Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Bip Roberts posted:

List of stable left wing governments in history :

the USSR was pretty stable :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Everything is ending all the time OP.

CowOnCrack
Sep 26, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I think the world is on its last leg and the last great cycle of history is coming to its conclusion. We can't handle another 20th century. The next confrontation between Good and Evil will be final.

And the reason for the end of the world will be: the birth control pill.

Satan's greatest weapon! So subtle, so effective. Now no one can even remember that there are children and a future generation that we are (were, too late oops) beholden to and life isn't about their awesomeness and happiness and passion and blibbidy blah blah. Bye bye Earth. God himself will now have to invade because the sins of the world are boiling over.

Hope to see you all repent by then you morbidly content internet dwellers.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I disagree. It's ending because of lawn jockeys.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

nopantsjack posted:

Anglo-European dominance and civlisation will likely collapse at some point just cause that seems to be what civlilisations do and we aren't doing much to stop it. Probably won't happen for a century or two yet though.

Humanity isn't going anywhere barring some kind of total nuclear exchange or if Climate Change ends up worse than the fevered dreams of the craziest ecowarrior.

We are entering an interesting little endgame between "money power" and democracy but even that is just the financial elite trying to turn back the clock rather than anything new and apocalyptic.

Money power will die in the next century,. To be replaced by power of Force. A commander will lead the west and secure it in its stagnation.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The world will be continue on, much more boring than the dystopia you are masturbating over.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

PerpetualSelf posted:

Is the world coming to an end?

Nope.

hth

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Will Russia fire nuclear weapons at the United States of America?

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

As a serious answer, I do think a civilisation-ending war is likely to occur this century, and the sort of bemused ridicule this idea tends to meet is the result of a society whose members haven't really internalised that civilisation-ending weapons really do exist and really can be used. Perhaps there will be a way to avoid this century being more blood-soaked than the last, but I certainly wouldn't have that as my default assumption. I expect to die through vaporisation or burns or radiation poisoning, and think the fact most people don't agree with this makes it more likely all of us will.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
If civilization ends it will be because of a collective decison to stop breeding. It`s not hard to imagine a future were we are all otkau`s. Deadly scared of human contact, constantly hooked up to entertaiment machines but having no need to work because all work has been automized. At this point there will be little left to live for. No one will have a economic function to perform, no families t, nature will have been lagrely destroyed by industrial civlization and most species extinguished, no faith in god because everyone will receive a decent education. What will be left to live for; movies, music, drugs, video games and "sex" with masturbatory aids aka sexbots. Gradually people will die off and leave no replacements, many more may kill themselves out of sheer boredom. Sometime after last of us has drawn his or hers terminal breath the machines that kept us alive will start to break down. Rusting cities and lifeless silent wastelands will be our only legacy. Basically you should read "the machine stops" if you want to picture the end of humanity.

Thats the most realistic end of the world that i can come up with. Time may prove me wrong, at least i hope so.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

vegetables posted:

I expect to die through vaporisation or burns or radiation poisoning, and think the fact most people don't agree with this makes it more likely all of us will.

Cold War is over, man. It's unlikely anyone is going to sling around enough nukes to end human civilization (maybe a few though). Biological weapons, on the other hand, are self-perpetuating. You will die through boils and oozing. :colbert:

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Seriously excited for this to turn into a CowOnCrack thread. :allears:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

icantfindaname posted:

the USSR was pretty stable :smug:

Everything is stable when you LITERALLY ignore any economical downturns and whitewash whatever your economists are telling you.

CowOnCrack posted:

I think the world is on its last leg and the last great cycle of history is coming to its conclusion. We can't handle another 20th century. The next confrontation between Good and Evil will be final.

And the reason for the end of the world will be: the birth control pill.

Satan's greatest weapon! So subtle, so effective. Now no one can even remember that there are children and a future generation that we are (were, too late oops) beholden to and life isn't about their awesomeness and happiness and passion and blibbidy blah blah. Bye bye Earth. God himself will now have to invade because the sins of the world are boiling over.

Hope to see you all repent by then you morbidly content internet dwellers.

Ooooo! Ooooo! Tell me more about how Obama is ushering in the Second Coming. You should really be thanking him for that, not chastising him. Its not like you've guys have been waiting 2000 years or anything.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

ITT we learn about why giving women control over their reproduction has literally destroyed the earth.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Asimov was right. We are all going to become hermaphroditic otaku living alone in our virtual reality until we become too bored to even have sex with ourselves. The omega man is a nice guy who is so nice that he friendzoned himself.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Helsing posted:

ITT we learn about why giving women control over their reproduction has literally destroyed the earth.

It`s mostly the atomization of society and the extreme alienation ( like i said otaku`s are the men of the future) that will lead to this result. Into itself women having reproductive control would have been fine.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
What we need is to legalize prostitution because the libertarian free market excludes people. Right johnpop?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Shbobdb posted:

Asimov was right. We are all going to become hermaphroditic otaku living alone in our virtual reality until we become too bored to even have sex with ourselves. The omega man is a nice guy who is so nice that he friendzoned himself.

Its okay, test tube reproduction will keep us going until the machines create the Matrix.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

StabbinHobo posted:

there is only one way to be prepared

I've already hired Cheech Marin, Whoopi Goldberg and Frank Welker to assassinate James Earl Jones using wildebeest.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Baudolino posted:

It`s mostly the atomization of society and the extreme alienation ( like i said otaku`s are the men of the future) that will lead to this result. Into itself women having reproductive control would have been fine.

I'm sorry but the fact you feel social anxiety around girls does not mean that in the future everyone will be an Otaku.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
It will once I finish this Cobalt Bomb.

CowOnCrack
Sep 26, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Helsing posted:

I am happy to be baited by you and answer your question, because I honestly think you have something to learn from it.

It's been said before by those who opposed it and is still being opposed, but it's too late. Without children and a mentality that looks to caring for children, our society is not beholden to the future and all manner of horrific moral outrages result. The last generation has committed massive sins against the future one, such as destroying the environment, taking out loans against the future generation in the form of debt on the scale of trillions of dollars through entitlements, and even putting their work and marriage life ahead of simple basics like disciplining their children and resorting instead to things like literal forced drug addiction (psychiatry) for a boy that's just hyperactive and needs exercise. Even education was a massive money-grabbing bubble and our four-year college degrees are worth nothing.

The next generation is, of course, on the whole, woefully unable to make up for sins that massive and shouldn't even worry about it. I believe this psychological disregard for children is clearly the result of the liberalization of sex, divorcing it from its reproductive reality. My parents lived for themselves, their work life, their passion, their retirement. I was an afterthought, and now I'm little more than a hallowed out feeble shell capable of little but giving my life to Jesus and praying for the day he takes me away. I've struggled to explain that all of my life until I realized the all-pervasiveness of not wanting children in our own generation. It comes from our parents, who didn't want us.

Helsing posted:

I'm sorry but the fact you feel social anxiety around girls does not mean that in the future everyone will be an Otaku.

Why do you think men have social anxiety? I'll give a hint. Some men are sensitive and loving, and are really love / marriage / family guys. There is no place for them in our culture of romance where such a thing is a dead idea. You either have to lower yourself to something less, or struggle on in alienation. Bonus alternative - be a celibate Apostle for Jesus (yours truly) and live for the Lord. Don't look down on people who do the second because they are actually better than you are for not succumbing to the wisdom of the ages.

I look forward to continuing to be mocked all my life for having never been on a date, and then at 27 years old falling in love and wanting marriage and family with some girl who had a boyfriend (aka 'gently caress buddy'). It's just too fantastic and brutally honest of a story not to be proud of experiencing, and it was a blessing from God to go through all of that pain and agony. It is an experience that has the power to be a weapon in changing people's point of view, and one that shows the reality of the massive dysfunction in our society. Humiliation is the greatest antidote one could ever ask for in life. You sound like you could use some Helsing, with the way you look down on others.

CommieGIR posted:

Ooooo! Ooooo! Tell me more about how Obama is ushering in the Second Coming. You should really be thanking him for that, not chastising him. Its not like you've guys have been waiting 2000 years or anything.

Obama has been a fantastic president. I bet he can't wait to retire with his family in Hawaii and play golf all day. A true public servant to the end. Being a Christian by choice as an adult, he's quite ready for the end. It was his faith that held him through his days of office being hated and feared as a minority race president.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

CowOnCrack posted:

such as destroying the environment

Debatable.

quote:

taking out loans against the future generation in the form of debt on the scale of trillions of dollars through entitlements,

The current US national debt is not particularly extraordinary, nor caused by "entitlements."

quote:

and even putting their work and marriage life ahead of simple basics like disciplining their children and resorting instead to things like literal forced drug addiction (psychiatry) for a boy that's just hyperactive and needs exercise.

lol

quote:

our four-year college degrees are worth nothing.

[citation needed]

quote:

The next generation is, of course, on the whole, woefully unable to make up for sins that massive and shouldn't even worry about it. I believe this psychological disregard for children is clearly the result of the liberalization of sex, divorcing it from its reproductive reality. My parents lived for themselves, their work life, their passion, their retirement. I was an afterthought, and now I'm little more than a hallowed out feeble shell capable of little but giving my life to Jesus and praying for the day he takes me away. I've struggled to explain that all of my life until I realized the all-pervasiveness of not wanting children in our own generation. It comes from our parents, who didn't want us.

How old is "your generation"? More specifically, how old are your peers, because this is where you're getting your anecdote from.

quote:

Why do you think men have social anxiety? I'll give a hint. Some men are sensitive and loving, and are really love / marriage / family guys. There is no place for them in our culture of romance where such a thing is a dead idea. You either have to lower yourself to something less, or struggle on in alienation.

Would you say there's been an increase in... vapidity?

quote:

I look forward to continuing to be mocked all my life for having never been on a date, and then at 27 years old falling in love and wanting marriage and family with some girl who had a boyfriend (aka 'gently caress buddy').

?????

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3690075

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
"I'm crazy, everybody else must be too."

:yikes:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

CowOnCrack posted:

Women are property and I'm angry I don't own one yet

Hello friend, I thought I'd look at some of your non-verbal communications to help the thread get a better idea of what it is you want to tell us :).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Yeah, right :commissar:

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

we got like another 150 years left bro

human civilization is doomed tho

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Choadmaster posted:

As biotech gets more advanced and engineering destructive bugs gets easier, someone will (intentionally or not) wipe out most of the human race along with civilization as we know it.

Ha, good luck; I'm like 50% colloidal silver by weight

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Shbobdb posted:

Speak for yourself, I'm going to start reproducing by budding. Need more humans? Yeah just let me chunk off a few, give me like a week or something. Finally, an excuse to become grotesquely obese!

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

3 minutes to me flipping my poo poo from jpeg artifacts.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

CowOnCrack posted:

Without children and a mentality that looks to caring for children, our society is not beholden to the future and all manner of horrific moral outrages result. The last generation has committed massive sins against the future one, such as destroying the environment, taking out loans against the future generation in the form of debt on the scale of trillions of dollars through entitlements, and even putting their work and marriage life ahead of simple basics like disciplining their children and resorting instead to things like literal forced drug addiction (psychiatry) for a boy that's just hyperactive and needs exercise. Even education was a massive money-grabbing bubble and our four-year college degrees are worth nothing.

Yikes, not having children is the root of all evil!

CowOnCrack posted:

Bonus alternative - be a celibate Apostle for Jesus (yours truly) and live for the Lord.

Thanks for destroying the world, you childless jerk!

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Not ending, OP. We're just entering that drug-fuelled fascist period of human history that TNG warned us about. Full communism comes after.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Helsing posted:

You`ll be sorry that you did`nt invest in a waifu-pillow making company in 2044 i tells ya.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'm ready for the next episode because I smoke weed everyday.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

CowOnCrack posted:

I am happy to be baited by you and answer your question, because I honestly think you have something to learn from it.

It's been said before by those who opposed it and is still being opposed, but it's too late. Without children and a mentality that looks to caring for children, our society is not beholden to the future and all manner of horrific moral outrages result. The last generation has committed massive sins against the future one, such as destroying the environment, taking out loans against the future generation in the form of debt on the scale of trillions of dollars through entitlements, and even putting their work and marriage life ahead of simple basics like disciplining their children and resorting instead to things like literal forced drug addiction (psychiatry) for a boy that's just hyperactive and needs exercise. Even education was a massive money-grabbing bubble and our four-year college degrees are worth nothing.

I know many people who decided to have children or who plan to have them. And past generations that had very high rates of marriage and child birth made catastrophically short sighted or cruel decisions. You're just taking mistaking your personal trauma for a universal experience.

quote:

Why do you think men have social anxiety? I'll give a hint. Some men are sensitive and loving, and are really love / marriage / family guys. There is no place for them in our culture of romance where such a thing is a dead idea. You either have to lower yourself to something less, or struggle on in alienation. Bonus alternative - be a celibate Apostle for Jesus (yours truly) and live for the Lord. Don't look down on people who do the second because they are actually better than you are for not succumbing to the wisdom of the ages.

There are many reasons people become anxious and it's foolish to try and take your particular experiences and use treat them as universally applicable. I also know plenty of happy monogamous couples. Given the lovely economy I think family planning has been extremely important for making these relationships stronger.

Thanks to family planning we have fewer unwanted children, not more. That's a good thing.

quote:

I look forward to continuing to be mocked all my life for having never been on a date, and then at 27 years old falling in love and wanting marriage and family with some girl who had a boyfriend (aka 'gently caress buddy'). It's just too fantastic and brutally honest of a story not to be proud of experiencing, and it was a blessing from God to go through all of that pain and agony. It is an experience that has the power to be a weapon in changing people's point of view, and one that shows the reality of the massive dysfunction in our society. Humiliation is the greatest antidote one could ever ask for in life. You sound like you could use some Helsing, with the way you look down on others.

I think that human beings can endure immense suffering as long as they are able to find a reason for that suffering. You've obviously found yours and I'm not interested in trying to take it away from you. I won't mince words though: the elaborate rationalizations you've employed to preserve your ego have distorted your view of society and seem to have ruined at least one important relationship in your life. In particular, the way your psychological distress manifests itself seems to make it very hard for you to relate to women without becoming either obsessed with or resentful toward them.

Baudolino posted:

You`ll be sorry that you did`nt invest in a waifu-pillow making company in 2044 i tells ya.

I'm saving up to invest in whatever company figures out how to combine VR gloves, a fleshlight and the Oculus Rift.

CowOnCrack
Sep 26, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Helsing posted:

I know many people who decided to have children or who plan to have them. And past generations that had very high rates of marriage and child birth made catastrophically short sighted or cruel decisions. You're just taking mistaking your personal trauma for a universal experience.

This is what the critic does and always has done. The extreme has the power to illuminate the general.

quote:

There are many reasons people become anxious and it's foolish to try and take your particular experiences and use treat them as universally applicable. I also know plenty of happy monogamous couples. Given the lovely economy I think family planning has been extremely important for making these relationships stronger.

Thanks to family planning we have fewer unwanted children, not more. That's a good thing.

All tools, no matter how powerful, are just tools. It was never the tool that was evil. If used wisely such a tool could be of great benefit. The trouble is the area of life the tool operates in. I have to believe it is impossible for such a tool to not change how we think profoundly, for Good or Evil. That means we MUST think about what it is doing.

quote:

I think that human beings can endure immense suffering as long as they are able to find a reason for that suffering. You've obviously found yours and I'm not interested in trying to take it away from you. I won't mince words though: the elaborate rationalizations you've employed to preserve your ego have distorted your view of society and seem to have ruined at least one important relationship in your life. In particular, the way your psychological distress manifests itself seems to make it very hard for you to relate to women without becoming either obsessed with or resentful toward them.

I relate to women just fine. I've grown up with and have been mentored by some wonderful role models that are women. I can tell in my life that women in general look up to me and see me as an example, not to mention attractive. In terms of being obsessed or resentful, that's just the experience of romantic love. I have had it two times in my life and both times with excessive respect for the other person, and have negotiated total rejection in the face of impossibly frustrating emotional dishonesty and immaturity. It's how women relate to me and men like me that is the issue. This person was struggling to maintain some delusion of a friendship after I had been very clear about my feelings and she was already in a relationship. She was completely unable to set an emotional boundary because she was ultimately fighting with basic biological reality. She wants me around and my support and yadda yadda yadda, but never 'that way, that way, that way'. She has no proper conception of her relationship to the opposite sex, and literally invents the delusion that I'm being disrespectful or harassing her. No wonder the suffering was so incredibly bad for both people and she finally imploded, resulting in my respectful self-exile. Massive walls of societally-conditioned delusions can be the only culprit in such silliness and self-denial.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CowOnCrack posted:

I relate to women just fine. I've grown up with and have been mentored by some wonderful role models that are women. I can tell in my life that women in general look up to me and see me as an example, not to mention attractive. In terms of being obsessed or resentful, that's just the experience of romantic love. I have had it two times in my life and both times with excessive respect for the other person, and have negotiated total rejection in the face of impossibly frustrating emotional dishonesty and immaturity. It's how women relate to me and men like me that is the issue. This person was struggling to maintain some delusion of a friendship after I had been very clear about my feelings and she was already in a relationship. She was completely unable to set an emotional boundary because she was ultimately fighting with basic biological reality. She wants me around and my support and yadda yadda yadda, but never 'that way, that way, that way'. She has no proper conception of her relationship to the opposite sex, and literally invents the delusion that I'm being disrespectful or harassing her. No wonder the suffering was so incredibly bad for both people and she finally imploded, resulting in my respectful self-exile. Massive walls of societally-conditioned delusions can be the only culprit in such silliness and self-denial.

No no no, tell us more about how you didn't harass her by harassing her with passive aggressive emails :allears:

We've been waiting for the return of this. Seriously, tell us more about hos emotionally she just couldn't resist your magnetic charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Helsing posted:

The otaku thing is an actual problem in Japan that's going to take out the rest of its population within a few generations.

• Locked thread