Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Gay Romans
Mar 19, 2015

Pitbull enthusiast
I like her and her music.

oh poo poo, page 3 snipe with a liking a thing post.

Gonna catch some flak for this poo poo, oh boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

The Mentalizer posted:

:goonsay:

That's like the gooniest possible opinion on songwriting. "How dare this person have the nerve to write a song that isn't exclusively sourced from and about their own (and only their own) life experiences!" What about fiction writers? Was it upsetting to discover that GRRM actually drives a car around instead of riding a dragon?

It's actually more like that "Million Little Pieces" guy. Lorde's image building had a huge part of it that was "Believe she's actually a disaffected low-class teen and not a groomed pop star."

EDIT: Personally I was done with her when music journalists were falling over themselves to declare her the new Nirvana/Beatles/Whitney Houston because apparently music journalism is worse than game journalism.

Razorwired fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 10, 2015

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
Let's go down to the SA forums and talk it up like yeah

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I enjoy all the songs about classism from the britpop band "Pulp"

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Razorwired posted:

It's actually more like that "Million Little Pieces" guy. Lorde's image building had a huge part of it that was "Believe she's actually a disaffected low-class teen and not a groomed pop star."

Everyone knows the defining trait of pop music is authenticity. How dare she?

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Hobohemian posted:

Saying "this is some bullshit" and not listening = seething hatred.

GBS never changes.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Razorwired posted:

GBS never changes.

So don't post here if you're gonna cry about it every time.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Razorwired posted:

GBS never changes.

mr.capps posted:

you are not self aware are you

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

mr.capps posted:

I enjoy all the songs about classism from the britpop band "Pulp"

common people is even smugger and more patronizing than royals

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Hobohemian posted:

perhaps you gents would be interested in a thing called "rockism!"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Horniest Manticore posted:

common people is even smugger and more patronizing than royals

you say that like its a bad thing

mis-shapes is my favorite one about class tho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0DRch3YLh0

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich

The Mentalizer posted:

:goonsay:

That's like the gooniest possible opinion on songwriting. "How dare this person have the nerve to write a song that isn't exclusively sourced from and about their own (and only their own) life experiences!" What about fiction writers? Was it upsetting to discover that GRRM actually drives a car around instead of riding a dragon?

he writes goony fantasy poo poo not a first person narrative about how he is a svelte adonis which would be just as annoying and disingenuous as this 'lol im totally a poor i get it' style of songwriting.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
hmm, there is something funny about complaining about these people being disingenuous and inauthentic while posting in gbs, i just can't put my finger on it

naem
May 29, 2011

Lorde, Taylor swift, Ariana vente, all billionaire's kids

Meatwolfe
Oct 31, 2011
All this poo poo confuses me, guess I'm Ole.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Lorde's an alien that's trying to assimilate into humanity. Learning how to smile, etc.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Razorwired posted:

GBS never changes.

Nobody said anything about seething hatred, you're responding to imaginary hyperbolic statements. The point being made is that criticizing a singer or songwriter for their lyrics not being 100% true and authentic to what you perceive their image to be is kind of silly. Most people take it as a given that, unless the artist comes out and expressly claims to be writing autobiographically, they should probably take any lyrics with a grain of salt. So unless you're an angsty teenager or emotionally stunted adult there's no reason to get worked up over the authenticity of whatever pop artist is currently in the spotlight.

It's also very different from the Million Little Pieces guy, since that dude expressly passed his work off as a factual recounting of his story. I don't know of any time Lorde has gone on TV or whatever and claimed that her lyrics are an autobiographical reflection of her struggle to rise up out of a poverty stricken background. But feel free to show me I'm wrong.

E:

Mr. Unlucky posted:

he writes goony fantasy poo poo not a first person narrative about how he is a svelte adonis which would be just as annoying and disingenuous as this 'lol im totally a poor i get it' style of songwriting.

It's all fiction dude.

the future is WOW fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 10, 2015

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008
umm her songs aren't aboutyou being poor. :confused:
they're about growing up and the poo poo that changes. they're about the fantasies and realizations have while growing up. everybody goes through that stage of realizing life isn't going to turn out what you think, becoming nostalgic for the (even somewhat) recent past, realizing your mortality, realizing that youre different from the people around, realizing that things change.

her music is like a 14 year old journal going through life to turn 16. Some of it is immature because thats what it is. She tells the story well and the actual music is pretty good. and also, its not sexualized. she is not a good looking girl.so you can like it just for the songs and not like pretending to like taytay's horrible music just because you like looking at her in videos.

calling her the next nirvana or beatles or whatever is pretty ridiculous seeing as she's only had the one album and will probably completely fizzle out when her second one sucks rear end. but whatever.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

brick cow posted:

umm her songs aren't aboutyou being poor. :confused:
they're about growing up and the poo poo that changes. they're about the fantasies and realizations have while growing up. everybody goes through that stage of realizing life isn't going to turn out what you think, becoming nostalgic for the (even somewhat) recent past, realizing your mortality, realizing that youre different from the people around, realizing that things change.

her music is like a 14 year old journal going through life to turn 16. Some of it is immature because thats what it is. She tells the story well and the actual music is pretty good. and also, its not sexualized. she is not a good looking girl.so you can like it just for the songs and not like pretending to like taytay's horrible music just because you like looking at her in videos.

calling her the next nirvana or beatles or whatever is pretty ridiculous seeing as she's only had the one album and will probably completely fizzle out when her second one sucks rear end. but whatever.

I think you like Lorde too much.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

She's from NZ and as per NZ law, any time anything remotely related to NZ comes up in comversation overseas, we are all compelled to say "OH YEAH SHE'S FROM NEW ZEALAND I'M ALSO FROM NEW ZEALAND HAVE YOU EVER BEEN THERE ITS GREAT! OH YEAH NO WE'RE NOT PART OF AUSTRALIA WE'RE BETTER THAN THEM RUGBYY RUGBY RUSSELL CROWE KIWI MATE".

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

megalodong posted:

She's from NZ and as per NZ law, any time anything remotely related to NZ comes up in comversation overseas, we are all compelled to say "OH YEAH SHE'S FROM NEW ZEALAND I'M ALSO FROM NEW ZEALAND HAVE YOU EVER BEEN THERE ITS GREAT! OH YEAH NO WE'RE NOT PART OF AUSTRALIA WE'RE BETTER THAN THEM RUGBYY RUGBY RUSSELL CROWE KIWI MATE".

I'm really glad our media stopped following her every move and incredulously wondering why anyone would win any music award over her so much, that was really really embarrassing. NZ just makes me want to crawl out of my skin some times.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

megalodong posted:

this would be relateable to me if i had ever once in my life met someone from new zealand

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

swampland posted:

I'm really glad our media stopped following her every move and incredulously wondering why anyone would win any music award over her so much, that was really really embarrassing. NZ just makes me want to crawl out of my skin some times.

It's kinda cute though, the way NZ is always so excited whenever one of their own becomes famous outside of the country.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

ive only heard that one track but i hope her queen bee line kicks off a beef with lil kim

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Necros posted:

ive only heard that one track but i hope her queen bee line kicks off a beef with lil kim

Yeah, Lorde needs a good beef with someone. Like a really intense hatefest. It would be so great to see another celebrity get into it with a teenager.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

megalodong posted:

you're pretty cranky for someone who lives in middle earth

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Her music sucks this isn't hard to understand.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Professor Shark posted:

(according to poster Waltzing Along, who I like in YLLS but HATE in Neuve GBS)

LMFAO

That's a mighty fine compliment. I like to think I am a multifaceted poster who can troll and be helpful at the same time.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAh9NRGNhUU

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Cubey posted:

girls are allowed to be short. a short man however is a horrible sin.

I'm 5'6", does this mean I need to get a sex change in order to get into the kingdom of Heaven?

memento mori
May 4, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBmCJEehYtU

Better than the original, your welcome

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
this is the most lorde has been discussed in well over a year

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

This is horrible.

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
kind of feel bad for her.

come to our bizzaro world of zero consequences and nonstop attention normalish teenage girl, good luck not starring on an E! news "famous gently caress ups" segment in 10 years

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

because some people crave the meager sense of accomplishment they falsely derive from effortlessly making GBS threads on someone else's creative works

usually these are folks who have never done very much creatively in their lives that didn't involve their job

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
I'm glad Ive gotten to an age where I don't care about pop stars anymore. A year or two back I saw a friend bitching about bieber on Facebook and all I could think is "we are in our 30s I don't have time or energy to hate popular celebrities anymore"

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
because her music stinks and she's a pretentious douchebag.

i don't know who i hate more, her or lana del ray.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
*Lana Del Rey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

yeah that owned lol

• Locked thread