Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
http://www.engadget.com/2015/05/13/...campaign=buffer

quote:

RadioShack's brand will live on. According to The Wall Street Journal, the retailer's label assets have been purchased by Standard General LP, a hedge fund, for $26.2 million. Along with the trademark, other undisclosed intellectual property was also included in the bankruptcy auction, which took place Monday in New York. But what exactly is Standard General LP's vision? It plans to rebuild and rebrand. The firm is reportedly looking to overhaul RadioShack's brand around a "streamlined array of necessities," that are going to be sold alongside wireless products from Sprint. The carrier, of course, has kept close tabs on the electronics chain's Chapter 11 woes. Just last month, it opened its own stores inside existing RadioShack locations, which would otherwise now be defunct.

I used to work at RadioShack. I can't believe that this company is still trucking. Who the gently caress is still going to RadioShack? Unless you're moving to Europe and need a power adapter the entire store is loving useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bowlcutbarricade
Dec 27, 2014

Neither will I

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
I bought some capacitors and resistors from Radio Shack once.

H T H

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Bowlcutbarricade posted:

Neither will I

Unknowable Hole
Feb 2, 2005

Pillbug
I bought a headphone splitter there on short notice before a trip this year, everyone else there was really mad and arguing with the employees about cell phones I think.

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014
lmao 26 million

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
The future will be shipping crate homes, warehouses, and radioshacks.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
the one in the hamptons is doing really well at capitalizing on their one remaining market of rich people who forgot their phone chargers

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
Radioshack was a good place when they sold all sorts of parts. Then they became an annoying cell phone dealership, but some of them still sold parts in the back (if you asked about them, they'd just point you to the back and you'd have to rummage on your own while they tried to sell someone a warranty on batteries). Hopefully, good things come to Radioshack.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Why don't cellphones have solar panels on them that mildly keep the phone charged all day?

er....

patent pending

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

drowningidiot posted:

lmao 26 million

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Shadow posted:

Why don't cellphones have solar panels on them that mildly keep the phone charged all day?

er....

patent pending

Too late. They invented a type of glass that acts as a mediocre solar panel and they will be using it for cellphone glass.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Windows 98 posted:

Too late. They invented a type of glass that acts as a mediocre solar panel and they will be using it for cellphone glass.

GOD
DAMNIT

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

cell phones and cell phone accessories

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Windows 98 posted:

And then you put your phone in your pocket.

It'd be better if you made a phone that charged off your body heat (also something people are trying to do).

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Where else will I get that hard-to-find capacitor, phono cartridge, nonstandard battery, or bizarre A/V adapter or patch cable I need, especially on short notice when I can't wait for mail order delivery? Also, why doesn't Radio Shack bring back their quality and fairly-priced "Realistic" line of amplifiers, receivers, and speakers?

RS abandoned all the stuff they were good at, at in hopes of making a a quick buck selling phone plans and garbage that didn't really even belong to their own brands.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

burritolingus posted:

And then you put your phone in your pocket.

It'd be better if you made a phone that charged off your body heat.

Yes but every time you are using it the phone is out in the open and charging against your battery being wasted

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Windows 98 posted:

Yes but every time you are using it the phone is out in the open and charging against your battery being wasted

Every time I'm using it out in broad daylight, which isn't very often, it'll charge a minuscule amount.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

RadioShack was, at one point, a great and very cheap place to get all kinds of electrical poo poo if you were a do-it-yourselfer who didn't fear mucking about to fix electronics. That was likely not very profitable at all, so instead they decided to ruin themselves in a blind quest for money.

lovely part is that it worked for a short while and the rear end in a top hat executives that ran the brand into the ground still made a shitload of money that they'll keep, while a whole bunch of people are now or soon to be unemployed.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Cubey posted:

RadioShack was, at one point, a great and very cheap place to get all kinds of electrical poo poo if you were a do-it-yourselfer who didn't fear mucking about to fix electronics. That was likely not very profitable at all, so instead they decided to ruin themselves in a blind quest for money.

I think it's more profitable to corner a niche market like that then to try to take on the Walmarts of the world.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I think the last time I was in a radio shack was like 2010 and I'm pretty sure they had a few things in stock that had been there since before I was born.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

burritolingus posted:

I think it's more profitable to corner a niche market like that then to try to take on the Walmarts of the world.

More profitable in the long-term, absolutely. Businesspeople don't think about anything other than the very short-term, however.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Yeah, I just don't get it. If you need something pretty quick and they carry it, fine, but 9 times out of 10, if you can wait a single day and have Amazon Prime, pay the $4 and it'll be there tomorrow.

Radio Shack should just have an Amazon store and offer same day shipping for free.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

burritolingus posted:

though you're kinda screwed when your niche market barely exists anymore and internet competition sells everything you do for 1/4 the price

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

though you're kinda screwed when your niche market barely exists anymore and internet competition sells everything you do for 1/4 the price

Back in the day I seem to remember RadioShack charging extremely low prices for general electronic poo poo. Online would still likely be cheaper but not by enough for it to really affect RadioShack all that much.

Now they charge 23 dollars for loving SATA cables. Like what the poo poo, seriously? It's pretty sad that the last time I went there was for SATA cables and when I asked for them, the dude at the counter straight-up told me 'yeah we have them but they're really expensive, you should probably buy them somewhere else'.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Last time I was in RadioShack I was gonna buy a phone, but the sales reps ignored me and 2 of the associates were helping one person by a phone... So I just left and went to Best Buy. That's my RadioShack story.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Do they still have like 3-4 people working for literally 0-1 customer?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Most of the people in this thread are posting from a RadioShack right now.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Cubey posted:

Back in the day I seem to remember RadioShack charging extremely low prices for general electronic poo poo. Online would still likely be cheaper but not by enough for it to really affect RadioShack all that much.

Now they charge 23 dollars for loving SATA cables. Like what the poo poo, seriously? It's pretty sad that the last time I went there was for SATA cables and when I asked for them, the dude at the counter straight-up told me 'yeah we have them but they're really expensive, you should probably buy them somewhere else'.

You also have to think about shipping. If you just need, like, an RF Switch, they'll charge you one to five (or ten if they're real assholes) bucks shipping even though it's tiny. RadioShack would be the cost of gas, and if you're already in the area, it's not even that.

Cubey posted:

More profitable in the long-term, absolutely. Businesspeople don't think about anything other than the very short-term, however.

That's probably it. The strategy was "cash grab, then dump."

burritolingus fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 14, 2015

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
are they really still open? i was wondering the other morning cause i need a new adapter for my headphones

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Most are gone from the closings earlier this year. the rest are sprint stores with some radioshack stuff in them.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I just acquired 100 lbs of accessory poo poo from someone whos radio shack just went under, they're not even shipping poo poo back to the warehouses to be sold bulk.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
I once bought light bulbs to go behind the red 25 cent plastic coin accepting bits for a Robocop arcade cabinet at radio shack.

So hey, useful exactly once.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Cyberball 2072 posted:

I once bought light bulbs to go behind the red 25 cent plastic coin accepting bits for a Robocop arcade cabinet at radio shack.

So hey, useful exactly once.

i had to go to the grocery store next to radioshack at like 7 pm because the radioshack was closed.

they really just needed to increase their supply of reasonable poo poo instead of random bullshit no one buys

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

burritolingus posted:

You also have to think about shipping. If you just need, like, an RF Switch, they'll charge you one to five (or ten if they're real assholes) bucks shipping even though it's tiny. RadioShack would be the cost of gas, and if you're already in the area, it's not even that.

Chinese webshops won' t charge shipping. It might be a few weeks till your poo poo gets there but it will be cheap.

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FCioWz7aps

last week tonight

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
solar panels are stupid because if we all used them there wouldn't be enough sun left over to keep us warm

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

plain blue jacket posted:

solar panels are stupid because if we all used them there wouldn't be enough sun left over to keep us warm

Why do you hate jobs, hippie?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I once bought a coax cable that I didnt even need

that's my radioshack story. foolishes like me keep this place afloat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

becrumbac
Apr 25, 2012

LeoMarr posted:

I just acquired 100 lbs of accessory poo poo from someone whos radio shack just went under, they're not even shipping poo poo back to the warehouses to be sold bulk.

i used to work for a retail chain in another country that's essentially a poor man's radioshack, down to the expensive cables and failing business. after radioshack closed we got a gently caress ton of radioshack poo poo that was marked up 500%+++ over what was paid for it. the irony was not lost on us.

• Locked thread