Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

when did Sonic turn so emo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OlmanRiver
Mar 30, 2011

ProfessorBooty posted:

I still remember my ICQ number from 1998.

And hey! I still have my account, someone on this thread is a liar. I had them send me my new password to my very first personal email I made with yahoo.com, which I somehow remember the password for. I can totally get on ICQ and chat with my friends now!

Oops, I thought it was ICQ as well as AIM, sorry for being wrong, turns out it was hotmail.

I was still half right.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

quote:

Next, Shingy stopped by the office of Erika Nardini, the chief marketing officer of AOL Advertising, and handed her an iPad Mini. “Wanted to show you a little brain fart I had on the plane,” he said. It was a cartoon he had drawn of a bear wearing zebra-print pants and a shirt covered in ones and zeros.

“Love it, love it, love it,” Nardini said. “I’m thinking of the bears more as a metaphor.”

“A thousand per cent,” Shingy said.

“Shingy is my muse,” Nardini said.

He gets paid six figures for this.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 12, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Three Olives posted:

He get's paid six figures for this.

He seems to be a genius who has combined cold reading, doodling, and technobabble to make $$$.

A veritable goon hero.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

bloodysabbath posted:

Would be bad enough, but they paid two. Two billion. I know "the kids" love Minecraft, but how the good goddamn hell they recoup that, I have no idea.

Edit: Wikipedia says 2.5bn. Jesus.

i think minecraft makes a lot off of merchandising. 2.5 bil still seems like a lot tho

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Three Olives posted:

Twitter makes lots and lots of money, over $2 billion dollars a year. It's just that they are burning through it like a drunk prostitute. I'm not really quite sure how the manage to piss away so much money though, it's not like they have a super complicated operation.

they make 1.5 billion dollars last year but somehow ended with a loss of 500,000 lol, probably investing in retarded poo poo and booking poo poo so they dont have to pay taxes

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Scalding Coffee posted:

I remember when Net Neutrality was all about keeping government from doing the same thing.

never, you mean

you're dumb

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Three Olives posted:

Twitter makes lots and lots of money, over $2 billion dollars a year. It's just that they are burning through it like a drunk prostitute. I'm not really quite sure how the manage to piss away so much money though, it's not like they have a super complicated operation.

have you been in their office? their perks are top-notch. they also pay entry-level employees $125K salary, so I can only imagine what more senior people there make

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Fetus Tree posted:

AOL owns a lot of stuff and does more than just dialup you loving retards

yeah this AOL's advertising brings in triple the revenue that their subscriptions do

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Roargasm posted:

yeah this AOL's advertising brings in triple the revenue that their subscriptions do

Cool, so with that VZ's investment should pay off in.... 932 years

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Three Olives posted:

Kevin Spacey talks for ten minutes while Shingy looks like a thrown out muppet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SUNNZ6avig

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

bloodysabbath posted:

Would be bad enough, but they paid two. Two billion. I know "the kids" love Minecraft, but how the good goddamn hell they recoup that, I have no idea.

Edit: Wikipedia says 2.5bn. Jesus.

Good way to burn up "stuck" overseas cash!

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmpDSBAh6RY

Zassiliss posted:

Uh it's AMERICA online idiot

I thought it was AMERICAN INLINE.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Pauline Kael posted:

OK obvious financial wizard Fetus Tree, please share with the thread the double top secret properties that AOL owns that make it worth $4.4b. Hell, I'll make it easy on you, come up with $2b of plausible value and we'll call it a win for you

well it generates $600m/annually in ad revenue alone

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fetus Tree posted:

well it generates $600m/annually in ad revenue alone

revenue != profits though

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Moridin920 posted:

revenue != profits though

1) 4.4 billion is chump change to verizon. AT&T is about to drop almost 50 billion to buy direct tv.
2) The plan is two fold A) content distribution via mobile device and B) mobile ad sales

just because you guys view AOL is your grandmothers internet service doesn't mean you're right. i'm not going to post all the reasons this could work out for verizon, go read the wall street journal yourselves or some poo poo.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fetus Tree posted:

1) 4.4 billion is chump change to verizon. AT&T is about to drop almost 50 billion to buy direct tv.
2) The plan is two fold A) content distribution via mobile device and B) mobile ad sales

just because you guys view AOL is your grandmothers internet service doesn't mean you're right. i'm not going to post all the reasons this could work out for verizon, go read the wall street journal yourselves or some poo poo.

Eh I'm not actually railing against it at all in terms of a business decision (I just said I think Twitter is probably not worth what it is valued at currently) - just that there's a tech bubble going on right now for sure.

I kind of don't like how everything is just merging though and the SEC is apparently nonexistent except for the occasional ridiculously huge merger. Most of these telecomms companies already have monopolies in their respective areas (especially the ISPs and cable companies); I feel like they could use some breaking up.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 12, 2015

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Moridin920 posted:

Eh I'm not actually railing against it at all in terms of a business decision (I just said I think Twitter is probably not worth what it is valued at currently) - just that there's a tech bubble going on right now for sure.

yes to an extent but right now mobile advertising is a 70bil/year industry and that number is not likely to go down for a long, long time, and really twitter/fb/all that poo poo is valued at its ability to shove advertisements in your face

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

ProfessorBooty posted:

I still remember my ICQ number from 1998.

And hey! I still have my account, someone on this thread is a liar. I had them send me my new password to my very first personal email I made with yahoo.com, which I somehow remember the password for. I can totally get on ICQ and chat with my friends now!

they're all dead :(

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Three Olives posted:

You missed the most lol quote from that article

quote:

Among Shingy’s achievements is the coining of the phrase HoMo

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Fetus Tree posted:

wsj is filled with retards why would i read their stupid bullshit

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

fetus tree get out

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
In all seriousness this probably isn't a completely dumb thing, the carriers and broadband networks are desperately trying not to be "dumb pipes" and to do that they need content now that it looks like some form of net neutrality is here to stay. AOL produces a shitload of original content including video regardless of if you value it or not.

If I had to guess in a year or two you will see Verizon deploying multicast LTE with a sizable on device cache on your phone and shoving AOL produced content down your throat. I'm sorry, "adding value" to what would otherwise be a commodity product.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I was genuinely baffled by this news and thought that AOL had disappeared a while ago. I can't be the only one.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Three Olives posted:

If I had to guess in a year or two you will see Verizon deploying multicast LTE with a sizable on device cache on your phone and shoving AOL produced content down your throat. I'm sorry, "adding value" to what would otherwise be a commodity product.

that is literally the plan yes

also lol @ people getting mad because im not stupid enough to think i know better than the people at verizon

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

has anybody said this was a good thing because your dumb and beyond human being

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

When does Netscape get scooped up? Compuserve?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Crazy Ted posted:

When does Netscape get scooped up? Compuserve?

aol bought netscape years ago

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Nonsense posted:

has anybody said this was a good thing because your dumb and beyond human being

its a good thing for verizon

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Fetus Tree posted:

its a good thing for verizon

no it is not good for verizon to buy a company at the center of one of the worst mergers in the history of human commerce.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

not even the east india company was worst

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Nonsense posted:

no it is not good for verizon to buy a company at the center of one of the worst mergers in the history of human commerce.

you talking about aol/TW?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Fetus Tree posted:

you talking about aol/TW?

no doobies dogs and robert space industries

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Nonsense posted:

no doobies dogs and robert space industries

that isnt going to happen again and this is going to be, at worst, a mediocre investment for VZ.

sorry youre strangely autistically angry about this purchase

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Fetus Tree posted:

that isnt going to happen again and this is going to be, at worst, a mediocre investment for VZ.

sorry youre strangely autistically angry about this purchase

USTISM AUTSISTIC AUSTISTS

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Pauline Kael posted:

OK obvious financial wizard Fetus Tree, please share with the thread the double top secret properties that AOL owns that make it worth $4.4b. Hell, I'll make it easy on you, come up with $2b of plausible value and we'll call it a win for you

lol are you loving serious

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

i'm glad you posted this because i'm totally fascinated by this house.

i mean it's a really good location but all the furniture in the (mockup?) interior looks like it could have been modeled in minecraft.

i wonder if notch tore it all out and tried to make the interior as non-euclidean as possible

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

"hurf durf aol just owns dialup for dead grandma right??" -literally goons who are dumb

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nagato posted:

i'm glad you posted this because i'm totally fascinated by this house.

i mean it's a really good location but all the furniture in the (mockup?) interior looks like it could have been modeled in minecraft.

i wonder if notch tore it all out and tried to make the interior as non-euclidean as possible

i only like that he outbid jayz and beyonce and put all the poo poo they sent ahead to move into the house outside and left it there, because they assumed it was theirs already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

TEAYCHES posted:

"hurf durf aol just owns dialup for dead grandma right??" -literally goons who are dumb

thats their single largest source of income though, the "pivot" to web content is a smokescreen

Nonsense posted:

i only like that he outbid jayz and beyonce and put all the poo poo they sent ahead to move into the house outside and left it there, because they assumed it was theirs already
hahaha that owns

• Locked thread