Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

http://store.steampowered.com/app/287960/
Normal Price $15.
On Sale until May 15th $10

What is Yomi?
Simply put, Yomi is a classic style fighting game in the vein of Street Fighter, Killer Instinct, or Mortal Kombat transferred onto a card based system. Tom Vasel of Dice Tower named it his Game of the Year in 2010 but despite that it's actually pretty good! Yomi has existed as a physical card game for several years and playable on some place called fantasystrike.com or something. Anyway it's on Steam now so the world finally knows it exists.

Pick your character

Choose your move

Stack your combo

How does it work?

Combat in Yomi is based around a simple system seen here.

You and your opponent will both choose moves simultaneously and secretly, and the fight will then play out based on your choices. What stops the game from being Rock Paper Scissors: Anime Edition is the fact that your moves are all based around a standard deck of playing cards. Numbers 2-6 are attack/dodge, 7-10 block/throw, and Jack/Queen/King/Ace being special attacks. Barring special effects you only draw on card a turn so it's not normally possible for a player to, say, launch attacks five turns in a row. It's all about reading your opponent's tendencies and balancing that against probabilities. Aces are powerful but there can be only be four in a deck.

Excuse me is this game actually a pile of misogynist anime tripe?

No of course not why would you...

Oh my. Ok no you see we have to establish some context...

Please don't do this I'm beg...

Ok so it's possible the art isn't the most uh, "inclusive" ever. Some of you may be suffering Dragon's Crown flashbacks right now. If this is the sort of thing that sours you on a game you may need to pass this time but really the game doesn't shove this kind of stuff in your face or anything. I think some of the art is a tad unfortunate but overall it's pretty good if a little cartoony. The above images were handpicked as the most egregious it gets, some may find it offensive but it's a far cry from stuff like Senran Kagura or HoneyPop or whatever. Individual mileage may vary.

Goons?
There is a Goon group which currently consists almost exclusively of Imp Zone posters. This may be either encouraging or triggering to you, dear reader. I'm not actually an officer or even member at this time so I don't know post or something if you want in and they'll probably send you an invite. Link below

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/YomBro

My Autism cannot be sated without detailed stat tracking. Does this game deliver?
Yomi has a wealth of stat tracking and leader board features. You can also unlock "inscribed" cards which are Dota-esque items which don't affect the gameplay in the slightest but track special stats like how often you combo with your Power Level 9000 Dragon Kick or whatever.

I am a blight upon civilization and would like to inquire about achievements and Steam cards.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step to overcoming it. No achievements or Steam cards at this time, sorry.

:siren: EXPANSION/DLC DISCLOSURE :siren:

What you purchase when you buy Yomi on Steam is the complete game from a feature standpoint but only half the character roster. The other half of the roster is locked behind a single $15 in-app purchase. The store page says this but it's not actually listed on Steam as DLC and could be missed so this is your courtesy disclosure message.

That said there is plenty of game with just half a roster in my humble opinion. Getting good with just one character can feel like eternity much less the whole roster. I haven't bought the full roster yet and I don't think I'll feel the need to for a while. There is nothing hidden behind the purchase except more characters. No upgrades or other pay2win bullshit. They also sell packs of inscribed cards for cash but you can get these just by playing the game normally and they have absolutely zero effect on gameplay. No sane person will feel like they're missing out by not buying some. Also the unlock does not split the player base or anything as you still play against the expansion characters (including vs bots), just not as them.

More wonderful OP content including how combos work coming soon.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Character Info/Strategies:

Argagarg, Water Shaman

Style: Control
Combo Potential: Low
Momentum: Low
Special: Provokes constant throwing

Argagarg is the closest thing in Yomi to a control deck from MTG. His Hex of Murkwood (always-on character ability) automatically does two damage to the opponent on any turn in which you weren't knocked down. His Bubble Shield can raise this to four damage a turn. Essentially all old Argy has to do is stay alive and the match will eventually win itself. His low combo potential and lack of card drawing/retaining abilities means that cannot just unload on the enemy like Jaina or Setsuki. Keep the hex up, anticipate throws, pull clutch bubbles. Slow and steady win the race.

Special Abilities

Face Cards

Geiger, Precise Watchmaker (thanks The Lord of Hats)

Hey look, everyone, it's Guile! Hello, Guile! As Geiger your goal is to be a huge piece of poo poo that hangs out on the other side of the stage chucking Time Spirals at your opponent until they have an aneurysm. Then you throw out some more.

Your early game is heavy on the defensive side, focusing on building up your hand with blocks, and tossing out the occasional Time Spiral to stop a throw and get R&D online. Your normal attacks are pretty poor and don't combo all that well, but they aren't the real source of your damage, so who cares. When you've stocked up your hand and are ready to go on the offensive, you have some really fantastic options at your disposal: Flash Gear beats just about everything and knocks your opponent down, and Time Stop lets your turn any blocked Time Spirals into throws... which all knock your opponent down, because gently caress you and your blocks. Once they're down it's incredibly difficult for them to truly beat a Fast Time Spiral--they can't dodge, can't throw, a successful block will just lead into another knockdown throw, and most normals will just lose out.

Now that your opponent is at your mercy, you can drop a Temporal Distortion, turning your Time Spirals from 'really good' into 'absurd', boosting their damage and turning them all into free linkers, letting you dump your hand and blow them to pieces.

This plan tends to fall apart against someone like Rook who doesn't let you build up your hand, but hey, they can't all be good matchups.

Summary: Build up your hand, shape your draws, knock them down, Time Spiral them into next week. Patience, patience, patience.

Special Abilities:

Face Cards:

Jaina, Phoenix Archer

Quick Breakdown
Style: Aggressive
Combo Potential: High
Momentum: High
Special: Her normal attacks all do high damage against blocks (normal damage -1)

Jaina is designed to hit hard and fast. She's one step from the highest combo potential in the game (five out of a maximum of six) and her character ability allows her to buy back cards used in combos at the expense of health. As Jaina you should always be looking to hit the opponent whenever you can get away with it. Her attacks deal nearly full damage even against a block and her high combo potential allows for serious damage output.

Alternate, more words version:

inthesto posted:

Jaina is Ken Masters. Ken Masters has a history of being at least decent, if not a really good character. Unfortunately, we're not playing Street Fighter Alpha 2 or Street Fighter 3 Third Strike. We're not even playing Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo. We're playing Yomi, and there's no getting around this fact about Yomi Jaina: She. Is. Not. Good.

Now, don't get too down on her. She has all the tools she needs to win. The problem is that her mechanics make her trip over her own feet while trying to get to victory. For an "aggro" character, Jaina's 2-10 have really bad speed - X.6, tied with Grave, DeGrey, and Geiger and only outspeeding Rook. (Expansion characters ameliorate this problem a bit, as she can also outspeed Troq, Quince, BBB, and Gloria.) For a character who wants to build a hand, Jaina is short on blocks due to one of them being tied to her best ability and another tied to a card that's better off discarded. For a character with a lot of dodges, she doesn't get much mileage out of them due to not being able to trigger her innate. For a character who wants to scare the opponent into blocking, her throws are slow. For a character with big combo potential, she has a hard time landing combos due to below-average speed and can fish out aces using Unstable Power anyway. All this, and her queens still aren't 0 speed and her aces aren't good enough to make up all this lost ground.

Got all that? Good. Now let's start working on how to deal with these issues.

Unstable Power is a really good ability. I mean, really loving good. Unfortunately, Jaina's only A/T card is her 6, which is slow on both sides (come on, 8.4 speed throw with no knockdown and no ability to return pumpers, really?), but you still get to option select really hard, and you get 2 aces for winning which you will almost always do. Smoldering Embers really messes with dodge-happy characters and is great for bluffing since you want it in the discard pile anyway (except against Rook, but that matchup is pretty hosed out of your favor anyway). With an early Smoldering Embers in your discard, you can start bullying characters who want to block with the insane chip damage on her J. If you can get two or more early Ks, you better believe those things are staying the hell in your hand because 13 - 27 damage for two combo points is crazy. Jaina is in the unique position of not having to choose between using an attack card or trading it in for an A; she can throw out the attack, see how it goes, and then return it to hand to trade in for an ace. For this reason, she should be getting aces far earlier than anyone else in the game. Finally, she has an extremely easy time shaping her hand, so when she finally does land a combo (all it takes is one throw read or a good use of Unstable Power), she can fetch aces with ease.

Basically, Jaina needs to abuse the fact that she gets her good (but not great) aces faster than most characters, dodge into Red Dragon, and then use her high combo potential or Unstable Power to put them back in her hand. Between Smoldering Embers, Q/A having .2 speed and being recursive at <35 life, and J doing 5 or 7 block damage, Jaina actually has a reliable late game to finish off opponents on the verge of death. The problem is getting there in the first place, which generally requires superior match-up knowledge and reading than your opponent. And that's pretty much the hallmark of a bad character.

In summary: Play safe but not passive early, don't panic when you're running short on throws and blocks, make up lost ground with Unstable Power and early aces, shape your hand into something nice, and then control your opponent to death

Special Abilities:

Face Cards:

Full Jaina breakdown: http://www.fantasystrike.com/forums/index.php?threads/character-overview-basics.10166/#post-356611

Midori, Fraudulent Master (thanks inthesto)

Midori plays a lot like a control-combo deck, where the objective is to weather the storm until you can get a good hand to hit dragon mode and slam the opponent's face through the dirt. In other words, he's a fraudulent character for fraudulent players who can only steal wins by gambling on one giant play. For this reason, Midori owns.

In order to actually understand Midori, you need to get a full comprehension of his weaknesses and strengths outside of dragon form. Midori is short on dodges, has weak combos (and in fact, has a hard time even landing a combo to begin with), and has mediocre at best face cards while untransformed. This means a lot of characters tend not to respect him early on, when he almost certainly has poor options and can't deal much damage or gain momentum on a read. On the other hand, Midori drains his opponent's hand by blocking, has strong throws, and has good priority on his normals. Combined with his high life total, this means Midori can take a few hits on the chin, and play a few risky reads to bring down his opponent into the danger zone (or, if necessary, finish them off at near-death). Still, your objective in the early game is to not die while scrambling to get a hand that looks like this:

In case you have to ask, yes I did win that game.

Once you've blocked a bunch and stocked a bunch of face cards in hand, it's time to enter dragon mode. Once you're a dragon, everyone is scared shitless of you. Midori's ace becomes the highest damage move in the game at 52, his king is has the highest damage-to-card ratio, and his queen can beat entire movesets depending on the matchup. Okay, his jack is still so-so, but it does well as an option to beat attack/throw from the opponent if you don't believe they have any fast specials in hand. With dodge completely useless, block nullified by K/A, and most attacks nullified by J/Q, and throws nullified by all four, your opponent's options are limited to "guess like hell". And don't be afraid of loving up - you get to put a card from discard into hand if you block while in dragon mode.

In summary: Block, trade up your bad normals for aces, get a 2, and laugh to the bank with your victory.

Special Abilities:

Face Cards:

M. Persephone, Fetish Fanservice Nox Oracle (thanks The Lord of Hats)

Do you like throws, but not dedicated grapplers? Do you like getting inside your opponent's head? Do you ever wish you could just play your best cards over and over again? Can you look past a terribly cheesecake-y character design with an even worse backstory? Look no further, because Persephone is the dominatrix character you've been looking for.

At her core, Persephone is a vortex character: her goal is to get the opponent in a disadvantageous position, and then repeatedly stuffing them back into that space until they either guess right or die. In Persephone's case, this revolves around knockdowns--if you knock someone down, you get to grab back a card from your discard pile. If you knock them down while they're trying to get up, you get to grab *four* different cards, and now you have all of the options you could possibly ask for, and it just got a whole lot harder for your opponent to get up. Your throws all knock down but are otherwise pretty mundane--you aren't going to out-throw someone like Rook--but because you can keep rebuying your fast throws, you can pretty quickly cut off anyone not dedicated to throws as they just run out of throws that can compete. Your Jack and AA are attacks that also knock down, and are what really makes the vortex work.

Defensively, your dodges on 2, 3, and 4 are generally more valuable than your blocks--Persephone doesn't have big problems keeping her hand stocked up, and the dodges let her safely land your Ace: Mistress's Command. Now you're in control of their next turn, in which you burn all their draw abilities, use up their best card, figure out what their options are, and knock them down again--which lets you rebuy your Ace. Her draw abilities--a counter your opponent can pay life to avoid and the ability to control one of their draws--aren't fantastic, but they come on her slowest throws so you can use them without worrying that you're tossing anything good.

Summary: Knock their rear end to the grass and kick them while they're down. Try to always have an Ace in the discard.

Specials:

Face Cards:

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 17, 2015

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

sirlin is dumb as gently caress, this game is good tho

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Control Volume posted:

Sirlin treats his fans like poo poo because they are poo poo: they will lap up anything he puts out while asking for more. His physical games have suffered from some edition creep thanks to rebalances (or at least Puzzle Strike has, which is A Very Good Game despite that) but hopefully a digital platform will solve that.

Even though I'm not the biggest fan of Yomi personally, he makes solid psychological card games that are very much a balance between skill and mind games. Dude even designed a Magic card with a bluff mechanic that works better than any that WotC ever printed. This deserves a second look under the hood from anyone who hasn't tried a Sirlin game yet.

And for those that have, you'll know immediately whether you want it or not.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 12, 2015

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Control Volume posted:

Yeah basically, Yomi is cool as hell and if I wasn't super busy right now I'd write up effort words on Rook. Instead I grant you this, a character overview for the entire cast:

http://www.fantasystrike.com/forums/index.php?threads/character-overview-basics.10166/

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Sirlin treats his fans like poo poo because they are poo poo: they will lap up anything he puts out while asking for more.

that's a really lovely way of thinking about people imo

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
I really like Puzzle Strike(despite the insane balance issues) but never actually played this (because the physical game is kind of expensive and I already have BattleCon anyway), so I'm wondering if I should buy the steam game or not. How is the steam version different from the version on the website anyway?

Edit: gently caress it, I bought it. drat you, steam.

goldjas fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 12, 2015

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

goldjas posted:

I really like Puzzle Strike(despite the insane balance issues) but never actually played this (because the physical game is kind of expensive and I already have BattleCon anyway), so I'm wondering if I should buy the steam game or not. Can't you actually play the game on their website, or is that cost the same amount as the Steam game (haven't really looked a lot into it)?

The game on the site has a rotating free character (weekly or daily, I can't remember), but otherwise the pricing scheme is identical I believe. The Steam UI is quite solid for this sort of game and inviting people through steam is much easier than sharing room passwords and such.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Endorph posted:

that's a really lovely way of thinking about people imo

Yeah and I don't really think it's true? Like Sirlin doesn't seem particularly mean to the people who buy his products unless you think "revising them" is just taking a big ol dump on someone's lap while you laugh in their face, and not particularly mean in general just really tone deaf and blunt. But like turning this into the Sirlin Thread is stupid since there's already one of those in TG and no one cares.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

the fish is good as hell to play because everyone just gets insanely throw happy halfway through so you land normal attacks you have no business landing

e: you can also outthrow them if you know they only have slower throws. no one expects the fish throw

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Here is my comprehensive Midori guide:

Bend over backwards to hit Final Dragon Buster for 52 damage, realize that you've made a complete mess of your remaining hand, quit because your opponent still has 30 life and you have zero momentum.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

inthesto posted:

Here is my comprehensive Midori guide:

Bend over backwards to hit Final Dragon Buster for 52 damage, realize that you've made a complete mess of your remaining hand, quit because your opponent still has 30 life and you have zero momentum.

I get around this as Rook by simply playing AA the second I draw it. Same for K. So if you ever get hit with one of my K's then sorry about getting topdecked.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Coulda swore Setsuki's art wasn't this bad.
It's p bad.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax
You should probably mention that half the characters are behind a $15 paywall, one which I can't even seem to get working.

EDIT: I don't actually mind paying $25 for the whole roster, but it won't even let me even though I have money in my Steam Wallet.

GottaPayDaTrollToll fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 12, 2015

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

You should probably mention that half the characters are behind a $15 paywall, one which I can't even seem to get working.

It does say right on the store page that part of the roster is an in app purchase but I'll add a disclaimer to OP.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

I wondered about that, reading through the reviews on Steam.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Yeah that bait and switch on the DLC is pretty lovely but expected I guess of the serloin

Also I am 1-2 against monkeybot in the tutorials, which is especially embarassing because it was topdecking the entirety of the third tutorial

Dr. Snuggles
Dec 3, 2012

Tbh some of us (Pick) use this website more than others and I feel that I am unfairly subsidizing picks posting. Unless some kind of fee by post usage is enabled were basically instituting a forced welfare state of posting.
Dude I used to play the poo poo out of Kongai back when Flash websites were a thing.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I murdered Yomibot's Vendetta with Valerie without taking a hit just now though

i think i'm ready to get rekt by actual players now

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
That reminds me, is there a way to buy individual characters? Some of the expansion characters are cool, but I really just want Dhalsim Bal-Bas-Beta

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'll be hosting an open goon lobby for noobs either tomorrow or Wednesday night. I'm a scrub myself so let's all practice up a tad and get our asses whooped!

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
This game is kinda fun but it seems pretty random.

Or rather, it seems like just picking a completely random card every turn is just as much a viable strategy as trying to read what the other guy is going to do.

This match was nice though, he was left with 1hp and died to the 2 damage passive thing the fish guy has.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

i wish the leaderboards weren't dumb as hell with their rankings. yes this person obviously is very skilled at their character with 32 out of 87 games won. master 4.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

This game is kinda fun but it seems pretty random.

Or rather, it seems like just picking a completely random card every turn is just as much a viable strategy as trying to read what the other guy is going to do.
Yomi's biggest flaw, to me, is that the learning curve means two new/bad players can just play random cards at each other and it's a wash. But someone who knows how characters play is going to do things like watch discard piles to know what options are/aren't available to a character, filter their hand so that their best options are available at the right stage of the game (dodges are better late with most characters, for instance), maximize punishes and know how to bleed their opponent's best options.

Unfortunately to an untrained eye none of this is obvious, especially since even the best player is gonna get bopped in random games (like when I beat Bob199, a really good tournament player, two nights ago in a BO3 and I'm mediocre at best) or just lose combat in what seems like random ways. But having a general plan and knowing how to manage your hand are both going to make a big difference; You can't look at a game as just a bunch of random individual combats, especially since some characters - Argagarg, BBB, Setsuki - are great at winning any one combat reveal.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Countblanc posted:

Yomi's biggest flaw, to me, is that the learning curve means two new/bad players can just play random cards at each other and it's a wash. But someone who knows how characters play is going to do things like watch discard piles to know what options are/aren't available to a character, filter their hand so that their best options are available at the right stage of the game (dodges are better late with most characters, for instance), maximize punishes and know how to bleed their opponent's best options.

So in other words it's Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo.

Somewhere, David Sirlin just crossed his arms and said "Mission accomplished."

(But seriously, card games have insane amounts of variance compared to other PVP games.)

e: In case anyone wants to see the ultimate case of being an idiot paying off, this was a game I played on stream the other day and won for no good reason other than "who the hell kind of Midori stockpiles 4 dodges in hand"

http://youtu.be/Stzs9p6ODok?t=1h27m

Also, I played a game against Countblanc right before that (roughly the 1 hour mark) which I blatantly threw because I always always always go for Final Dragon Buster after a dodge regardless of whether or not my opponent is going to joker me

inthesto fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 12, 2015

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
You sure scream a lot in that vid, and also did you really not get why your unarmored throw lost to an attack

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
For some reason I thought that Talon Swoop was an attack instead of a throw, so I thought I had a super sick option select that covered every single one of your options

Also I'm bad at checking audio levels; my mic was boosted way too high the entire stream

The General
Mar 4, 2007

How do I get that goddamned (2) out of my name?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

You need to merge your steam account with your original Fantasystrike account (if you had one).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
How do you do that?

Also I just endured a set of the Gloria mirror match. I won, but man talk about a weird matchup. Yeesh.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Countblanc posted:

How do you do that?

Also I just endured a set of the Gloria mirror match. I won, but man talk about a weird matchup. Yeesh.
You need to login to your account on Fantasystrike, although I hosed up so I don't know which account you have to merge into. I had one of the admins change my name eventually.

I'm looking forward to the BBB mirror match when I main him :suicide:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

While Sirlin is a dumb butt, this game is pretty fun and I hope it does well because I like relatively straightforward card games. That being said, the interface leaves a bit to be desired. There doesn't appear to be a way to back out of cards you've played in a combo if the combo doesn't work as you expected, for instance, which is annoying if you're new or can't remember how to play the game after several years of not having touched it. Some explanation popups also don't last long enough and they could've at least tried to make it look less like the flash game it is.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Played my first proper online game with the cow against the ninja lady, who by my understanding is all about fast attacks. K'ed her to death.

Then I ran into Geiger and he pulled some bullshit and I was on my rear end half the time and he threw a million Hadoukens at the same time while I screamed at the screen.

This is a fun game.

EDIT: IGN is the same as in the forums, in case someone wants to farm easy wins.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 09:41 on May 12, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Playing BBB with dodges in your hand: "I'M AWESOME, NOTHING CAN STOP ME!"
Playing BBB without dodges in your hand: "WHAT THE gently caress DO I DO?!"

Edit: Also being at long range without a K is annoying even though you want to stay at range.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Someone add me (http://steamcommunity.com/id/jabor/) to the Steam group while I figure out which email I used to snipe my own name and get it merged.

chumbler posted:

While Sirlin is a dumb butt, this game is pretty fun and I hope it does well because I like relatively straightforward card games. That being said, the interface leaves a bit to be desired. There doesn't appear to be a way to back out of cards you've played in a combo if the combo doesn't work as you expected, for instance, which is annoying if you're new or can't remember how to play the game after several years of not having touched it. Some explanation popups also don't last long enough and they could've at least tried to make it look less like the flash game it is.

There's an Undo option in the escape menu or somewhere thereabouts (idk exactly where but it's somewhere loving dumb, that's what). No keyboard shortcut or real UI for it as far as I can tell.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Anyone interested in some playing? http://steamcommunity.com/id/tekopo/ is the id

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
Wait, this phone quality game is being sold on steam for 15 bucks with half the content cut out but you can buy it day one for another 15 bucks? Holy lol what a turd. I thought I would maybe pick this up for 2-3 bucks for my phone until I finally realized it was a steam release.

how me a frog fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 12, 2015

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

It's got a lot more strategic depth than your average mobile game. There are pages upon pages of strategy discussion on the official forums, tournaments, etc. So the value proposition depends on what you value.

Edit: it's :10bux: on the App Store, you can matchup with people on steam. But that's not cheeseburger price, no

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 12, 2015

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

fozzy fosbourne posted:

It's got a lot more strategic depth than your average mobile game. There are pages upon pages of strategy discussion on the official forums, tournaments, etc. So the value proposition depends on what you value.

I value not blatantly being gouged for money. There are also pages upon pages of strategy discussion for neopets, this is not a good indicator of depth. If this is not your run of the mill lovely phone game, what on EARTH were they thinking with the art?

"We basically want soccer spirits art, but not as good, can you handle it?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Pages upon pages of strategic discussion by fans on forums isn't necessarily an indicator of strategic depth. I like the game well enough and all, but yeah it's not a particularly good value.

For something that isn't price grousing, it seems like the painter is the best choice for idiot babies like me, since you don't really have to pay as much attention to building your hand right.

• Locked thread