Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Well, let's get back to it.

Intro Guide
Base Rules
Lost Legion Rules
Getting Vassal Working

Thread 1 - Base Game Competitive
Thread 2 - Voltare Tough/Fair

What?

Mage Knight is the finest stomp-the-countryside simulator you'll ever see. Bridging an adventure game with a cardbuilding game with a living card game, it's up to the players to land their infamously powerful Evil Generals on the edge of an Atlantean continent, armed only with a deck of 16 cards whose effects range from 'hit poo poo' to 'block poo poo' to 'move my poo poo' to 'buy poo poo'. From there they must build their power, add new cards to their deck and new units to their army, and learn how best to combine efficiency with efficacy in order to ultimately reach the major cities of the region and flatten them into dirt. Lost Legions is the expansion that never should have been an expansion to begin with, an answer to the game's premature release due to financial concerns. It is, in effect, the 'complete' version of the game, adding many more cards and units to the stacks the players already face. It also includes Voltare, a famous general aligned against them that the players may have to fend off, or else race against.

I've run two of these threads by now, but you really can't have enough in the way of Mage Knight, so here I am again. Maybe one day I'll get to play? Maybe? Anyone?

So what's the plan?
  • This will be a four player competitive game, using Standard Conquest rules and Lost Legion tiles, just to get back into the swing of things and enjoy some good old fashioned stomping. In this mode, the players are not harassed by Voltare - they simply have to get to and take down the cities ahead of the other players.
  • Despite that, direct PVP is off because it sucks. You can still take over opponent keeps, however.
  • Standard houserule applies: if your first hand of the Round has no Move cards prior to Tactics choice, you may mulligan it.
  • When deciding your actions, please do as many actions as possible at once in bold. Obviously stop if you need a tile revealed, or an enemy piece - otherwise, try to bundle as much into a single post as possible. I'm only going to be double-checking your moves, rather than providing blow-by-blow feedback.
  • Off-turn posting, COs and peanut posting are all allowed (and encouraged).
Recruiting
  • I'm looking for four players. People new to the game are welcome and I will try to aid in your understanding of the rules, but be aware that Gutter Owl may just suddenly swoop by and dunk your score like a nerdy Batman.
  • PMs are required. Sorry! I need to provide links to your hand and it will help immeasurably if you have a way to provide me with COs and if I have a way to poke you if you're slow.
  • When signing up, please list your two preferred characters in order.
  • Recruitment will be open for 24 hours, whereupon selection will be by random draw.
  • I would like players who can check in at least once per day. Please note that I am in a new timezone, on a new laptop, and am using a new resolution and new software to make my updates. All of this may mean I'm a little slow until I get the workflow down, but by and large it shouldn't be a problem.
The Mage Knights
  • Arythea - focuses on spells and red mana.
  • Goldyx - focuses on mana in general.
  • Norowas - focuses on troop use.
  • Torak - focuses on block and not using mana.
  • Wolfhawk - focuses on ranged and movement.
  • Krang - focuses on refreshable skills.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 08:49 on May 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Subscribed, not so I can play, but so I can watch Gutter Owl gently caress everything up.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Never played before, would like to.

Uh... Goldyx and Krang, for preferences, I guess?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I'd like to sign up. Played a learning solo game literally yesterday, but what the hell. Better learn to run before you can walk. Would like to play Arythea followed by Goldyx

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I've never heard of this before, but this has sold me on it:

Stelas posted:

People new to the game are welcome and I will try to aid in your understanding of the rules, but be aware that Gutter Owl may just suddenly swoop by and dunk your score like a nerdy Batman.

Count me in

I'm good with Norowas or Krang.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

If I get enough people I will actively consider running a 'new people' game and a 'veterans' game side by side, god help me.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Also, for those of you new to the game: reading the Intro Guide will get you roughly up to speed on how to play, fight things, etc. but be aware there are lots of little things not mentioned in there that are covered by the main rules. I'll provide a reference sheet for monsters when we're actually underway.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm down for a newbie game

Wolfhawk and Goldyx

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Well talk me up why don't you.

Random character selection from whatever's left.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Oh drat is it finally time for me get my butt handed to me again?! I CAN"T WAIT :D

Tovak/Arythea for myself please.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I will play whichever game you want with whatever character you want.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Hopefully in. Arythea / Goldyx, or random from others.

I think the threat of PvP is a useful thing - particularly since people can otherwise just stand in places and block, or farm using all their cards more easily. But I'll play either way :)

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

rchandra posted:

I think the threat of PvP is a useful thing - particularly since people can otherwise just stand in places and block, or farm using all their cards more easily. But I'll play either way :)

The trouble is I tend to think the direct PVP rules are awful and I'm absolutely positive that trying to do them online would be incredibly fiddly as you'd have to keep going back and forth. Bear in mind you can still move through other players, so if someone gets to that ruin first it's kind of a shame but hey, you can at least keep on going.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

What do you even get for PVP? Unless it's something like jumping a certain amount of fame or even to the same fame level as the person you beat i don't see it being worth the extra hassle.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

You get the chance to boot the guy off whatever space he was on, the chance to wound him or his units, and a tiny amount of Fame if you're lower level (1 + (2 / level)).

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Stelas posted:

You get the chance to boot the guy off whatever space he was on, the chance to wound him or his units, and a tiny amount of Fame if you're lower level (1 + (2 / level)).

Also you can steal artefacts. Getting fame round one when you were the only one to not find a big enough enemy can be pretty big, or dish out a massive punishment for sitting in place trying to get 3 crystals from a mine with few cards at end of round.

I haven't gotten to try them out myself since my Mage Knight play is usually solo, co-op, or teaching :).

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Broken Loose posted:

Subscribed, not so I can play, but so I can watch Gutter Owl gently caress everything up.

I'll also be booing and heckling and pointing fingers.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Fat Samurai posted:

I'll also be booing and heckling and pointing fingers.

I've never played Mage Knight before but I intend to follow suit. This looks interesting.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I've never played Mage Knight before but I intend to follow suit. This looks interesting.

The boats we are in? They are the same one.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

RandallODim posted:

The boats we are in? They are the same one.

:hfive: Let us be clueless together, my friend.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Read this post from the last thread. If it gives you the feeling of “I have no idea what on Earth I just witnessed, but it was awesome!” you are in for a good time. :haw:

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
A Stelas game? Sign me up! (Never heard of the game so newbie here)

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Tippis posted:

Read this post from the last thread. If it gives you the feeling of “I have no idea what on Earth I just witnessed, but it was awesome!” you are in for a good time. :haw:

That is my go-to post when someone asks for a game where characters increase in power.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

For those people who are new to the game, I definitely recommend doing some extra reading before we start. Once you've got the idea of the game - especially things like playing cards sideways or combat or how to properly increase your power - it tends to be much simpler, but until then you're likely to be stumbling around and there's way too many rules for me to summarize. Check out the Intro Guide and the Rulebook(s) in the op, and then get yourself over to Ricky Royal's tutorial videos.

e: Also, note that the rules do not at any point list what site does what. That's okay - there'll be a reference post for those in the newbie game thread.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 13:18 on May 14, 2015

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Gutter Owl posted:

Well talk me up why don't you.

Random character selection from whatever's left.

You come at the king, you best not miss.

Let's do this thing. Random from the expansion characters if possible.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The results are:

Veteran's Game (this thread)
Istvun is Krang.
rchandra is Arythea.
Gutter Owl is Wolfhawk.
Bubble-T is Norowas.

Newbie Game (see here)
berenzen is Arythea.
CirclMastr is Goldyx.
Captain Bravo is Norowas.
Opopanax is Wolfhawk.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ROUND 1

The sun rises on the first day. Ahead of the Mage Knights lies the Atlantean Kingdom, its cities bolstered against their assault at level 8.

Please pick tactics in reverse order i.e. Bubble-T, Gutter Owl, rchandra, Istvun. Additionally, please let me know if any of the images are too small or too big or too fuzzy - I am dealing with a new resolution of laptop and new programs so my guesses may be a little off. Hands will be PMmed in just a moment.

Krang (Istvun) - 5 hand, 11 deck.
Arythea (rchandra) - 5 hand, 11 deck.
Wolfhawk (Gutter Owl) - 5 hand, 11 deck.
Norowas (Bubble-T) - 5 hand, 11 deck.
Unit Offer | Fame Tracker | City Status

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The screenshots other than the map might be a little fuzzy - I think I'm going to up the jpg quality on them from here on out. If the map starts to skirt close to 1Mb again I'll sign up for imgur properly.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Mana Steal please, taking the blue die.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Early Bird. That Monastery is mine.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Rethink discarding Promise, Tranquility, Swiftness. Not liking the starting tiles for my hand at all!

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
Planning I guess.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ROUND 1

It is Wolfhawk's Turn.

Wolfhawk (Gutter Owl) - 5 hand, 11 deck.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Play Mana Draw, take the gold and green mana. Play March (powered) and Stamina (powered) for Move 8.

Move to Monastery (checking out the wizards en route). End turn.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ROUND 1

It is Arythea's Turn.

Wolfhawk (Gutter Owl) - 5 hand, 8 deck.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Mana Pull (powered by white source die), setting both black dice to Green, add GG.
March (powered) + Stamina for Move 6, assaulting the mage tower (Rep -1).
Take 3 wounds to face and 3 to discard pile (ouch!).
Concentration (powered) on Swiftness to take out the Monks.

End turn
Level up + mage tower reward: probably taking ambush + Snowstorm or Steady tempo + restoration but I'd like to see my skills first, please. Also what level are the cities and what shape is the map?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

rchandra posted:

Also what level are the cities and what shape is the map?

Cities are 8, shape is a standard open wedge going out to 5 diagonals. One sec on the update...

e: Ah, I see the confusion. Yeah, ignore the shaded map tiles. They don't update properly on the vassal module.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 16, 2015

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Arythea levels from assaulting the Mage Tower.

Arythea draws:
Polarization - Once a turn, treat a mana token as a mana token of the opposite colour.
Healing Ritual - Once a round, except in combat, throw two Wounds out of your hand. One of them goes to the hand of the closest hero.

It is Norowas's Turn.

Wolfhawk (Gutter Owl) - 5 hand, 8 deck.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 16, 2015

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Take Healing Ritual, Blizzard, Ambush - send Invocation to common offer.

CO: use Healing Ritual: If more than one valid opponent: the one with the most Fame, or farthest from the portal, or standing on a tile with a feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

rchandra posted:

Invocation

Offers and hands have been updated, but it's worth double checking - you're sending Polarization to the offer, not Invocation.

• Locked thread