Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which card do you most want to see unbanned
Sword of the Meek
Dig Through Time
Bloodbraid Elf
Molimo, Maro-Sorcerer
View Results

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Decklists are public and can be viewed here: 1:13 PM <BelZoness> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eN0P0vAV3i7EmyeHLDxub-6Sob5-9CFiw6VbvZIM8Hc/edit?usp=sharing

DECKLIST SUBMISSION DEADLINE 12:00 AM CST May 24th

In memoriam :911:

Not affiliated with Thunderdome™, same format as those though, post your deck list so I can catalog it, rounds depend on number of players but I imagine it’ll be around 5 with a cut to top 8. We’ll play it out on xmage, with workarounds like Cockatrice available in-case xmage is xmage.

Format is Modern obv., thinking of starting it in a week but might bump that up to two because of:

THE UNBANS:

Yep, that’s right, for this tournament I’d like to unban the following three cards:

As a way of using the tournament as a kind of suspect testing. I’m completely open to discussion on leaving them banned, or if enough people want another card and can give some good justifications for why it should be unbanned I’m up for doing that too.

Why I’d like to unban these:

Sword of the Meek: On the banlist since the format was created due to its inclusion in the Thopter Depths deck in extended. With Thopter Foundry, creates a combo that turns every mana source you have into life gain and a 1/1. This is in comparison to Twin, the combo there killing outright. Thopter Foundry is a lot easier to pull off and allows you to easily hold up Remand, benefits from artifact support and search, but the combo is slow, both pieces are still at sorcery speed, and they don’t do much on their own. I’m interested in trying it out because it would allow for an artifact deck that isn’t Robots or R/G Tron. Sword of the Meek has never had a fair shake in the format so I’d like to test it out to see if it really would cause problems for aggressive decks like Burn or Infect, or if it would just be another deck in Modern.

Dig Through Time: Banned out with Treasure Cruise in January, Dig Through Time is the best filter effect in Modern since Ponder and Preordain. It was also overshadowed by its P9 brother, Treasure Cruise during the short time it was legal. Right now in Modern if you’re a non-combo deck with Blue in it you’re sitting in a pretty awful position, and even some of the blue combo decks in Modern are still pretty bad. There’s no doubt that DTT would get played in Twin, but Twin’s use of more permanents means they have less delve fuel and generally played it as around a 2 of back when it was legal. The decks that would benefit the most from it are UWR control, Scapeshift, and (probably) UR Storm, all of which are very much fringe decks right now. I would like to see what the addition of Dig does for those, and if it was a case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater in banning it or, if like Treasure Cruise it really is just too good for Modern.

Bloodbraid Elf:
The once and future king of Jund in Standard, Modern, and Legacy, BBE was banned 2 years ago when Jund made up about 25% of the format. This did exactly nothing to stop Jund from tearing up the format at the time, the real culprit of Jund’s dominance turning out to be the one mana planeswalker that allowed Jund to play in the land of ultra-greed with gleeful abandon, grant them life on demand, and hate on any graveyard deck in the format to boot. Since both these were banned, Jund’s fallen heavily to become Junk’s boring brother that nobody talks about or hangs out with. Since DTT will make Twin stronger, I’d like to unban BBE to put some additional pressure on that deck.
Plus we can settle once and for all which is the better value creature in Modern: Siege Rhino or BBE. :v:

So, questions, comments, decklists, let’s have at it

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I suspect Infect will not care very much about life gain from Thopter/Sword.

Also I'm in. I'll probably jam Jund or something.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

I suspect Infect will not care very much about life gain from Thopter/Sword.

Also I'm in. I'll probably jam Jund or something.

It'll probably care about the flying blockers.

Not sure if I want to join yet.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Ban every card in modern. Ban the format.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Ramos posted:

It'll probably care about the flying blockers.

Not sure if I want to join yet.

Sure it'll be a little worse but there's still Apostle's Blessing/Distortion Strike.

Partial Octopus posted:

Ban every card in modern. Ban the format.

But mostly this, yeah. Also unban Jace.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Unban Second Sunrise :unsmigghh:

(Actually, it's probably fine in a chess-clock format. On the other hand, it's not going to teach us anything interesting beyond "yes, eggs is the best deck ever".)

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Jabor posted:

(Actually, it's probably fine in a chess-clock format. On the other hand, it's not going to teach us anything interesting beyond "yes, eggs is the best deck ever".)

Eggs wasn't banned because it took too long. Eggs was banned because it's fun to play
'

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I'm in. I'll probably be running something like amulet bloom or burn. I run them a lot in paper.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
You're gonna cry when I cascade bbe into sword of the meek and then dig up a remand to protect it.

I'm in.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
There are a couple of different decks I'd really like to play, but if nobody plays it I'll go Twin just so there's that deck running around to act as a comparison.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Partial Octopus posted:

Eggs wasn't banned because it took too long. Eggs was banned because it's fun to play
'

Wait, what? I knew Ken Nagle was a designer, when did he get in charge of bannings? :v:

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
I would be down for this as long as we do the 2 week set up.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I would love to do this but I'm moving next week and am scrambling to find a job in my new city, so I really need to focus on some other stuff right now. Doing trial un-bans sounds like a really interesting idea too, especially since I'm of the camp that Dig was only guilty by association with Cruise.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I'll do this, don't know if I'll play with any of the unbans though.

Lonely Bridge
Apr 12, 2008

I'm interested if I can find the time, I'll bookmark and work on putting together a list. Good idea with the unbans, could be terrible but whatever

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Sigma-X posted:

You're gonna cry when I cascade bbe into sword of the meek and then dig up a remand to protect it.

I'm in.

I'll laugh when you Cascade into Remand and have to make an interesting choice to either bottom it or Remand your own Elf.

Just kidding, I don't play Modern.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Lets Pickle posted:

I'll laugh when you Cascade into Remand and have to make an interesting choice to either bottom it or Remand your own Elf.

Just kidding, I don't play Modern.

Four mana draw-a-card with buyback? That sounds like Value to me.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.
I might be interested but I don't have PM. Let me know around when you want to do it.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Count me up!
Err sign me in.
Crap.

Lonely Bridge
Apr 12, 2008

Ancestral Visions could be a cool one to consider unbanning, maybe in future iterations or whatnot (I just want to cascade into this with a BBE tbh)

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I'm in. I want those cards to stay banned.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

always be closing posted:

I'm in. I want those cards to stay banned.

You're talking about Sword, Dig and BBE?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Jabor posted:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Backno posted:

I would be down for this as long as we do the 2 week set up.

Yeah at this point I think 2 weeks is most reasonable, it'll give people time to build and if they feel like it, to test

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

unban hypergenesis

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

You're talking about Sword, Dig and BBE?

Correct, I would like to play a tournament under the current modern B/R

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

always be closing posted:

Correct, I would like to play a tournament under the current modern B/R

If enough people would like that I'm up for it, otherwise I'd just start a new non unban one up in two months after this one finishes

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I'll support whatever you do😘

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

If enough people would like that I'm up for it, otherwise I'd just start a new non unban one up in two months after this one finishes

I'm out if I can't play with Bloodbraid. We should probably unban Deathrite and Jace too.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
if we're going to unban enough cards that we're merely playing lovely legacy I'm out. I think the three in the OP are fine, but I think everything else on the banlist has pretty good reason for being there.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
I'm down, probably going to be Junding it up.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Sigma-X posted:

if we're going to unban enough cards that we're merely playing lovely legacy I'm out. I think the three in the OP are fine, but I think everything else on the banlist has pretty good reason for being there.

I want to see if Jace will be kept in check by BBE like everyone says. Or if it would even be good.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Jace is still really good. He wasn't "kept in check" by BBE at all during Standard, BBE was merely his equal sometimes.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

Jace is still really good. He wasn't "kept in check" by BBE at all during Standard, BBE was merely his equal sometimes.

Jace has fallen pretty hard in Legacy, at least.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

Jace has fallen pretty hard in Legacy, at least.

Yeah he has a harder time in a format where the fundamental turn is much lower than his mana cost.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I'm down. Wanted to test my janky weird modern deck, this is a good time.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Right now I'm trying to fit Thopter Sword into Shouta Yasouka's 2014 Tezzeret list. I haven't been able to playtest it but I feel like Stony Silence absolutely murders it.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

Right now I'm trying to fit Thopter Sword into Shouta Yasouka's 2014 Tezzeret list. I haven't been able to playtest it but I feel like Stony Silence absolutely murders it.

It only hits his fast mana/citadels and you have 6 duress effects after board / 4 main plus negates. It seems like you have enough ways to keep it from resolving until you drop a planeswalker and stop caring.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I'm in if you can get mcmagic and everblight to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zoness posted:

I'm in if you can get mcmagic and everblight to play.

How about you join anyway

Sigma-X posted:

It only hits his fast mana/citadels and you have 6 duress effects after board / 4 main plus negates. It seems like you have enough ways to keep it from resolving until you drop a planeswalker and stop caring.

I hope to live the dream of beating someone to death with a now inert Darksteel Citadel

• Locked thread