Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Merdifex posted:

It is quite a bad thing. Defining a community by it's output of memes is pointless when you don't even consider the cultural context which produced said content. 4chan being a crucible of bigotry and self-loathing cannot be ignored.

The "OC" argument is also a bullshit justification bigots make for keeping 4chan terrible. But I don't think the reprehensible morality of 4chan is what produces the content.

I think the content comes from the anonymity. Without a name the worst you can do, when you try something out, is fail at it. On SA people will follow you around dragging it up or give you a BRCT or just get real creepy about it.* So 4chan gets more content and most of it is worthless and forgotten within a day but enough lives on that it dwarfs SA's stuff. I've been part of small traditional (so SA-like rather than 4chan-like) forums before that have been amazing- you could post basically whatever you wanted there as long as it was within the bounds of the discussion and you wouldn't get poo poo. People might argue or downvote but ultimately discussion was judged by other members based on the merit of the posts rather than who was part of the in crowd or what other people were saying about it. These forums all lost that aspect as they grew and louder, less talented members moved in and started basing things on people's reputations rather than on what was actually being posted. I think the chans get around that with anonymity, you can't form cults of personality or hate a post based solely on who wrote it because you can't tell who the other users are from thread to thread.

*Seriously, SA is far creepier to individuals than 4chan is because channers are typically at least funny about it. Compare something like 4chan loving with Ben Garrison to Dubie's Doghouse. With Ben there's him making unintentionally funny legal threats, his continued reaction to obvious photoshops and more, with Dubie its what, him buying an oven fan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cliff Racer posted:

I think the content comes from the anonymity. Without a name the worst you can do, when you try something out, is fail at it. On SA people will follow you around dragging it up or give you a BRCT or just get real creepy about it.* So 4chan gets more content and most of it is worthless and forgotten within a day but enough lives on that it dwarfs SA's stuff. I've been part of small traditional (so SA-like rather than 4chan-like) forums before that have been amazing- you could post basically whatever you wanted there as long as it was within the bounds of the discussion and you wouldn't get poo poo. People might argue or downvote but ultimately discussion was judged by other members based on the merit of the posts rather than who was part of the in crowd or what other people were saying about it. These forums all lost that aspect as they grew and louder, less talented members moved in and started basing things on people's reputations rather than on what was actually being posted. I think the chans get around that with anonymity, you can't form cults of personality or hate a post based solely on who wrote it because you can't tell who the other users are from thread to thread.

*Seriously, SA is far creepier to individuals than 4chan is because channers are typically at least funny about it. Compare something like 4chan loving with Ben Garrison to Dubie's Doghouse. With Ben there's him making unintentionally funny legal threats, his continued reaction to obvious photoshops and more, with Dubie its what, him buying an oven fan?

If being made fun of hurts your feelings so much why are you still here? You a masochist or something?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Nintendo Kid posted:

If being made fun of hurts your feelings so much why are you still here? You a masochist or something?

I dunno, why are you here fishmech? The whole loving place hates you.

Seriously, you literally made the list not once but twice. Your name is a verb used to describe the negative practice of actually responding to the poo poo that comes out of your keyboard.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Cliff Racer posted:

You actually think getting a BRCT is worse than being doxed, or having the police called on you on false allegations, or having naked pictures of you sent to your family? Seriously?

You're tempting me to drop :10bux: to buy you one right now, you whiny baby.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 15, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cliff Racer posted:

Seriously, you literally made the list not once but twice. Your word is a verb used to describe the negative practice of actually responding to the poo poo that comes out of your keyboard.

Seriously you keep whining about how tough it is that you can't make racist jokes on SA (that's what everyone who says "well uh you can just be freer on 4chan maaaan" means after all) without getting made fun of, what's your problem?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I think its worse for a community to have its own members shamed like that. Having things done to outsiders does not affect the community in a negative way. Thats the difference, since 4chan usually pisses out of its tent people inside feel safe to try new ideas. Since SA pisses on its own members they don't.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Free speech arguments are 90% of the time a matter of whether you'd like your opinions suppressed by officialdom or by the weight of public opinion. Libertarian types tend to gravitate toward the latter. But genuine efforts at free speech (even leaving out outliers) are pretty rare. It's arguable how much you really want it in any case.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cliff Racer posted:

Seriously, you literally made the list not once but twice. Your name is a verb used to describe the negative practice of actually responding to the poo poo that comes out of your keyboard.

You seem, er, normal.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Cliff Racer posted:

I think its worse for a community to have its own members shamed like that. Having things done to outsiders does not affect the community in a negative way. Thats the difference, since 4chan usually pisses out of its tent people inside feel safe to try new ideas. Since SA pisses on its own members they don't.

So it's OK to ruin the lives of people outside the community who speak up against its awful behavior but it's deplorable to merely make fun of someone who acts like a jackass inside the community?

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

You can either be horrible to people you are familiar with, or you can be horrible to strangers. There are no other options.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

The difference is Nintendo kid gives no fucks about what people on the I the internet think of him, which is kind of a jerk behavior but respectable in its own way.

Cliff racer just said making fun of outsiders is fine, while white knighting an outside software construct in a thread about making fun of said message board for its detriment to positive societal outcomes.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cliff Racer posted:

Ah yes all those original ideas like:

Also again you deserve to be shamed repeatedly because your posting would generally trip the r9k bot.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

You can either be horrible to people you are familiar with, or you can be horrible to strangers. There are no other options.

No it's actually a choice between being rude to people you are familiar with and being maliciously, criminally cruel to outsiders.

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

01100110 01110101 01100011 01101011 01100101 01110010

Effectronica posted:

You seem, er, normal.

you too

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I hate that we're using old usenet discussions to paint a history of nerds being bad, because internet use wasn't even a common thing among nerds until the turn of the century. We're leaving out the nerds who didn't or couldn't have a voice on the internet somewhere and I'd like to think they were much better adjusted, especially since I hung out with a lot of them and I never once picked up on any racism, homophobia or any other bad social behavior. Maybe a bit of sexism, which got corrected.

Why can't we just accept that this is maybe a new problem that's a little harder to figure out than just repainting the past?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Woolie Wool posted:

So it's OK to ruin the lives of people outside the community who speak up against its awful behavior but it's deplorable to merely make fun of someone who acts like a jackass inside the community?

Our discussion was on why 4chan produces more, and better content. Meriflex said that he didn't think that the "reprehensible morality" of 4chan is what made it so good at producing content. I expanded on that by saying that the anonymity was what made it so good. Then went on to say that small forums with user names and post counts and such can get around that but after a certain point they are no longer able to.

But if you want to talk about ruining lives... Do you think its OK to ruin people's lives with stuff like this or the lady who lost her job because she made that AIDS joke a few years ago? Because the way a lot of people on SA post all of that is acceptable, as long as its going after targets or behaviors they don't like. Normally when I post this here someone will reply with something to the effect of, "ruining lives is good, when people who are racists/homophobes/MRAs/whatever are the ones being ruined." Nobody ever calls that person out. Its all two sides of the same coin.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Cliff Racer posted:

Our discussion was on why 4chan produces more, and better content. Meriflex said that he didn't think that the "reprehensible morality" of 4chan is what made it so good at producing content. I expanded on that by saying that the anonymity was what made it so good. Then went on to say that small forums with user names and post counts and such can get around that but after a certain point they are no longer able to.

But if you want to talk about ruining lives... Do you think its OK to ruin people's lives with stuff like this or the lady who lost her job because she made that AIDS joke a few years ago? Because the way a lot of people on SA post all of that is acceptable, as long as its going after targets or behaviors they don't like. Normally when I post this here someone will reply with something to the effect of, "ruining lives is good, when people who are racists/homophobes/MRAs/whatever are the ones being ruined." Nobody ever calls that person out. Its all two sides of the same coin.

Being a racist is bad, though. Being a woman who has opinions about video games is not bad.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Freakazoid_ posted:

I hate that we're using old usenet discussions to paint a history of nerds being bad, because internet use wasn't even a common thing among nerds until the turn of the century. We're leaving out the nerds who didn't or couldn't have a voice on the internet somewhere and I'd like to think they were much better adjusted, especially since I hung out with a lot of them and I never once picked up on any racism, homophobia or any other bad social behavior. Maybe a bit of sexism, which got corrected.

Why can't we just accept that this is maybe a new problem that's a little harder to figure out than just repainting the past?

It's highly likely that they were racist and sexist because America in general was highly racist and sexist 20-ish years ago.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Cliff Racer posted:

So do you think being a horrible bigot who laughs about the deaths of Mexicans and complaining about people being horrible bigots who laugh about the deaths of Mexicans are morally equivalent? Does someone have to strap you to a chair and read you a Herbert Marcuse tract re-written in a third grade level using the same voice that Ringo Starr used to narrate Thomas the Tank Engine?

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Cliff Racer you should start a thread about how bad SA is because apparently you're really eager to talk about that. Or heck, start a thread about sjws cause that's a topic you keep dancing around.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Effectronica posted:

You seem, er, normal.

you don't

take your meds

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Sharkie posted:

Cliff Racer you should start a thread about how bad SA is because apparently you're really eager to talk about that. Or heck, start a thread about sjws cause that's a topic you keep dancing around.

no, cliff racer's posts in this thread are actually good even if you think his opinions are poo poo

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Freakazoid_ posted:

I hate that we're using old usenet discussions to paint a history of nerds being bad,

Yo try reading the whole paragraph next time. I specifically went into way more than just usenet there.

Cliff Racer posted:

Our discussion was on why 4chan produces more, and better content.

Well that's a short one, it doesn't. Unless you just time traveled from like 2005.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Social pressure to discourage bad behavior with no threat of violence is preferable to trying to coerce people with force.

Unmoderated communication methods are an extension of libertarian philosophy and like all other instances works just fine until there's a group that's not an in group.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

blowfish posted:

no, cliff racer's posts in this thread are actually good even if you think his opinions are poo poo

No actually his posts are mostly :qq: aggrieved nerd blubbering with a side of tu quoque and he's probably going to start going on about :siren: CULTURAL MARXISM :siren: any minute.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

It's okay to hurt people, if you disagree with them, and I'm glad SA and 4chan can come together on this issue

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Gantolandon posted:

People who spend most of their time on forums try to analyze why some other people spend all of their time on other forums and call them shut-ins. :irony:

I will totally admit that I am a nerdy shut in and suck at having a social life. But I totally understand it's my problem, not the fault of some outside group that rejected me. That's why I wanted to make this thread. The idea that the people who rejected me before now want to enter "my world" is a bad thing or suggesting that there is something wrong means that my toys are going to be taken away is so alien to me and I want to try and understand it better.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 15, 2015

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

Woolie Wool posted:

So do you think being a horrible bigot who laughs about the deaths of Mexicans and complaining about people being horrible bigots who laugh about the deaths of Mexicans are morally equivalent?

i think they're morally equivalent because neither one matters

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
People who say "nerds are" almost always have a political position they're making. "Nerds are terrible" is generally the statement of a self-denying nerd, or a minority who feels nerd status is a product of the majority. "Nerds are great" from a self-aggrandizing nerd, etc.

In reality, a good survey would probably show nerds as roughly representative of society, with variations depending on the particulars.

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

Effectronica posted:

People who say "nerds are" almost always have a political position they're making. "Nerds are terrible" is generally the statement of a self-denying nerd, or a minority who feels nerd status is a product of the majority. "Nerds are great" from a self-aggrandizing nerd, etc.

In reality, a good survey would probably show nerds as roughly representative of society, with variations depending on the particulars.

yep

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Neeeeeeeerrrrrrrrds

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Effectronica posted:

I think everyone agrees that nerds would be roughly representative of the social groups they come from. I think people would disagree that nerds are representative of society since (at least historically) they are predominantly white men.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

RuanGacho posted:

Social pressure to discourage bad behavior with no threat of violence is preferable to trying to coerce people with force.

Unmoderated communication methods are an extension of libertarian philosophy and like all other instances works just fine until there's a group that's not an in group.
No, they all fail horribly for the same reason: they leave a power vacuum that the less discerning are more than happy to fill. The people most motivated to grab that power are going to be the most paranoid, the people who feel most under threat. Out-groups will be manufactured if they don't exist.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Why would anyone think this thread was a good idea

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

computer parts posted:

I think everyone agrees that nerds would be roughly representative of the social groups they come from. I think people would disagree that nerds are representative of society since (at least historically) they are predominantly white men.

males and white people are both more statistically likely to be on the autism spectrum, so that's why

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Nintendo Kid posted:

Well that's a short one, it doesn't. Unless you just time traveled from like 2005.

I'd like to point out that I don't think there's any way to quantify and as such empirically compare the content outputs of different internet communities, so stating that this or that community produces "more and better content" is pure supposition.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Gentlemen, we cannot allow a meme gap.

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

the most and best content right now is being made on tumblr

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Merdifex posted:

I'd like to point out that I don't think there's any way to quantify and as such empirically compare the content outputs of different internet communities, so stating that this or that community produces "more and better content" is pure supposition.

I'd say it did do it to an outscale amount for a short time, but quickly reverted to the mean of all large internet communities in general. It's not like their fault of course, any place that has a burst of good stuff is going to attract a lot of, shall we say, less innovative people in who can't really contribute in the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Merdifex posted:

You kind of can, but it's going to involve a certain amount of qualitative study no matter how you do it. You'd develop a set of things you wanted to measure, get your data sets, and do a content analysis. Something like "funnier" content is purely subjective, but things like "no. of positive replies per post" is somewhat less so.

• Locked thread