Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

WTF England? You have an old hag ruling your country. An inbred poo poo head weirdo next in line, and his ugly messed up son with a hot wife, and his ugly kids set to take over at least until the 2080s. Its no coincidence that the only hansom tolerable member of the family is the offspring of a common woman, and the common man she cheated on Charles with. Even then that loving idiot hangs out in Las Vegas nude and dresses as Hitler for rave parties. When you gonna grow up and join the real world British bros? Get with the program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

it's all the "united kingdom" has left

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I don't see how that is any worse than having a dog eating islamist Kenyan dictator as your leader, OP

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

Smiling Mandrill posted:

WTF England? You have an old hag ruling your country. An inbred poo poo head weirdo next in line, and his ugly messed up son with a hot wife, and his ugly kids set to take over at least until the 2080s. Its no coincidence that the only hansom tolerable member of the family is the offspring of a common woman, and the common man she cheated on Charles with. Even then that loving idiot hangs out in Las Vegas nude and dresses as Hitler for rave parties. When you gonna grow up and join the real world British bros? Get with the program.

well what would you have the UK do with the royal fam?

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

error1 posted:

I don't see how that is any worse than having a dog eating islamist Kenyan dictator as your leader, OP

Obama isn't an inbred German so hes go that going for him.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

RaceBannon posted:

lol they invented the guillotine like over 200 years ago dude, next question

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

RaceBannon posted:

I think they own Queen's Park Rangers Football Club so maybe they could get jobs there like chief financial officer or left sided full back

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Are you guys really going to make Charles King when his mother dies? Seems like a perfect chance to end the madness is all I'm saying.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
america lets people in arkansas vote. you shouldn't through stones in glass houses

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
The royal family effectively pays the UK an absolute poo poo TON to be their monarchs, so I don't see it ending any time soon. They lease an amount of land worth billions to the government for effectively free.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
It seems mostly ceremonial anyway. I think it's pretty cool for a country to have a queen and/or king just sitting around not doing much, while parliament and prime ministers get things done. Symbolism!

Also it seems slightly less shameful for a country to be interested in gossip and articles and chat about an actual royal family rather than, say, the Kardashians

EDIT: Well okay that's a good point
vvvvvvvvvvv

HJE-Cobra fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 13, 2015

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

HJE-Cobra posted:

It seems mostly ceremonial anyway. I think it's pretty cool for a country to have a queen and/or king just sitting around not doing much, while parliament and prime ministers get things done. Symbolism!

Also it seems slightly less shameful for a country to be interested in gossip and articles and chat about an actual royal family rather than, say, the Kardashians

The kardashians aren't being paid with us tax dollars so it a whole lot less retarded.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Germstore posted:

The royal family effectively pays the UK an absolute poo poo TON to be their monarchs, so I don't see it ending any time soon. They lease an amount of land worth billions to the government for effectively free.

so they're like landlords? do they own the parliament building? that's wicked funny if so.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Mr. Pumroy posted:

so they're like landlords? do they own the parliament building? that's wicked funny if so.

Basically. The government manages it, and gives 15% of the revenue to the reigning monarch.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Germstore posted:

Why do "royals" own that land in the first place? If you got rid of them then people could hunt stags without fear of being killed for poaching in the kings woods.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Jonad posted:

america lets people in arkansas vote. you shouldn't through stones in glass houses

Kind of a bad time for Britain to be poking fun at America's elections, innit?

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
No you've got it backwards they just elected conservatives so they're about to start planting their flag all over the globe again and gettin' all nostalgic about kings and poo poo.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Smiling Mandrill posted:

Why do "royals" own that land in the first place? If you got rid of them then people could hunt stags without fear of being killed for poaching in the kings woods.

Besides rural and farmland they also have a lot of holdings in London as well. The penalty for poaching a cinnabon in the Queen's Mall is death!

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
honestly I'd rather have the monarchy rule us directly than the slimy swine in the political parties, who've brown nosed their way up from being smarmy interns when they were young. Democracy can rot in hell

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Eh, they are good PR for this country and foreign people seem to like em. Charles is ugly and old, but the William/Kate/Harry generation seem quite chill and like genuine nice people. I reckon Charles will abdicate for Willyboy, he's been waiting too long now and it ll be weird to have him be king.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
I wonder what is better

a person born and bred to rule, bloodline carefully planned, given the best education money can buy or some random loving poo poo peasant sucked the right donors off

:iiam:

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

henpod posted:

Eh, they are good PR for this country and foreign people seem to like em. Charles is ugly and old, but the William/Kate/Harry generation seem quite chill and like genuine nice people. I reckon Charles will abdicate for Willyboy, he's been waiting too long now and it ll be weird to have him be king.

I can only speak for myself here but its annoying as poo poo when big "news" in our country is about your royals ability to successfully gently caress, but I guess we're as much to blame as them.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Smiling Mandrill posted:

I keep wishing they would leave our overcrowded, shithole island and move to the USA like all the successful actors/celebrities do for a better quality of life. Unfortunately they haven't.

I want to see reports on the news that the queen got pissed in LA and was arrested for drink and drug driving at 2am whilst firing a shotgun into the sky.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
democracy is okay if youre some gay athenian, but for a nation in the 21st century? lol

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:
I think it's funny that George V left Nicholas II to die at the hands of the communists. He didn't want to stoke any revolutionary sentiment at home.

Like that would ever happen, limeys can't get enough of the royal cock.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

henpod posted:

Is it really good PR when everyone on the planet that doesnt have a monarch makes fun of them constantly? That's like saying the kardashians are good PR for the US. They're more like a side-show novelty than anything; similar to a lady with a beard or a dude who bites off chicken heads.

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

they are the current winners of a 1500 year battle royal, im not going to mess with them

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

I wonder what is better

a person born and bred to rule, bloodline carefully planned, given the best education money can buy or some random loving poo poo peasant sucked the right donors off

:iiam:

divine mandate anointed by god or get hosed

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhyYgnhhKFw

this explains it all

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
The only problem with the monarchy is that they ceded too much of their power to parliament

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

boom boom boom posted:

Kind of a bad time for Britain to be poking fun at America's elections, innit?

I'm a canadian you stupid hoser

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Jonad posted:

Impossible. Canadians aren't that rude. :q:

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:

Jonad posted:

Thanks for living in the puppet state of the western powers. You're always there when our armies need extra cannon fod... highly trained reserves.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

naturalized canadian citizens have to swear a loyalty oath to the queen of england

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

gggiiimmmppp posted:

naturalized canadian citizens have to swear a loyalty oath to the queen of england

So why can't I just come and live in Canada and buy a big house for $5 in the middle of loving nowhere and be happy?

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

gggiiimmmppp posted:

american children have to swear loyalty to their ugly flag every weekday

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
OP everyone knows they are State 51, but the monarchy gives them a perpetual illusion that their independence is actually real and meaningful, we can't take it away from them

it'd be like taking Disney World away from Florida, all they'd have left is vicious gators and old people

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

:mrgw:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
royals be loving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

gggiiimmmppp posted:

you're not allowed to be a lawyer in canada without swearing loyalty to the queen too

• Locked thread