Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Connoisseur
Oct 2, 2010

"Every minute we waste could be the difference between a soldier goin' home alive or goin' home in a bag."

Broken Cog posted:

First legitimately impossible level I've run into.
Those laser beams are lethal, so you can't path through them, and the opening in the wall on the bottom left of the room is blocked by a console. The two rooms to the left are just the starting room and a connected one. No other rooms connected to them.

Seems the level generator isn't flawless, even if it is drat good.

One way to get out of that laser situation is to bait out the guard (by running or getting into his vision) and then KO him. You can then drag his unconscious body into the lasers which causes them to deactivate. But yeah that kind of work-around shouldn't be needed and the level generation could be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abardam
Mar 1, 2015
I think that laser walls deactivate for 1 turn if they trigger, so you could eat it with one agent and then medgel them after.

quote:

But yeah that kind of work-around shouldn't be needed and the level generation could be better.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

abardam posted:

I think that laser walls deactivate for 1 turn if they trigger, so you could eat it with one agent and then medgel them after.
I tried, you literally cannot path through it. It acts like a solid wall as long as it's up.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Broken Cog posted:

First legitimately impossible level I've run into.
Those laser beams are lethal, so you can't path through them, and the opening in the wall on the bottom left of the room is blocked by a console. The two rooms to the left are just the starting room and a connected one. No other rooms connected to them.

Seems the level generator isn't flawless, even if it is drat good.
Ouch. The closest thing to unbeatable that I've seen so far was an unavoidable guard just outside the starting room, followed by two patrols in a corridor with very little cover. Kind of hard to explain, but basically it was two agents without ranged weapons against three guards, of which two would need to be lured over at once. Which, well, I hosed it up, but it was probably still doable in some way.

Also, this game loves Internationale at least as much as I do and keeps handing me this:

abardam
Mar 1, 2015

Broken Cog posted:

I tried, you literally cannot path through it. It acts like a solid wall as long as it's up.
Foiled by the instinct of self-preservation :argh:

EDIT: In the podcast, they talk about how the non-mission critical stuff is integral to the game, because they force the player to make a risk-reward decision. I guess that's why these corps keep their money in safes scattered around the level instead of like, Switzerland or something.

abardam fucked around with this message at 13:26 on May 14, 2015

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
It's nice to see I'm not the only one who loves internationale. I think the most ridiculous combo I have gotten in terms of augments/abilities is in my first Beginner run where I augmented Nika with predictive brawling. Either that or Banks with Chameleon Movement and his cloak. So much AP, so little time...

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

This could have gone really wrong really fast, but when the game gives you a turret placed like that, you just gotta go for it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

Voice acting would go a long way to give the characters some life. Just basic chatter and a one liner for various actions would be fine. As it is they're just a portrait and a cybernetic passive.

You mean like XCOM: Enemy Within chatter? Yeah, that would do it.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I'm running through the game casually if you want to watch.

EDIT: OBS hates me.

Shadow225 fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 14, 2015

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Shadow225 posted:

I'm running through the game casually if you want to watch.

http://www.twitch.tv/bigboswell

Maybe it's just me but all I'm seeing is the title screen with the continue/delete save/cancel menu.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Stokes posted:

Maybe it's just me but all I'm seeing is the title screen with the continue/delete save/cancel menu.

OBS will lock on a screen, and I'm not sure what the issue is. Oh well, worth a try. Thanks for swinging by.

stiknork
Aug 3, 2006

hey me and another designer (also my boss) are gonna play a super hard mode and die a lot and give out game keys if you guys wanna check it out http://www.twitch.tv/kleientertainment

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I really like archive decker - that AP on spot lets him pop into notice range of guards to distract and then get out, which is really important for conserving resources and not having a bunch of unconscious guards you have to babysit. He's probably my favorite.
On the other side is Prism, who is incredibly boring. She gets some power when you hack things, but that's it. At least the other "power on X" abilities like archive xu have more interesting repercussions for your build. Reading her fluff, she seems like she had some disguise thing or a holo motif going on, but I guess they scrapped it for her current cybernetic?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Well, I can see how a disguise ability would be very hard to balance, at least, so that wouldn't surprise me.

I think my personal favorite is always going to be Internationale. Not only can she save a pretty solid amount of AP per turn by remotely grabbing power, uncovering cameras and stuff early has just been a huge help a lot of the time.

stiknork posted:

hey me and another designer (also my boss) are gonna play a super hard mode and die a lot and give out game keys if you guys wanna check it out http://www.twitch.tv/kleientertainment
Watched this for a bit before I had to force myself to do something like work, was pretty cool.

Did the P ever get fixed?

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Wizard Styles posted:

Well, I can see how a disguise ability would be very hard to balance, at least, so that wouldn't surprise me.

Yeah, even if they did it like Monaco with limited number of exposures before it expired I'm having a hard time seeing it make sense in game or be even remotely balanced. She should at least start with some holo cover or something though.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
It's a bit silly that you have to pay cleanup costs for dead drones.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...
I'm stuck on the tutorial. Like on the third door where you hack power from the console. There is just a door it won't let me go through because enemies are watching. Wtf do I do?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

DrWrestling69 posted:

I'm stuck on the tutorial. Like on the third door where you hack power from the console. There is just a door it won't let me go through because enemies are watching. Wtf do I do?

I got stuck on this for a bit, too, don't feel bad-
You can move along diagonals in order to get into one of the squares that's behind cover. In the guard's vision cones, the red areas are where he can see, and the yellow areas are behind stuff. You have to move directly into a yellow area from outside the cone, which you can do by moving diagonally.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

deadly_pudding posted:

I got stuck on this for a bit, too, don't feel bad-
You can move along diagonals in order to get into one of the squares that's behind cover. In the guard's vision cones, the red areas are where he can see, and the yellow areas are behind stuff. You have to move directly into a yellow area from outside the cone, which you can do by moving diagonally.

It was before this. The camera wasn't showing up for some reason but then it did and in hacked it. FML.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Endless mode seems easier when you are down to one agent. My last two games have seen me reduced to one by early the second day, and they then go on to survive until after the fifth.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

alarumklok posted:

Yeah, even if they did it like Monaco with limited number of exposures before it expired I'm having a hard time seeing it make sense in game or be even remotely balanced. She should at least start with some holo cover or something though.
It would have been nice to have an agent that specializes in getting past guards beyond Decker starting with a cloaking item. Maybe a way to mess with guard patrol patterns or levels of alertness in some way.
Not saying that's what Prism should have been, but it's something that the agent roster doesn't really cover, unless you count assault and cold-blooded murder.

Also:

All 4 guards in the big room are on simple patrols that will lead them back into it the turn after they leave it. They also patrol in pairs.

Not pictured: Dr. Xu's lack of any kind of weapon, Incognita not having Wisp, the second guard patrolling the level exit, me abandoning all hope.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 15, 2015

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

Having passed easy mode, I'd love to get anyone's tips and tricks on playing through experienced. What types of missions do you prioritize? How to min-max skills? Equipment must-buys and never-buys?

abardam
Mar 1, 2015

bisonbison posted:

Having passed easy mode, I'd love to get anyone's tips and tricks on playing through experienced. What types of missions do you prioritize? How to min-max skills? Equipment must-buys and never-buys?
Detention centers early, if at all. It takes time to get an agent up to speed. Save ~1000 before going to a server farm, ~1500 before attempting a nanofab. Get someone to anarchy 2 quickly, it's nice to steal from guards without having to knock em out. Always hack camera drones, it's two turns of free exploration! Think twice before opening a door on 1 AP, even if you want to peek around the room. I have never been able to find a use for a lock decoder.

One cool place to hide in a room without cover is right next to a guard. Guards close their eyes when they turn around for some reason. This will not help you, however, when another guard appears through the door you didn't check and sees you standing beside his buddy.

abardam fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 16, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

bisonbison posted:

On higher difficulties you should try to avoid having to knock out guards until it's absolutely necessary. Get someone with some skill points in anarchy so you can clean their pockets without alerting them.

For missions, it's all depending on what I have and what I need. Early on I prefer trying to go for a detention center to get a third agent, followed by either a financial suite or a Cybernetics lab, depending on what's available. Remember, however, that both vaults and labs can have vault doors, so it's usually best to have a vault card available before starting either. The chance of there being a vault at a lab doesn't seem to be 100%, but if you can get one, that's 2 more free cybernetics. Also check nano-fabs for an extra melee weapon if you know you're going to be picking up an extra agent, or some extra cybernetics if you have the spare room/cash for it.

I like to save the equipment missions until I have some cash and an extra agent or two.

Edit: Also, during a financial suite mission, ALWAYS steal from the executive with your highest Anarchy skill agent before knocking him out. With 4+ Anarchy you can often get 1k+ credits from it.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 16, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Got this and did the first mission on Beginner. Used three rewinds to get through it. I'm bad at strategy :saddowns:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Wizard Styles posted:

It would have been nice to have an agent that specializes in getting past guards beyond Decker starting with a cloaking item. Maybe a way to mess with guard patrol patterns or levels of alertness in some way.
Not saying that's what Prism should have been, but it's something that the agent roster doesn't really cover, unless you count assault and cold-blooded murder.

Also:

All 4 guards in the big room are on simple patrols that will lead them back into it the turn after they leave it. They also patrol in pairs.

Not pictured: Dr. Xu's lack of any kind of weapon, Incognita not having Wisp, the second guard patrolling the level exit, me abandoning all hope.

Distract one pair and quite probably mug it, run through and or distract the other pair. Alternatively, sit on the first pair until your tasers recharge.

It would take a distressing amount of time, but in itself is solvable.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Beat Expert with the most ridiculous ending. My Expert team was Xu (who is completely broken, btw) and Banks. Banks actually got ko'd early on, and I had to run like 3 missions with just Xu. Ended the game with Xu and Shalem, who didn't have a weapon, and things got a little hairy while I was trying to get Monst3r from the security station to the mainframe. Did I mention Xu is completely broken?

I expect a lot of failure. Running with Internationale and Banks on Ironman Expert Plus right now if anyone wants to watch: http://www.hitbox.tv/TastyLemonDrops

abardam
Mar 1, 2015
Oh god, that door slam

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Do I need lethal weapons? I'm doing pretty okay with non lethal so far, but I'm worried....

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Fangz posted:

Do I need lethal weapons? I'm doing pretty okay with non lethal so far, but I'm worried....

Lethal weapons are more of a safety net. There are non-lethal ranged options, but they often lack piercing, and it's definitely worth taking the alarm hit if an agent has a gun pointed at them.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

I was really hoping the end of the game was really an opening for a bigger chapter 2. Oh well, it's short enough to warrant a couple more playthroughs for new characters and stuff.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Beat Expert with the most ridiculous ending. My Expert team was Xu (who is completely broken, btw) and Banks. Banks actually got ko'd early on, and I had to run like 3 missions with just Xu. Ended the game with Xu and Shalem, who didn't have a weapon, and things got a little hairy while I was trying to get Monst3r from the security station to the mainframe. Did I mention Xu is completely broken?

Why do you like Xu so much?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
He can literally punch a robot to death.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Thanks for watching. I learned a couple new things, and remembered a few others, like Expert Plus turning off the ability to melee enemies who have vision of you. While Shalem is of questionable use below Expert Plus, he is very clearly a good character once you get up there. Starting with a 2 shot weapon (with 2 penetration) allows you to get out of sticky situations where you're in a face off with guards and can't melee because it's turned off in Expert Plus. A few of the Archive characters are actually a lot more useful in Expert Plus as well. Decker starts with a 6 shot revolver and a better starting augment at the cost of losing cloak. Shalem starts with a 3 shot pistol and a better disruptor at the cost of armor penetration. Banks starts with a 2 shot gun, but her On File variant is probably better.

Going to keep streaming some more Endless Plus before I head to bed: http://www.hitbox.tv/TastyLemonDrops

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Why do you like Xu so much?

His Subdermal Tools lets him loot corporate safes, executive terminals, and vault safes for free (and bypasses daemons). That part doesn't work with shops/cybernetic augmenters, but that'd just be dumb. Subdermal Tools also can disable drones and other various things of use, allowing you to save up power for more pressing matters. He also starts with a Modded Shock Trap that KO's guards for an additional turn more than the default Neural Disruptors (which Xu also starts with). You can set up traps to safeguard your rear, or keep one particular guard completely out of the picture by setting a trap next to a door after he's been KO'd. He will wake up and probably open that door, knocking him out again without you even being nearby. It also completely ignores armor, which is a godsend when you're up against Armor 4+ guards. Finally, Xu is the only character other than Nika who can by default KO two guards in a turn, and he uses cooldowns instead of power.

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 16, 2015

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
Found my new favorite combo of agents/incognita abilities. Seed+Prism+ OF Internationale is hilarious and means I have near full power all the time.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Just chiming in because I don't think enough people have said Internationale owns yet (this game also owns).

Batch
Jul 13, 2007

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Thanks for watching. I learned a couple new things, and remembered a few others, like Expert Plus turning off the ability to melee enemies who have vision of you. While Shalem is of questionable use below Expert Plus, he is very clearly a good character once you get up there. Starting with a 2 shot weapon (with 2 penetration) allows you to get out of sticky situations where you're in a face off with guards and can't melee because it's turned off in Expert Plus. A few of the Archive characters are actually a lot more useful in Expert Plus as well. Decker starts with a 6 shot revolver and a better starting augment at the cost of losing cloak. Shalem starts with a 3 shot pistol and a better disruptor at the cost of armor penetration. Banks starts with a 2 shot gun, but her On File variant is probably better.

I was watching your stream, and it took me a second to figure out what was going on with the executive and not being able to melee him. Expert plus is pretty crazy.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

His Subdermal Tools lets him loot corporate safes, executive terminals, and vault safes for free (and bypasses daemons). That part doesn't work with shops/cybernetic augmenters, but that'd just be dumb. Subdermal Tools also can disable drones and other various things of use, allowing you to save up power for more pressing matters. He also starts with a Modded Shock Trap that KO's guards for an additional turn more than the default Neural Disruptors (which Xu also starts with). You can set up traps to safeguard your rear, or keep one particular guard completely out of the picture by setting a trap next to a door after he's been KO'd. He will wake up and probably open that door, knocking him out again without you even being nearby. It also completely ignores armor, which is a godsend when you're up against Armor 4+ guards. Finally, Xu is the only character other than Nika who can by default KO two guards in a turn, and he uses cooldowns instead of power.

Xu is pretty great once you realize what he is good at. I was used to Decker and Internationale, so I didn't really "get" Xu at first. The last mission I played, I scouted out a bunch of daemon'ed safes and etc., so I sent him that direction, then had my other agents take the other route. He gathered at least 1000 credits without having to use power, programs, or triggering daemons. His -1 AP penalty is worth it for what he can do.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Finished a beginner campaign, immediately got crushed on experienced and then managed to complete it next time. Nika loaded with augments that give her more AP gets ridiculous. At times, she would have like 25 AP and just zip around the level stunning everyone. I also had Internationale (I agree, thread, she's great) and Banks (The opening doors power is nice but not overwhelming) for most of that campaign. Picked up Shallem near the end but didn't have a weapon for him, so he spent the final mission sitting on guards.

Both times the final mission has descended into complete slapstick with most of my team desperately dragging unconscious guards around and someone having to keep running out to distract awake guards from coming closer because monster was the only one with a strong enough amour piercing weapon and he was hacking. It was tense but also ridiculous.

This game is pretty cool. Now for expert difficulty.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Yeah, my first attempt at experienced was kind of disastrous as well. Relearning how to play with un-upgraded agents while adapting to the higher difficulty was pretty rough, I was overreaching all the time.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Distract one pair and quite probably mug it, run through and or distract the other pair. Alternatively, sit on the first pair until your tasers recharge.

It would take a distressing amount of time, but in itself is solvable.
That's more or less what I ended up doing just to reach the exit after wasting a Rewind trying to actually get past and do the mission. Xu was MVP, top-tier guard babysitter.
I really wanted those augment slots, but that was not going to happen there, or at least only with a lot of luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneAmigo
Jan 3, 2013
Just finished the game first time around - loved it, but I was left wanting more from the ending. Godlike AI becomes evil? Didn't see *that* one coming... The build-up didn't quite pay off.

And Internationale is definitely the best. Hack everything every time.

• Locked thread