Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
While I enjoyed the pilot way more than I expected I already know the DEO aspect is going to drag the show down for me as the series progresses. I assume it's the price you pay for being on CBS and every show needing to be a procedural to some degree. Hopefully we won't have to watch Supergirl ask not Nick Fury for permission every time she needs to save the day.

Also the silliest moment of the pilot might have been Kara's sister giving her poo poo for saving the plane. As if her living in secret was far more important than the lives of the hundred or so people on the plane and those caught in the wake of the crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

JT Smiley posted:

Also the silliest moment of the pilot might have been Kara's sister giving her poo poo for saving the plane. As if her living in secret was far more important than the lives of the hundred or so people on the plane and those caught in the wake of the crash.

That fits perfectly with the movie (even though this is supposed to be a different universe/show). Save all those people, literally a bus full of children? Naw, you might get found out. Or maybe that's a good thing? I don't know!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

JT Smiley posted:

I think she was upset that Kara just stood there in teh spotlight and let herself be photographed.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

JT Smiley posted:

While I enjoyed the pilot way more than I expected I already know the DEO aspect is going to drag the show down for me as the series progresses. I assume it's the price you pay for being on CBS and every show needing to be a procedural to some degree. Hopefully we won't have to watch Supergirl ask not Nick Fury for permission every time she needs to save the day.

I hope you hate Star Labs just as much.

Star Labs = DEO = Arrow Cave

It's all the same, let's not pretend suddenly it's a "procedural" cause it's on CBS. The Flash is such a procedural at times, so is Arrow.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Josh Lyman posted:

You are the worst kind of nerd.

A comics nerd? I had actually forgotten Krypton was a chemical element as it happens, but I was more thinking about the fact that as far as I was aware Kryptonite was an actual mineral. Turns out it's not, strictly speaking - it's only the nickname for Jadarite.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Sober posted:

I hope you hate Star Labs just as much.

Star Labs = DEO = Arrow Cave

It's all the same, let's not pretend suddenly it's a "procedural" cause it's on CBS. The Flash is such a procedural at times, so is Arrow.

Yeah, kind of. I'm not the biggest fan this current trend of superheros having teams of the worlds greatest hackers/chemist/geologist that watch them and give them inspiring speeches right when the battle is all but lost. I don't watch Arrow, but I'd be just as upset if people spent the pilot of the Flash talking down and belittling Barry for using his powers to help others.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
This is my biggest problem. She's goddamn Supergirl, why the hell are you telling her not to use her powers when Superman is RIGHT loving THERE doing the same thing?

"She doesn't have training!" Oh man, too bad, I guess she can never help anyone unless there's literally somebody with her exact same power set who's her cousin flying around, or a sister who's in the goddamn superhuman spy agency. Hell, drop her off with Wonder Woman if you want.

And the dude in charge of the agency has to be the biggest moron of them all. I mean seriously, how goddamn obtuse do you have to be when a goddamn Kryptonian walks up to you and says "I want to help people!" to think that it's going to be more of a hindrance than a help? And then after all this bullshit, you let her go free when you know there are people who want to kill her with full knowledge of her powers and the ability to communicate with her!

This felt so terrible compared to how refreshing the Flash pilot was, Flash literally just up and says he wants to help people, the team gets behind him and he gets to goddamn work, with the only reluctant guy being the villain.

I am apparently way more upset with this than I realised.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

JT Smiley posted:

Yeah, kind of. I'm not the biggest fan this current trend of superheros having teams of the worlds greatest hackers/chemist/geologist that watch them and give them inspiring speeches right when the battle is all but lost. I don't watch Arrow, but I'd be just as upset if people spent the pilot of the Flash talking down and belittling Barry for using his powers to help others.
I don't read comic books so I don't exactly know how comic book stories work or what support structures the heroes have that aren't other super heroes coming in and giving them advice or whatever.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Yorkshire Tea posted:

This is my biggest problem. She's goddamn Supergirl, why the hell are you telling her not to use her powers when Superman is RIGHT loving THERE doing the same thing?

"She doesn't have training!" Oh man, too bad, I guess she can never help anyone unless there's literally somebody with her exact same power set who's her cousin flying around, or a sister who's in the goddamn superhuman spy agency. Hell, drop her off with Wonder Woman if you want.

And the dude in charge of the agency has to be the biggest moron of them all. I mean seriously, how goddamn obtuse do you have to be when a goddamn Kryptonian walks up to you and says "I want to help people!" to think that it's going to be more of a hindrance than a help? And then after all this bullshit, you let her go free when you know there are people who want to kill her with full knowledge of her powers and the ability to communicate with her!

This felt so terrible compared to how refreshing the Flash pilot was, Flash literally just up and says he wants to help people, the team gets behind him and he gets to goddamn work, with the only reluctant guy being the villain.

Quit getting mad about superhero shows?

Again the agency=X-com which means there always incompetent.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Klaus88 posted:

Quit getting mad about superhero shows?

Again the agency=X-com which means there always incompetent.

I wrote that, then realised it had come off way more angry than I'd intended. I'll let it stand though because it's largely true.

This was much worse than the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D pilot and given this is the first big comic book show headlined by a woman, it's a bit of a disappointment that that's the case. Chances are I won't watch when it comes out, but occasionally pop into the thread to see if people are enjoying it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's the second. The other one even has Agent in the title.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Yorkshire Tea posted:

My problem is why would she still work for Ally McBeal? She said she wanted to work there to make a change without using her powers. Then she admits that fails AND now she wants to use her powers. Quit that poo poo job, go get some DEO training and work there full time.

I mean I know why(lol CBS execs thinks it appeals to female demographic or whatever), but it is still stupid as hell.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Aphrodite posted:

It's the second. The other one even has Agent in the title.

Agent Carter worth watching? I couldn't stand Agents of Shield.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Drifter posted:

It's much better, though there's a bit of a lull in the middle.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Drifter posted:

Starts off strong then shits the bed in the last 2 episodes.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

evilmiera posted:

That fits perfectly with the movie (even though this is supposed to be a different universe/show). Save all those people, literally a bus full of children? Naw, you might get found out. Or maybe that's a good thing? I don't know!

It doesn't fit at all. Pa Kent is distrustful of how the world will react to his boy and wants to protect him. Thus he always wants him to keep a low profile, and in the scene after the bus is mentally fighting with himself over what the right thing to do would have been. Everything is different when you're talking about the 24 year old cousin of the guy who has already been Supermaning around for more than a decade when she finally uses her powers.

Plus Pa Kent wasn't being a dick about Clark using his powers in their conversation, unlike Kara's sister. Also Pa Kent didn't essentially question why, unlike the sister who was sitting on the crashing plane full of hundreds of other people.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 26, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Gyges posted:

It doesn't fit at all. Pa Kent is distrustful of how the world will react to his boy and wants to protect him. Thus he always wants him to keep a low profile, and in the scene after the bus is mentally fighting with himself over what the right thing to do would have been. Everything is different when you're talking about the 24 year old cousin of the guy who has already been Supermaning around for more than a decade when she finally uses her powers.

Plus Pa Kent wasn't being a dick about Clark using his powers in their conversation, unlike Kara's sister. Also Pa Kent didn't essentially question why, unlike the sister who was sitting on the crashing plane full of hundreds of other people.

Well, to be fair, Kara's human sister knew that there was a prison full of aliens who had been sentenced to prison by Kara's real mom. She was probably doing all she could to keep that information fro Kara once she joined the spec ops group.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Drifter posted:

Well, to be fair, Kara's human sister knew that there was a prison full of aliens who had been sentenced to prison by Kara's real mom. She was probably doing all she could to keep that information fro Kara once she joined the spec ops group.

You'd think she'd be more heavily into discouraging Superman iconography in an eventual costume then. Tell her all about some awesome Daxamite designs.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I teach English in Asia, and one of my classes is mostly middle school girls. They were doing a drawing activity today and one of them drew Superman flying up and saving a plane. I said "Why Superman? Why not Supergirl?" and showed her the plane-saving part from the trailer on my phone. She got very excited and erased Superman to put in Supergirl.

So even if I think the pilot was not as good as it could have been and didn't get me as hyped as The Flash's did, I really, really hope the show does well with people who aren't comic book nerds in their 20's and 30's.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Moon Slayer posted:

I teach English in Asia, and one of my classes is mostly middle school girls. They were doing a drawing activity today and one of them drew Superman flying up and saving a plane. I said "Why Superman? Why not Supergirl?" and showed her the plane-saving part from the trailer on my phone. She got very excited and erased Superman to put in Supergirl.

So even if I think the pilot was not as good as it could have been and didn't get me as hyped as The Flash's did, I really, really hope the show does well with people who aren't comic book nerds in their 20's and 30's.

I'm hoping my goddaughter watches the show and enjoys it. She's only 8 though, so I'm not sure if it might bore her.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Moon Slayer posted:

The problem is TV networks and ratings is that they don't give a gently caress if 7-13 year old girls like the show. If the 18-49s aren't watching in high numbers then no one cares. Plus the show comes off like something that would succeed on Fox or The CW, not CBS, the biggest network.

Also, you just know as a network show featuring a female main character there are going to be a ton of romance hijinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I guess she tracked down the pilot online last night and drew up a completely new comic. :3:

• Locked thread