Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Smiley4
Jul 4, 2007
Send him to Detroit!
I'm going to DM for a DnD campaign soon with 5th edition rules. I've never done this before, and I'm going to create my own story for it. You guys got any ideas for characters, settings, plots, etc.?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
The heroes must face the perils of navigating white suburbia to reach the comic store.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Alright, so there's this really big bowl

and its really, really full. Like, overflowing full. With soup. Super chunky soup.

Soup so chunky it makes Campbell's Chunky Soup look like some 50 cent store brand knockoff can of soup.

Except it isn't soup at all, it's sewage, and urine, and poop

so much poop

then the smell hits your nostrils.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

A poop golem raids Toilet Town.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

everybody is turned into a owlbear and the players must make sure a cure is never found

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Do an existential, meta quest where the heroes quest to find the crystal of knowledge, but when they obtain it they realize their entire world is made up by a bunch of dorks in a basement, and each is controlled by a person they wouldn't even deem worthy to shine their shield. They must find a wizard to transport them to the higher dimension, where they need to kill the DnD nerds to end their retched world of dragons and orcs and poop monsters. Lead the characters to the basement of who ever's mom's house you're playing in, and just as they roll to bust down the door the dudes you hired come in and stab the gently caress out of your friends.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Here's a good one:

There's a girl who moves to a small town where it rains a lot. She meets a guy who's super pale, and isn't around much. Everyone in the town talks about he's part of some special family. Then he saves the girl from a runaway horse, and gives himself away as having super strength and speed. The girl and the mystery guy end up falling in love, and then he sparkles when the sun comes out, and the girl realises he's a vampire.

Now, the D&D party has to got hunt down the couple before they can have a child which will end up being a vampire that can go out during the day (because it's half human like Blade) and take over the world

Unironic Ska Dad
Feb 17, 2010

Too fat to skank.
A lonely god stares down upon a barren and lonesome landscape...

Void of any warriors, adventures, or any event resulting from any kind sapient interaction, the land simply exists and slowly erodes over a period of eons...

The god finally decides to reevaluate its existence.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

A skeleton erupts

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp
Small town with some funny characters and a legend of a hidden dungeon somewhere nearby. That's it. Have fun.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

all player characters are a custom race of talking dicks who have to speak like theyre mid-orgasm. thats how life evolved in the enchanted penis forest (redwoods) on planet fagulon.

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010
Mayan/Aztec setting. Pyramids, jaguars, obsidian knives, sacrifices and bloodthirsty gods.

Paste
Aug 26, 2007

randomly pick some words- arrange them in a table, roll a dice, take the word and add -lord to the end of it.

Now brainstorm

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

it has got to have knobgoblins OP

naem
May 29, 2011

-skelenton chairs
-skelentonn tables
-a SEXY sckelenton

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

frankly

i think

there should be more skeltons

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
All of the characters must venture to the mystical land of the dollar store.

Where they will search for a myriad of treasures.

Knockoff mexican windex? Shoe Polish? A chipped ceramic plate? The Eye of Vecna?

Then they will battle the great Balrog of The Trailers.

Pretty epic journey bro.

naem
May 29, 2011

SPANKYTOWN skelonngton

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004

RaceBannon posted:

Mayan/Aztec setting. Pyramids, jaguars, obsidian knives, sacrifices and bloodthirsty gods.

The players are separated into teams of two and are identified by the Spirit animals of their setting. Say one team is the purple parrot and another is the silver monkeys. The dm will act as the guide in the former of a talking magical statue of a long forgotten culture that will guide the players through a series of trials where they will overcome using wits and physical prowess. This will culminate in a final temple where in the players will face deadly traps and temple guards to reach an artifact of great power. Afterwards they can climb a mountain to obtain a glowing rock.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

I am Toni Lippi posted:

The players are separated into teams of two and are identified by the Spirit animals of their setting. Say one team is the purple parrot and another is the silver monkeys. The dm will act as the guide in the former of a talking magical statue of a long forgotten culture that will guide the players through a series of trials where they will overcome using wits and physical prowess. This will culminate in a final temple where in the players will face deadly traps and temple guards to reach an artifact of great power. Afterwards they can climb a mountain to obtain a glowing rock.

stop infecting threads with your legends of the hidden temple fanfic toni

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

well there's the standby tavern affair where rumors of monster lairs abound and quickly lead to a place to go smash some monster face in, hard to beat in terms of getting straight to the action and likely fun bits for the people you're dm'ing for even if there's no overarching goal beyond going out in search of things to kill and loot (definitely nothing wrong with that!!). another safe bet for something more overarching you want to last a bit yet still not too fancy-shmancy campaign is having a lich/dragon/goblin king/insert high-power yet eventually killable monster here leading a war on civilization that only your heroes can win after a dozen skirmishes or whatever, if you really need something more complicated or don't want to have to come up with new dungeons every week. if you want something super-fancy, you could try opening like it's a standard monster-den-of-the-week affair but then all of a sudden turn it into a murder mystery where the PCs are implicated in the death of one of the villagers and have to clear their name/kill the actual culprits (or if they are feeling particularly ballsy and you are feeling charitable/devious enough to give them a better chance than they might normally have to get away from death by the local guards, run the gently caress away and get a rep as fugitive scoundrels).

none of these are particularly original but you never asked for that so :razz:

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
What if Tumblr was a D&D campaign? Just some food for thought OP.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

an epic journey into the cave of goatse's butt

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

My idea is you tell everyone you're having a DnD game and then when they get there you lock them out of the house and tell them to go home.

bulletproofjesus
May 2, 2015
Here is what you need to do for characters:

Find out how many people will be in your campaign.

Then make characters that do NOT fit the archetype of what they would normally be. For example an ogre rogue, or a halfling warrior. Make each character for a member of the group that follows this.

Then you should randomly assign each character. Your players can decide on minor aspects such as name and gods, but they have to be non-traditional archetypes.

Then, make a campaign. Do whatever.

Watch as your friends creativelt try to work around their limitations and even find new ways to play.

PS, Ogre should totally use a ballista as a crossbow.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Hitler is a liche trying to kill all the halflings and elves. You have to help him because that's actually a really good idea.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Mix the concepts of Quantum Leap and Sliders and add wizards

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
The skeleton warrior from the original fiend folio makes a pretty good basis for a campaign, but only if the players don't know it is a skeleton warrior.

As DM you play the skeleton warrior as the protagonist who has minions scouring the land for the circlet, you should try orchestrate it so that the players obtain the circlet but don't know what it does until after they give it away to the quest giver, who turns out to be a bit of a jerk once he controls the skeleton warrior.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
They're at the king's castle when monsters attack and have to help fend off the attack by fighting the monsters.

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe
Your party uncovers a vast gnomish conspiracy to control all the banks and bardsong.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Skeletons yes but bugbear skeletons.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

you are eaten by a grue....

then the pooping starts

if this is 2spooky for you Ive got others

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

you are the newest members of Al shabaab ("the shabaab") and there is one starting class: cleric. (just like there is only 1 god and muhammed is his prophet)

depending on your choices, and budding sexuality, your alignment will switch as you level up-- will you become the caliph/?? ayatollah??? apostate??? infidel?! vanguard Israeli homofascism??!

the choice is up to allah

"i will attack the apostates, god willing" *rolls*

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the specifics dont matter, so long as you cram your totally unique race of (insert animal here) people in all the drat time. you know, just to test the waters for revealing your fursona.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

another idea: evil wizard is trying to get one of these types of tricks working, the PCs have to stop him or else the kingdom will be covered in chickens/destroyed by projectile cow poo poo

lordoftheT
Feb 2, 2015

Check out this cool dog!
The kingdom is being ravished by a horde of horny owlbears.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

The party are atheist MRAs in a universe where gods objectively exist

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Way back in my early high school days, I would run a game set up like some sort of grand monster murder mystery horror thriller. Think Sherlock Holmes meets H.P. Lovecraft in Middle Earth with a big buildup. Then right at the end, on the verge of figuring out what's really going down, I'd just kill off everybody.

I'm the only one that thought it was funny.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm a fan of that ol' wacky twist where the party has to stop some lich who is raising zombies/skeletons/whatever all around his countryside fortress only to find out that he's a scientist who has figured out how to safely raise hodgepodge bodies that are free of souls and is trying to industrialize to prevent famine or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

A giant rat asks the party to get the innkeepers out of his basement (as they're running a speak-easy in some sort of fantasy prohibition era)

A "demon barber" is shaving dwarves, allowing them to infiltrate gnomish territory.

Drow discover sunglasses. No one is cool enough to oppose them.

Quest to defeat evil genie is declared culturally insensitive in current political climate.

basement jihadist posted:

you are the newest members of Al shabaab ("the shabaab") and there is one starting class: cleric. (just like there is only 1 god and muhammed is his prophet)
What domains does Allah/Yaweh have? Light and Tempest?

Wurzag posted:

The party are atheist MRAs in a universe where gods objectively exist

This is literally a faction from Planescape, sorry.

• Locked thread