Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

sirlin is dumb as gently caress, this game is good tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

the fish is good as hell to play because everyone just gets insanely throw happy halfway through so you land normal attacks you have no business landing

e: you can also outthrow them if you know they only have slower throws. no one expects the fish throw

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

i wish the leaderboards weren't dumb as hell with their rankings. yes this person obviously is very skilled at their character with 32 out of 87 games won. master 4.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

how me a frog posted:

I value not blatantly being gouged for money. There are also pages upon pages of strategy discussion for neopets, this is not a good indicator of depth. If this is not your run of the mill lovely phone game, what on EARTH were they thinking with the art?

"We basically want soccer spirits art, but not as good, can you handle it?"

counterpoint: yomi is good

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The Lord of Hats posted:

Can somebody write some words about rushing down in this game? I'm finding that I do just fine when I'm playing a character that doesn't need to string combos together (say, Persephone, who seems to do well just tossing out a single throw or going hitconfirm into special/super), but once I'm looking at hands where I need to actually perform moves in sequence and care about the ranks of cards (for reasons other than speed) I just don't know what the gently caress.

play valerie

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

the other option is to not give a poo poo unless a straight happens to appear in your hand because its so much easier to just trade out cards for aces than have to worry about some dumb normal attack bullshit. keep in mind that ive been playing characters like rook and arg so i actually dont have any experience rushing down

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

Emergent Gameplay story from Yomi: poster Control Volume beat the poo poo out of me with Rook and I had to make myself feel better by Hexing someone to death with Argy.

A game with a narrative!

i beat you up so hard you played a good character

the system works

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Alright I've played enough Rook matches and stomped enough people that I think I can make a writeup or something about him.

First things first, here are your important cards:

Rook is mechanically and strategically very simple. He has no dodges, he likes throwing, and his blocks are better. He doesn't do the whole combo thing that much so most of his playstyle revolves around pummeling the opponent repeatedly with single, powerful attacks, or powering through the opponent's own attacks and dealing even more damage. Rock armor is the key to winning most of your battles, and you'll want to keep a big hand through pretty much the entire game. One thing to note: don't discard or trade the 3, 5, or 10 unless you really know what you're doing and know you don't want those cards. The 3 and 5 are the closest rook gets to dodges, and the 10 is the best starter you have for rock armor combos. Same goes for the face cards, though if you need to trade out face cards, the Q is the least valuable out of all of them.

For strategy, in the early game, one of your priorities is building up a big hand in between tossing assholes to the ground, because Rook doesn't react too well to pressure when his hand size is low. He's effectively limited to blocking and throwing since his normal attacks are all horrible and he doesn't have enough cards to really make poking with J work. Getting knocked down is also huge since he's pretty vulnerable to mixups, while knocking them down in return doesn't mean poo poo if they attack on wakeup (they will always attack on wakeup). You need to be constantly aware of this as a Rook player, because good players can and will make every effort to keep you down before you even get started. Once you block and throw your way to a decently sized hand, though, Rook starts working his magic.

Once you have a good rock armor combo in your hand (10-Q, 10-J-10, and 6-7-8 are the best), you can start power through a poke with something like a 10-Q combo for 24 damage. This is also when you can start doing things like poking with J, since that beats almost all normals and a pretty sizable amount of face cards, and a J-Q combo can deal 18 damage for only three cards, which is pretty drat good all things considered. Meanwhile, due to a combination of your defense mastery and the fact that most characters need to dump out a lot more cards to get the damage you're dealing, opponents quickly run out of steam against Rook and have a hard time building back up because Rook has a million loving throws and all of them are good and you can bet that when you're not straight up smashing through whatever piddly reversal attack they have for ridiculous damage, you're tossing them on their rear end. When they're down on cards, if you and your opponent are predicting each other about 50% of the time, you will very likely win on sheer damage and HP advantage alone, so do your best to keep them in this situation if you get them in it.

Also your K is ridiculously good and isn't part of any overarching strategy so play it whenever you want 15 damage for nothing.

e: forgot to include this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IDbTNd0CJc

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 18, 2015

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Here's another writeup for Onimaru:

People will dodge and block forever, none of your hard 10-attack reads will be in your favor, and they will blunder into half the dodges you stick out there. Every match takes forever, every match is hell, every Arg match will invariably result in your long, painful death.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

im mostly bitter because every loving match takes forever as all my opponents feel the need to empty their entire deck of dodges before doing much else. sometimes they'll attack into a dodge and well it's back to three turns of blocks and dodges again.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

valeries gimmick is dumping her hand and shes kind of dumb to play, geiger is a lot better at teaching you how to sculpt a hand and also more fun in general

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

after having played only 5 games with him, vendetta is a lot more fun to play than onimaru

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

im the levitating paintbrush

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

this goon made the mistake of discarding down to a single ace in his hand

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

the setsuki lost

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

how do i remove yomi from my steam library

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

zane is the bad one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

if sade is a no show i will replace him just for the pleasure of kicking inthestos rear end like the scrub he is

e: sade can replace me after that

• Locked thread