Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mapparu
Sep 22, 2013

Have you ever almost died? I know you can't die, or you wouldn't be posting here. Tell me your stories!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yes.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

in beijing i was walking down the road and a massive pane of glass fell down in front of me and went SMASH, and I looked up to two workers like 20 stories up being like "awww gently caress did we kill him?" That is the closest I have come to being cut in half, at least.

Mapparu
Sep 22, 2013

Fonzarelli posted:

in beijing i was walking down the road and a massive pane of glass fell down in front of me and went SMASH, and I looked up to two workers like 20 stories up being like "awww gently caress did we kill him?" That is the closest I have come to being cut in half, at least.

Ouch! I wish I could see those workers faces!

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
me and my 2 other friends were in a car that lost control at 80mph, went sideways into a dirt bank and rolled like 7 times. was p sure i was going to die. we ended up climbing out of the car without a scratch. early 90's saabs are tough as balls

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Near death?

I want that human being to skeet all over my face.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

One time I was making GBS threads in a portapotty after having gorged on probably like, 50 mentos or so. Apparently someone had dumped gallons of diet coke in their because when my poo touched that liquid, it was basically Hiroshima

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I almost drowned in a river in Belize, but got pulled out by a guide who was with us.

It wasn't much fun and taught me nothing

Bowlcutbarricade
Dec 27, 2014

When I was a kid I was messing around with some friends at a park and decided it would be a good idea to try and hop the six foot chain fence surrounding the place. I climbed up the fence, switched sides then dropped down to the concrete below. Suddenly my coat snagged on the hook part of the fence and basically stopped me from falling, holding me in the air, strangling me. I panicked for a few seconds before one of my friends lifted me up enough for me to get the coat off and fall down to the ground. I was a stupid kid.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Marv Albert
May 15, 2003

I've almost died a number of times.

As for near-death experiences, I had one of those as a child when I was smothered by a pillow to unconsciousness. I envisioned the stereotypical vortex tunnel to "the light," which ended up being a terrible world of black space, whose infinite and desolate volume I was forsaken to float around for the rest of eternity. The experience was shaped by a strange blend of human consciousness with endogenous tryptamine-like blissful wonder like a good-near death experience should be.

Fusilli Jerry
Dec 13, 2013

ASSMAN
i was stupid as gently caress & drank 3 fourlokos and then proceeded to do lines of ketamine and mxe

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

when I was a kid we had a big trampoline and a volleyball net in our backyard. one day I was bored and I dragged the trampoline under the volleyball net to see if I could do a flip over it. I did a few test jumps and then did a backflip over the net, over the edge of the trampoline, and plowed into the ground like a special olympics pole vaulter. hosed up my shoulder, knocked the wind out of me, and rung my bell pretty good. It was only till I was much older that I realized how close I came to breaking my neck.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Fusilli Jerry posted:

i was stupid as gently caress & drank 3 fourlokos and then proceeded to do lines of ketamine and mxe

lol

RadioactiveKid
Aug 12, 2005

Gato Rebelde
I went out for Chinese food, and woke up a week later in a hospital with a broken neck . Apparently I drove into a tree trying to avoid a truck towing a trailer on to my lane, that's as close to death as Ive ever been

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

A couple times, the most severe of which involved being helicoptered to the nearest trauma hospital. The doctors there told my family they "should make arrangements."

They didn't know me very well - within 24 hours I was mobile and being a terrible patient, basically tripping balls from a head injury, hopped up on morphine and repeatedly pulling out my IVs because I wanted to go out for a smoke. I don't remember much of that first week, and have some awesome false memories from it, too.

ghost host
Apr 17, 2010

ain't got no cash
ain't go no style
no, I've been pretty lucky I guess.

tried to kill myself though tehehe.

RadioactiveKid
Aug 12, 2005

Gato Rebelde
try again , it cant be that hard

ghost host
Apr 17, 2010

ain't got no cash
ain't go no style

CaptainSarcastic posted:

A couple times, the most severe of which involved being helicoptered to the nearest trauma hospital. The doctors there told my family they "should make arrangements."

They didn't know me very well - within 24 hours I was mobile and being a terrible patient, basically tripping balls from a head injury, hopped up on morphine and repeatedly pulling out my IVs because I wanted to go out for a smoke. I don't remember much of that first week, and have some awesome false memories from it, too.

ok but what happened?

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i choked on a grape

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.
I fell off a building but Spider-Man saved me

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

diabeetz posted:

ok but what happened?

Did I see a tunnel of light or something, you mean?

Nah, just about a 14 hour gap in my memory - I don't remember the injury actually occurring, the helicopter flight, or anything. It's all just a blank. Basically I remember the afternoon in question right up to going to the bar with my girlfriend, and the next thing I know I am waking up under fluorescent lights, intubated and catheterized. First thing I did upon regaining consciousness was to get those removed immediately, in that order.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
no what caused the unjury idiot

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Yes.

Mr.Smiley4
Jul 4, 2007
Send him to Detroit!
There was one time I was stuck behind a really long farm trailer with animals on a straight 2 lane road. It was going ~10 miles below the speed limit on a 55 road, and cars kept coming in the opposite direction with enough frequency to keep me from passing it. I was young and annoyed, so after a while I just said gently caress it, put the gas peddle to the floor, and switched lanes to pass it despite another car coming. I thought it was pretty far away, but it kept getting closer and closer as I kept my foot on the floor the whole time. I'm not sure if the trailer or the oncoming car slowed down, but I managed to pass the trailer with about a half-second to spare before I would've hit other guy head on.

I spent the rest of the ride home shaking.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
I'm dead and a ghost.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
one time i took a bunch of xanax and had a half dozen vodka on the rocks and woke up in a dorm choking on my own puke

no real way to measure if i was close to death so its a bad story and i only learned a thing that i already knew about xanax being dangerous

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fusilli Jerry posted:

Were you trying to get the worst high possible? God drat.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Enfield posted:

no what caused the unjury idiot

Alcohol, mostly.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

soy posted:

Were you trying to get the worst high possible? God drat.

He was just trying to get properly "Loked Out"

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attacked by an elephant in open top Land Cruiser in South Africa.

What they say is true, strangely peaceful and in slow motion.

I have a picture that my brother's friend took right before we realized it might kill hanging in my bathroom.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 12, 2015

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
I ate a poisonous houseplant as a toddler and apparently I almost died. My mom hates telling the story but apparently my heart stopped.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Every time I drive there are cars coming in the opposite direction that pass pretty close to me. If they hit me I'd probably die. Does this count? If so, yes, lots of times.

e: also I got salmonella as a baby and Mum took me to the hospital but the doctors just assumed my Mum was being a whiny bitch so sent me home and I almost died.

Fusilli Jerry
Dec 13, 2013

ASSMAN

Matey posted:

He was just trying to get properly "Loked Out"

yea I don't really remember much of my life from 2011-12, and what I can recall is just blurry

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

PyPy posted:

I ate a poisonous houseplant as a toddler and apparently I almost died. My mom hates telling the story but apparently my heart stopped.

im the mom who wanted her baby boy to share an environment with her poisonous plant collection

from the story

Fusilli Jerry
Dec 13, 2013

ASSMAN

Three Olives posted:

Attacked by an elephant in open top Land Cruiser by an elephant in South Africa.

What they say is true, strangely peaceful and in slow motion.

I have a picture that my brother's friend took right before we realized it might kill hanging in my bathroom.

pics or it didnt happen

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
I'm dead and a ghost.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot

PyPy posted:

You did die. This is hell.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Car accident

The thing overseas

Gun

Scary drunk gay dude in miami with knife

Car accident

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013
No, because I'm careful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
OD'd on uppers and was awake for a few days, poo poo was pretty hosed up and terrifying. Don't do drugs fellow Goons, drugs are bad.

• Locked thread