Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded
Previously posted in GBS, with predictable flak. Hoping for a more measured response here. They suggested I take a selfie.
Shmucks.

In another thread, someone mentioned "handgun cams".

I am an engineer and something of an inventor, and many ideas I have had later appeared in the market, dammit.

here is how I would do the "Witness Cam", as I term it.

It would be a self-contained cylindrical object, mounted like a scope, on the barrel of the weapon, bore-sighted to the barrel.It could be quite small-I think 8mm is doable-smaller than the bullet. A 10 mm diameter is much easier.

no external connections of any kind would penetrate the casing of the cam. this is an important point.

The power source would be like that of certain smart artillery shells- an annular coil over a magnet driven backwards through the magnetic field by the recoil impulse yielding a single (sizable energy)pulse of current which then charges a capacitor-providing sufficient voltage to power the electronics for the seconds required to strike the target.
no internal battery or external power source is required.

the front of the witness cam would carry a sapphire window, behind which would be a fast CCD camera chip, flash memory,CPU and encrypted optical data link interface (through the same window the cam looks through). All of this to be built with chip-on-ceramic substrate methods for maximum G force resistance.

Now here is the legalese.
The witness cam is a sealed and welded hermetic unit,carrying data accessible only to those in charge that hold the password (keyed to the serial number of the individual cam-keyed to the serial number of the weapon it is installed on)to access the video.
It cannot be corrupted, altered, or obscured without the password, and is therefore admissible as evidence.Any tampering would be traceable.

Sequence:
1. the gun is fired. the bullet travels out. there is a bright muzzle flash. the power coil moves rapidly back against the magnet in response to the recoil impulse and powers up the electronics.
2. the electronics delays some milliseconds to let the obscuring light of the muzzle flash dissipate.
3. when ambient light is clear, the CCD camera takes one or many shots of the area surveyed by the bore-sight FOV. Deflection of the image view upwards due to recoil kick is handled by a wide enough FOV or later image frames.
4. images are stored in Flash to be later recovered by investigators, using an optical link through the camera window.
I did not previously publish this, because this is just the sort of thing the Feds might mandate on all guns as a measure of gun control- but if these things were mandated on Police guns and other guns in the hands of authority, it could remove much doubt and fog from these incidents.

Is this feasible?

I welcome questions/suggestions, Goons? I think this gadget is a flawless solution to who shot who and why.
Seriously.

Kickstarter?

I could build this now with access to certain tools.

MY INVENTION! MINE! MINE!

zimboe fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded
I think I will post this in the Goons with Guns thread, though they wont like the concept at all, I think.
I need data on recoil force and travel for typical handguns- taking the Browning Hi-Power as a benchmark.
seriously thinking about a Kickstarter.

morilen
Jan 28, 2009
My first thought was you would miss everything that lead up to the shooting if it only started recording when the gun was fired. Otherwise it sounds like an interesting idea.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

What about kickback?

Seems like it should start taking photos as soon as the safety is off.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

How would you power the system to get the data off? Inductive power?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
You sound like a real ideas guy op...just the kind of person we need - to poop on.

More seriously this sounds like a complex project that a single person could never do, and I'm not terribly sure you could run something as sensitive as a processor or camera of the very unpredictable and short impulse from your simple generator. Like I think simply capturing that power efficiently + handling it is going to be the hardest problem.

Or you could just - get this - use a loving battery that is required to be charged while an officer is on duty, then just take a picture when they fire - kind of like those cameras they use to take pictures of wildlife. Seems simpler to me.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

wanna see them sick 360 headshots where do i donate?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

rudatron posted:

You sound like a real ideas guy op...just the kind of person we need - to poop on.

More seriously this sounds like a complex project that a single person could never do, and I'm not terribly sure you could run something as sensitive as a processor or camera of the very unpredictable and short impulse from your simple generator. Like I think simply capturing that power efficiently + handling it is going to be the hardest problem.

Or you could just - get this - use a loving battery that is required to be charged while an officer is on duty, then just take a picture when they fire - kind of like those cameras they use to take pictures of wildlife. Seems simpler to me.

The answer to this already exists, and my company sells them. Let me know if anyone runs a police station and wants to buy a few dozen. I'll give you a good deal!

Also good for putting funny foot chases on Youtube via FOIA requests.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Guessing you stopped reading before my question in GBS, so here it is with caps and punctuation: What's to stop someone good with Photoshop or the Internet from taping a fake/modified picture over the camera?

e: relooking, this is clearly not meant for civilians but I could see corrupt departments overlooking modified cameras or rules about ensuring they aren't tampered with and it's not like the average civilian is going to know what the camera part is supposed to look like

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 15, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Guessing you stopped reading before my question in GBS, so here it is with caps and punctuation: What's to stop someone good with Photoshop or the Internet from taping a fake/modified picture over the camera?

e: relooking, this is clearly not meant for civilians but I could see corrupt departments overlooking modified cameras or rules about ensuring they aren't tampered with and it's not like the average civilian is going to know what the camera part is supposed to look like

Now I'm imagining cops walking around with this picture taped to the end of their gun barrels.

"Yep. Looks legit." :downs:

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
who shot WHOM

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Make sure you market this as a "kill cam" in the most dog-whistling manner possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
So if the cop knows the situation is morally tricky, he just slides his finger over the lens while he fires?

• Locked thread