Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Hot -1, Cold +1, Volatile -1, Dark +2
Harm 0/4 | Experience: 1/5 | Conditions:

After I slip back into the shelter from whatever I've been that night, sleep comes pretty easy. Stealing is hard work, after all. So, my morning routine is pretty straightforward. Shower, clothes, etc. I then leave the shelter, and, once I'm sure I'm alone, I pick the lock on the shelter's outer basement door. One loose floorboard later, I'm carefully checking my stash of valuables to make sure that nothing has been removed. I know it sounds paranoid, but this stuff is all I really have. If someone else found out about it, I'd be screwed. By the time I get to school, I'm usually scarfing down whatever I picked up on the way. Today, I'm feeling pretty good, so I decide to treat myself to MickeyD's.

In the classroom, I've grabbed a seat in the middle of the room, and I'm finishing my orange juice when I notice Tanya's glances. I give her an easy grin and pat my pocket to tell her that I've got the replacement phone she's looking for. Apparently, she "borrowed" her mom's phone, but it got crushed at some crazy party. She's managed to salvage the SIM, but the phone itself was destroyed. Of course, she never said what she had to exchange, and I'm looking forward to negotiating with someone so desperate.

No rush for that though. We can take care of business at lunch or after school. Taking a look around, I spot Nyx (what kind of name is that, anyway?) and Jess sharing a desk and cuddling together. For crying out loud, they can't keep it in their pants in the middle of the classroom?

Groaning, I say loud enough for most people around the spectacle to hear, "Oh my God, just go to the bathroom and gently caress already." I have to suppress a grin at the small chorus of laughs and encouraging hoots.

Shut down Nyx: 2d6+1 10
Take a string and an XP

quote:

Alister, the Wyrm

Hot: -1
Cold: 1
Volatile: -1
Dark: 2

Look: Sharp, unblinking eyes
Origin: Enamored with Objects

Bargaining Ceremony
When negotiating a bargain during a ceremony, both of you can offer Strings as part of that bargain.
This can include Strings you have on others, or new Strings that you generate on yourselves.
When you're both satisfied, the exchange occurs.
Alister prefers to bargain by smoking with the person he's bargaining with.

The Bait
You have a collection of stolen wealth, such as jewelry and electronics.
When you show it to someone, they inevitably find something they fancy.
They will mark experience when it becomes theirs and is no longer yours.
Also, choose one:
--they see something someone else would like, and when you show that someone the something, carry one forward against them.
--the time has flown by and it's hours later than you thought.

Jealous Coils
When anyone gets close to someone you covet and you act territorial, roll with dark.
On a 10 up, they lose a String on your coveted, and you gain a String on your coveted.
On a 7-9, gain a String on your coveted, and your coveted chooses:
--they give you a Condition,
--you say something you'll regret.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, read them this: "Choose at least one thing from this list, and for each that you choose, describe something I learn about you from our intimacy:
--Give me a String on you, and take something from my collection.
--Give me a String on you, and take a String on me as well.
--Give me a String on you, and I'll promise you anything you'd like.
--Give me a String on you, and then give me a Condition."

Darkest Self
You've become too heady, too lax, too vague.
You need to dominate one of the people-things that you treasure, let it know that it's yours, that it doesn't get to choose who owns it – you do.
You escape your Darkest Self when your treasured thing proves that you don't own it entirely, or when you see the difference between objects and people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Harm 0/4 | Experience: 2/5 | Conditions:

For a brief moment, I actually think about it. Nyx is pretty easy on the eyes, after all. But, I end up just ignoring the offer. After all, she's surely joking.

The party, though...

I give her a smug grin back and say, "That so, huh? Yeah, I guess I could take a night off to relax. All work and no play, etcetra etcetra. When and where?"

Promising to go to the party tonight and try to have fun, taking an XP.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Harm 0/4 | Experience: 2/5 | Conditions:

After watching that shitshow go from start to finish, I stand up and walk over to help Alex up out of the tangle of bodies on the floor, throwing a nasty look Nyx and Sarah's way as I do. I spits out, "For gently caress sake, what is it with you? In the middle of goddamn class?" Then, I glance over at Alex and asks, "You ok?"

Coil Jealously around Alex: 2d6+2 8
Take a string on Alex and chooses: give you a Condition OR something you'll regret.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Harm 0/4 | Experience: 2/5 | Conditions: Gay

After Nyx leaves, the class calms down enough for Sarah to actually hear me. So, I sneer and say, "Nah, I'm not gay, but like I said before, some people here actually have a little class. But I get it. You just wanted to remind everyone here that you can't keep it in your pants. Next time, though, why don't you leave someone like Alex out of it? I mean, she's one of the only people around that doesn't belong here."

poo poo, that came out wrong.

Giving Desperate for attention back to Sarah.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I open my mouth to try and explain myself, but the blood catches me off guard. She's bleeding? When did that happen? She was fine when I helped her up. Before I can say anything, Alex bolts out of the room.

I... think I should chase after her. Probably. But... gently caress. That was really freaky. I need to think this over.

I glance over at Nathan for a second to make sure that he's not going to take on the whole gang by himself. Although, if anyone would win with those kind of odds, it WOULD be Nathan. But no, it looks like things are lightening up a bit. I catch Nathan's eye and give him a "Women! Am I right?" shrug before settling back into my desk to figure out what the hell just happened.

Gaze into the Abyss: 2d6+2 11
Clear visions that tell me what to do

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Combined with the image of blood on Alex's hand, the jumble of sounds and music is disturbing enough to make me go pale. Where the hell did that come from? And Janey... where'd he heard that name before? It was something that had happened a while ago, but..

I give him a tired half grin. It's way too early for this kinda bullshit, but what can I do? Just let my treasure slip away from me? Not likely.

quote:

Thanks for offering man, but I'm the one who put my foot in my mouth. I was just a little freaked out, and didn't wanna gently caress it up again.
Anyway, you look like you'll probably have your hands full playing bodyguard for a bit.

I pause for a moment before taking a shot in the dark. ...Yesh, I'm really having trouble with phrasing today.

quote:

So, out of curiosity, have you heard of some girl name Janey? I'm looking up something for a friend, and I know I saw something about her somewhere. I just can't remember it.

I flip my phone closed and give Nathan a nod for goodbye before ducking out of the room. I'm walking the halls for a bit before I realize I have no idea where Alex went. But, the Nurse's office is probably the best place to start.

Of course, Nyx is in there instead. Wonderful. She's zoned out, listening to music. Still pale from the scene before, a slight flush rises on my cheeks when I notice she isn't even wearing her jacket now. I lean against the wall and clear my throat to get her attention. She jerks in surprise and shifts to look at me.

A little embarrassed at walking in her like this, I turn my head to look at the wall instead and ask, "So, you doing ok? You and Alex took a nasty knock when you two fell." I look around, to make sure she's not here before adding, "Has she been by here? She stumbled outta class and seemed out of it." No need to tell her about the crazy murder thoughts, though.

Turn on nyx: 2d6-1 6
Spend a string for +1

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 11, 2015

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I decide to show a little concern, and that's what she gives me? Why do I even bother?

Then everyone else piles into the nurse's office. Alex lost her jacket and still looks out of it, but Sarah walks right past us and picks up where she left off.

I let out an irritated tch and say, "Well, Nyx, I guess you're feeling just fine now. You sure put on a good act back in class. Can't believe I was actually dumb enough to buy it."

I look over my shoulder to Alex as I'm walking out of the room and say, "Guess you can stay if you want. You're the only one here who actually got hurt, after all."

Shut down Nyx: 2d6+1 11
Give Nyx liar and she can have a string as well.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I'm kinda relieved when Alex speeds past me. I was starting to think she'd really joined in, but I see she's got some bandages. Yeah, that makes sense why she got held up. They probably weren't very accommodating. Selfish assholes.

Then she turns and starts apologizing to me. Which... is a bit confusing. Wasn't I supposed to be apologizing? And then she keeps talking and saying how it's ok if I'm gay.

I put my hands up to cut her off so I can get a word in edgewise. "Whoa, whoa. Hold up there. First off, you shouldn't be apologizing. I'm the one who stuck his foot in his mouth. So, sorry about that. What I meant earlier was that you seem like a pretty decent person, so you don't belong here, at a school like this. You know, a school for fuckups like the rest of us. Second, I like girls just fine. I just have some standards. So, yeah, I'm not gonna gawk at Nyx when she decides she needs her itch scratched in public."

That probably sounded a little too harsh, considering I was supposed to be apologizing here. I let out the breath I didn't know I was holding and change the subject, "So, you are ok, right? Your head still bleeding?" I give her a sympathetic smile and gesture to the bandages, indicating I'm willing to help her with it if she wants.

Turn On Alex: 2d6-1 6
Spend a string to boost it by one.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Harm 0/4 | Experience: 2/5 | Conditions: Gay, Friendly

I laugh. It's quiet, but sincere. I say, still chuckling, "Shhhh. Don't let anyone else hear that I'm just a big ol' softy. You'll ruin my carefully crafted rep."

After I pad the alcohol on the "wound", I see there isn't a wound at all. It's pretty weird all right, but this has been a pretty weird day.

Still, no need to freak her out any more. I say, "So, it must have been a really thin cut, because I can barely see it. You probably don't need a bandage. And anyway, walking around with something like that here? You might as well paint a target on your back for the assholes."

While we're walking back to class, I make the decision to show off a bit. Yeah, it's kinda dumb to show someone where I keep all my poo poo, but what can I say? I want to impress her. I ask, "Do you, uh, have plans after school? If not, maybe you'd like to hang out some?" I'm glad she's not looking as I bite my lip in anticipation.

Enjoy your now harm free self.
And take "Cared For" as your condition. No double meanings there. :v:

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Harm 0/4 | Experience: 2/5 | Conditions: Gay, Friendly

Once we found Alex's jacket from where she'd discarded it, my phone had already buzzed with the text instructing me to come in on the weekend. I grumbled in annoyance and started to mutter under my breath until I notice Alex looking at me. I shove my phone back into my pocket and say, "Well, since we're already in trouble for cutting class, why don't we go hang out now?"

I pull my phone back out and text Nathan, "Caught up Alex and talked it out, so we're cool now. Still, took long enough that we're already busted for cutting, so we're just going to ditch for the rest of the day. Not like they're going to punish us more, right?"

I slip the phone back into my pocket and jerk my head, saying, "So, you ready?"

----------

The rain is starting to come down pretty hard, but the shelter isn't too far away. poo poo. I didn't want her to know I lived here. Still... maybe she'd forget about it once I showed her what's down here. I do a quick scan to make sure no one else is watching before I pick the basement door's lock. It takes me a little longer than normal because my hands are shaking a little from the cold rain. Still, a few moments later, the lock pops open, and I duck inside to get out of the rain. I look back at her, and she's not shivering at all. Girl's pretty tough all right. Closing the door behind us, take a moment to shake off some of the rain. No dice. I'm probably going to have to go change.

When we get to the floor, I look back and say, "So, I haven't shown anyone else this, so don't go blabbing about it. It's all I really got that's mine." Then, I kneel down, pry up the board, and reveal my Horde. It's mostly divided into two piles underneath the building. I'd laid out some plastic so nothing would get dirty or wet, though. On the right is a pile of jewelry. Bracelets, earrings, necklaces. Even a ring or two. It's mostly gold and silver, with a few fancy copper pieces that I thought were pretty enough to sell well at some point. On the left is electronics I think I could pawn really quick if I thought I needed some cash out of nowhere. There's a lot of phones. People tended to leave those lying around, after all. But I've also got a good number of DVDs (not that I had anything to watch them on) and some iPods. Portable game systems and a small smattering of games made up the rest of the pile.

I try and avoid staring, but I can't help it. I look at her face, searching for her reaction.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 14, 2015

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Harm 0/4 | Experience: 2+1/5 | Conditions: Gay, Friendly

I can't help but grin as her eyes grow wide. Yeah, that's what I was hoping to see.

Oddly, she only makes a cursory glance through the jewelry, and starts poring through the electronics instead. I see that she really seems to like one of the phones. It's not the latest model, but it's in great shape. She tries to turn it on, but is disappointed as the screen remains dark. I start to say that I could go find a charger for it, but then looks at me and asks if I live here.

gently caress. Fuckidy gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress.

I try and keep cool and just brush it off, saying, "O-oh? No, no, I don't l-live here. I, uh, just keep this stuff here. Don't want hot stuff like this close to where I really live, you know?"

Yeah, real loving convincing.

Shut down Alex: 2d6+1 4
Welp :v:
Also, from my pick one, Alex sees something someone else would like, and when I show that someone the something, carry one forward against them.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Harm 0/4 | Experience: 3/5 | Conditions: Gay, Friendly

Yeah, that could have gone better. Now she's feeling bad for poor old Alister, the bad kid from a broken home. gently caress, I don't want her pity! I got enough of that from the people running this place. I just want her to be... mine? That's not quite right, but I can't phrase it any better. While I've been silently fuming, though, Alex has been staring at me, waiting for a response.

Well, gently caress. Again.

Cheeks flushing with embarrassment, I just mumble, "Only if you want to..."

drat, this was a bad idea. Don't know what I was thinking, bringing her here.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I start to nod. She wants to show that she understands. She's not pitying me. She ACTUALLY know's what it's like. So, it's not pity at all. It's understanding. That's... better, I guess. I still wish she didn't know, but I guess it's ok.

Calming down a bit, I say, "No, really. If you want to show me where you're staying, I get it. Thanks."

Then, she keeps talking. She wants the phone and wants a good deal. This is more like it. I can do deals. Deals make sense.

Honestly, I consider just giving it to her. It's an older model, so I'd be lucky to get 30 dollars if I pawn it. But, no. That'd be charity, and I just flipped out when I thought she was offering me some. I like her too much to do that to her. And she's saying she wants to make a fair trade.

So, I'm going to do this right. I look her in the eyes and say, "All right. Let me look it over for a second." A few moments later, and I confirm my initial guess. It's not super expensive, but it's worth enough that I wouldn't just give it to someone. I gesture for her to sit down next to the Horde, and I put the phone down right in front of me. I'm keeping it near me for now, but I'll push the phone across to her when we're done.

...Phone? Why did I have a sudden sense of deja vu?... poo poo, I need to swing back by school when it lets out so I can deliver the phone to Tanya. Still, that's hours away, and I've got nothing but time.

I shake it off and get back to business. Under the jewelry is a pack of cigarettes. I tap two out and offer her one, then light them both up with the lighter I keep with the pack. I look across to her and say, "Ok. You wanna work together some. I'd like that. But, before we do, how about you tell me a bit more about yourself. And..." I think for a second. I should ask about someone else, too. I learned enough about Nyx, Sarah, and Jess today, thank you very much. I want to talk more to Nathan myself, not be a creeper about it. ...Isn't she friendly with that Max guy? Yeah, that'd be good. "I also want to know why you hang out that Max guy. He's... kind of a creepy perv, to be honest. I've seen him lurking around the men's locker room and going through people's stuff.."

I want one string on you and one on Max, essentially.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I think. I could probably push for more, but if we're going to be working together, I should be a little generous. But she wants to know about Nyx? Ugh, there's no accounting for taste. Still, at least she recognizes that Nyx is bad news. That's something. I take her hand in a firm handshake and say, "Well, I'd like to think we were friend before. But we're partners now."

I pick up the phone and start working on it so she can use it. It's a lengthy process, but I've done it so often that it's second nature. While my hands disassembling the casing, I start telling her what I know (or what I have a pretty good guess) about Nyx.

"Well, it's not really too hard to just ignore her antics once you put together that she's just a rich girl starved for attention." When I get a blank look in response, I elaborate, "Well, for starters, Nyx's family has got to have some money. Seriously, you have to have noticed that she's always wearing some new, obnoxiously loud clothing. And, well, I don't really think I need to explain the starved for attention part, right? Honestly, she's probably acting out because Mommy and Daddy are just soooo smothering, and they sent her here to scare her straight."

When I'm done, I close it back up, power it on, and slide the phone to her as the screen glows to life. With my end of the deal done, I stamp the cigarette out. I don't really like smoking, to be honest, but it just feels right to do it when I'm making a deal. I then say, "So, just as a heads up, partner, I need to swing by school around 3. Got someone looking for another one of these to replace the one they broke. Still, that's not for hours, so where we headed?"

Alister's current status: :smaug:

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Once she's done explaining about Max, I don't really know what to say. ...Is Max a girl? If Alex thinks so, then probably. So, does that make him? her? MAX creeping around more or less weird? Probably less, but it's still kinda weird. And Alex thinks that Max is a pretty nice person, helping people with... things.

...I might have been wrong about Max. Maybe I should talk to him. Her. Man, this is gonna be hard.

Once she starts playing with her new phone, I can't help but grin. I punch my number into her phone when she offers it and call so I can get hers too. Then, I untangle one of the chargers and hand it to her. I say, "Welcome to the 21st century, partner." Then she suggests coffee. Yeah, that'd be nice. Something hot to get the chill out. I snag a Starbucks gift card out of the pile of things (Sometimes you gotta take what people have on them if you wanna get paid.), and I say, "Yeah, let's go. My treat. There's one close enough to school that I can swing by pretty quick. Then, you want to show me whatever it was you wanted to show me?"

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I shrug. "If you think she's cool, I guess I should at least give her a shot, right?" I make a short pitstop to grab a hoodie from the closet upstairs so I wouldn't get soaked to the bone. It's kinda big on me and pretty old, but it'll do the job.

------------------------------------------------

By the time we get to Starbucks, I'm smiling despite the rain. Today started kinda lovely, but it got back on track real fast. I turn around after I order my coffee, and my eye twitches when I see Nyx on the couch. Really? loving REALLY?! Jess is there, too. She's kinda whiny, but I don't really mind her, to be honest.

Hold Steady: 2d6+1 8

Calm down. You're meeting Max, and you don't need to get into another snark off with Nyx. Just sit facing away from them and let them have their stupid fun.

At least they're only cuddling this time.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I look between the two of them. The two of us... and Alister. Yeah... really starting to feel like a third wheel here. Still, Alex thinks she's cool, so I should at least try, right?

I say, keeping it a bit vague, "Oh, well, Alex and I just hung out for a while. She mentioned she didn't have a phone, so I hooked her up. Know a guy who knows a guy, you know. After that, we got to talking, actually, and she said she thought you were pretty cool." I glance at Alex for a moment before continuing. "You know, kind, helpful, just a generally good person. So, if Alex is willing to vouch for you, I'm... willing to admit I may have jumped the gun with what I said earlier. So, sorry for that." I really wants to ask just what Max was doing there if she wasn't perving, but she(?) looks like she's had a rough day. Probably a good idea to ask about that another time. Instead, I offer her my hand and give her an apologetic smile, hoping that we can put that misunderstanding behind us.

Giving her what she wants, telling her what's been going on AND offering to mend bridges. Alister's so generous.
Also: Turn on Max: 2d6-1 3
bwam bwam bwaaaa.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 18, 2015

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Harm 0/4 | Experience: 3/5 | Conditions: Gay, Friendly, Drained

Ok, this is getting ridiculous. Something is really bothering Max, and he obviously doesn't want to talk while I'm around. I glance around and then pat down my pocket in sudden 'realization.' Then, I say, "Oh, my phone's going off. This is probably important, so I may be a little. Feel free to keep telling Alex what's bothering you though." I give her a knowing look and then cut my eyes to Alex for a second, one that says, Just tell her what actually happened already. She's really worried.

Offer Max an XP to open up about what really happened today. To Alex, at least.

I leave the two of them alone and head to the other side of the coffee shop, which, unfortunately has me sitting in a chair close to Jess and Nyx. I pretend to be intently texting while I'm actually just goofing around on my browser. While I'm doing that, I let my mind wander, and start thinking of all the terrible secrets that Max could be sharing with Alex while I'm gone.

Gaze about Max: 2d6+2 8
Take Drained for clear visions

I shudder a little while I'm in the chair. Walking around in the rain so much has started to give me a chill. I really need to take a hot shower soon.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I start to text Alex to see what's going on. I'm... not thrilled with leaving Alex behind, but she can handle herself, I think. Of course, that's when they start with their stupid giggling. I glance up from my phone when they start talking for my benefit, though. I'm really getting sick of them. I look up to say something cutting when I catch sight of the Jess' face. I'm... Wait, what was I going to say?

I look away to clear my head and that's when I see them. Holy poo poo, Nyx wasn't joking. They're really going to... And just ditch... WHAT IS EVERYONE'S PROBLEM TODAY?! IS THERE SOMETHING IN THE WATER?

I stand up and shove my phone in my pocket. Storming across the small Starbucks only takes what feels like a few strides. I cut between the two of them, and I hiss at Alex, "I thought we were partners. I didn't mind letting you two talk out whatever was bothering him, but with the excited way you're dragging Max here, I guess things weren't that bad. Partners don't ditch each other to go gently caress in the bathroom."

Jealous coils around Alex: 2d6+2 10
Get a string on Alex and Max loses one on Alex MINE!

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Yikes... Ok. I might have misread a little. Still, I'm not going to just back down. I say, "Well, it wasn't just me thinking it. Nyx and Jess said as much, and they seem to-." I stop short as I groan and slap my forehead. "They were just screwing with me. Those fuckers. I swear why do I even lis... wait, why are we in a bathroom?"

I mentally rewind some the chewing out I just got. Max wants to do... something. And he needs Alex's clothes? This is either the most extended practical joke around, or Max is just crazy. Max puts the jacket on and nothing happens. I mean, I don't really know what to expect, to be honest. She then says, "I need the shirt too.

Oh. Um. As Alex starts pulling it over her head, I flush and suddenly get very interested in the wall to my left. I mean, it's only polite to not stare, right?

Turn on Alex: 2d6-1 2

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

As I watch the transformation, I hear Nyx yell something through the door. I can't be bothered to respond though. It's like I'm watching some horror movie, but it's real!

My mouth is hanging open, shocked, as I stare at Alex's new twin. I manage to get it working long enough to let some incomplete thoughts look out, like: "Holy poo poo. That's... You're..."

A few more seconds pass and I manage to put enough thoughts together to get a full sentence. "Holy poo poo, this is literal goddamn magic! That's amazing! You're amazing! Who else knows?!" My eyes widen even more in realization, and I grin in excitement at it as I say, "That's why you were in the locker room, right? To try out being other people! That's..." I trail off, leaving the thought unfinished. It's still creepy, to be honest, but I don't care right now.

I can't tear my eyes away from her as I ask, "So, what's like? Being someone else?"

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I'm still grinning like a doofus when Alex gets serious. I try and calm down, but I'm really having trouble dealing with Max's amazing trick. Still, Alex's got something important to say, so I make the effort.

After a few moments, I compose myself and say with a gentle smile, "Yeah, of course, Alex. I mean, I showed you my biggest secret already, so you know I trust you. I'd have to be a giant rear end in a top hat to not keep your secret."

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Harm 0/4 | Experience: 4/5 | Conditions: Gay, Friendly, Drained

Unlike with Max's trick, I don't have any questions. At least, I don't ask any. I just stare in shock. She's... a ghost? Those are real?

I flash back to what I saw-remembered early today. The records, the mumbling sing along, "Janey? Why...?". Without thinking, I start humming "Heart Shaped Box" tunelessly, trying to remember more.

That's when the rear end in a top hat outside starts pounding on the door. Without thinking, I yell, "Occupied!" That's when I hear him fiddling for his keys to unlock the door. poo poo, there's no time. I go with the first plan that jumps into my head. I say, "Ok, I'm going to bowl him over and try and get him to chase me, and you two go out the back. Text each other when we're clear, ok?"

Maybe I'll have thought of what to say when we meet up again.

I unlock the door and slam it into whoever is on the other side, sending the barista sprawling on the ground. I duck behind the counter and pretend to grab some stuff before I run out the front and down the street.

Super Run Away!: 2d6-1 8
Run into something worse! What could go wrong?

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Harm 0/4 | Experience: 4/5 | Conditions: Gay, Friendly, Drained

Well, poo poo. I want to meet back up with Alex and Max, but everyone knows better to cross Langdon. Especially when there's no one around to see what happens. Last kid who did spent a week in the hospital. I think the poor girl still walks with a limp.

Anyway, Langdon's already got a good, firm grip on my arm, so I know I don't have a chance of wiggling out. So, I just nod and don't put up a fight.

At least I feel my phone buzz to let me know that Alex and Max got away. It's cold comfort, though, especially since I won't be able to message back for a while.

Hold steady: 2d6+1 5

• Locked thread