Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
It's always the CIA that are following crazy people nowadays . Who was following them before the CIA existed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snqFHjpDpes

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordoftheT
Feb 2, 2015

Check out this cool dog!
papists

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Sorry you're too much of a sheep to get followed OP.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

angels and demons

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

TEAYCHES posted:

angels and demons

but those don''t exist, the CIA does

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005

TEAYCHES posted:

angels and demons

Faeries and other supernatural bric a brac

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
so were there people running around on the streets screaming about how the angels and faierys and demons are listening to their thoughts? are there any documented cases of those people from back then?

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005

Poetic Justice posted:

so were there people running around on the streets screaming about how the angels and faierys and demons are listening to their thoughts? are there any documented cases of those people from back then?

Not a priority. More emphasis on getting them off the streets and into asylums. Science wasn't into that kinda stuff at the time

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

freemasons. and they still think that too.

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

Jews.

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
I guess it depends on where and when tho

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
jacobins, IBM, spring heeled Jack, the Rothschilds

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Pinkertons, minorities, unwed women

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
i just find it sort of interesting. like now, why is it the CIA and not the FBI? there is a rationality to choosing one over the other, and I want to know what it is, and think if we knew what they thought were following them in olden times we would understand more about them nowadays

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

witches

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Poetic Justice posted:

i just find it sort of interesting. like now, why is it the CIA and not the FBI? there is a rationality to choosing one over the other, and I want to know what it is, and think if we knew what they thought were following them in olden times we would understand more about them nowadays

i would question your premise that more people think the cia is following than the fbi. generally its just government agents or whatever. cia did do mkultra and crazy poo poo tho

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
for the us it was the spanish

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
during revolutionary france it was the austrians

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
if you're british its probably the french

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
for a while it was those punic bastards in carthago

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

TEAYCHES posted:

i would question your premise that more people think the cia is following than the fbi. generally its just government agents or whatever. cia did do mkultra and crazy poo poo tho

it's almost always the CIA man. occasionally they think it's the fbi, but not as often as CIA

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
The French were legitimately spying on a lot of people though

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

huskarl_marx posted:

for a while it was those punic bastards in carthago

huskarl_marx posted:

if you're british its probably the french

huskarl_marx posted:

during revolutionary france it was the austrians

huskarl_marx posted:

for the us it was the spanish

why do you think that is though? what is it that makes crazy people choose those specific things?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

paranoid construct whatever narrative is available around them to construct. we are products of our times and our societies, and this applies to paranoid ppl

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Devils sitting on their chest. Night terrors. God. Also they probably didn't have enough calories in their diet to spend worrying about poo poo that doesn't affect them. Witches. Let's have witch trials. Smart women are witches, duh. Weird hermits are demon folk. This is common knowledge

E: fear of the unknown. Anything that is different that what you grew up with. Ancient history 101

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
fbi is ostensibly a law enforcement agency, cia is espionage. of course the spies are the ones actively spying on you, though id imagine that as more tech-savvy generations suffer psychotic breaks the nsa will become more popular.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Serious Frolicking posted:

fbi is ostensibly a law enforcement agency, cia is espionage. of course the spies are the ones actively spying on you, though id imagine that as more tech-savvy generations suffer psychotic breaks the nsa will become more popular.

that was going to be my followup, who will be the next group that will be following crazy people around. im surprised that the NSA hasn't taken the spot already tbqh

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

Poetic Justice posted:

that was going to be my followup, who will be the next group that will be following crazy people around. im surprised that the NSA hasn't taken the spot already tbqh

Singularity stuff, probably. My toaster is talking to me and it knows my future

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
God

Casual Friday
May 9, 2015

iTS HARD FOR ME TO MAKE A SONG THAT iSNT ABOUT MONEY, JEWELRY OR SKiNNY BUTTERSCOTCH BABES WiTH BASEBALL TiTS BECUZ THATS ALL i THiNK ABOUT
God

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Actually fear of the regime and the kgb and poo poo was what kept communism working for so long. So this type of thing has a utility

Ask n Koreans about their supreme ruler

E: Buncha cargo cults I'll tell you what

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
im hay

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Tilly_Matthews

Whatever the Air Loom Gang was, according to this

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
for fun i put on a black suit and follow homeless alcoholics around

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
it's a small investment up front that pays dividends in entertainment over the years

Han Solomon
Mar 7, 2015

BOUND
AND
GAGGED
them/they

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Poetic Justice posted:

the difference is, the nsa really is spying on you. they are only limited by current technology and not any questions of legality or necessity. so, while their ability to monitor information is probably much smaller in scope than a schizophrenic might imagine, it will only get larger with time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Serious Frolicking posted:

the difference is, the nsa really is spying on you. they are only limited by current technology and not any questions of legality or necessity. so, while their ability to monitor information is probably much smaller in scope than a schizophrenic might imagine, it will only get larger with time.

so maybe the schizophrenics were/are actually prophets?

• Locked thread