Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2
Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions:

Another morning, another day closer to whatever. When I get to class I usually just sit back, put my headphones in and let Hugo do a couple of sweeps of the building. Give him a chance to stretch his wings. I can take stock of my class myself.

Yep, just another morning. Nathan is setting Franklin straight (ha ha) in his usual subtle way, like he's high school Batman or something. I'll...let him get on with that. Odd that Colin hasn't got involved, 'fag' is practically the only word in his vocabulary...but he's sleeping at his desk. I let that little impulse of curiosity spread through my head and now there's a weight on my right shoulder, claws digging into my collarbone...

Hugo. I let the thought sit at the front of my mind. I don't even have to look to know he's turning his feathery head. Why's Colin so tired anyway?

the runt? his brothers have given sanctuary to a wanted lawbreaker in their dwelling. Colin fears the man, and he fears the law, so he has been staying on the streets these past three nights. his brothers do not care.

That's...actually kinda sad. I'll have to be nice to Colin if we ever talk for god knows what reason. I sink back into my chair and turn the volume up on my phone and -

you are determined to ignore this spectacle?

drat it. Yes, Hugo, I was. Nyx's complete lack of shame was funny the first time, now it's just embarrassing. She's ended up stretched out across Sarah and Jess and what the gently caress is Sarah doing that's actually kinda hot and Alister is watching like a creep and now Alex (?!) is involved and Jess is running off -

see how the princess demands attention. how she wilts when it is denied to her. you gave her that attention once, but it would never have been enough.

Way to twist the knife, stupid bird. You think I should follow her?

Hugo is hopping to and forth on my desk. He doesn't answer. gently caress it. I don't understand Jess, and this might be my best opportunity to find out what her deal is. I shoot Sarah a quick text:

quote:

smooth moves :P tell me about it at lunch?
Then I look straight at Hugo, tuning everything else out. Got to phrase this carefully. Hugo. Where is Jess headed? How can I get her to open up to me? Hopefully it's just the bathroom, we've only got a few minutes.

Gaze into the abyss
(10:14:06 AM) Gato: !r 2d6+2
(10:14:07 AM) Krysmbot: Gato, 5+2 = 7

Lucid and detailed please, taking the condition Drained. Marking exp for rolling Dark. In case anybody's wondering, Hugo and Anna usually communicate telepathically, but she slips into actual talking if she's stressed.

Gato fucked around with this message at 10:48 on May 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions: Drained

Deep breath. Always a bit weird when Hugo does that. More efficient than speech, I guess. I look up and get an eyeful of Nyx's bare chest. That's...I'm gonna have a hard time forgetting that. Hmm.

Nyx can have a figurative string on Anna

Ahem. Anyway. I push my chair back, letting Hugo hop back on my shoulder, and walk out of the classroom as casually as possible. Thankfully, Nyx and Jess would have gone in different directions -

what do you hope to gain from this pursuit? you saw how freely your princess gives her affections. she saw nothing in your...tryst. I thought you had been wise enough to concur.

The other half of my brain is catching up. Why am I chasing Jess? Hugo is right, of course. We just met up, and made out. Nothing more.

I want to know why, Hugo.

I want to know why she ended up crying this morning. I want to know why she always goes to that playground. I want to know why I ended up making out with a girl I barely knew. Why I found her so irritating when we had so much in common, and why we kept on talking despite that. And I want to know what the abyss was - and if I can keep her from falling.

curiosity without caution has brought many to ruin.

I know that, stupid bird.

I catch sight of Jess as we approach the park, but she's not alone, someone else is chasing her...Max? Hugo almost hisses. He really doesn't like Max, for some reason.

the deceiver. be on your guard.

I hang back, but not out of sight. I want Jess to see me, if she looks. Hugo, go find out what they're saying.

Edited to tone down Hugo's knowledge.

Gato fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 11, 2015

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions:

Despite my intention to stand tall, I find myself shrinking behind a pair of bins while Hugo relates the conversation to me.

the deceiver is consoling the princess. I infer that it is not the first time it has done so, nor the first time they have met in this location.

That...stings. Huh. It really shouldn't. None of this is a surprise. So why am I clenching my fists?

the princess is exposing herself-

Wait what. I raise my head and see Jess taking an all-but-topless selfie, pouting at her phone. Max is holding her t-shirt.

this is a snare of the harlot's design. I urge you to leave it well alone.

He means Nyx. loving sexy Nyx. How the hell does she do it? She's pushed desperate so far it's come out the other side and now everyone else is falling over her instead of the other way around-

Breathe. Hugo, what are they planning? An open ended question, the kind he loves.

the princess has invited the harlot to her dwelling. these two have agreed to wear the same clothes, in order that-

gently caress it, I'm not sitting around to listen to their plans for a threesome. This whole thing was clearly just some extended, hosed up foreplay, and Hugo was right and I was an idiot for following in the first place. I take out my phone, out of habit, and see Sarah's text. Hmm. I reply:

quote:

looks like Max wants in on the Nyx action, knew you left somebody out ;) what's her deal anyway?
Then one to Jess, because I'm feeling masochistic. I try to ignore the fact that the last texts on screen are us arranging to meet up here before.

quote:

hey you ok?
Then one more. I ask Hugo for Max's number, and he gives it to me. Hopefully she won't recognise my number. I text her:

quote:

yo i saw Susan heading down behind the school so youre clear to come back to class
I stand up and get ready to go back. I need to clear my head of this mess. But I don't. I lean against a folorn-looking tree and wait to see what happens.

Edited to tone down Hugo's knowledge. Max can have xp from Misdirection if she attributes the text to somebody else.

Gato fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 11, 2015

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions: Drained

I can tell Hugo's smirking (yes, birds can smirk) when I get Max's text back. an exemplary failure. do not rely on your enemy making the choice you wish them to make. the better stratagem is that which leaves you the victor regardless of their actions.

I shake him off my shoulder. He disappears up into the tree.

Max has handed the shirt back to Jess, but she's still topless. I take a picture of my own. There's not much detail at this distance, but Jess's hair is unmistakeable, as is her bare chest. Hugo clucks approvingly from somewhere above me.

gently caress. Why the gently caress am I even out here, taking pictures of Jess like some god drat perverted stalker? This is ridiculous. I just want to put my head on Sarah's shoulder and bitch about everything. I turn to head back into the building. Then I get a text from Jess.

Oh gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you Jess. At least Nyx has the decency to own her own loving sluttiness. Jess is just wearing out that loving depression card getting everyone falling over her. gently caress. I tap out my reply with as much composure as I can manage:

quote:

I know what you mean :( hope your day gets better ;)

I attach the picture and send it.

Shut Down Jess
(8:49:44 PM) Gato: !r 2d6+1
(8:49:45 PM) Krysmbot: Gato, 8+1 = 9

that was foolish.

I know. Stupid loving bird. Stupid loving me.

you have wasted your leverage. whatever trust you might have had, you will have lost. she may be weak, but she is still more than capable of hurting you.

Like she hasn't already.

You'll just have to keep an eye on her, won't you?

**Giving Jess the condition Shadowed. She can give one back.**

I sit down in one of the empty classrooms near the back door. Deep breath. I ask Hugo for Susan's number.

quote:

yo max is hiding in tht creepy playground behind the school with some grl

Manipulate Susan
(9:03:29 PM) Gato: !r 2d6-1
(9:03:31 PM) Krysmbot: Gato, 7-1 = 6

Let's hope she buys it.

Marking exp for rolling Cold Edited for formatting.

Gato fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 11, 2015

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: Drained, Stalker

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Anna: "U got beef with that bitch 2?" is the reply text. "Wht she do 2 u?" Susan takes a string on you, you've shown that you'll give her what she wants without a price or a fight

Hugo is hopping around in agitation. tread lightly around this one. she will be a liability as an ally, and implacable as a foe. and she has the high ground already.

Yeah, no poo poo. I saw what she did to Janice that time. And she's got this insane grudge against Max for... god knows what reason. Hugo?

the deceiver's mere proximity to this... fury's partner was enough to render her a target. she is not stable, I urge you not to provoke her-

That's enough. Now your 'deceiver' will get what's coming to her. You should be happy, Hugo.

quote:

smae as you. slut jst sticks her fcking nose in everything. cant get her own gf so she fucks w other peoples

I sit back. A text from Jess comes in almost as soon as I reply to Susan. Then three more. Well, that bridge has been well and truly burned -

Wait. Am I...crying? What the hell. God, I'm hosed up.

Hugo is standing on the desk in front of me. His pointed tongue darts in and out, licking the teardrops off the wood.

now is the mighty winter, the final age of the world. there exists no mercy between men, nor trust, nor kinship. you must stand strong, till the horn sounds on the plain where battle surges. i will not leave your side until that day.

Yeah. That's great, Hugo. Just what a girl needs to hear. I slump in the chair, his words sitting at the front of my mind like stones, the same words I've heard dozens of times. The mighty winter...gently caress. Is it really true?

"How the gently caress do I make up for this, Hugo?"

No answer.

"There has to be something good I can do for somebody."

Gaze into the Abyss
(10:58:53 PM) Gato: !r 2d6+2
(10:58:53 PM) Krysmbot: Gato, 9+2 = 11

The visions show me what I must do; the visions cure me, removing Drained.

Gato fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 11, 2015

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Jess

The sounds of the city outside the bathroom window fade beneath the water. The blood pounding in your head almost sounds like the beating of wings...

You can see yourself half-naked in the abandoned park. Max is holding your t-shirt. You lean in to kiss her, and now the shirt is gone and you're kissing yourself, your face pressed against its perfect double. The scene recedes before your eyes as though the cameraman is backing away slowly - and now it's gone, you're running through a blurry maze of empty corridors and -

You are sitting at a desk. Its surface is a black mirror like a smartphone screen. You lean forward, and see Anna's mournful face staring back, black lines tracing out the paths of tears on her cheeks. Slowly, deliberately, you raise your fist, then bring it crashing down on the screen, shattering it just as the desk begins to shake rapidly. The screen shows the selfie you took with Anna in the park, the network of cracks radiating from your face -

For a moment, everything is the colour of venous blood in water. The wingbeats are louder now. The darkness retreats and you are watching Sarah sitting in the nurse's room with Nyx. Her smile reminds you of nothing so much as an animal's maw. Nyx is grinning back, her hair shining like starlight. You watch Sarah straddle her and kiss her and tease her and -

You watch it all, then you watch it again.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: Stalker

**this happens after Anna finishes Gazing. I'll edit this into a later post so it all make sense chronologically.

Back to reality. More messages from Jess. Facebook as well this time. I smile. If she wants to threaten me some more, she's wasting her time.

curious.

Oh come on, Hugo. I'm not playing this game. I've hosed up enough for one morning.

this is an opportunity. she has ceded the high ground to you.

...ugh, fine. He'll only keep bothering me. I look at the latest message.

...that's unexpected. Seriously, I crossed the loving line. I'd probably have reacted how she did, minus the lawyers bit. Why the 180? I scroll up... wait, what? Anything to do with what?

the slave has been playing her games again. what little power she has-

I wave Hugo away, and open the texts from Sarah...

oh, Sarah. You certainly didn't waste any time. Hope you had fun. I try my hardest to muster some sympathy for Jess, but seriously. Nothing about this was in any way surprising. How the hell could I have had anything to do with - oh poo poo. That's what this was all about, wasn't it? That's why Jess ran off this morning? Best friends, but one of them wants something more. What a loving cliche. Where does making out with random emo girls in playgrounds come into the script?

...that's more or less what I type. I'm ready to hit send when I see it. Jess's arm stretched out in front of us, holding her phone for a selfie. Her scars in the sunlight. And the abyss opening before her - before us? - again.

Hugo is looking at me.

Deep breath. Gotta keep this neutral. Composed. Give nothing away.

quote:

no, I didn't have anything to do with this. yes, we should talk.

Hugo bobs his head in approval. very good. the initiative is yours now.

...this isn't right. I send her another.

quote:

I'm really sorry for everything. Hang in there, ok? :')

**These messages will go to Jess's Facebook account, since Anna is replying to her most recent message

And breathe out again. I start replying to Sarah. I'm smiling, suddenly. She's a force of nature, all right. A free spirit. So is Nyx, probably. Hopefully Jess will work that out before too long. It doesn't pay to get too attached.

quote:

holy poo poo that was faster than expected. your place = good, had a hell of a morning. less tits involved than you tho. told you they were real ;)

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

**Note: this happens before Anna replies to Jess and Sarah.

Thanks, Hugo. The bird sucks at cheering me up but...he does know how to make me think. Nathan? I don't know him very well. Hugo's pretty wary of him (spot the loving pattern), calls him a zealot, and he got oddly evasive the last time I asked about the guy. He's pretty intense, and definitely the wrong side of self-righteous. He'd probably judge me pretty hard for what I did, and that's probably what I need but...not yet. Not just yet.

Huh, I've stopped crying. Can you give me Nathan's number, Hugo? Thanks. I'll mark that one In Case of Spiritual Emergency. Or In Case of Future Fuckup.

Helping Nathan, or pleasing Sarah? I can feel the barbs in that distinction Hugo's drawn oh-so-carefully, but I'm not going to fall for it. What does Hugo know about friendship? Sarah certainly makes me feel better, so if I can do the same or anything like it for her, that's a win in my book. Nice try, Hugo. I'll talk things over with her later, and she'll help me laugh and not care so much about everything...

...and we pick up here.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

I duck in and out of doorways and bus stands as I make my way towards Sarah's house. My jacket is soaked through, heavy like chain mail; my leggings are clinging like a second skin. You couldn't have told me it would rain, Hugo?

I believe the most apt answer to that would be this: not my department.

I scowl and dodge a spray of water from a passing truck. He's loving with me, of course. He could tell me every weather report from here to the Pacific. I stop under the edge of a gas station roof and check my phone. There's a reply from Jess. Doesn't look like she bought my apology. That's not especially surprising. Best not to push it. Though it's not like this will be any easier in person.

quote:

ok

I ignore the part about Sarah. What could I say? If Jess wants to pin this all on the girl Nyx hosed rather than, you know, Nyx... like I said, I don't understand her. All I can do is help her hurt less. Hopefully. If we can get over the whole stalking thing. And the whole making out thing. God, this is going to be awkward -

the slave has a talent for making enemies. what does that suggest to you?

I don't even bother to answer. I step back out into the rain, shivering as it flattens my hair.

she has no agenda but her own survival. since she has that in hand, her thoughts turn to her own advancement. you must be wary.

Mighty winter, Hugo. Thought that was the way things were. Or were you serious about me doing good for others? Talk about mixed messages. I know what he's going to say - he'll reply with some vague crap about keeping me strong, keeping me safe, guiding me to my fate blah blah blah.

He doesn't, though. The silence stretches on until the urge to twist my head around becomes unbearable. But when I do, he's not there.

Hugo?

My shoulder feels oddly naked as I walk the remaining distance to Sarah's lovely apartment block. I hit the buzzer for apartment #6. Be like that, then.

His voice sounds slightly further away than usual. know that even as you walk into danger, I shall remain at your side.

I smile. But not literally, of course. He doesn't reply.

Edited in a short reply to Jess.

Gato fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 14, 2015

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

I'm leaning against the doorway when Nathan comes powering out of the rain and bangs on the door. He's certainly got the single-minded determination look down, though he's a bit soggy to smoulder properly. I'm waiting for Hugo's usual interjection, but nothing comes. Nathan is staring at the door, breathing heavily. He doesn't seem to have noticed me. I drop Sarah a text:

quote:

yo you wanna let me and your mystery guest in?

"Hey Nathan. How's that peripheral vision working out for you?" I sidle into the doorway next to him. "You might have more luck with this." I press Sarah's buzzer again.

Hugo, what the hell is he doing here?

His voice is even more distant, as if he's speaking down a bad phone line. ...cannot help himself....faithful...enemy or friend... And of course he's in cryptic bullshit mode. I look at Nathan more carefully. A memory drags itself up - Sarah and I laughing over an inspirational letter somebody had left for her...

"You know, I always knew that notes-in-lockers poo poo was too subtle for you. Taking another shot at saving her soul? Better be careful you don't get dragged down into sin... forces beyond your understanding and all that crap." I give him my spookiest grin. Messing with straight-edge types is always fun.

Shut down Nathan
(1:39:58 PM) Gato: !r 2d6+1
(1:39:58 PM) Krysmbot: Gato, 9+1 = 10
Nathan can have the condition Shadowed

Gato fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 16, 2015

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Sarah gives me a look when Nathan steps in. I shrug. I'm not expecting him to be there long. I take the bowl off Sarah and dump it straight in Nathan's hands, taking the lighter with me. I swipe a pack of cigarettes off the counter and light one as I sink into a beanbag. That's what I needed. I give Erik-with-a-K a wave. He's a pretty cool guy, though we're not quite friends. He tries a bit too hard with the whole punk thing for my liking. Still, I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a problem with me, which makes a nice change.

I smirk when I see the newspaper under the bird perch. I'm pretty sure I've never seen Hugo take a poo poo except the last time we were over here. Stupid passive-aggressive bird. I've got no idea how Sarah can see him and I don't think he does either. That's probably why he freaks out about us being friends.

Nathan's still standing. "Hey, you were pretty sinful this morning, Sarah. Have you heard the good news yet?" I lean back with a smile. This should be interesting.

Gato fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 16, 2015

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

I sit back and listen while Nathan threatens Sarah. You hurt a lot of people... People like Jess? I wince inwardly as I run over everything that happened this morning. I hope she's ok, caught between Sarah and Nyx... maybe I should ask Sarah to be more careful. She doesn't always appreciate how fragile people are. And me...I'll sort something out with Jess myself. Tomorrow.

Then the impossible happens. Sarah's...apologising? Huh. She's obviously not got her heart in it, but, still, it's...something. And Nathan... he's being fair, if he really did speak to Nyx. He's even taking a hit off the bowl. The whole thing is still a bit tense and awkward, but I'm still a little relieved that I didn't have to break out the popcorn -

- then Nathan freaks the gently caress out. He tenses up, then he throws the loving bowl at the wall and the bowl loving explodes what the gently caress Nathan and I'm on my feet before I know it. Fight or flight is kicking in and then he says - something dangerous? What the gently caress? Who does he think he is? "Nathan what the gently caress are you doing? Tell me this isn't all some loving hero fantasy." I keep my voice as steady as I can, trying to control my breathing.

Shut down Nathan
(11:52:44 PM) Gato: !r 2d6+1
(11:52:46 PM) Krysmbot: Gato, 7+1 = 8
Giving him the condition Delusional. He can give Anna one in return.

I can feel Hugo's rasping, hissing voice mixing with my own, but the drat bird is nowhere to be seen. Always by my side, was it? rear end in a top hat. My lizard brain is screaming at me that Nathan could probably throw me through a wall, and the word 'dangerous' is bouncing around in my brain -

Hold Steady
(12:06:34 AM) Gato: !r 2d6+1
(12:06:36 AM) Krysmbot: Gato, 5+1 = 6

Where the gently caress are you, Hugo?

**Exp for rolling cold, since I didn't take it before.

Gato fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 17, 2015

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Harm 0/4 | Experience 3/5 | Conditions: Stalker, foolish

Ok, ok...breathe, Anna. Sarah kicked him pretty drat hard, but I don't need Hugo to tell that Nathan is ready for a fight. Fortunately, Sarah de-escalates the situation. That's some self-control right there, because I can tell she's still spitting mad but... good. A fight was the last thing I needed on top of everything else. I feel guilty as soon as I finish that thought. I just stood there and watched. Again. Is that all I'm good for? Watching other people sort their poo poo out?

I shake my head. Nathan is still talking about how dangerous the place is. A...beacon of nothingness? I mean, the building is pretty dilapidated but still, that's a bit harsh. Though, come to think of it, it is a bit weird how nobody seems to live here apart from Sarah. Huh. Why didn't that bother me before?

now would be an excellent time to leave. the slave's attention is focused on the zealot. make what excuses you think necessary and go.

Hugo! Where the gently caress were you? It takes all my effort not to shout. The stupid bird is still nowhere to be seen. If this place is so loving dangerous, then why -

I am but a scout, an outrider. I cannot match the powers arrayed here. vigilance is the best defence I can offer you.

So Nathan's right? This place -

the zealot seeks this kind of danger. it is his delusion that by confronting it, he may regain what he has lost.

I don't care about what Nathan wants. I just want to know what's going on. Sarah is... flirting? with Nathan. That's... novel. Doomed to failure. But I need a distraction. "Just gonna grab something to drink. Erik, Sarah, you want anything?" I head toward the kitchen.

Hugo, you are going to tell me exactly what is so dangerous about this place, right now.

Gaze into the Abyss
(7:19:04 AM) Gato: !r 2d6+2
(7:19:05 AM) Krysmbot: Gato, 10+2 = 12

Visions are lucid and detailed; visions cure me, removing foolish. Marking exp for Dark.

Gato fucked around with this message at 08:50 on May 18, 2015

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Harm 0/4 | Experience 4/5 | Conditions: Stalker

Oh gently caress.

Hold Steady
(6:44:36 AM) Gato: !r 2d6 +1
(6:44:37 AM) Krysmbot: Gato, 3 +1 = 4

My knees are going weak. My hands grope along the counter, looking for something - anything - to hold onto. I can't take my eyes off the giant shadow holding Hugo. Rabbits and headlights and moths and flames and oh gently caress I want to throw up - Oh god Hugo I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry -

master your fear. it values your secrecy. that gives you the initiative. Hugo's voice is weak, almost unsteady but, what the gently caress, he's still loving strategising...

I laugh, though it comes out as a strangled sob. I probably sound hysterical. I can feel myself rocking back and forwards.

there is considerable leeway in the terms it has offered. For gently caress's sake Hugo, I don't give a poo poo about terms and conditions and strategy and initiative I just want you back on my shoulder and that thing gone and -

this is not an end, for either of us. your fate still awaits on the plain where battle surges. until that day, I will always remain by your side.

Ok. Ok. Deep breath. My teeth are chattering like a cartoon. I look the shadow in the eye, or where its eyes should be. "I understand. I'll do as you ask. Just let him go. Please."

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

And just like that, the monster is gone. Hugo falls to the floor, but he opens his wings halfway and flaps his way to my hand, clumsily. He ruffles his feathers indignantly when I try to hug him.

Another deep breath. I pour myself a glass of water. My head feels like it's been in a washing machine. I find myself speaking in a low voice, out loud. "The slave, huh. So that was the master?"

that is correct. its name is RUL.

I can't help shuddering. "How long has it... has Sarah..."

for as long as you have known her. it seems likely, judging from her history, that she has been in its power since shortly before she joined your school.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

given its power relative to mine, the fact that I was aware of its presence suggests that it was almost certainly aware of mine. I played your charming pet, feigned my ignorance and enforced yours.

I'm too tired to argue. I know I should be thinking about the deal I made, about what all of this meant, for me and for Sarah... but I can't. Only one thought shines clearly in my mind.

I'm not alone. I was never alone.

----

I go back to the others, sitting back down on the bean bag. I probably look like hell, but none of them bring it up. Hugo sits on the perch, watching me carefully. Despite everything, I can't help feel a little safer. Sarah brings everyone beer, passes a joint around. This time, I don't turn it down. I just need to switch off for a while. I watch Sarah cosy up to Nathan with half a smile on my face. She's not as subtle as she thinks she is. Erik looks at me, 'what the gently caress man' written in his face. I just smirk at him. That's how she rolls, my Sarah. My only friend. What were the odds that we'd meet, both of us with our lovely demonic guardian angels? And hers may be significantly shittier than mine but... she seems like she's doing alright. I watch her hand creep up Nathan's leg. Is she rebelling against RUL? Or doing his bidding? Or just being her? Does it even matter?

you cannot trust her. her master will swallow you whole, and nothing will remain, and she will laugh and move on to her next foolish victim.

She hasn't hurt me yet, Hugo. And now, I'll be ready for it, when it happens. And you'll keep an eye on her, won't you?

I laugh automatically at the TV as the world sinks in and out of focus. I'm happy content. It feels like forever since I could say that. I'm not alone. And Sarah... somehow, I'll let her know that she's not alone either.

**Spending my string on Sarah to give her the condition Shadowed

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Sarah heads for the bathroom, so I find myself watching Nathan make small talk with Erik. He's... a decent guy, Nathan. I haven't forgotten that when I was at my lowest, it was his name that Hugo mentioned first. And it's hard to feel so flippant about his words, with what I've seen. He put himself in danger he didn't understand, for the sake of someone he didn't like. That's something, alright.

you are correct. he could prove a useful ally, should you need protection from the fiend. the zealot has considerable strength of his own, and he would willingly use it to defend you if you play the innocent.

Way to ruin that thought, Hugo.

When Sarah comes back, there's a knowing gleam in her eyes giving her a decidedly self-satisfied air. I know that look; it means she's got plans. She joins me on the beanbag, tells me that Nyx and Jess are coming over. She makes it sound completely innocent, but that swagger as she left the bathroom... My stupid brain jumps straight to 'Something Is Up', do not pass Go, do not collect $200. "Do they know I'm here? Jess and I... some poo poo went down this morning, we still haven't... made up yet." God, that sounds so vague, so petty. I was all ready to tell Sarah everything when I showed up earlier but now... it seems so much less important. "And Nyx, well, the last time I saw you two you were feeling each other up in the middle of the goddamn classroom. I mean, nothing wrong with that, but... you know. I don't want to intrude."

There's not a huge amount of space on the beanbag. I find myself pressing against Sarah's chest, my head sinking onto her shoulder. It's... nice. I'll probably end up shipping out later before the party crew arrive, but for now, this is good.

Unintentional Turn On
(7:33:09 AM) Gato: !r 2d6+1
(7:33:09 AM) Krysmbot: Gato, 5+1 = 6
**Should have rolled 2d6-1, but it wouldn't have made a difference.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

I notice that Sarah didn't tell me if they knew I was here or not. drat. I don't like the idea of meeting Jess if I can't decide the terms of engagement... ugh, no, that's thinking like Hugo. It'll be fine. Sarah's got my back. I still don't understand what the hell is going on with her and Jess. I think back to that text from Jess - she seemed pretty drat pissed at Sarah, probably for sleeping with Nyx. Does Sarah know about that? Will everything blow up again?

it seems your princess makes a poor enemy, for you and your... friend. Huh. So she's graduated from slave now? she is too desperate for affirmation to stand the thought of anyone disliking her. Yeah. She apologised to me pretty drat quickly, after all. Maybe this'll be ok -

your friend plans to take advantage of that desperation. she and the harlot mean to use the princess as they would have used her before.

...is that it? That's why they're coming over? More loving threesomes? What the gently caress am I meant to be doing when this happens, holding the camera? I'm almost ready to leave, then and there. But something in Sarah's voice, her smile...

She wants me to stay, doesn't she?

she does. she thinks that you -

gently caress. I don't need to hear any more. I'm over-thinking this. What have I got to lose? Worst case scenario, Jess and I bitch each other out a whole day early, and I get a front row ticket to the Nyx show. Hell, I can even talk to Nathan if he sticks around...

I don't reply to Sarah for a while. "Thanks for... yeah. Thanks for that. It'll be fine, she's not that bitchy. And, like, we both know that Nyx is the entertainment here, so don't let me make it awkward." And if people start stripping... well, who knows. Sarah's never shown any interest in me that way, and Nyx is honestly a bit too tacky for my tastes so...yeah. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

it is better that you prepare for these eventualities now. you cannot rely on maintaining your self-control in the moment.

Ew. Get out of my loving head, stupid bird. poo poo like that is exactly why sex is a decidedly low priority for me. Love you, Hugo.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

I'm pretty used to weird voices in my head. Hell, sometimes I'm not sure where my thoughts start and Hugo's end. I'd be a shrink's worst nightmare, or best customer if you want to be cynical about it. So it takes a couple of seconds for the whisper to register, and I have to strain really hard to hear it. Or whatever the right term is when there aren't any ears involved.

That you, Hugo?

It definitely didn't sound like anybody in the room. It's not Hugo's voice, or mine. And when that thing - RUL - was there, it didn't speak, the words just sort of...were. So what the gently caress is this? I feel a familiar twist in my stomach, the one that tells me that my brain is starting to roll downhill towards freakout central. Again. Doubts and questions swarm like insects. Who musn't spend the night together? Sarah and Nyx? Sarah and Jess? Am I going crazy? Is this some weird subconscious projection? Is this what happens when you bottle everything up? I knew I would loving snap some time but why now why now why now?

Hugo, I'm hearing this weird voice, please tell me I'm not going nuts, tell me you can track it or - There's a knock on the door. The voice fades. I realise I've been holding my breath. Not healthy, Anna. Hold that thought, Hugo.

Nyx's voice is muffled, but the words 'wants to gently caress here' are pretty unmistakeable. I roll my eyes, then stand up and head for the door. If I'm going to be the turd in this particular neon-coloured punchbowl, I might as well get some laughs out of it. I take one more deep breath, then open the door wide.

Gato fucked around with this message at 11:48 on May 21, 2015

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

So Jess doesn't want to capital-T Talk yet. I didn't think she would, but still, that's reassuring. But of course Sarah has to go yelling about drama, and I just know that word is going to hang around. poo poo could get very messy, especially since Sarah is pushing all of Jess's buttons, and not the fun ones. The girl has a serious chip on her shoulder.

she wants her suffering to have made her strong. she has yet to learn that there is more to strength than mere bravado.

Now is really not the time, Hugo. Now would be a good loving time to disappear. Last thing I need is Sarah pointing at my awesome pet raven. I know people think I'm crazy, but hopefully not that crazy.

Nyx basically ignores me, no sweat off my back. Like I said, tacky. Anyway. I go back to the beanbag while Jess gets into her bad-girl routine. I'll give her credit, she comes out of her first encounter with Charizard pretty well. She and Nyx are getting impressively touchy-feely, possibly without even realizing. The urge to shout at them to get a loving room is almost unbearable.

your resentment is misplaced. their understanding is fragile, founded as it is upon the princess' jealousy.

I feel a little flutter of satisfaction, which turns into disgust with myself in seconds. Stupid bird. Who the hell said anything about resentment? I'll sort that poo poo out tomorrow. I try to force my head back into reality. I need to chill the gently caress out. I don't have to talk, I don't have to play their drat games. I can let the alcohol and the bong do the heavy lifting. I wander through Netflix aimlessly, but Nyx's question distracts me. She clearly wasn't expecting company either. Was this really what Sarah had in mind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Sarah's Netflix has... a lot more movies than normal. Guess being that thing's slave servant has some perks. The apartment, the drugs... did they just come with the job? Or did she have to earn them somehow? I can tell Hugo's about to answer, but I'm not listening. I don't want to think about this now. Sarah sits down next to me and relieves me of entertainment duty. Seems the cabinet of curiosities has been opened. Nyx, Jess and Sarah are all chowing down on shrooms already. I've never tried them before - I'm honestly not that much of a drugs person. But, hell, what have I got to lose? Maybe it'll make Hugo shut up. Or freak out. God knows booze and weed don't do anything except make him self-righteous. So I grab what looks like a safe amount if I take less than Sarah, that's safe, right? off the scales. It tastes pretty drat grim.

Marking experience for taking the Bait. I'll edit in the advance later.

I take off my jacket and leave it safely to one side. I feel oddly vulnerable without my phone and headphones, and oddly exposed even though I'm just wearing leggings and a t-shirt. Deep breath. I take a second to survey the scene. Erik and Nathan don't seem to have made their mind up yet about all this. The other three are already tangled up on the couch. I... gently caress. Now what? I don't know if I'm ready to jump into that just yet. So should I just sit back and let the magic happen? gently caress. What does Sarah want?

I perch on the end of the couch and aim my voice at the mess. "Hey Sarah, this why you called me over? To show me all the fun you've been having? I know you like an audience." I do my best evil grin. I'm not serious...am I? "I'm getting some mixed messages here..."

Turn On Sarah
(11:38:30 PM) Gato: !r 2d6-1
(11:38:31 PM) Krysmbot: Gato, 7-1 = 6
**Tagging Desperate for Attention to take it up to 7. She can choose to give me a string, promise me something she thinks I want, or give herself to me.

• Locked thread