Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
The world actually came to an end years ago but almost nobody noticed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Seriously excited for this to turn into a CowOnCrack thread. :allears:

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

ITT we learn about why giving women control over their reproduction has literally destroyed the earth.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Baudolino posted:

It`s mostly the atomization of society and the extreme alienation ( like i said otaku`s are the men of the future) that will lead to this result. Into itself women having reproductive control would have been fine.

I'm sorry but the fact you feel social anxiety around girls does not mean that in the future everyone will be an Otaku.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

CowOnCrack posted:

I am happy to be baited by you and answer your question, because I honestly think you have something to learn from it.

It's been said before by those who opposed it and is still being opposed, but it's too late. Without children and a mentality that looks to caring for children, our society is not beholden to the future and all manner of horrific moral outrages result. The last generation has committed massive sins against the future one, such as destroying the environment, taking out loans against the future generation in the form of debt on the scale of trillions of dollars through entitlements, and even putting their work and marriage life ahead of simple basics like disciplining their children and resorting instead to things like literal forced drug addiction (psychiatry) for a boy that's just hyperactive and needs exercise. Even education was a massive money-grabbing bubble and our four-year college degrees are worth nothing.

The next generation is, of course, on the whole, woefully unable to make up for sins that massive and shouldn't even worry about it. I believe this psychological disregard for children is clearly the result of the liberalization of sex, divorcing it from its reproductive reality. My parents lived for themselves, their work life, their passion, their retirement. I was an afterthought, and now I'm little more than a hallowed out feeble shell capable of little but giving my life to Jesus and praying for the day he takes me away. I've struggled to explain that all of my life until I realized the all-pervasiveness of not wanting children in our own generation. It comes from our parents, who didn't want us.

I know many people who decided to have children or who plan to have them. And past generations that had very high rates of marriage and child birth made catastrophically short sighted or cruel decisions. You're just taking mistaking your personal trauma for a universal experience.

quote:

Why do you think men have social anxiety? I'll give a hint. Some men are sensitive and loving, and are really love / marriage / family guys. There is no place for them in our culture of romance where such a thing is a dead idea. You either have to lower yourself to something less, or struggle on in alienation. Bonus alternative - be a celibate Apostle for Jesus (yours truly) and live for the Lord. Don't look down on people who do the second because they are actually better than you are for not succumbing to the wisdom of the ages.

There are many reasons people become anxious and it's foolish to try and take your particular experiences and use treat them as universally applicable. I also know plenty of happy monogamous couples. Given the lovely economy I think family planning has been extremely important for making these relationships stronger.

Thanks to family planning we have fewer unwanted children, not more. That's a good thing.

quote:

I look forward to continuing to be mocked all my life for having never been on a date, and then at 27 years old falling in love and wanting marriage and family with some girl who had a boyfriend (aka 'gently caress buddy'). It's just too fantastic and brutally honest of a story not to be proud of experiencing, and it was a blessing from God to go through all of that pain and agony. It is an experience that has the power to be a weapon in changing people's point of view, and one that shows the reality of the massive dysfunction in our society. Humiliation is the greatest antidote one could ever ask for in life. You sound like you could use some Helsing, with the way you look down on others.

I think that human beings can endure immense suffering as long as they are able to find a reason for that suffering. You've obviously found yours and I'm not interested in trying to take it away from you. I won't mince words though: the elaborate rationalizations you've employed to preserve your ego have distorted your view of society and seem to have ruined at least one important relationship in your life. In particular, the way your psychological distress manifests itself seems to make it very hard for you to relate to women without becoming either obsessed with or resentful toward them.

Baudolino posted:

You`ll be sorry that you did`nt invest in a waifu-pillow making company in 2044 i tells ya.

I'm saving up to invest in whatever company figures out how to combine VR gloves, a fleshlight and the Oculus Rift.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

CowOnCrack posted:

This is what the critic does and always has done. The extreme has the power to illuminate the general.

No it doesn't. You're just trying to avoid responding to the fact that societies with high rates of marriage have suffered from worse economic conditions and worse political leadership than our society does.

Your personal anecdotes are not a substitute for having some actual evidence to support the sweeping claims you're making about society.

quote:

All tools, no matter how powerful, are just tools. It was never the tool that was evil. If used wisely such a tool could be of great benefit. The trouble is the area of life the tool operates in. I have to believe it is impossible for such a tool to not change how we think profoundly, for Good or Evil. That means we MUST think about what it is doing.

We have thought about it. We're giving couples, and in particular women, the ability to choose the conditions under which they reproduce, resulting in fewer unwanted children.

Stop smelling your own farts for a second and actually provide some reasons that anyone should take your warnings seriously. I dare you to come up with an argument that isn't entirely founded on very untrustworthy sounding personal anecdotes.

quote:

I relate to women just fine. I've grown up with and have been mentored by some wonderful role models that are women. I can tell in my life that women in general look up to me and see me as an example, not to mention attractive. In terms of being obsessed or resentful, that's just the experience of romantic love. I have had it two times in my life and both times with excessive respect for the other person, and have negotiated total rejection in the face of impossibly frustrating emotional dishonesty and immaturity. It's how women relate to me and men like me that is the issue. This person was struggling to maintain some delusion of a friendship after I had been very clear about my feelings and she was already in a relationship. She was completely unable to set an emotional boundary because she was ultimately fighting with basic biological reality. She wants me around and my support and yadda yadda yadda, but never 'that way, that way, that way'. She has no proper conception of her relationship to the opposite sex, and literally invents the delusion that I'm being disrespectful or harassing her. No wonder the suffering was so incredibly bad for both people and she finally imploded, resulting in my respectful self-exile. Massive walls of societally-conditioned delusions can be the only culprit in such silliness and self-denial.

You clearly do not relate to women just fine.

Job Truniht posted:

The otaku thing is an actual problem in Japan that's going to take out the rest of its population within a few generations.

Japan isn't a model for the rest of the world and even within Japan it's very dangerous to take a contemporary trend and assume it will continue indefinitely. Societies move in strange ways and trends often reverse themselves or move in sharply new directions.

Having a none-trivial part of the population feeling profoundly alienated from society at large is a problem in many societies but there's no indication that otaku's or their equivalents are going to crowd out the rest of us. Plenty of people continue to enjoy vibrant and active social lives.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

CowOnCrack posted:

I am not talking about economic or political considerations in my assessments. They don't concern me in the least. Pay attention.

So when you claimed that the current generation is "taking out loans against the future generation in the form of debt on the scale of trillions of dollars through entitlements, " we aren't supposed to interpret this as an economic problem?

quote:

I'm sorry you so devalue the personal experience of someone wiser than you. I admit that if you are looking for empirical evidence you can turn to someone better than me. In any case, empirical evidence forever lags behind reality and is not an absolute source of knowledge. The only absolute source of knowledge is divine revelation from God.

As the Proverb says: "Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser."

My first instruction to you, o wise man, would be to reread Philippians 2:3-11 or Ephesians 4:2 and pray upon whether your comportment here is consistent with those passages.

quote:

Who the gently caress is we? You and the brainwashed collective of automata? If a woman has sex with a man she is consenting to wanting children by biological (and moral) necessity. If there are men or women who have been brainwashed to do this without wanting children, here comes the end. I'm ready.

A woman who intentionally takes a pill containing estrogen and progesterone so that she can prevent ovulation is clearly not consenting to children when she has sex. Ditto for condoms.

quote:

The fact that children could ever be 'unwanted' is horrifying. If you don't want children yet, do not have sex. We are all under a terrific delusion. Please take a poo poo all over me because I'm a man who wants a family and children and has abstained his whole life until that happens. A guy who NEEDS a family and children to be happy. But who the gently caress cares about me anymore? Obviously not horny brainwashed idiots like you. The Lord is my shepherd and he will prepare a table against those who trouble me.

"Horny idiots"? I think you had better also read Ephesians 4:31-32 before God preps a table for you. And since you can't stop grumbling about all the wrongs done to you, perhaps also read Philippians 2:14.

quote:

You clearly do not know me or my relationships. My mother is a triple-board certified ER doctor (with a masters in public health, and a degree in tropical medicine, she always makes sure to add) with a ferocious temperament who raised me in the ways of female power. My greatest spiritual mentor in life is a female conductor from the middle east. I have seen things come too far in one direction and seek to argue them back into balance for the well being of all of us. Either you take my word about my life and my experiences or you prioritize your own biases against me. I don't care.

This is the same mother who you feel did not want you or care for you adequately?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

CowOnCrack posted:

Moral problem. Paying for luxuries now with money from your children's pockets is a massive moral catastrophe.

Debt and spending are economic questions with a moral dimension. But either way the problem with your argument is that the economic / moral arrangements of contemporary society are better than they were in the past. Not that long ago it was common to let children starve to death or to send them to work for extremely long days instead of putting them through school.

The moral crisis you keep referring to is just your lack of historical perspective. We treat children and people in general much better now than we did in even the recent past.

quote:

Thank you for referring to the Word of God in rebuking me. I should deal with you in a more humble manner, but I'm constantly assaulted for sharing my personal experiences. I come to view this entire internet board as threatening and that risks treating everyone in a similar manner - as they've treated me.

If someone threatens you then turn the other cheek.

quote:

My argument is that this habit of children avoidance is incredibly harmful from a moral point of view. I am arguing that what I said before is a moral necessity. I don't disagree with this argument, I disagree with the woman's choice. She should not have sex at all. All sex outside of marriage is an abomination.

"Marriage is to be held in honor among all, and the marriage bed is to be undefiled, for fornicators and adulterers God will judge."
-Hebrews 14:4

God will judge. God. Not you. It's up to the government to decide questions of marriage and reproduction, and in the society you live in the government delegates much of this decision to elections and other forms of social pressure from below. It's not your place to judge these arrangements for yourself, you should focus on living your own life and stop feeling so angry about things you cannot change.

quote:

Such tools have created an attitude of fornication. The reason why fornication is a sin is because it is sex without the context of marriage and children. Such a thing debases us because this is the entire purpose of sex. It risks changing our attitudes about everything in ways that I don't think I could fully comprehend even if I devoted a lifetime to study. However, I wouldn't need to do this to know it is wrong. That is because the Word of God is authoritative.

People have always been having sex outside of marriage. Even though in the past you could tarred and feathered or executed for it, people still did it. In fact the age at which people start having sex is higher now than it was in the recent past.

quote:

Let me attempt to construct an argument. Why do we do what we do in life? Is it for ourselves? For the entirety of humanity until the 20th century, the answer was our families as children and our own families as adults. That is now changing. We have had now one full generation in the developed world that has lived for themselves and the results have practically doomed us. I see this as the result of succumbing to lust and abandoning our reproductive duties. Without our own family to love us and keep us grounded and accountable, we can so easily become monsters (both men and women.) Without our own family, we are working towards ends that are like to be foolish and unwise because we are accountable only to ourselves (or to God). This is the only fair alternative - to be celibate and live for God. That way one can devote your life to providing wisdom for God's people.

The selfish unbeliever who does not know a family is a sure force for destruction and misery.

High marriage rates in Germany didn't magically prevent the holocaust from happening.

Nothing about our society is all that different from the past. You are trying to turn the 20th century into a lost golden age when it was anything but that. People were not more faithful to their wives and they didn't treat their children better.

quote:

It's good to know I'm speaking with another Biblical literalist. I've never met another one on here. Speaking from one man of God to another is a totally different experience than a hostile generation of pagans. As long as we refer to the Word of God as our center I can stay level with you. This doesn't mean I won't be passionate. I'd rather be passionate than lukewarm.

Yes. She cared more about her marriage and work life than me. Although to her credit, she is a Christian and a believer, and therefore was far better off than most at doing the right thing. She was my first spiritual mentor. She however was incapable of disciplining us and also, mothers are incapable of a certain kind of discipline. My father was and still is an unbeliever. He did not discipline his children and it led to their ruin. Grace without Truth annihilates children. The Lord is now my shepherd.

"Whoever spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him."
-Proverbs 13:24

Without trying to be overly judgemental, this does not sound like a healthy relationship. I think you are angry at women but you don't want to admit that you're angry, and this confuses you. That confusion creates tension, and to release that tension you imagine a golden past - the 20th century - and a golden future - your death and eventual ascension to heaven - but both of these things are just mechanisms to distract you from the life you are actually living.

I'm not going to get into a long debate with you about this so you'll just have to read these words and decide whether to follow through on them but you are clearly very angry: angry at your parents, angry at the woman who rejected you, angry at society, and perhaps most of all angry at yourself. Until you admit that you're angry you will never find any kind of peace, and wrapping yourself in the flag of righteousness and pretending that it's God judging people and not you is both idolatrous and guarnateed to hurt you further.

Until you can stop being angry and accept the things you cannot change (i.e. your upbringing, the society in which you live, the fact that your previous romantic experience was painful) you'll never move on. And I don't really think you help yourself by coming on here and basically inviting people to tear into you.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

CowOnCrack posted:

It's helpful for you to understand something about myself. I am the son of a progressively minded well-off family who were steeped in the arguments you champion. I was probably the smartest child at most of the public schools I attended, as well as the most delinquent. Based on my life experiences, I have rejected this world view almost entirely in favor of Biblical truth. This will place me firmly in the minority viewpoint of this forum, and also with an uncanny perception and discernment for these lies and their former influence on my world view.

The moral crisis is unfolding at a slow rate and it will take time for its victims to have their voices heard. Your assessment of how they are better off than they were is your point of view and one that is implicitly adopted in the public education establishment at large. It is not challenged because students are not given the tools to challenge it. I shared this point of view with these forums and my peers for most of my life, and now because I don't, most of my debating tactics will resolve around exposing the assumptions or axioms underlying the views you hold.

For example, it's very easy for me to point out that the demographic of these forums has been largely devoid of any real struggle. My life has been one long painful struggle so I have the conviction to argue with the majority point of view when it doesn't reflect reality. The lack of any real struggle means that the views you and others here hold have not been sufficiently tested by practical experience, but rather are constrained within abstract in-group reasoning. Therefore much of what I will say to counter your point of view will not come from the great chain of lies starting with the so-called "Enlightenment" (although I could certainly get into my thorough philosophical rebuttals) but will rather look something like an anecdote, story, or a parable, and will get you to start asking questions.

With regards to sending children to school and children's rights, you are making a moral argument against the injustice of their conditions at that place in time. Whatever we decide to say about that place and time, this is far removed from the conditions of the present, where some children would have been far better off having been forced to work by their parents (I raise my hand enthusiastically!) as well as go to school. The public school system has been a colossal failure for some of its students, like myself, who desperately needed a philosophical and spiritual grounding in their education but these were not included for bogus, lazy arguments about not wanting to offend anyone and in the process letting everyone down.

We treat children and people in general much better than in even the recent past eh? Bold assertion and your general sense of things. I don't even know how to begin debating a point like that. I can say that my whole life I was treated like poo poo, and it was all masked by lies of what is really better for me rather than what was truthfully better. I would say this was by and large true for young people like myself in this country - those that didn't so easily fit into the mold or template of what public education was forcibly offering to everyone.

Nobody ever said the present was great but it is better than it used to be. You are so self absorbed that you haven't put even basic thought into what is being argued here. You think that you're hard done by? I am confindent you never starved and were never forced to work in a factory or a mine. Yeah, you wish your daddy had made you work a part time job after school or during the summer? Go read what it was like working in a coal mine when you're 12 years old.

Because somebody hurt you all you can now do is think about yourself. You pretend to care about society but every thing you post is just me-me-me-me-me-me-me. You're wrapping yourself up in the bible to give a bit of dignity to your complaining even though this is the exact opposite of what the bible tells you to do.

quote:

Of course, and if one is exposed to immorality, better to flee then participate. Truth is far easier said than done. To someone who has been a victim and target his whole life for being different, I will be honest with that I feel incredulous at the notion of you correcting me. I feel like a migrant worker or slave being told this by their master. As a follower of Jesus, I live my life as a slave to everyone. One can be a slave to others on this Earth to earn their bread, love the Lord, and always be happy. This is the template of my life now.

It is the duty of those in a democratic society to freely argue their point of view, and I will preach the Gospel and Biblical truth even through when I am persecuted. No nation in history has stayed safe from persecution forever. I am called to submit to all earthly authorities unless they do not conform to the will of God. In that case I will suffer the consequences of moral disobedience.

You're not preaching though. You aren't making any attempt to understand other people's arguments or to convince them of anything, and you're certainly not setting an example anyone else would want to follow.

And no, you do not have any authority whatsoever to decide that earthly authorities are not conforming to the will of God. That's heresy. You are supposed to live your own life and not be judgement. Judgement is not your prerogative.

quote:

And it's always been wrong.

No, the 20th century was the most horrible and terrible to ever have come to pass. The reason is how far the world turned from God. Nearly half of the world lived under atheist dictatorships at one point.

The 19th century was very religious (and had high rates of marriage) but the French and Belgians and British committed atrocities in Africa and Asia comparable to anything that happened during the holocaust.

We don't live in some uniquely awful period, full stop. Things are bad now because things have always been bad, but there's no basis for claiming they are worse. You were born with the power to use reason to investigate the world around you and reach conclusions - start using that power instead of relying on what your gut tells you. And don't make up some bunk religious excuse for why you refuse to actually investigate the world because that's just you making excuses to avoid confronting your inner pain.

quote:

Without heaven, life is senseless for someone like me. For those for whom Earth is already heaven, I have no ill will. But fear the one who can throw you into Hell, for what good is gaining the world to lose your soul? You must lose your life to gain it.

Anger is a just emotional response to injustice. I invite no one to tear into me. They do it on their own.

You're not actually angry about injustice though, you're angry about being rejected and you're projecting that outward.

I doubt I'll belabour these points any further. I've said all that I have to say, and you're arguments are very circular and repetitive. I'm positive that in the short term you won't listen but if you ever get tired of living in a world of your own delusions then maybe take heed to this: you need to give up your anger and accept your own complicity in your life situation or you'll never heal yourself. You have severe psychological problems and pretending that they are somebody else's fault will not help you. You are perverting religion into an excuse for your own bad behaviour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

That's overly reductive. The self may be radically different than what we think it is, and a lot of research and reflection would suggest that the self is at least partially an emergent byproduct of language and socialization, but it doesn't necessarily follow that the self therefore does not exist. At most we may feel compelled to relax or abandon some of our humanist assumptions about personhood.

• Locked thread