Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
There is almost no benefit in hanging out with a serial killer so lets ditch him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

Niggurath posted:

And finally I also found out that I shouldn't press Start and Select at the same time in this game cause it'll just boot me back to the main menu. All great things to keep in mind.

Bunch of Japanese PS1/PS2 games did this. I know plenty of fighters had L1+L2+R1+R2+Select+Start as a soft reset that boots you in the main menu. Some JRPGs also had it I think.

Great stuff as far as the LP goes. I enjoy your esoteric horror game stuff.

Also, ditch Kamiya.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

RealSovietBear posted:

Bunch of Japanese PS1/PS2 games did this. I know plenty of fighters had L1+L2+R1+R2+Select+Start as a soft reset that boots you in the main menu. Some JRPGs also had it I think.

Great stuff as far as the LP goes. I enjoy your esoteric horror game stuff.

Also, ditch Kamiya.

Hellnight Bonus Video: Let's Try deSPIRIA

Well if you like esoteric, then boy howdy...is this it. I don't know why this aggravated me so much, but I could have sworn it wouldn't take as long to get to combat. Hopefully I don't sound too angry, cause I think I was.

But yeah, this is apparently the plot of the game:

MobyGames posted:

deSpiria is an RPG adventure that takes place in the futuristic Japan of 2070. Twenty-two years after the World War III, an organization known as Church has taken power. You play as Allure Valentine, a girl who was recruited by the Church as an undercover agent. On one of her missions, Allure boards a train that crashes shortly thereafter. Her first task will be to find a way out of the underground tunnel and to discover who or what was behind that crash.

And yeah, I vaguely remember more complex button combinations to reset games. Start and select just seems way too simple to reset the game.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
Oh god, I actually know of this game, I just never knew it was from the Hellnight people. Whenever I looked up gameplay videos of it, my only reaction was "what the gently caress am I watching".

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Wow both these games really love their lovely stock sound effects.

But deSpira looks like it could have been interesting at the time. Sort of like a budget SMT game. Though I suppose the same could be said for HellNight.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I really don't like Kamiya's vibe, so let's get rid of 'im. The last thing we need in our adventures is a trigger-happy nutjob.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
I think we should prove to Kamiya that he's right about us not being prey like the rest of the people down here by preying on him. Kill him and every other partner off until we hopefully get Razzo as a partner.

On that note, I guess the livestock are equally as invisible as the residents of the Mesh?

Also, deSpiria looks astounding. :allears:

Limopalise
May 4, 2015

A boring man. It's hard to tell what he's capable of.
Thank you for showing deSPIRIA off. It looks... like something. Good? Bad? Who knows.

Also, is it possible that we're the ones giving the Mesh residents their nicknames? I just noticed that there's that one guy whose name changes to "Peaceful" after they die.

VVVVVV
Well if that doesn't scream quality, then I dunno what does.

Limopalise fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 26, 2015

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

^^^^^^^^
This will answer your wondering if it's a good or bad game:

yokaiy posted:

I think we should prove to Kamiya that he's right about us not being prey like the rest of the people down here by preying on him. Kill him and every other partner off until we hopefully get Razzo as a partner.

On that note, I guess the livestock are equally as invisible as the residents of the Mesh?

Also, deSpiria looks astounding. :allears:
The astounding thing about deSpiria is how long it apparently is. Like it's seriously a 12 hour long walk into insanity where you stick power-ups in your nose and fight topless android ladies while getting harassed by an endless stream of pale goth mall walkers. I would do it untranslated with Panzer but I don't think her mind could take it. She was already having enough of a mental breakdown when we ran into the side boob heavy butch lady with a wrench arm.

But all that aside, I wonder what you guys think of that weird quiz. Like were there supposed to be any deeper meaning or was it just odd busy work?

Also I like the idea that Rhys is in this world to steal toys from babies and in case we gave the headphones to Mika. It's nice that the game covers whatever possibilities we might stumble into and if it were possible, I'd walk back to those damned stairs with every future NPC only to see what happens.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 26, 2015

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
I just want you to know that 6 hours into deSpiria and will not stop until this videogame has run out of videogame. It isn't getting any better in case you were wondering.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Niggurath posted:

But all that aside, I wonder what you guys think of that weird quiz. Like were there supposed to be any deeper meaning or was it just odd busy work?

Well, here are my imagery-and-archetype-based theories on that quiz.

First question, we've got to pick between a white crow and a black dove. First and foremost, crows and doves both have their own associated symbolism, both in sort of a general sense and in a Japan-specific sense. Crows are generally regarded as tricksters of a sort, as well as thieves and such. Their reputation isn't too great, especially in western culture. Contrasted with the dove, which is usually a symbol of peace, we can see how the Crow is the obvious choice for our path of darkness or whatever. But let's take this a little further.

In Japan specifically, there is a mythological three-legged crow which is a liiiittle different. The "Yatagarasu," as it's called, is actually a mark of guidance, and is supposed to be sort of like this creature that cleans up after wars and tragedies. So the symbolism here is rebirth, ushering in a new era of peace and signaling an end to tragedy. The dove, on the other hand, doesn't really change across cultures, though it has some association with a god of war. It still stands for peace. With that in mind, they end up actually being a lot more similar in meaning, though still not the same. The crow is for rebirth, and the dove for sustained life. Well, life sure isn't being sustained with this monster running around, so we should go for the crow which brings about change, and see if we can't fix our problems. Bring an end to this monster's reign of terror and signal that peace has returned to the Mesh.

There's also the matter of colors, of course. White crows and black doves do exist in nature, and not even as rarely as you might think. They don't live very long, since they're kinda ostracized by the rest of the bird community (or at least for crows, I'm assuming it's the same for the doves), but they happen. At their most basic, black and white symbolize evil and good. Now, when we've got a white version of a dark creature, it implies that this version of the creature is an outlier, going against the usual dark nature it would have. This is kind of going back to the western symbolism, but it's really hard to be a sneaky bad guy when you are an albino. On the flip side, a black version of a white creature can be seen as corrupted. This is especially true given that white is supposed to symbolize purity. So, how does that change our choice here? Well, the old man says that only a heart of darkness can bring about happiness with the flute. So, we go with the white crow because evil bird -> doing good.

Next question, we've got a town of children versus a town of adults. This one is pretty straight-forward. Children are generally seen as being blameless or innocent, whereas adults suck and are huge jerks. Heart of darkness, right? So we go with the adults.

Third question, the ocean against the void of space.

I could go on about all the things the ocean can symbolize for literally a day. I am not going to do that. Instead, I'm gonna point you in the direction of Digimon, because it pretty well sums up why we're picking the ocean for our darkness theme. In season 2 of Digimon, there is a place called the Dark Ocean, and no one knows what the gently caress it is or why it is there, but it's basically made out of sadness and anxiety. Oceans are loving scary. They are dark, you can't see to the bottom, they're cold, and weird poo poo lives in them, some of which would be very okay with eating you. Things that want to drag you down under the waves while you struggle until you can't move anymore. It's super distressing. Basically, whenever they go there in Digimon, this one kid screams a lot until they get out. My point here is that the ocean is a symbol for all the darkness and anxiety that people have hidden away. You can't tell from the surface just what is going on below, and the same goes for people. Also, surprise, the ocean is often associated with the color black (or vice versa) in Asian cultures. Also, also, Cthulu.

But hey, space is pretty dark too, right? Yes, but it is a very different kind of dark. Space symbolizes mystery and exploration. While the mystery of the unknown can certainly imply evil and such, it can also lead to discovery, and there is a lot of hope out there in the unknown. Because hey, if you don't know for sure it's terrible, it could end up being not that bad! So this isn't dark enough for our associate to want to hand over the flute. Not to mention that there are stars in space, which further cement the whole hope and light thing.

Am I reading too much into things? Almost certainly. I don't think it was intended to be much more than busy work, but at the very least, the imagery is there backing it up in some vague sense.

Also, apologies if this makes less sense than I think it does. I'm pretty tired.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

It's odd that the 'Yatagarasu' being a mark of guidance in Japanese culture has an parallel in Greek culture. Apparently in Greek culture, the crow was originally white but was turned black by Apollo (the Greek god of prophecy and healing), so it seems there's multiple instances in different cultures of the crow being a mixed omen. That it's both cunning and treacherous, prophecy and death.

I guess the main problem with the quiz is that there's no hints initially that you're meant to be inclined to answer in an 'evil' manner. Just seems a bit of an odd assumption.

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

I just want you to know that 6 hours into deSpiria and will not stop until this videogame has run out of videogame. It isn't getting any better in case you were wondering.
Yeah, i watched a bit more of a longplay and it never seemed like the game got any harder. It was just an eccentric journey.

CremePudding
Oct 30, 2011

Niggurath posted:

The astounding thing about deSpiria is how long it apparently is. Like it's seriously a 12 hour long walk into insanity where you stick power-ups in your nose and fight topless android ladies while getting harassed by an endless stream of pale goth mall walkers. I would do it untranslated with Panzer but I don't think her mind could take it. She was already having enough of a mental breakdown when we ran into the side boob heavy butch lady with a wrench arm.

You know the game is insane when your character shove Resident Evil-style worms into her own nose happily and her starter monsters have "Love" and "Death" as their element.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
And also your first enemy is a Newgrounds horror flash jpeg.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

That game looked like it was so far up its own rear end it was a singularity.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
deSpiria update: I want to die but I think i'm halfway through.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

deSpiria update: I want to die but I think i'm halfway through.
Anything of interest? Also me and Panzer are wondering....but are you actually playing it or just watching a longplay? Cause oh my god, please don't play it.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Niggurath posted:

Anything of interest? Also me and Panzer are wondering....but are you actually playing it or just watching a longplay? Cause oh my god, please don't play it.

I refuse to believe a human would play this game

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.

Niggurath posted:

Nope straight up playing it. I can read a kindergarten level of Japanese. I've run into someone that can only be described as 12-year-old-cool catwoman. I am losing my goddamned mind but I refuse to stop now.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

Nope straight up playing it. I can read a kindergarten level of Japanese. I've run into someone that can only be described as 12-year-old-cool catwoman. I am losing my goddamned mind but I refuse to stop now.
Just think, instead of playing this you could be trying to figure out how to make Lifeline work as an LP. And yeah, I'm probably the only one who remembered you did a test post of that (at least I think it was you).

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

I have no idea how we're almost finished with this game and still have no idea what's going on.

Also this game is still poo poo at explaining game mechanics...the NPC attack button is the same as the NPC talk button.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
Wait a good goddamn minute there's an attack button? I guess maybe that's the point of keeping kamiya around. I mean what could Naomi have possibly done to the monster.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Maybe I'm crazy, but that map had the Eastern block to the west and the Western block to the east. I was trying to figured out if the map was actually upside down on the screen the whole episode. It's really bizarre. This area is certainly not OSHA approved.

I'm really curious what happens if you have Kamiya with you when you meet Ivanoff. Well at least he's from the surface. He's probably not that crazy then... ha. ha. ha. Yeah right. This is a horror game. Every character is probably horrible in some way.

That backtracking for the event trigger is total bull poo poo and really awful design. It would have been fine as a hint if you weren't sure where to find Kojima, but to have it required.. yeesh.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Niggurath posted:

I have no idea how we're almost finished with this game and still have no idea what's going on.

I'm surprised that you're almost finished, one of the related videos for your most recent one was part 82 of someone else's hellnight LP.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

D_W posted:

Maybe I'm crazy, but that map had the Eastern block to the west and the Western block to the east. I was trying to figured out if the map was actually upside down on the screen the whole episode. It's really bizarre. This area is certainly not OSHA approved.

I'm really curious what happens if you have Kamiya with you when you meet Ivanoff. Well at least he's from the surface. He's probably not that crazy then... ha. ha. ha. Yeah right. This is a horror game. Every character is probably horrible in some way.

That backtracking for the event trigger is total bull poo poo and really awful design. It would have been fine as a hint if you weren't sure where to find Kojima, but to have it required.. yeesh.
Yeah, doing a test run and reading a guide with Panzer, we were a bit confused initially why it was making us do these things in the order it was. I mean it would make more sense to go back to Leno when all the thieves are found, and go to the residential area when the pass is made....but nope. And all the weird poo poo you have to do before entering the factory is just confusing and not clear (like there is nothing to indicate those big steel bars are supposed to be gates).

But I think I can probably check to see what happens if Kamiya and Ivanoff meet, but I don't think it's anything super interesting. Like I doubt they have a gun fight or anything, though I do fully admit that knowing exactly how any situation in this game will work out is a crap shoot; case in point when Kamiya just murders that NPC.

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

Wait a good goddamn minute there's an attack button? I guess maybe that's the point of keeping kamiya around. I mean what could Naomi have possibly done to the monster.
I think I remember seeing a comment in some video for another LP of this game that she was supposed to have some psychic attack but that sounds way too stupid to be true. I am pretty happy to say though that I'm probably the only LP'er I've seen so far that figured out the attack button....so hooray for me?

Red Bones posted:

I'm surprised that you're almost finished, one of the related videos for your most recent one was part 82 of someone else's hellnight LP.
It's good to keep in mind that most of the LP's were made back when the youtube time limit was in effect but it's also good to keep in mind that a lot of people played the game blind and did no editing.

Case in point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TmJzovxaFY

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Niggurath posted:

It's good to keep in mind that most of the LP's were made back when the youtube time limit was in effect but it's also good to keep in mind that a lot of people played the game blind and did no editing.

I remember trying to follow a video LP of Vagrant Story back when the video limits were in effect and it was absolutely impossible.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Also there were a couple of things that I meant to mention in the video itself, but first...the Research area. Now I mostly did streamline that entire affair but I can't express enough how much of that place is a waste of time. There are multiple labs and rooms that are just collective dead ends meant to have you running around pointlessly in that semi maze and all the while, every time you enter one of these pointless rooms that guy will pop up behind you. And oh no, he won't pop up to give useful info; instead he'll always pop up, say he knows you're looking for Miyake, say that he's not in 'x' room, and that he wishes you good luck. Then he pops off into the ether leaving you wondering what his point is outside of being a super vague clue (the clue being that if he doesn't appear then you've found the one right room).

Now even while that's frustrating and lovely, meandering design, I still appreciate the fact that they gave the player multiple options of approaching a situation. Like let's say that you did give the headphones to 'Natural' Mika, well obviously you couldn't go to Tetsuo but the game gives you a second option in the form of the rear end in a top hat Rhys (who still stinks). It's at least giving some small variance to how you can approach a situation, though it ends up being a bit confusing to leave the NPC's behind even though they will invariably do gently caress all for you. But I can at least respect the effort.

And finally, I did miss a conversation in the livestock area with Razzo; not sure if anyone would want to see it but I could go back and get some screenshots of it so you guys can get the gist of it.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
I'd be interested, unless it's a huge pain in the rear end.

Also, I vote for killing off our new partner. I know it's not up for a vote right now, but I still want us to burn through every available partner in the game.

Limopalise
May 4, 2015

For the first time I'm tempted to say keep Ivanoff, because he's a cool dude with a flamethrower grenade launcher out for revenge. I'd like to see his story pan out, personally.

Also, I forget if this has been answered before, but do you plan on showing off any of the other endings?
Though, looking at this game, I can totally understand not playing through it multiple times just for that.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

yokaiy posted:

I'd be interested, unless it's a huge pain in the rear end.

Also, I vote for killing off our new partner. I know it's not up for a vote right now, but I still want us to burn through every available partner in the game.
I think currently there are maybe two partners left, but I'll definitely keep the vote in mind (though the next partner isn't anywhere near as amazing as baby faced Russian merc).

And nah, it wouldn't be too hard to get the conversation; I've got multiple saves going on. Hopefully I'll also get the next update recorded and done over the weekend.

Limopalise posted:

For the first time I'm tempted to say keep Ivanoff, because he's a cool dude with a flamethrower grenade launcher out for revenge. I'd like to see his story pan out, personally.

Also, I forget if this has been answered before, but do you plan on showing off any of the other endings?
Though, looking at this game, I can totally understand not playing through it multiple times just for that.
I myself will probably not be playing through to get all the endings, but I was able to find a youtube video that has them all. So I'll probably just link the other ones in here, but yeah, even with knowing how to get through the game Hellnight isn't an especially long game....but it certainly wouldn't be my aspiration to play through another four or five times to get what I assume to be three minute long videos.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Hellnight Bonus 4: Quality time with Razzo

Sorry this took a bit of time but I was wanting to get together the footage for the next part and boy howdy...was it frustrating. But yeah, just a short bonus video for a missed conversation with Razzo (because everyone loves this little ummmmm orphan?) and I decided to see if Ivanoff and Kamiya had any special dialogue for their meeting. They kinda do and it brings up an interesting question of possibly Kamiya turning into the monster.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Well, good thing we killed Kamiya off when we had the chance, then. :haw: Also, thank you, Razzo, that was actually quite helpful.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

yokaiy posted:

Well, good thing we killed Kamiya off when we had the chance, then. :haw: Also, thank you, Razzo, that was actually quite helpful.
Yeah, Razzo is great for bizarre bits of story information but they seem to not use him enough or tuck him away in odd locations. Like the reason he's so easy to miss is because he's just in one of the many rooms of the Livestock area and there's no real reason (outside of morbid curiosity or to find an NPC that I think is called 'Hunky') to look around in there.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

So it turns out that the game was an rear end in a top hat all along.

Also for the vote this time around we've got something a bit different. Now we do see that we meet a new partner in this video but pretty soon we'll be meeting our final, possible partner. So this time around do we want to keep Ivanoff, try out Rene, or see what's behind door number 3. Either way, I'll try to make a bonus video to show off which ever partner might not be shown, so we will get to see them in some fashion; but for this last final bit they suddenly decide to quickly throw extra meat shieldshelpful and insightful partners our way.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I vote for Door Number Three.

Limopalise
May 4, 2015

I've pretty much lost any hope of Razzo being a partner, and door number three options rarely mean anything good. I say we keep Ivanoff.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Door number 3! Let's see who else this game has to show us.

I really like the temple scene. The mesh up until now has been kinda stilted and weird, but it's always been pretty spread out with lots of long, quiet corridors. Suddenly everything is weird and off and happening all at once, and it feels so apart from the real world, deep underground in a weirdass temple with a creepy priest, that it works really well for me. Are we going to find out why the head priest looked like he had a giant centipede instead of legs?

CremePudding
Oct 30, 2011
Keep Ivanoff, I found it hilarious how he got so caught up in telling his life story in such a dangerous situation that it took him basically forever to say "My point is that we might get caught".

Rene going Tomb Raider on Holy Ring is pretty :haw: though.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
deSpiria watch update: Finished it. Would heartily recommend if you want to experience just how close you can push yourself to insanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Another vote for bachelor number three.

• Locked thread