Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

neat

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
fake

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

thread delivers, voted 5

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I am amazed every time I see this picture. And also disappointed. Why did we ever stop? Bad decision, humanity.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Looks like it was taken from a higher altitude.

Ive been playing too much kerbal...

:ohdear:

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

yep this gay earth is actually quite beautiful

it's more than we deserve honestly

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.

and gay

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

everytime i see an image like my original post i literally cry if i think about it

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

TEAYCHES posted:

everytime i see an image like my original post i literally cry if i think about it

and gay

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

im not kidding, i stream tears down my face pretty much everytime i realize we set people down on our moon and then stopped doing that because it was no longer politically convenient

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
If they love it on the moon so much they should have stayed there.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
Started a colony I mean. And rented out the space for birthday parties.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
what if u took a poop in space like right outside of the moons gravitational pull

would your dook hit someone on earth

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
actually that made me think about explosive decompression and how nasty it must be if you havent pooped recently

ugh

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

genesplicer posted:

I am amazed every time I see this picture. And also disappointed. Why did we ever stop? Bad decision, humanity.

America won that race, some day china will get there so what, India got to mars orbit and made it look easy, if you want something to look forward to we are going to Europa in a decade or two - http://blog.chron.com/sciguy/2015/05/a-europa-lander-is-possible-jpl-scientists-say-and-congress-appears-likely-to-support-it/

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
i propose a new feature on the next generation of space suits, a camera in the glove/gauntlet that allows for space selfies

with some trending hashtags and some good vines i really think we could get NASA back to full funding

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

genesplicer posted:

once we got there we promptly realized the moon's an even bigger shithole than Iowa and turned right back around

Mars ain't lookin so good either

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
vine idea: you freeze dried your poop and told your cocaptain that it was chocolate space ice cream

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

im the obvious lost ruins of atlantis clearly visible from space in the bottom left-center of the pic

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

Space is pretty cool, 5'ed

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
I feel like I should be accustomed to seeing images like this by now since we've been at it for so long and have all been seeing these kinds of pictures since we were kids. But for whatever reason, I'm still in just as much awe today as I was the first time I saw pictures of Earth from space like this. It really never gets old, and always makes me a little excited to think about whatever the next step for humanity may be.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

The Mentalizer posted:

I feel like I should be accustomed to seeing images like this by now since we've been at it for so long and have all been seeing these kinds of pictures since we were kids. But for whatever reason, I'm still in just as much awe today as I was the first time I saw pictures of Earth from space like this. It really never gets old, and always makes me a little excited to think about whatever the next step for humanity may be.

lol if you arent jaded and immune to all of lifes wonder and glory just lol

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

which one is the moon

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

imagine being the guy that has to dock these motherfuckers together

and then imagine being the unrecognized autist that no one will ever thank who did all the calculations for the docking months previously

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

The Mentalizer posted:

extinction

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

genesplicer posted:

because going to space is loving expensive and we are not going to be able to go beyond our own moon, much less mars, on currently existing techology

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

genesplicer posted:

in all honesty because it became a thing where we won, planted our flag and it was kinda done. publicly known tech cant get us any farther than we've gone so all we can do now is launch probes and see what we can see

any cutting edge stuff has been folded under the military's budget now so if we see it, it will be in like 20 years when we learn we discovered lightspeed in like 1999 and we subjugated an alien planet and took their oil before the gov't told us about it

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

the current soyuz docking procedure

this is how the international space station gets supplied now that the united states got nothin

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

TEAYCHES posted:

the current soyuz docking procedure

this is how the international space station gets supplied now that the united states got nothin

'you may have won space race comrade but we still need to resupply hamster cage in orbit eh haha.' way to win the long con, meanwhile US is casually reverse-thrust-landing SUVs on mars.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

OMFG FURRY posted:

because going to space is loving expensive and we are not going to be able to go beyond our own moon, much less mars, on currently existing techology

not all of us but we could pretty readily send people to mars using current technology, or even 30 years ago technology. ability was never the issue it's more, what's the point. you can't live there, you seriously wouldn't want to even if you could, there's nothing you can do there that robots couldn't do better. in another decade prices will have dropped enough and plutocrats will be rich enough that some dude who hired the guys who invented the next big social media app will probably commission a vanity mission just to say that he did it, and that's how the first and last human will set foot on Mars.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 09:11 on May 10, 2015

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Supreme Allah posted:

'you may have won space race comrade but we still need to resupply hamster cage in orbit eh haha.' way to win the long con, meanwhile US is casually reverse-thrust-landing SUVs on mars.

that was so cool, the latest mars landing. "its heavy, lets have a ridiculously complex system of thrusters to slow down the descent" and it worked

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
this world is too beautiful for us to live on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i saw gravity in IMAX on a 61'H x 85'W screen i had a boner at all times for space and sandra bullock also

• Locked thread