Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

TheLoneAmigo posted:

Just finished the game first time around - loved it, but I was left wanting more from the ending. Godlike AI becomes evil? Didn't see *that* one coming... The build-up didn't quite pay off.

And Internationale is definitely the best. Hack everything every time.

Yeah, I don't really see myself voluntarily living without Internationale. Being able to generate insane amounts of Power without having to sidle up to all the consoles is pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

deadly_pudding posted:

Yeah, I don't really see myself voluntarily living without Internationale. Being able to generate insane amounts of Power without having to sidle up to all the consoles is pretty great.

You won't miss her as much as you think you will. She is sort of a crutch and will definitely make you lazy when it comes to checking for cameras and planning out paths to hit the consoles. There are lots of other good combos that are worth giving up easy hacking for.

Edit:
This current Endless run is brutal. I got Sharp and Archive Xu, with Fusion and Brimstone as my starter programs (random start) With no EMP punch, an overly expensive hacking program, and some bad luck on console offerings, I am on day 4 with still nothing but brimstone to do all my hacking. 3 power for one firewall when everything starts with 2 or 3 means that I cannot open much of anything but the bare minimum of safes unless I want to use Xu's emp bomb, and that has an 8 turn cool down.

I was up to 4 agents after I added Nika and Banks, but I just lost Sharp on a mission to grab an info list when I got swarmed by half a dozen guards. I was so certain that Xu was a goner I evaced Nika and Banks before Xu was even out of the executive terminal room (I had to bail without the list because I just couldn't get enough power together to knock down the 5 firewalls it had by the time I got to it. Xu made it out against all odds, but I couldn't snag Sharp or his gear on the way out, so there went a much needed disrupter, and the three augs I had stuck on him.

Now Day 5 is hours away, I have no money, I'm down my most upgraded agent, I still have poo poo programs, and I have a single AP disrupter. Things are looking great.

Underwhelmed fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 16, 2015

abardam
Mar 1, 2015

Underwhelmed posted:

You won't miss her as much as you think you will. She is sort of a crutch and will definitely make you lazy when it comes to checking for cameras and planning out paths to hit the consoles. There are lots of other good combos that are worth giving up easy hacking for.

Edit:
This current Endless run is brutal. I got Sharp and Archive Xu, with Fusion and Brimstone as my starter programs (random start) With no EMP punch, an overly expensive hacking program, and some bad luck on console offerings, I am on day 4 with still nothing but brimstone to do all my hacking. 3 power for one firewall when everything starts with 2 or 3 means that I cannot open much of anything but the bare minimum of safes unless I want to use Xu's emp bomb, and that has an 8 turn cool down.

I was up to 4 agents after I added Nika and Banks, but I just lost Sharp on a mission to grab an info list when I got swarmed by half a dozen guards. I was so certain that Xu was a goner I evaced Nika and Banks before Xu was even out of the executive terminal room (I had to bail without the list because I just couldn't get enough power together to knock down the 5 firewalls it had by the time I got to it. Xu made it out against all odds, but I couldn't snag Sharp or his gear on the way out, so there went a much needed disrupter, and the three augs I had stuck on him.

Now Day 5 is hours away, I have no money, I'm down my most upgraded agent, I still have poo poo programs, and I have a single AP disrupter. Things are looking great.
I hope you've managed to reverse a daemon at least :)

The game just taught me a lesson on hubris, a.k.a. "I don't need any armor piercing, I'm gonna ghost through every level!" Well, on this particular level, the only way out of the starting area was the narrowest, barest hallway I have ever seen, patrolled by two guards with armor. Through some... creative running, I managed to distract them enough to get all three of my agents past them, but at that point, the alarm level was way past 2. On my way out, I passed the exit teleporter, and I briefly considered leaving then and there. As it turned out, the executive terminal was on the other side of the level, and to get back to the exit meant having to get past the armor guys again, as well as a dozen enforcers.
Yeah, I hosed that up

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Being methodical as hell in expert plus iron man but still running into a stationary guard hiding behind a pillar at the end of a long hallway will never stop being hilarious.

:xcom:

Also, if anyone is curious, the augment that prevents the alarm increase on kill is literally useless in expert plus.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Also, if anyone is curious, the augment that prevents the alarm increase on kill is literally useless in expert plus.

Why? I've never been fortunate enough to have the credits to buy a lethal weapon AND get that augment, always curious if it's worth the money sink.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Why? I've never been fortunate enough to have the credits to buy a lethal weapon AND get that augment, always curious if it's worth the money sink.

Kills will still increase the alarm, presumably because the +Alarm on KO is separate from +Alarm on death. It's definitely not worth the price of admission, I think.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Woo completed the game on beginner.

Yay I saved the world from global warming at the low low cost of about 9000 casualties! What, evil AI you say? Well, it seems to me that if it's 2045 and the global temperature is increasing by 3% (!) per year, we're getting pretty drat close to runaway warming and a Venus type scenario. Besides, someone else's already put death lasers into space.

So. Long live our glorious computerised mistress!

Are there alternative endings with different difficulty levels?

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

So I sidled up behind a guard with 1 armor, not realizing a camera had sight on that spot, so it alerted him to turn around, which would have been bad. I pickpocketed him anyway, and he was carrying a Neural Disruptor II... with 1 armor piercing. So I stole his stungun and zapped him with it.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
^^^^ That owns.

Fangz posted:

Are there alternative endings with different difficulty levels?
No, unless you get one for Expert plus.

Also, I tried to see if there's a secret ending if you abort the final mission right before uploading Incognita. There isn't, but at least the game still treated it as a win.

Also, is this just randomness sometimes not seeming random or are some agents way less likely to appear in holding cells than others? I've never seen Prism in one, but I've gotten at least one out of Decker, Shalem and Internationale in every game so far.

Edit: And just by the way, I gave Nika a TAG Pistol during my last run and it's pretty good. Apart from tagging being useful, it basically allowed me to convert 1 Power into 3 AP as long as there was an untagged guard in sight.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 16, 2015

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

This is my GOTY so far. It's pretty fantastic.

I'd love a bit more in the terms of new mission types and a longer campaign. Would very happily pay for DLC to expand the game in every way, more enemy types, more agents, more mission types, new environmental graphics, anything you want to throw at me.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
This game kept me up all night. Beat it on beginner, now taking baby steps into expert.

Seconding the love for Internationale, I also picked up Xu pretty early and agree he's amazing. I basically had no upgrades for Incognita except the program that let's you move daemons around, so Xu was really useful for cracking safes without eating my limited power. I'm sad he didn't unlock so I could start expert with him. I also neglected to level up hacking on anyone and that's gonna have to change on expert.

Ended up with a bunch of useless augments too. Do the neural disruptors count as melee attacks? I'm guess so because I never saw anything else that would count.

Got Banks as my 3rd agent but she only had a couple of missions to get upgraded, so she ended up just being an extra body (not that that's not useful).

I really hope this is popular enough to get an expansion. It's pretty short, although obviously there's a lot of replay value there. An Xcom length campaign would be sweet though. I want to have more than 4 agents and choose which ones go on which missions.

Basically if you like Xcom or cyberpunk stuff at all, pick this up. Way better than Shadowrun.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Just in case anyone didn't know (I didn't until I got a loading screen tip informing me and tried it out) if one of your guys gets shot and you have to leave them behind, they'll be in the next detention centre you hit.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Streaming Ironman Expert Plus again: http://www.hitbox.tv/TastyLemonDrops

Come watch me make questionable decisions all in the name of espionage.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Streaming Ironman Expert Plus again: http://www.hitbox.tv/TastyLemonDrops

Come watch me make questionable decisions all in the name of espionage.

This game is a lot of fun to watch, too. So many agonizing decisions.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Well that big steaming run came to an end. I am pretty sure that there was no exit on the level though. The only door I had not opened was a high security vault door that required an executive keycard, and that should have been the vault. I had a scan of the map outline and there were no rooms left (besides the vault) so it can't be a case that there was a door tucked in a corner that I missed either. Either the exit was in the actual vault or the level generation hosed up.

The room with 3 turrets was hilarious after I had them all hacked and started luring guards in. At that point I knew there was no exit so I figured I would take as many of the fuckers with me as I could. RIP lovely Archive Tony Xu, Nika, and Banks.

stiknork
Aug 3, 2006

Underwhelmed posted:

Well that big steaming run came to an end. I am pretty sure that there was no exit on the level though. The only door I had not opened was a high security vault door that required an executive keycard, and that should have been the vault. I had a scan of the map outline and there were no rooms left (besides the vault) so it can't be a case that there was a door tucked in a corner that I missed either. Either the exit was in the actual vault or the level generation hosed up.

The room with 3 turrets was hilarious after I had them all hacked and started luring guards in. At that point I knew there was no exit so I figured I would take as many of the fuckers with me as I could. RIP lovely Archive Tony Xu, Nika, and Banks.

Late in Endless, the exit is behind a vault door that has a keycard in one of the safes in the level.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

stiknork posted:

Late in Endless, the exit is behind a vault door that has a keycard in one of the safes in the level.

What seriously? That's kind of dirty. I wish they had made some other distinction between a high level door and a vault door that requires an off-site key. I couldn't get many safes open because I was still stuck with brimstone as my only hacking tool, and I just couldn't afford to open much, but I definitely would have shifted some of my priorities if I knew I need to find it in a safe. I still would have lost though.

Does this occur on all stages past a certain point or only sporadically?

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
Ran out of power and ammo with Security level up to 6 and Decker pinned down with 2 armored guards closing in. Used the hostage to draw the guard's view (and fire) off of Decker long enough to make an endzone run with Mallory scolding me over the radio for throwing him under the bus.

GOTY 2015.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Done streaming, thanks for watching. Thanks to Kooriken for making me pick Seed, which is actually a ton better than I initially gave it credit for. I think I might actually prefer it over any of the others.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, Seed is my favorite. It works well with Hammer if you can find it, and follow up with Parasite on something you're going to want to open up next turn, all for 0 power.

My Expert Plus run ended on the last mission. I blew my rewind on a pretty recoverable mistake since it was running so smooth, only for me to accidentally leave monst3r a tile out in the open instead of next to the door about 5 turns later, which ended as well as you could expect.

I actually kind of feel like the game is balanced for Plus, since a lot of the options that don't seem all that great like Abacus are far more helpful when everything is poo poo (4 power goes from 40% extra to 80% extra on Plus). Lethal always felt unnecessary on the easier modes, but it's pretty critical on Plus. The alarm is going up whether you KO them or kill them. It permanently takes out one of the way too many guards from the level, simplifying the stage, and disrupters are off the table so a ranged shot is the only available option if you're spotted. I got a lot of mileage out of archive Decker's revolver - I only replaced it with whatever the AP2 KO dart was when I ran dry late day 3.

TheLoneAmigo
Jan 3, 2013
I wish the corporations had stronger characters and felt more like adversaries rather than scenery. Why don't they have scenery-chewing executives who open up the wireless to taunt you? I get that it's the faceless boot-stomping future, but I'd certainly enjoy it if there was the same sense of adversity that you get with, say, Genghis showing up next to your first city for the sixth time in a row in Civilization...

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

One thing I'd appreciate is a form of UI scaling if you attempt to go past 1080p. Long-term some amount of controller support would be nice, but I can see why that's not available currently.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Hey so I never needed to use lethal weapons on my beginner playthrough, but how does the ammo work? Do you have so many shots per mission? Or is it so many shots and then the weapon is done for good?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Hey so I never needed to use lethal weapons on my beginner playthrough, but how does the ammo work? Do you have so many shots per mission? Or is it so many shots and then the weapon is done for good?

Depends on the weapon. Some of them you can never reload at all(mostly some of the weapons from the "Archive" version of the agents), while others you can reload with a charge pack. Just select the weapon in the task bar wile you have a charge pack in your inventory and choose "Manual reload". There is also a third type of gun that has infinite ammo, but costs PWR to fire, but these seem pretty rare, as I have only seen one of it.

Groen
Oct 7, 2008
The setting and graphics really remind me of Shadow Watch, wich I really liked back in the day.

I'll probably pick this up once its on sale.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

Broken Cog posted:

Depends on the weapon. Some of them you can never reload at all(mostly some of the weapons from the "Archive" version of the agents), while others you can reload with a charge pack. Just select the weapon in the task bar wile you have a charge pack in your inventory and choose "Manual reload". There is also a third type of gun that has infinite ammo, but costs PWR to fire, but these seem pretty rare, as I have only seen one of it.

I snagged a Flurry Rifle in my first run, which is an interesting weapon. It didn't require power or charge packs, and had AP 2, but you only get one shot per mission.

Confused me when i got a second weapon and showed up to a mission with no shots.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
Guns can also have a cooldown, like the disruptors.

Speaking of which, why is Torque Injectors (-1 all cooldowns) only 300 credits? I feel like it's easily better than a lot of the 600+ credit augments.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I can't believe you people would leave your agents to die. I've sacrificed runs because I couldn't keep someone from being shot. I need to grow cold to their plight for the greater good, but I can't shake my "No man left behind" mentality.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

LawfulWaffle posted:

I can't believe you people would leave your agents to die. I've sacrificed runs because I couldn't keep someone from being shot. I need to grow cold to their plight for the greater good, but I can't shake my "No man left behind" mentality.

"No man left behind" is really against the whole spirit of the game.

You would not go far in the Agency.

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.
It's actually a lot easier to manage a single agent, but it gets much more difficult to actually complete missions.

One thing I've learned in expert is that it's not a bad idea to have multiple neural disrupters. I just left a chief financial suite with 6 guards stunned on the floor just from pinning/chain stunning. Volt disrupters are also good for the same reason but I don't like having to manage power for weapon use. Also, tagging enemies is the best, especially with seed/wisp.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I feel like I'll win expert plus ironman tonight. Come and make fun of me as I fail: http://www.hitbox.tv/TastyLemonDrops

abardam
Mar 1, 2015
I think I might prefer the TAG gun now, just because I usually use up all of Incognita's slots, but I agree, tagging makes guard evasion almost trivial. Whenever I have to stun a guy I just tag him so that there's no surprises.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

Experienced is not going well.

This is what happens when you get greedy and stick around an extra turn to crack a safe even though it's really far from the extract zone.

That's it near the bottom right, the spot with the 4 guards in between it and my one living agent.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I feel like I'll win expert plus ironman tonight. Come and make fun of me as I fail: http://www.hitbox.tv/TastyLemonDrops

Thanks everyone who watched. I just beat Expert Plus on Ironman with Prism and Archive Banks (+50 credits for every power on a console was killer, and the item itself is worth 400 when you sell), running Seed and Brimstone. I offer some advice for people playing the highest difficulty:

1) Ranged weapons are super valuable. They are completely unneeded in Expert and below, but essential for Expert Plus, and absolutely essential for Expert Plus Ironman.
2) Money is a lot more important than you might realize, which leads to:
A) Hit up a server farm as soon as you've got the funds to buy 2-3 programs. There's a lot more utility to be had between marking all visible guards with Wisp, gaining control of a camera instantly with Oracle, distracting with Ping, lowering guard sight range with Shadow, etc. Leash and Seed make Sankaku missions completely trivial, because you can safely hack the majority of the guards for long durations (just kill the human guards, preferably with the drones themselves)
B) Hit up every Nanofab and Secondary Server you can safely reach, even if it delays exiting the mission for a turn or two. I ended up buying like 4 weapons and 5 charge packs to refill on ammo. Smoke and flash bombs are great as well.
C) You do not need to upgrade your characters all that much, unless you have great items that have requirements. At least for me, stats in order of importance: Strength, Speed, Anarchy, Hacking. Being able to drag guards and allies around quickly is invaluable.
D) If an item/augment/program seems mediocre to you, you should probably reconsider. Mediocre items in Expert and below turn into amazing items in Expert Plus. The only one I would say is useless is the augment that prevents +alert on kill.
3) Don't be afraid to straight up kill guards if you think it'll be advantageous. Dead guards not only make the mission easier, but the bodies can be used to distract other guards. The +2 alarm on kill is completely negligible because you will be hitting alert 5/6 more often than not anyway. Would you rather be at alert 6 with more guards, or at alert 6 with less guards? I thought so.
4) It's worth dragging KO'd guards around so they don't wake up. Their bodies can be used as distractions when you're closer to the front lines, as well.
5) Don't be afraid to stand out in the open! If you're aware of every guard in the vicinity and have them tagged or observed, you can actually make quite a bit of progress by standing out in the open:
A) Take advantage of how sight works. You can move your characters literally right next to guards, and as long as they move straight, they won't see you, even if they turn around.
B) If a guard turns even slightly, you'll get spotted; but you can just position your character on the other side.
C) You can keep one un-KO'd guard out of the picture if you're willing to commit a character to it: The guard must be right in front of a door, and your character must be in the same room. Just open the door from the side, then move behind the guard. Because the door was opened from the guard's room, he won't move into the next room, and will look side to side (which is why you move behind the guard after). Rinse and repeat.
D) The last ! takes precedence over everything else, as long as your characters aren't spotted. Leaving bodies on the path to you is actually helpful because more often than not, guards will turn right back around after discovering a body.
E) Keep doors closed if you don't want guards heading in that direction. They will eventually come in that direction, but in my experience, guards who have no clue where you are will always head for open doors first. That being said, keep doors open to dead ends, or rooms you want guards to head toward.

One final bit: Peek, open door, peek. If you aren't doing this for every single room you come across, you're either in a rush or being way too ballsy (which you cannot afford to be in ironman)

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 07:59 on May 18, 2015

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

LawfulWaffle posted:

I was on my way out on a particularly brutal mission where one of my agents was down but I had a clear run to the exit with my other two. I went with my gut and sent Internationale back to drag her to the exit (no med gel) but she caught got and died as well and I only escaped with one agent. The next mission was the final one and I had a really lovely layout and I went down quipping.

Now? gently caress 'em, I'm a lot better at the game but if the choice is leaving someone behind or getting out with more I'll take the latter anytime now. If you lose someone halfway through you actually have a good chance of rescuing them too so it's not a total loss.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Demiurge4 posted:

I was on my way out on a particularly brutal mission where one of my agents was down but I had a clear run to the exit with my other two. I went with my gut and sent Internationale back to drag her to the exit (no med gel) but she caught got and died as well and I only escaped with one agent. The next mission was the final one and I had a really lovely layout and I went down quipping.

Now? gently caress 'em, I'm a lot better at the game but if the choice is leaving someone behind or getting out with more I'll take the latter anytime now. If you lose someone halfway through you actually have a good chance of rescuing them too so it's not a total loss.

If you're going to leave someone behind, at least try and get all their equipment. Losing a character isn't actually all that bad, but losing 1000+ credits worth of gear is.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Thanks everyone who watched. I just beat Expert Plus on Ironman with Prism and Archive Banks (+50 credits for every power on a console was killer, and the item itself is worth 400 when you sell), running Seed and Brimstone. I offer some advice for people playing the highest difficulty:

Congrats on your win! I used Prism last (ill-fated) run too, and even though I still think she's boring as poo poo, her cybernetic probably averages out to a free Power Drip, which is strong as gently caress. Starting with the ability to pickpocket is nice too, since you can take keycards right out of the gate and you don't have to waste money on the upgrade.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
This game is really good! I'm breezing it on beginner but I can already see how hard it's going to be on higher levels.

I used wisp when I had guards visible, but it didn't seem to work? What are the mechanics of it? I used it, the guy was listed as tagged, then I walked away and the room went into darkness and I couldn't see the guard.

I got that +2ap per hack implant for all three of my operatives :getin:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Bhodi posted:

This game is really good! I'm breezing it on beginner but I can already see how hard it's going to be on higher levels.

I used wisp when I had guards visible, but it didn't seem to work? What are the mechanics of it? I used it, the guy was listed as tagged, then I walked away and the room went into darkness and I couldn't see the guard.

I got that +2ap per hack implant for all three of my operatives :getin:

You lose sight of the guard, but you can still see the little dotted-line arrows telling you where the guard will walk and be facing, as though you used "observe", from turn to turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Expert doesn't gently caress around. Day 3, first mission, three guards patrolling into the starting room via two different doors. Ack!

• Locked thread