Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beer pal
Mar 30, 2010

if a homeless person stops you on the street and asks for change, and youve got some, do you give it to them? im never sure what the "right thing" to do is. also, if you dont want to give them any change, do you lie and say you dont have any? or do you just tell them no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

beer pal posted:

if a homeless person stops you on the street and asks for change, and youve got some, do you give it to them? im never sure what the "right thing" to do is. also, if you dont want to give them any change, do you lie and say you dont have any? or do you just tell them no?

i don't give them any change because i know they'll only use it for scag but if i got a spare fag i'll offer it up instead and that usually goes down well

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

hobos need to get Square imo, nobody carries cash anymore except drug dealers

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I say "get away from me man!!!" and grimace and run away sort of like that scene in Robocop after the I LIKE IT guy turns into a mutant.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
sometimes

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

maybe a Kickstarter

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah. It's just change. poo poo is annoying in my pocket anyway. If I've got it they can have it, otherwise I'll just shrug and say 'sorry dude no change.' Sometimes I'll tell them 'when I get some I'll give it to you' because I'm walking into a store then I give them the coins on my way out.

I was at In n Out the other month and some dude in front of me was trying to buy a cheeseburger and was like $0.40 short and the manager was all 'sorry can't do it' and I was next in line so (both out of altruism and impatience) I gave the dude a few bucks to buy some food with.

Who gives a gently caress, stop being so petty about a few dollars unless you are also super broke.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I give them little plastic jars of my poo poo, which I assure them is someday going to be a highly valuable commodity

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
I completely ignore them, I don't look at them, don't respond when they ask me questions, act like they are completely invisible.

It makes some of them angry which is funny.

Dirt McGuirk
Oct 21, 2010

brave

&

strong
no. the real homeless people aren't asking for money, they're picking up bottles, cans and other garbage. and smoking cigs picked up off the street.

at least they are in michigan where the bottle return is 10c

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Three Olives posted:

I completely ignore them, I don't look at them, don't respond when they ask me questions, act like they are completely invisible.

It makes some of them angry which is funny.

typical 3O

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I give them used Keurig packets

e: and empty truvia packets

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Sometimes I see homeless people with dogs and that makes me sad. I've though about keeping bags of kibble in my car to give to the homeless dogs but I am always afraid the homeless person will eat it instead of giving it the the cute dog.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

I give them used Keurig packets

lol this is seriously the best idea.

aioli is just mayo
Aug 14, 2003

He has only forbidden to you dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah . But whoever is forced by necessity, neither desiring it nor transgressing its limit, there is no sin upon him. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful
One time a guy said "I'm a homeless veteran and I've got a hangover, can I have a dollar to buy a beer" and I gave him a tenner.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
heck ijust cut out the middle man and give them bottles of whiskey

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

beer pal posted:

The right thing is to give them some change but I usually don't.

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007
Yes. I don't care what they do with it, if the few bucks or sandwiches that I give them improves their life by making them momentarily happy then I consider that a good thing. Divest yourself of concerns about what they're doing with it, unless you're giving them hundreds of bucks at a time, in which case you might be potentially causing an overdose by proxy.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
No. They obviously won't ever learn to pull themselves up from their boot straps if you give them welfare. That's why the VA office is intentionally awful. Biding their time until everyone fixes themselves on their own.

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

Three Olives posted:

lol this is seriously the best idea.

You're a jerk.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I just ignore them. I can't be asked for stuff every time I go outside. Imagine a world where everybody did this kind of bullshit.

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp
Only if they offer a blowjob.

beer pal
Mar 30, 2010

i dont always have change - and boy is it ever nice to not even have to lie to the homelss people.. but one time i said all earnest that sorry no cash.. but then he's like.. there's an atm in there (we were outside a gas station) and i was like O.O

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

I told this homeless guy to get a job once and 4 of the X-Men jumped out of the alley and beat me up and called me a fag so now I usually give them money

Speked
Dec 13, 2011

LTA Represent !!
If I have change in my pocket, I give some to the homeless guy/lady.

I'm not a coldhearted rear end in a top hat.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Beanbox posted:

I'm not a coldhearted rear end in a top hat.

Homeless people are like wild animals, if you give them money or food they will keep coming back and forget how to forage, it's for their own good.

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax

Windows 98 posted:

No. They obviously won't ever learn to pull themselves up from their boot straps if you give them welfare. That's why the VA office is intentionally awful. Biding their time until everyone fixes themselves on their own.

Homeless services for vets are really good on Long Island, and when I was there, Florida. Getting to a VA isn't always easy, though-- in Florida I had to get to St. Petersburg via some special van because there are literally no buses that will cross this one bridge (?!) Department of Social Services, on the other hand, is dreadful and I get the impression that they make getting any services as difficult as possible (spending all day there waiting in line, literally ALL DAY, to DROP OFF paperwork, extremely rude employees) in hopes the people who don't really need it will just go away. Although with how the people behave there- starting fights, screaming obscenities, dealing drugs, vandalizing the bathrooms-- no wonder they treat the homeless like poo poo.

Also, "BOOTSTRAPS!!" isn't too easy when you have no address, no job, no phone, no money. Also getting a free gov't cell phone requires an address and in Florida they wouldn't deliver more than one 'Obamaphone' to the same address, which means getting one sent to a shelter is difficult. Lots of shelters charge rent, too.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

no because i am not a loving mark like some of you bozos

Duh Ugh
May 27, 2008
Nope. But, sometimes I do give them cigarettes and and share booze. They get their own 40 though. No telling where those lips were last.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
I pay taxes.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I would donate money to deploy more anti-homeless spikes:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I hope you trip and mangle your face on some homeless spikes.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

warning: severe butt damage

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

I hope you trip and mangle your face on some homeless spikes.

That's not very nice. :(

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

wow love a country where we invent spikes and barriers to prevent people from finding places to sleep instead of building these things called homes that are already invented

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
nop because in european union its always fuckin migrants begging. seriously , they come to our glorious nation to beg for money. its hosed up

they could like beg in their own countyr or even better, find a job in their country. but nope, they come to us to beg

its so hosed up

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

jarofpiss posted:

wow love a country where we invent spikes and barriers to prevent people from finding places to sleep instead of building these things called homes that are already invented

The spikes are cheaper.

Dirt McGuirk
Oct 21, 2010

brave

&

strong
they also provide jobs for the working people

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Dirt McGuirk posted:

they also provide jobs for the working people

I'm going to start an anti-homeless spike small business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Skilleddk posted:

nop because in european union its always fuckin migrants begging. seriously , they come to our glorious nation to beg for money. its hosed up

they could like beg in their own countyr or even better, find a job in their country. but nope, they come to us to beg

its so hosed up

stop loving their countries up then

that goes quadruple if you're british

• Locked thread