Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

how me a frog posted:

I value not blatantly being gouged for money. There are also pages upon pages of strategy discussion for neopets, this is not a good indicator of depth. If this is not your run of the mill lovely phone game, what on EARTH were they thinking with the art?

"We basically want soccer spirits art, but not as good, can you handle it?"

counterpoint: yomi is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

how me a frog posted:

I value not blatantly being gouged for money. There are also pages upon pages of strategy discussion for neopets, this is not a good indicator of depth. If this is not your run of the mill lovely phone game, what on EARTH were they thinking with the art?

"We basically want soccer spirits art, but not as good, can you handle it?"

The art kind of sucks, yep. But this is more of a game for someone who wants the novelty of a fighting game implemented in a card game designed by a talented maniac. You will probably know if you are interested in something like that or not. Not for everyone. It's a niche with little else out there that compares.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

how me a frog posted:

Wait, this phone quality game is being sold on steam for 15 bucks with half the content cut out but you can buy it day one for another 15 bucks? Holy lol what a turd. I thought I would maybe pick this up for 2-3 bucks for my phone until I finally realized it was a steam release.

TIL $9 is $15

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

chumbler posted:

For something that isn't price grousing, it seems like the painter is the best choice for idiot babies like me, since you don't really have to pay as much attention to building your hand right.

Setsuki is relatively easy mode as well, between not having to worry about hand management as much from her innate and having easy combos due to pumpable Q and K

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I added the first character synopsis (Jaina) to the second post. However I'm just a scrub who discovered this game a week ago so one of you bittervets please let me know if I got it all wrong and it's garbage advice.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Link to http://www.fantasystrike.com/forums/index.php?threads/character-overview-basics.10166/ imoimo

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Achieved another fraudulent victory in Midori vs DeGray because my opponent never took a risk on my combo break bluffs and then I started doing nothing but queens and aces at the end.

Trying to understand the thought processes of others is impossible sometimes.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
kongai was loving awesome and this looks like a more advanced version of it but for some reason it just seems lame. at a quick glance all the characters are just like generic anime and the new stuff they added probably makes the game deeper but at the cost of seeming way more convoluted.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Mr. Unlucky posted:

kongai was loving awesome and this looks like a more advanced version of it but for some reason it just seems lame. at a quick glance all the characters are just like generic anime and the new stuff they added probably makes the game deeper but at the cost of seeming way more convoluted.

it's really surprisingly not, it's still pretty much rps with a couple added stats and special abilities. the character designs kind of suck except geiger's magnificent abs but the core game is really good

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

although keep in mind that i seriously suck rear end at it lol

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Mr. Unlucky posted:

Yomi's designs are pretty uninspired (it's supremely obvious who replaces whom from Street Fighter and Guilty Gear), but let's not pretend Kongai's were any good either. Also, Yomi doesn't have to deal with poo poo like Feather Anex or whatever-the-gently caress Juju.

I'll probably write some words about Midori later tonight. My most recent match does a decent job of demonstrating what the character is supposed to do other than fish for obvious supers.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I currently have a room open with pw lljk if anyone wants to play.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Just won a BBB vs Quince and maaan, that's such an unfair matchup for Quince. His fastest non-ace is a 2.6 and even his double ace only has speed 1.2, which isn't enough to avoid BBB's normals at range. Won at 70 life and never really felt threatened.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Here, have some words I wrote about Midori:

Midori, Fraudulent Master

Midori plays a lot like a control-combo deck, where the objective is to weather the storm until you can get a good hand to hit dragon mode and slam the opponent's face through the dirt. In other words, he's a fraudulent character for fraudulent players who can only steal wins by gambling on one giant play. For this reason, Midori owns.

In order to actually understand Midori, you need to get a full comprehension of his weaknesses and strengths outside of dragon form. Midori is short on dodges, has weak combos (and in fact, has a hard time even landing a combo to begin with), and has mediocre at best face cards while untransformed. This means a lot of characters tend not to respect him early on, when he almost certainly has poor options and can't deal much damage or gain momentum on a read. On the other hand, Midori drains his opponent's hand by blocking, has strong throws, and has good priority on his normals. Combined with his high life total, this means Midori can take a few hits on the chin, and play a few risky reads to bring down his opponent into the danger zone (or, if necessary, finish them off at near-death). Still, your objective in the early game is to not die while scrambling to get a hand that looks like this:

In case you have to ask, yes I did win that game.

Once you've blocked a bunch and stocked a bunch of face cards in hand, it's time to enter dragon mode. Once you're a dragon, everyone is scared shitless of you. Midori's ace becomes the highest damage move in the game at 52, his king is has the highest damage-to-card ratio, and his queen can beat entire movesets depending on the matchup. Okay, his jack is still so-so, but it does well as an option to beat attack/throw from the opponent if you don't believe they have any fast specials in hand. With dodge completely useless, block nullified by K/A, and most attacks nullified by J/Q, and throws nullified by all four, your opponent's options are limited to "guess like hell". And don't be afraid of loving up - you get to put a card from discard into hand if you block while in dragon mode.

In summary: Block, trade up your bad normals for aces, get a 2, and laugh to the bank with your victory.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

You forgot 'have all your 2s countered by counter-ability cards' :v:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

QM against DeGrey, went down to 4 HP because I didn't have a K, managed to make a few good throws, got him at range, then just pulled him for a win.

I really really like BBB but if you don't have a K in hand you are hosed. His entire long-range mixup is based on having a K in hand.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

I've played 4 matches and I've gold burst once per match and I've always hit it :smug:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

inthesto posted:

Here, have some words I wrote about Midori:

Midori, Fraudulent Master

Midori plays a lot like a control-combo deck, where the objective is to weather the storm until you can get a good hand to hit dragon mode and slam the opponent's face through the dirt. In other words, he's a fraudulent character for fraudulent players who can only steal wins by gambling on one giant play. For this reason, Midori owns.

In order to actually understand Midori, you need to get a full comprehension of his weaknesses and strengths outside of dragon form. Midori is short on dodges, has weak combos (and in fact, has a hard time even landing a combo to begin with), and has mediocre at best face cards while untransformed. This means a lot of characters tend not to respect him early on, when he almost certainly has poor options and can't deal much damage or gain momentum on a read. On the other hand, Midori drains his opponent's hand by blocking, has strong throws, and has good priority on his normals. Combined with his high life total, this means Midori can take a few hits on the chin, and play a few risky reads to bring down his opponent into the danger zone (or, if necessary, finish them off at near-death). Still, your objective in the early game is to not die while scrambling to get a hand that looks like this:

In case you have to ask, yes I did win that game.

Once you've blocked a bunch and stocked a bunch of face cards in hand, it's time to enter dragon mode. Once you're a dragon, everyone is scared shitless of you. Midori's ace becomes the highest damage move in the game at 52, his king is has the highest damage-to-card ratio, and his queen can beat entire movesets depending on the matchup. Okay, his jack is still so-so, but it does well as an option to beat attack/throw from the opponent if you don't believe they have any fast specials in hand. With dodge completely useless, block nullified by K/A, and most attacks nullified by J/Q, and throws nullified by all four, your opponent's options are limited to "guess like hell". And don't be afraid of loving up - you get to put a card from discard into hand if you block while in dragon mode.

In summary: Block, trade up your bad normals for aces, get a 2, and laugh to the bank with your victory.

Added to the 2OP with the usual data.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Geiger, Precise Watchmaker

Hey look, everyone, it's Guile! Hello, Guile! As Geiger your goal is to be a huge piece of poo poo that hangs out on the other side of the stage chucking Time Spirals at your opponent until they have an aneurysm. Then you throw out some more.

Your early game is heavy on the defensive side, focusing on building up your hand with blocks, and tossing out the occasional Time Spiral to stop a throw and get R&D online. Your normal attacks are pretty poor and don't combo all that well, but they aren't the real source of your damage, so who cares. When you've stocked up your hand and are ready to go on the offensive, you have some really fantastic options at your disposal: Flash Gear beats just about everything and knocks your opponent down, and Time Stop lets your turn any blocked Time Spirals into throws... which all knock your opponent down, because gently caress you and your blocks. Once they're down it's incredibly difficult for them to truly beat a Fast Time Spiral--they can't dodge, can't throw, a successful block will just lead into another knockdown throw, and most normals will just lose out.

Now that your opponent is at your mercy, you can drop a Temporal Distortion, turning your Time Spirals from 'really good' into 'absurd', boosting their damage and turning them all into free linkers, letting you dump your hand and blow them to pieces.

This plan tends to fall apart against someone like Rook who doesn't let you build up your hand, but hey, they can't all be good matchups.

Summary: Build up your hand, shape your draws, knock them down, Time Spiral them into next week. Patience, patience, patience.

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 13, 2015

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Decided to give Geiger a spin, and turns out he's hilarious too.

First game against that same Lum didn't go so hot, though. Seems like you have to make a decision very early whether you want to bully the opponent with time spirals for a slow advantage or if you turtle up for a combo bigger than anyone's business, and it's mostly up to the draws and matchup.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Can someone invite me to the freakin yomi group please

http://steamcommunity.com/id/theanimatrix

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

M. Persephone, Fetish Fanservice Nox Oracle

Do you like throws, but not dedicated grapplers? Do you like getting inside your opponent's head? Do you ever wish you could just play your best cards over and over again? Can you look past a terribly cheesecake-y character design with an even worse backstory? Look no further, because Persephone is the dominatrix character you've been looking for.

At her core, Persephone is a vortex character: her goal is to get the opponent in a disadvantageous position, and then repeatedly stuffing them back into that space until they either guess right or die. In Persephone's case, this revolves around knockdowns--if you knock someone down, you get to grab back a card from your discard pile. If you knock them down while they're trying to get up, you get to grab *four* different cards, and now you have all of the options you could possibly ask for, and it just got a whole lot harder for your opponent to get up. Your throws all knock down but are otherwise pretty mundane--you aren't going to out-throw someone like Rook--but because you can keep rebuying your fast throws, you can pretty quickly cut off anyone not dedicated to throws as they just run out of throws that can compete. Your Jack and AA are attacks that also knock down, and are what really makes the vortex work.

Defensively, your dodges on 2, 3, and 4 are generally more valuable than your blocks--Persephone doesn't have big problems keeping her hand stocked up, and the dodges let her safely land your Ace: Mistress's Command. Now you're in control of their next turn, in which you burn all their draw abilities, use up their best card, figure out what their options are, and knock them down again--which lets you rebuy your Ace. Her draw abilities--a counter your opponent can pay life to avoid and the ability to control one of their draws--aren't fantastic, but they come on her slowest throws so you can use them without worrying that you're tossing anything good.

Summary: Knock their rear end to the grass and kick them while they're down. Try to always have an Ace in the discard.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I am guessing that I should probably stop trying to learn characters and practice by playing against monkeybot, though it does accurately reproduce the whole "There's no way this guy is going to throw 5 times in a row" feeling of scrub tier fighting game play.

I've been sticking with the relatively simple characters like the painter and archer so far, but I kinda like the priest, evil Ryu, and samurai who does big single hits and has a sweet stache.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'd argue that Bare Your Soul is almost as useful as Mistress' Command in some matchups. I had one game as Onimaru where it completely locked me out of Final Authority, and combined with the occasional Mistress' Command it gives you total knowledge of their hand until you don't let them draw from that pile. Since none of my attacks were fast enough to beat Perse's Q and AA it was a rough time without Final Authority facecards (or even the threat of them, since my opponent knew I wasn't getting them).

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

chumbler posted:

I am guessing that I should probably stop trying to learn characters and practice by playing against monkeybot, though it does accurately reproduce the whole "There's no way this guy is going to throw 5 times in a row" feeling of scrub tier fighting game play.

I've been sticking with the relatively simple characters like the painter and archer so far, but I kinda like the priest, evil Ryu, and samurai who does big single hits and has a sweet stache.

Jaina looks pretty simple on paper (apply offense, manipulate your hand with innate, control opponent options with abilities, destroy with K and A), imo she's the hardest of the basic ten characters to play well. Her endgame damage output isn't quite good enough to justify intentionally putting yourself into kill range, and early use of her innate actually reveals a ton of information about what's in her hand. If her innate did one less damage or her Q or A were slightly better, that would go a long way.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
So, what's the best learning character then? Besides Grave, I suppose.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

There is a big post on this by Aphotix, the guy who helped playtesting the characters with sirloin. Lemme dig it up

E: http://www.fantasystrike.com/forums/index.php?threads/difficulty-levels-of-yomi-characters.9647/

Third way down page or so

In that soundcloud interview with sirloin and Aphotix sirloin I think says similar things about many of these

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 14, 2015

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Fat Samurai posted:

So, what's the best learning character then? Besides Grave, I suppose.

Argagarg and Setsuki are probably really good learning characters but for different reasons.

Argargarg is good because you really just have to defend and control tempo a bit. Your combo potential is low anyway so you just play easy and throw out the occasional attack as the opponent desperately tries to throw you, and eventually your hex wins the game. Setsuki is good because her ability (draw 5 cards if you start a turn with 0 or 1 card) means you don't have to worry about card conservation and can just go hog wild throwing everything you have at the enemy.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I started out playing Vendetta because I love doing the same move over and over again, but now I prefer Gloria because sometimes I lose all my 2s and Kings as Vendetta, but Gloria doesn't depend on combat to get her cards back (well you have to win some combats to draw cards with Overdose, but you don't have to win with any specific cards).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'd argue that Setsuki is one of the worst learning characters since all of her poo poo wins combat without you even thinking about it. It'll get you wins but it won't teach you a lot about the game unless you're paying really close attention to your opponent and know their deck intimately. I don't think she's degenerate or anything (in fact she had the lowest win rate of any character in 2014, a still-impressive 47% or something like that), play her if you want, but I think it's one of the worst ways to be comfortable with the game's systems. Zane also falls under this umbrella, and I say that as someone who mostly plays Zane.

I'd personally say Vendetta, Valerie, Grave, and Troq are all great characters that will both let you play well as a new player and teach you the game's systems.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Setsuki teaches you bad habits like 'it can be safe to attack and dump your entire hand into a combo': one of the more important lessons in yomi is knowing when to combo up (and it is safe to do so) and when not to, and I don't mean just on bluffs/jokers.

I'm progressing steadily with BBB: I think the biggest hurdle for me is understanding that BBB actually has a pretty decent up close game and there are situations when attempting to gain range will lose you the game over simply just duking it out at close range. I have to say that I thought he was gonna be gimmicky (and he is slightly), but BBB is a really well designed character who forces your opponent to really adapt to his game or suffer from it.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

I play this and it's a fun game. More goons should play it. Geiger is totally Dictator, though, because Guile doesn't have a touch of death combo.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Outside of OTK shenanigans, Geiger is clearly Guile. J and Q are sonic booms, K is flash kick, and A is sonic hurricane/somersault justice. His innate is also sonic boom tick into throw. Where the time spiral nonsense comes in is beyond me, but it wouldn't surprise me if Sirloin decided to staple on Dictator's OTK abilities on, since there definitely isn't an analogue for him in here.

Also if you play Vendetta you should follow the lead of all ST Claw Players and punch yourself in the face.

e: obviously Grave is the best learning character, but you only have to play him for a bit before figuring out who else to branch out to. If you're hoarding cards and killing in the late game, try Arg. If you're smitten with early offense, try Setsuki or Valerie. If you like to fish for true power of storms, play Midori or Rook. If you like abusing his J trap... gently caress it, keep playing Grave.

inthesto fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 14, 2015

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Zane is 110% Dictator. He's all offense all the time and his J is obviously psycho crusher.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Can somebody write some words about rushing down in this game? I'm finding that I do just fine when I'm playing a character that doesn't need to string combos together (say, Persephone, who seems to do well just tossing out a single throw or going hitconfirm into special/super), but once I'm looking at hands where I need to actually perform moves in sequence and care about the ranks of cards (for reasons other than speed) I just don't know what the gently caress.

Countblanc posted:

I'd argue that Bare Your Soul is almost as useful as Mistress' Command in some matchups. I had one game as Onimaru where it completely locked me out of Final Authority, and combined with the occasional Mistress' Command it gives you total knowledge of their hand until you don't let them draw from that pile. Since none of my attacks were fast enough to beat Perse's Q and AA it was a rough time without Final Authority facecards (or even the threat of them, since my opponent knew I wasn't getting them).

Yeah, I was definitely undervaluing it because my opponents kept immediately shuffling it away. If you're able to get going with it they're in for a miserable period of poo poo draws. If you know their hand is heavy on attacks, feeding them face cards that don't actually give them options to get out of your vortex is great.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

played a couple matches as degray, he seems pretty fun. digging how rushdown he is, someone want to spit some words at me about him? seems like his game plan's supposed to be to keep as small a hand as possible while still keeping some options around, and to power up ASAP and use your A dodge as your main defensive option instead of blocks

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The Lord of Hats posted:

Can somebody write some words about rushing down in this game? I'm finding that I do just fine when I'm playing a character that doesn't need to string combos together (say, Persephone, who seems to do well just tossing out a single throw or going hitconfirm into special/super), but once I'm looking at hands where I need to actually perform moves in sequence and care about the ranks of cards (for reasons other than speed) I just don't know what the gently caress.

play valerie

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

the other option is to not give a poo poo unless a straight happens to appear in your hand because its so much easier to just trade out cards for aces than have to worry about some dumb normal attack bullshit. keep in mind that ive been playing characters like rook and arg so i actually dont have any experience rushing down

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Consistent rushdown is only really a thing for a few characters, specifically ones that either don't care about their hand (Setsuki, Zane) or care but can keep it healthy (Gwen, Jaina). There's a few oddballs that come close; Valerie has infinite Aces but few good openers and you can ruin your entire game by going for a straight when you shouldn't have, and Vendetta can keep his hand healthy thanks to Carrion Reach and Wall Dive Loop but is just as likely to gently caress up and never get momentum and die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy

inthesto posted:

If you're smitten with early offense, try Setsuki or Valerie.

I wouldn't agree with this regarding Valerie. Her offense is generally pretty crippled early game. She doesn't have teeth until a few well times blocks build up her hand size, then she can trade normal strings for aces and ace hits back into more cards.

• Locked thread