Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
This ain't TBB so leave your preconceptions behind.

This is a thread for normal goons to talk about novels or short stories they like without having to read 12 books in some fantasy series in order to understand what the hell everyone else is talking about.

I'll start.

Blindsight by Peter Watts. If you like resurrected, insanely intelligent space vampires that use the tortured faces of humans as a computer interface then you'll like this book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle.

Where to begin!

Well, as far as I can tell this is a book about fat shaming and challenging preconceptions about obesity. I mean there is no doubt, the Very Hungry Caterpillar as named in the book's title, he's a greedy bastard. He eats everything and I mean... everything. Below is a list of what he consumes throughout the course of the book.

Foods eaten:

1 apple
2 pears
3 plums
4 strawberries
5 oranges
1 piece of chocolate cake
1 ice cream cone
1 pickle
1 slice of Swiss cheese
1 slice of salami
1 lollipop
1 piece of cherry pie
1 sausage
1 cupcake
1 slice of watermelon
1 green leaf

Now tell me something. Could you eat all of that? I couldn't! But there's a lot of people who do. And why do you they eat so much I hear you ask? Well various reasons, but the one that comes immediately to mind is depression and anxiety.

As a society we demonise these individuals, call them things like 'chunky monkey' and 'fatty fatty bum bum' and what does this achieve but make them more depressed, eat more food, as did the caterpillar who no doubt you were shaming (I know I was!) throughout the book.

But then what happened at the end? Motherfucker turned into a beautiful butterfly that's what!

I felt ashamed. Ashamed to throw judgement. A single solitary tear rolled down my cheek. I will never fat shame again.

In conclusion I found this to be a very moving narrative on today's society, with a fantastic plot twist at the end, 8/10.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
welp, i'm gay

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

SweetKarma posted:

This ain't TBB so leave your preconceptions behind.

This is a thread for normal goons to talk about novels or short stories they like without having to read 12 books in some fantasy series in order to understand what the hell everyone else is talking about.

I'm reading the wheel of time right now

Fuk u

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
She turns. 'Hold up my fur.' He obeys. 'Be careful. Don't touch my skin.' Earlier in this game she was nervous, constipated, wondering if this is anything like male impotence. But thoughtful Pointsman, anticipating this, has been sending laxative pills with her meals. Now her intestines whine softly, and she feels poo poo begin to slide down and out. He knees with his arms up holding the rich cape. A dark turd appears out the crevice, out of the absolute darkness between her white buttocks. He spreads his knees, awkwardly, until he can feel the leather of her boots. He leans forward to surround the hot turd with his lips, sucking on it tenderly, licking along its lower side ... he is thinking, he's sorry, he can't help it, thinking of a negro's penis, yes he knows it abrogates part of the conditions set, but it will not be denied, the image of a brute African who will make him behave...The stink of poo poo floods his nose, gathering him, surrounding. It is the smell of Passchendaele, of the salient. Mixed with the mud, and the putrefaction of corpses, it was the sovereign smell of their first meeting, and her emblem. The turd slides into his mouth, down into his gullet. He gags, but bravely clamps his teeth shut. Bread that would have floated in porcelain waters somewhere, unseen, untasted--risen now and baked in the bitter intestinal over to bread we know, bread that's light as domestic comfort, secret as death in bed ... Spasms in his throat continue. The pain is terrible. With his tongue he mashes poo poo against the roof of his mouth and begins to chew, thickly now, the only sound in the room...

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

ROFLburger posted:

I'm reading the wheel of time right now

Fuk u

We'll all be much older and wiser by the time you actually finish the series.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

My co-worker has self-published three lovely detective novels on Amazon and if I didn't care about doxxing I'd share them here.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

SweetKarma posted:

speaking of the malazan series i've almost finished the first book and i'm not sure if i like this thing or if i'm just reading it because of effort justification

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
journey to the end of the night by louis ferdinand celine

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012
Dog-Raped Waitress by Ted Leonard

If you've read Leonard's previous novel, Daughter Digs Dogs you might think you know what you're getting yourself in for but oh no, you'd be wrong.

Whereas Daughter Digs Dogs was a sensitively-written story of teenage girl, daughter of divorced parents, and her quest for love, Dog-Raped Waitress on the other hand takes a much darker approach. Here the protagonist, a waitress, after a long shift finds herself at the mercy of a pack of horny mutts. And they tie her up and do all sorts to her. At first I got an erection, but then I realised that this is bad and wrong. No woman should have to deal with this kind of degrading treatment by any amount of dogs and we should look at how we marginalise women in society and treat victims of sexual violence with more respect than we do. No means no.

It's always risky when an established author decides to go their own way, and makes the transition from popular run-of-the mill romantic fiction to gritty, hard-hitting social commentary but Leonard does so with ease and I look forward to his future works.

So in conclusion, thank you Ted Leonard for opening my eyes on the issue of gender equality within our society, a solid 6/10 I would have rated higher but there was some semen on a few of the pages.

Shirley Crabtree fucked around with this message at 12:45 on May 10, 2015

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

krampster2 posted:

speaking of the malazan series i've almost finished the first book and i'm not sure if i like this thing or if i'm just reading it because of effort justification

Just stop reading fantasy. For whatever reason publishers have got it in their minds that all fantasy books have to be part of a series. I can handle a trilogy, but once you start getting into the double digits things have gone too far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

i'm reading Popular Crime and it's a cool book i like books and so should u blaze one for the nation hashtag blessed love u big man upstairs

stay true. stay u.

• Locked thread