Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sober posted:

So apparently there is another cut with more action and the alien plot. 2 min long. The music is just as bad, just in the other direction of the one they used in upfronts.

http://cdn.springboardplatform.com/storage/Spoilertv.com/conversion/1523563.mp4

"I've always wanted to help people" - 24 year old superhuman who has never even tested her powers prior to this point despite having them with 12 years. Also, her heat vision is blue. Which is odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gaunab posted:

CBS is a super white people channel. Anyways the interesting thing about Supergirl is that from the trailer most of her core friends know she's Supergirl so they won't milk her hiding from her friends for drama.

They can still milk hiding from her boss for drama, along with the public in general. Though the fact she's ripping her blouse off as she runs down the street says the show's probably not too interested in that one. I'm not even sure how they're going to work her job against her saving people. Is Cat Grant just not going to care that her personal secretary disappears for large portions of the day without notice or reason despite being set up as a bit of an uncaring bitch regarding employees? Or is she just going to conveniently have reason to duck out and get coffee every time something happens to be going down? It's such a stupid job to pick as your civilian identity, even discounting how uncool it is.

tsob fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 14, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I don't like that the first episode of Supergirl is going to end with her getting a cheesy pep talk from her sister about how she really is strong enough to beat the alien. I know cheesy pep talks are part and parcel of hero stories, but they normally don't need them in the first episode that I recall. It seems more like something meant to reinforce that yes, girls can be strong too, which should be more told through action than cheesy pep talks.

I'm also not fond of the "S" shield being a clan symbol, but that's not something I can really pin on the show I suppose. I preferred it being something Martha stitched up herself to help ensure people saw Clark as a symbol of hope, rather than an alien to fear. It's a more emotive connection I think. Was that only one of the cartoons that did that or what?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I'm actually very surprised that so many websites/blogs were praising the Super girl trailer.

What are tumblr and feminist sites saying about it out of interest? I imagine they at least have to have some mixed if not outright negative thoughts on it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Hollismason posted:

They need to just murder Superman in the next few episodes and be like "Welp, she's it" . Cause even having him in the world makes the show terrible in so many ways.

I can't understand why they had Superman in it in the first place. They don't even appear to be allowed to say his name, never mind show him, so having him exist instead of Kara replacing him is just awkward in a lot of ways. It also makes some things bizarre. Like, how do people not know that aliens exist? What do they think Superman is? Has he never fought a single alien in over 10 years? Why did he never train her in her powers? Why did he never train her to fight full stop? I get that he wanted her to make the choice to be a hero herself, but she should have had lessons for the sake of self-defense if nothing else given the kind of poo poo that's out there. Kara's opening monologue declaring that the world didn't need two heroes so she never bothered to do anything despite telling her sister she's always wanted to help people 5 minutes later is also hilariously stupid.

There's other things that are kind of weird in the show too. If Kara is so against the name Supergirl why does she not just give someone (James Olson for example) an interview and declare that her name is Superwoman? It sounds better as a name anyways, screw the character's history. Why does she even care about keeping her job at Catco? She hates having to fetch coffee and she has a sister working at the DEO and has literally just helped them directly. Why not just work for them? At least for a while until they try and force her to do something she disagrees with. There have got to be better jobs for someone with her powers and need to run out a moment's notice than a PA. Hell, for that matter, what does Cat Grant think she's doing every time she runs out to save the city? It's going to get kind of stupid eventually considering she's supposed to be at Cat Grant's beck and call at any time. How does Wynn know how to make body armor capes and hack police frequencies? What the gently caress is he doing working as a...reporter? Whatever he is, if he can do that. Why did the alien leave after the DEO helicopter showed up? He should have been able to just jump up and smash it out of the sky before continuing to fight Kara by all indications.

I'm also not a fan of a lot of the dialogue of the show. The opening episode alone had several pep talks, and all of them stunk of "girls can be strong too". Show don't tell. We don't need the cast reinforcing it with hokey dialogue every few minutes if you actually just show her doing stuff. Which they were, and that should have been enough on it's own without the need for the cast to lay it on thick on several occasions that girls can be heroes too.

I think it's a good pilot, but I maintain that it's good despite it's setup and dialogue, not because of it. It may be able to keep that up long term and even start to leave some of the issues, like the dialogue in the dust where they belong, but I won't be holding my breath.

sbaldrick posted:

That was really bad, I don't know if it was simply pilot issues or CBS loving with product but it seems to not have learned any of the issues of Arrow and the Flash and gone Agents of SHEILD way (I thought the villain was Brett Dalton for a bit).

The moment I'd most like to change, lets make Kara a lesbian because otherwise it's a love triangle for no reason with Jimmy Olsen and guy whose name I don't know.

I've not seen Agents of SHIELD, but the obvious love triangle seems like something pulled straight out of CW's playbook frankly. As does the idea of her sister telling her that she should never be a hero and what she did was stupid after saving her life for the sake of melodrama and then 10 minutes later encouraging her to fly because the world needs her.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gyges posted:

More important that Superman, they've got Comet, right? I boycott the gently caress out of any Supergirl property that doesn't include Comet.

For a moment I thought you meant Captain Comet and got incredibly excited about the idea of a pulpy sci-fi hero on tv, then I remembered Comet was just a horse version of Krytpo, but even weirder. What I wouldn't give for a tv series with him, or possibly even better: Adam Strange that reveled in full Flash Gordon-esque glory.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Blackchamber posted:

I only half paid attention

As soon as Kara wakes up in the DEO building Hank says that they know who she is and then Alex walks up to her and they talk as sisters. There's never any indication given that Alex was trying to keep the fact her sister was an alien secret from the DEO that I recall - only that she was trying to keep her job secret from Kara, and Kara from using her powers, because if she did, then the DEO would be forced to act against her since she's an alien threat to them.

Which is pretty silly, given that all it takes is a quick speech regarding the fact she's her sister and can handle it to change Hank's mind. Kara being Superman's cousin on it's own should have been enough, but then, if it was, we'd have no excuse for cheap melodrama I guess.

This show would be so much better if Superman didn't exist in it's continuity.

tsob fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 24, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
You do realize that "evilmiera" didn't really complain about things not being explained - just that he thought it was awful in a variety of ways, right? He did miss Kryptonite's properties being a known quantity for a reason, but wasn't really complaining about it so much as just noting it. And given that several people have come to identical conclusions regarding it's quality even after watching and paying attention to the whole thing, I doubt him watching the entire episode was really going to change his mind personally.

Also, weird to note that Chrome has Krypton in it's dictionary, but not Kryptonite for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Josh Lyman posted:

You are the worst kind of nerd.

A comics nerd? I had actually forgotten Krypton was a chemical element as it happens, but I was more thinking about the fact that as far as I was aware Kryptonite was an actual mineral. Turns out it's not, strictly speaking - it's only the nickname for Jadarite.

• Locked thread