Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Stickarts posted:

Does Todd Bertuzzi have a brother? What's he up to these days?

No but he has a nephew

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=145020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Can any Rangers fans give an explanation as to what's going on with St. Louis this post-season? All of a sudden he looks like a shadow of his former self where a year ago he was still a regular threat and a few years ago he won the Art Ross. Has age just hit him like a freight train, or is there something more to it?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

The Pens for comparison have no first, third, or fourth this year, and no second rounder next year. Also they suck.

The Flames have 6 picks in the first three rounds this year, more than the Canucks have for the entire draft (5 - a first round pick then none until the 4th round).

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

HookShot posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with people?

I was at the Canucks 4OT game back in 2007 and it was deserted by the time the game was over.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

smokmnky posted:

Was that against the Sharks? I haven't been into hockey for very long but i remember watching a Sharks playoff game a few years ago that went like 3-4 OTs, it's pretty much what got me to start watching. Well that and the Blackhawks being really good

No against the Stars in 2007. It was one of the weirdest games I've ever seen. Going in both teams were super low scoring with all-star goaltenders (Turco for the Stars and Luongo for the Canucks). It was supposed to be a super low scoring series, but game 1 was a 4-4 all offence shootout through the first 3 periods. The game then suddenly transformed into the most mind numbing OT chess match I've ever seen, and is noteworthy only for how long it went and was arguably the least exciting playoff game I've ever been witness to. Some guy built a giant pyramid of beer cups on the edge of the glass, and half the crowd was watching him do it instead of the game. When Henrik Sedin finally ended the game with 2 minutes left in the 4th OT everyone sorta cheered once said "thank god its over" and ran for the exits.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

tofes posted:

The Sharks lost in 4OT to the Stars

Haha I totally forgot about that game. It was an elimination game too. Until last year, the Sharkiest ending to a series ever.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

That said, if you remove the South Side from crime statistics, Chicago would actually have the exact same homicide rate as Toronto.

If you removed the worst part of many cities it would have a remarkably lower homicide rate. Take Jane and Finch out of Toronto and maybe 5 people get killed a year.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

drat it, seems like I missed the first really good hockey game of these playoffs last night. :mad:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Winning the Hart trophy essentially assured Perry a place in the HHoF. Getzlaf is a serious question as he's not won any individual awards, but he'll likely get in on his international play.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ross Angeles posted:

Anaheim/Tampa will be a cool SCF.

And borderline ruinous for the sport in comparison to the ratings a Rangers/Hawks final would bring.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Wonderllama posted:

whatever happened to southern hospitality?

Florida doesn't count as the south

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Blackhawks fans don't have the first idea what an actually bad coach is like.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

onemillionzombies posted:

Oh he's very competent at certain aspects of coaching. He's also enjoying a very deep roster with numerous future HoFers, Olympians and probably one of the more impressive scouting/farming systems in the entire league. All of this covers up for his numerous fuckups and makes him look like a genius when he pairs Kane with Toews and they start scoring goals.

Every coach will make some puzzling choices, and of course will benefit from the quality of the roster they have to work with. By every metric imaginable he's been a fantastic NHL coach, arguably tops in the league (wins, possession stats, Stanley Cups, playoff appearances, etc.). I'll agree it was a strange decision to scratch Vermette last night, but there were apparently reasons for doing so that have not been elaborated on. If the Hawks had won it would've been largely a non-issue, and with a 2-1 loss it's not like they were blown out or anything.

Every coach will seemingly promote players that are undeserving and demote/scratch players that seem to be working well. Even the best coaches have bizarre attachments to certain players, and hatred for others. Fans also tend to see past the flaws of younger players that are glaringly obvious in older players because of the nebulous concept of potential, and as a result many coaches are accused of having a 'no rookies' bias. It's really a rock and a hard place for them, and there are of course times when very good coaches make very poor personnel decisions.

With that said, I really don't see what coach Q has done to draw much criticism at all. He's managed to keep a (albeit very talented) core together and successful while seeing his secondary cast stripped away for cap reasons several times. If he'd won one cup and crashed out a couple years later then fine maybe he'd be deserving of some criticism, but he's won two and at the same time the Hawks have been regularly among the top 2 or 3 teams in the league. The only year in the last 6 I can think of the Hawks not being cup contenders was 2011 and even then they came within a goal of knocking off the President's trophy winners and eventual cup finalists.

A loss sucks, but it's like the Hawks have been seriously outclassed by the Ducks here. Even if they're knocked out, it's hardly Quenville's fault. You can't win 'em all.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

R.D. Mangles posted:

I defy you to find a hockey coach with a better hockey mustache than Joel Quenneville.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Isn't there usually a doldrums around this time of the playoffs anyways? Plus it was a Friday night game. Considering most people go out and do things on a Friday it's hardly surprising it was a short thread.

I will say there feels like there are less "storylines" (whatever that means) this year. Someone's mom needs to die spice things up again.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Wonderllama posted:

If only the Vancouver Canucks were still in the hunt then that rich tapestry of a well spun narrative story would be unleashed upon us. but alas we get the Rangers/Hawks that we deserve.

If would test my conjecture that the closer Luca Sbisa gets to a championship the chances of the universe suddenly ending without warning rapidly approaches 100%.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

juche mane posted:

Clutch isn't real. Motivation isn't real. Human nature is a static set of properties in one single universal CSS file. Nobody is ever better at certain times and worse at others, at anything, ever.

"Clutchness" is almost entirely confirmation bias. There is absolutely no statistical evidence in any sport that certain players will consistently perform better in pressure situations than others of a similar talent level. While I still believe in qualities like leadership and that checkers can bring things that aren't necessarily reflected in possession stats, saying that one player is more motivated in a playoff game than another is silly.

One or two noteworthy incidences will quickly establish someone's reputation, despite those being simply moments of expected variability. Drury scored a couple late goals and he's a clutch performer, Datsyuk had a couple disappointing playoffs early in his career and he was a choker. Things quickly turned around for both players with Datsyuk playing very well in the playoffs and Drury doing very little, but one someone has a label attached to them it's very hard to shake it.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Popete posted:

Clutch is just the ability of someone to perform competently under pressure. Some people handle the spotlight better then others. I'm not sure why that is so unbelievable for people to grasp. I guess since you can't easily put it under a stat column, but it's a legitimate thing. How much you want to put into "he's clutch" when making player acquisitions is another argument entirely. But I don't think it's that far fetched to say some people perform differently under playoff circumstances.

Except people have looked at the phenomenon of clutchness countless times through pretty much every angle imaginable and there has never been any evidence to suggest that certain people perform better than usual under pressure situations. We simply remember the dramatic moments, and forget the shots that go wide with 5 seconds to go. Even in basketball which is a MUCH more individual sport than hockey, the players with a reputation for being clutch perform at pretty much the level expected of them. One or two successful attempts and a reputation is created.

Star players are the ones out in the final seconds of a game because they're better than a fourth line forward, so they're far more likely to score a dramatic last minute goal or make a last second shot block. No one is throwing Tanner Glass on the ice with 30 seconds to go when down by a goal (okay maybe AV would). So it appears that Kane is clutch because he's on the ice late in games when dramatic moments are most likely to happen (because a game winner from a 3rd liner with 12 minutes to go isn't exactly thrilling), which gives him more opportunities than others to make the "clutch" play. He darts across the blueline (making a riskier play than usual because it matters less if he turns it over) and drives the net. If it goes in, wow he's clutch. If it doesn't (which will happen as often late in a playoff game as it would in the first period of an October game against the Senators) the Blackhawks lose oh well the team's PK sucked on that night or the coach scratched the wrong player.

Yes they are human beings and some are better at things than others, but there is nothing on this planet that suggests clutchness in pro-sports exists. These are professional athletes, and even the worst NHLers are among the top 0.01% of hockey players on earth.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

bewbies posted:

Mess played 236 playoff games in a 18 year window, Roy played 247 in the same. That's many times the number required to comfortably eliminate random variation as an explanation.

A much simpler explanation is that Messier didn't make the playoffs in the last seven years of his career. His numbers up to 96/97 were 1552pts in 1272 games. Aka a ppg of 1.22 compared to 1.25 ppg in the playoffs. He performed exactly as he was supposed to.

Clutch ain't real in team sports. I can KINDA buy the pressure thing in individual sports, but it's a non-entity in something that isn't a single repeatable act like a football kick or golf swing.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

bewbies posted:

Even if you delete his last 7 years his playoff numbers are still better, though the margin is a lot closer (1.22 vs 1.25). I'm not in a position where I can do the math but I'm willing to bet that is still a statistically significant difference.

If he scored at exactly the same rate during the playoffs as he did in the regular season he'd has 288 points, 7 less than he actually did. His PPG was better in the playoffs than the regular season 7 times out of 17 (41.17% of the time).

I will admit a strong personal bias against Messier as a Canucks fan though.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

ZenVulgarity posted:

Are the rangers failures if they don't win the cup??

No, but they've bet pretty hard they'll win it in the next couple years having had no first round picks in three straight years and traded a bunch of good young players.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Basically Boston 2011

Never happened. They cancelled the Stanley Cup Finals that year. Please don't spread misinformation.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Conn Smythe Memorial Trophy for Okay, I Guess

There's a lot of those this season.

Last year the Conn Smythe was literally awarded to a guy because people noticed he'd had a disproportionate amount of success in Game 7s throughout his career. I'm not really sure it means all that much as a trophy these days.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

And the year before Patrick Kane came out of left field too.

Yeah, he was sorta 'best among a bunch of players who played well but weren't spectacular.' The last time the Conn Smythe was an obvious decision was 2012 (2011 too sadly - Thomas would've won even if the Canucks took game 7). It'll go to whoever ends up with a bunch of points in the finals this year I guess.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

It's okay. Everybody liked Tim Thomas in 2011. You can admit it.

I didn't.

My brother was working at the hotel where the Bruins were staying in 2011 and the morning of game 7 he had a straight shot at Tim Thomas as he walked across the lobby and he DIDN'T dive tackle his knee. I will never forgive him for that.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

RC Cola posted:

I don't take back any of the things that I said.

Want Clendenning back? I'm cool with just reversing that trade.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Apparently that was Anaheim's first regulation loss all playoffs.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

LmaoTheKid posted:

Meanwhile at MSG the average price is ~1500 with 700 being the cheapest.

Stubhub has a bunch under $600 at the moment

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Conflating professional sports and the military has been a very successful recruitment tool for armed forces in North America. It's an easy audience of young males and you get to show off the supposed positives of the military (widespread public adoration) without any of the downsides (dying in a needless war). It's shameless and exploitative, but sadly not going away anytime soon.

I'd usually link to the Propagahndi song "Dear Coach's Corner," but it appears they've removed everything but live versions from youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

toe knee hand posted:

I remember that show! It wasn't bad, but it was very very Canadian.

And who can forget MVP: the Secret Lives of Hockey Wives?

Apparently it was called Trophy Wives in the UK which is a much, much better title. Shame it was a god awful show based on a not quite so awful British one.

• Locked thread