Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Fallon is a fucktard, Meyers is a douchebag whos probably gonna get fired soon, Kimmel is for old people and retards, Stewart doesnt give a poo poo anymore, Wilmore is an anti-intellectual racist who shouldnt be on TV.

@Midnight is fun and the host is crazy cute.

This is how I feel about late night TV.

Now lets discuss in depth the intricacies of Late Night TV for 4 more pages until we just start talking about caramel machiatos and cucking again.

GBS is getting stale, like the humor of the hosts on the aforementioned TV shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
The last good thing Conan did was the Monorail episode of the Simpsons.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
the talk show format is a relic of 50 years ago and I don't know who their audience is

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

The Landstander posted:

They also moved Leno to 10 PM and gave him a crummy talk show in that spot, which was bombing enough that local news broadcasts were getting hugely pissed for ruining their run-in. Conan's style was probably too niche regardless, but this really intensified the problem.

loving jay :argh: The affiliates didn't want that poo poo either, it screwed the 11:00 news too.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Yaos posted:

Late night shows are just very long commercials. Even when they try to do something that isn't advertising a product or service they still manage to plug something into it.

lol conan has had actual movie trailers play on his show before. no jokes, no commentary, just killing 2 and a half minutes of air time by playing the Xmen DoFP trailer... followed by a commercial break

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

psyopmonkey posted:

@Midnight is fun and the host is crazy cute..

@Midnight 's quality completely depends on the guests which have been pretty 50/50, imo. if the guests are lacking, then hardwick has to pick up the slack and the show starts to crawl.

also does anybody even watch Larry Wilmore. I've tried like three times and i can not do it. that show loving blows. sorry larry

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

TwoStepBoog posted:

@Midnight 's quality completely depends on the guests which have been pretty 50/50, imo. if the guests are lacking, then hardwick has to pick up the slack and the show starts to crawl.

also does anybody even watch Larry Wilmore. I've tried like three times and i can not do it. that show loving blows. sorry larry

He needs to keep it a'hundred and get his old rear end the gently caress off TV.

Hardwick is so cute I honestly dont care whats coming out of his maw. The @midnight episode with Harmon was pretty epic.

Youre right, it is rather hit/miss.

:shrug:

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Frostwerks posted:

lol conan has had actual movie trailers play on his show before. no jokes, no commentary, just killing 2 and a half minutes of air time by playing the Xmen DoFP trailer... followed by a commercial break

like that was the his post-monologue and first mini-sketch bit

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Hardwick's standup is godawful. He's a self obsessed softball interviewer on his podcast and his post show wrap up bore fests on AMC should be web streams.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
jimmy kimmel's first week was an amazing television trainwreck, snoop dogg was the guest host, there was an open bar for the audience and the guests, george clooney got smashed on the first show and an audience member threw up, and since nobody had any hopes for the show beyond that, everybody watched because we like watching poo poo go down in flames

twelve years later I guess the joke's on us

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
all this discussion is completely moot as the Eric Andre Show is the greatest talk show ever made

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 days!

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

all this discussion is completely moot as the Eric Andre Show is the greatest talk show ever made

For proof, here's his interview with the previously-mentioned George Clooney

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdH3BQ6rWMw

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

^^I prefer the Reese Witherspoon interview myself.

This bit is from when Conan was on the Tonight Show so it should invalidate the thread title.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odjImP9SMSE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4pVmdEctgQ

edit: One of the better bits from TBS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33zPlnhymCU

Cacator fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Unicorns bite, but their bites feel GOOD.

Andrés du Bouchet on Twitter posted:

Comedy in 2015 needs a severe motherfucking shakeup. No celebrities, no parodies, no pranks, no mash-ups or hashtag wars. I'm fat.
seconded on all counts, dude was right

Though I will admit that A.D. Miles has come up with some decent stuff for Fallon's show. However, Seth's show is pretty terrible. I just hope that if Lorne Michaels retires or dies SNL will stop sucking and stop sending mediocre hosts to late night shows.

Kimmel is quick-witted and occasionally OK (even though his show reeks of late '90s to me). James Corden is horrid. Conan's show seems like it's somehow less adventurous than the COB Tonight Show, Letterman has been phoning it in for decades now, Stewart's schtick is getting stale and Wilmore is unwatchable. Looking forward to our Lord and Savior, Colbert.

And I will add that the best late night host in history is, of course, Space Ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3yjMeBDPZw

• Locked thread