Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Aphrodite posted:

Jackie Chan is the straight man in Rush Hour. Chris Tucker's whiny, high pitched voice is vital.

The only thing necessary in the Jackie Chan role is a strong accent.

This is possibly the most wrong statement ever made about Rush Hour. Do you also contend that Owen Wilson was the vital pillar of the Shanghai ______ series? Horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So, given that Kara and Clark seem to more or less know each other and Olsen is a black man named James in this, I take it that DC is going for an explicit separation between TV and Movies in contrast to Marvel's it's all one universe approach.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shneak posted:

Melissa Benoist seems like she'll be great but it looks like it has a lot of cliches and definitely resembles that SNL Avengers parody.

How many times did she say "my cousin?" Do they not have the rights to Superman's name?

I'm sure it's just that he's still going by "The Blur" and everyone agrees that's just too stupid to say out loud.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Deadpool posted:

It's not part of the CW universe almost for sure. But we don't know if it's part of the movie universe or not. It could just be its own thing like Gotham.

Considering she's like 24 and 12 years older than Kal, they know they're cousins, Jimmy is a black man, and Kal is apparently giving her his baby blanket for a cape, this is not happening in the same universe as Man of Steel.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Didn't the evil villain in the Wonder Woman pilot also have a plan pretty similar to Sharon Stone's in Catwoman?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

pentyne posted:

They're going in the direction of light hearted (not a bad thing) and making Kara the "adorkable" cliche female star (again, not necessarily bad) but the "do you have a problem with the word girl?" and the attempted stirring "you're a hero" speech are just awful and the music choices really turned off a lot of people. Plus, in the 6 minute trailer there were a ton of references to Superman that seemed really out of place, especially the Jimmy Olson "Superman told me he wanted you to do this, but he wanted you to make the choice on your own."

I think you mean her cousin. They were very careful to not once mention Superman, which means he's probably been added to the list with Batman by DC.

DC does the dumbest poo poo.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Sober posted:

The correct nomenclature is fem-Zod or perhaps Zod-girl right?

Zodina or Zodette

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Aphrodite posted:

Except they clearly want to make a show about a second generation Supergirl living up to Superman's name.

It's kind of hard to live up to His name when yours isn't even a pronoun, let alone masculine.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
More important that Superman, they've got Comet, right? I boycott the gently caress out of any Supergirl property that doesn't include Comet.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Drifter posted:

Comic Supergirl originally had a pet cat, Streaky - mutated by a rare form of Kryptonite.

Yeah, but who wants to read about/watch a super catlady? Besides, everyone knows a super cat would be the real villain the whole time.

Pilot question
So for the last 12 years or whatever a Krytonian Supermax(gently caress this show if it ever plays the pun) population has been running around Earth. Is the DEO really so dumb as to not get Superman to help catch these guys, or is this a job big enough for a man, but ph balanced for a superwoman?

Also if they're all so pissed off at Kara's mom, why haven't they done anything to that nephew of hers flying around like he owns the place?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Drifter posted:

You're absolutely right.

It's the same way Agents of Shield is in the Marvel Universe but won't ever have anyone or anything from the movies. Were there complaints about that for that show?

It's a fun show. It has a very RomCom-y movie feel even though it's not a romcom.

In this case it's mostly because they just won't shut the hell up about Him, the cousin. Also the whole monster of the week thing is being set up to revolve around a Kryptonian Supermax that crashed about 12 years ago, spilling it's criminal aliens over the planet, just a short distance from where he send his cousin to grow up. Why does he seemingly not give a flying poo poo about this? It seems pretty relevant to him. But I guess Lex Luthor and Brainiac have been destroying Metropolis for the last dozen years solid.

Which admittedly could be an issue with Agents of SHIELD frequently being all up in Stark Industries espionage, mythic Norse artifacts, and on the trail of the Winter Soldier. I don't watch it, but whether or not they do it doesn't mean Supergirl isn't starting off on questionable footing.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rarity posted:

I don't get why they kept doing this. They called him Superman right at the start of the show! :psyduck:

Pretty sure they just called him Kal El. Which I think they said 3 times total and is the least known of his names. Really, DC/WB has just the dumbest rules when it comes to characters being used in their movies.

Drifter posted:

I don't see that having superman cameo would add any betterment to whatever plot they have for Supergirl.

Well, he did cameo twice which was actually surprising since he was clearly Superman but they clearly couldn't say the name Superman. Really though I don't think anyone actually wants him to show up, just for the show to shut the hell up about him. If you don't mention him, her cousin, every scene or so then the audience doesn't wonder why Superman isn't doing anything about his evil aunt and her army of super aliens and Kryptonians who are planing to take over the world. Also why he didn't warn Kara about the anti-alien organization and their rear end in a top hat leader. Especially since he was perfectly fine with telling James Olsen all about her secret identity and had him courier over his baby blanket for her costume.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Pikehead posted:

What really threw me was when the sister came to the door and told Kara that she flat out shouldn't have rescued the people on the plane (including herself). It just seemed like really stupid dialogue, and I'm hoping that it's just pilotitis and the show not having found it's voice yet.

I didn't really like any of the plot revolving around the plane. Why is the pilot circling the city in his plane with flaming engines? I realize there's not much safe landing options up in the sky, but what does circling a city do for you other than ensure increased death and destruction? Was he hoping Superman was paying attention and would come save the city and him? The plane doesn't have to be going down in the city for Kara to hear about it or for Cat Grant to use a super girl saving it to revitalize her news papers. Unless in the DC universe there's some sort of gentleman's agreement or law that only the "hometown" media is allowed to cover super heroes.

Then the little argument between Kara and her sister afterwards felt weird as hell. Kara never defends her actions with having to save her sister, and her sister clearly is trying to Man of Steel Pa Kent some poo poo while desperately trying not to come off as Pa Kent and sucks at it. Also maybe temper some of the giddy joy of flying and using your powers until after you talk about that plane crash your sister was in where she could totally still be somewhat hurt, instead of leading off with the fun powers followed by a oh, you ok?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

sbaldrick posted:

Even if they didn't want to use Superman or say his name, why not just have Clark show up for like 2 minutes. It's not like everyone doesn't know Clark Kent=Superman.

DC probably wouldn't let them. Not being able to really use Superman or say his name more than the one time they said Superman are almost certainly DC/WB directives. They believe that utilizing characters in different contexts will confuse people and thus embargo them. Because having clearly separate properties is just inconceivable.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Drifter posted:

Supergirl canceled; Powergirl to premiere.

So will filling her hole be the season finale?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

This is only an acceptable level of upping the outrage if it's unholy race changed uhgg black people make me so mad, James Olsen. Also her cousin told him to do it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

evilmiera posted:

Arrow had a great pilot. Flash's was ok, and at least kept your interest up. But this seems to have been infected by the terrible new Superman movie and it just made everything weird.

Just about the only link between this show and Man of Steel is that her outfit ends up looking similar. The tone, setting, and history are all totally different.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TyrantWD posted:

How does an executive assistant afford to have a bottle of Blue Label lying around, and live in a gigantic apartment?

Depending on which version of Kryptonian physiology they're using she could be saving money on not having to eat, and the eye lasers do save money on expensive razors.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

evilmiera posted:

That fits perfectly with the movie (even though this is supposed to be a different universe/show). Save all those people, literally a bus full of children? Naw, you might get found out. Or maybe that's a good thing? I don't know!

It doesn't fit at all. Pa Kent is distrustful of how the world will react to his boy and wants to protect him. Thus he always wants him to keep a low profile, and in the scene after the bus is mentally fighting with himself over what the right thing to do would have been. Everything is different when you're talking about the 24 year old cousin of the guy who has already been Supermaning around for more than a decade when she finally uses her powers.

Plus Pa Kent wasn't being a dick about Clark using his powers in their conversation, unlike Kara's sister. Also Pa Kent didn't essentially question why, unlike the sister who was sitting on the crashing plane full of hundreds of other people.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Drifter posted:

Well, to be fair, Kara's human sister knew that there was a prison full of aliens who had been sentenced to prison by Kara's real mom. She was probably doing all she could to keep that information fro Kara once she joined the spec ops group.

You'd think she'd be more heavily into discouraging Superman iconography in an eventual costume then. Tell her all about some awesome Daxamite designs.

• Locked thread