Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Control Volume posted:

sirlin is dumb as gently caress, this game is good tho

Yeah basically, Yomi is cool as hell and if I wasn't super busy right now I'd write up effort words on Rook. Instead I grant you this, a character overview for the entire cast:

http://www.fantasystrike.com/forums/index.php?threads/character-overview-basics.10166/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

goldjas posted:

I really like Puzzle Strike(despite the insane balance issues) but never actually played this (because the physical game is kind of expensive and I already have BattleCon anyway), so I'm wondering if I should buy the steam game or not. Can't you actually play the game on their website, or is that cost the same amount as the Steam game (haven't really looked a lot into it)?

The game on the site has a rotating free character (weekly or daily, I can't remember), but otherwise the pricing scheme is identical I believe. The Steam UI is quite solid for this sort of game and inviting people through steam is much easier than sharing room passwords and such.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Endorph posted:

that's a really lovely way of thinking about people imo

Yeah and I don't really think it's true? Like Sirlin doesn't seem particularly mean to the people who buy his products unless you think "revising them" is just taking a big ol dump on someone's lap while you laugh in their face, and not particularly mean in general just really tone deaf and blunt. But like turning this into the Sirlin Thread is stupid since there's already one of those in TG and no one cares.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

inthesto posted:

Here is my comprehensive Midori guide:

Bend over backwards to hit Final Dragon Buster for 52 damage, realize that you've made a complete mess of your remaining hand, quit because your opponent still has 30 life and you have zero momentum.

I get around this as Rook by simply playing AA the second I draw it. Same for K. So if you ever get hit with one of my K's then sorry about getting topdecked.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

This game is kinda fun but it seems pretty random.

Or rather, it seems like just picking a completely random card every turn is just as much a viable strategy as trying to read what the other guy is going to do.
Yomi's biggest flaw, to me, is that the learning curve means two new/bad players can just play random cards at each other and it's a wash. But someone who knows how characters play is going to do things like watch discard piles to know what options are/aren't available to a character, filter their hand so that their best options are available at the right stage of the game (dodges are better late with most characters, for instance), maximize punishes and know how to bleed their opponent's best options.

Unfortunately to an untrained eye none of this is obvious, especially since even the best player is gonna get bopped in random games (like when I beat Bob199, a really good tournament player, two nights ago in a BO3 and I'm mediocre at best) or just lose combat in what seems like random ways. But having a general plan and knowing how to manage your hand are both going to make a big difference; You can't look at a game as just a bunch of random individual combats, especially since some characters - Argagarg, BBB, Setsuki - are great at winning any one combat reveal.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
You sure scream a lot in that vid, and also did you really not get why your unarmored throw lost to an attack

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
How do you do that?

Also I just endured a set of the Gloria mirror match. I won, but man talk about a weird matchup. Yeesh.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'd argue that Bare Your Soul is almost as useful as Mistress' Command in some matchups. I had one game as Onimaru where it completely locked me out of Final Authority, and combined with the occasional Mistress' Command it gives you total knowledge of their hand until you don't let them draw from that pile. Since none of my attacks were fast enough to beat Perse's Q and AA it was a rough time without Final Authority facecards (or even the threat of them, since my opponent knew I wasn't getting them).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'd argue that Setsuki is one of the worst learning characters since all of her poo poo wins combat without you even thinking about it. It'll get you wins but it won't teach you a lot about the game unless you're paying really close attention to your opponent and know their deck intimately. I don't think she's degenerate or anything (in fact she had the lowest win rate of any character in 2014, a still-impressive 47% or something like that), play her if you want, but I think it's one of the worst ways to be comfortable with the game's systems. Zane also falls under this umbrella, and I say that as someone who mostly plays Zane.

I'd personally say Vendetta, Valerie, Grave, and Troq are all great characters that will both let you play well as a new player and teach you the game's systems.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Consistent rushdown is only really a thing for a few characters, specifically ones that either don't care about their hand (Setsuki, Zane) or care but can keep it healthy (Gwen, Jaina). There's a few oddballs that come close; Valerie has infinite Aces but few good openers and you can ruin your entire game by going for a straight when you shouldn't have, and Vendetta can keep his hand healthy thanks to Carrion Reach and Wall Dive Loop but is just as likely to gently caress up and never get momentum and die.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The best time to 10 attack as Oni is after you knockdown, because NO ONE is stupid enough to not dodge or play a Q there.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Control Volume posted:

im the levitating paintbrush

She's dropping it, like a mic.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

I dont know posted:

From what I have heard Battlecon has a good system, but the character balance completely hosed.

They're completely different games with a single similar mechanic (simultaneous reveal) and similar coat of paint, it's not really that useful to compare them even if everyone does because people are dumb about theme. BattleCON is worth trying out though and it has a million ways to play for free like print and play or play by post or even a pretty lovely demo in VASSAL so give it a shot some time if you can. The character balance is really bad though - mostly matchup to matchup, as far as I know there's no universally oppressive characters - and it feels like the designers were more interested in characters being explosive and obviously unique.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
That's fair, I'll totally cop to my knowledge being limited to ~3-5 months of the initial Devastation release where I'm sure people hadn't figured out some nuance to different matchups.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'd play but I'm moving some time in the next two weeks. Good luck all

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Zanes cool as hell.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Sade posted:

I didn't cheat, but I did lose

inthesto 2-0 me

I hope you learned your lesson

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

inthesto posted:

If you ever stream Yomi, I'd be more than happy to guest commentate

same, though I haven't played in months. a friend of mine expressed interest in starting though so I might have an excuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Midori looks like he just smelled a tasty pie on his neighbor's windowsill.

• Locked thread