Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
David Lynch made The Elephant Man. Super good movie, stars Anthony Hopkins, Mel Brooks produced it. No one remembers Lynch directed it (and cowrote the screenplay).

Even fewer people remember Lynch made The Straight Story, which is a really gorgeously panoramic, totally touching movie about a guy driving a tractor across country.

Peter Jackson made Meet the Feebles and Dead Alive and Bad Taste, but goons probably remember those. My wife refuses to believe that Meet the Feebles exists and I've forced her to watch it.

Akira Kurosawa made, like, a loving metric poo poo tonne of good movies, the majority of which you've probably never heard of and many of which aren't available subbed into English at all.

Oh poo poo, and Miyazaki made Porco Rosso.

There are a bunch of really good Coen brothers movies you've probably forgotten about the existence of, like The Hudsucker Proxy, or Crimewave, or The Man Who Wasn't There (o.k., that's actually not too great, but a lot of it was filmed in Santa Rosa)

Really makes you think how many deep cuts and b-sides you're totally missing out on by your favorite directors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

You have quite a treasure there...
Is Porco Rosso good? It's the only Miyazaki one I haven't seen because, well, pigs...

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001
Anything directed by Michael Bay is hellah good.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

anything by george lucas which isn't star wars

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

porco rosse is one his of his best and you can get almost any kurosawa in english. good luck to everyone in watching movies

john carpenter made some good movies (and a lot of bad ones) in between his more famous ones no one remembers like dark star and in the mouth of madness

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Darf posted:

Is Porco Rosso good? It's the only Miyazaki one I haven't seen because, well, pigs...

Porco Rosso is great. It's Air pirate/fighter ace battles in ww1/ww2 interim Italy/Mediterranean Sea. It's really loving pretty, there's some intrigue to the main characters and their relationships, best of all it's funny and light hearted. There is no giant-cat-rabbit-is-metaphor-for-dying-mother kind of heavyness, just the singer being in love with the dude who got turned into a pig but not wanting to love him because pilots always end up prematurely dead. Everyone smokes cigarettes and drinks wine constantly.

e: you should watch Whisper of the Heart too because it's super painfully teen romance. Countly load taeka me hormm.

Sizone fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 14, 2015

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Sizone posted:

Even fewer people remember Lynch made The Straight Story, which is a really gorgeously panoramic, totally touching movie about a guy driving a tractor across country.

I saw this about 20 years ago on a BA trans-Atlantic flight where you had no choice about the film (it was projected on a screen in the front of the movie). We didn't have headphones and were in the row directly in front of the screen. It was oddly beautiful to look at, even without the sound.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Danny DeVito directed Death to Smoochy.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Apparently Steve Martin, Lorne Michaels, and Randy Newman wrote Three Amigos.

huh

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
paul from dave letterman wrote it's raining men but that isn't a movie so idk

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Ms Boods posted:

I saw this about 20 years ago on a BA trans-Atlantic flight where you had no choice about the film (it was projected on a screen in the front of the movie). We didn't have headphones and were in the row directly in front of the screen. It was oddly beautiful to look at, even without the sound.

You should watch it with sound because it's a legit good movie

rich white faglord
May 13, 2015

by Ralp
I really liked Scary Movie

I didnt like the penist though (too many jews)

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
Dave Foley's The Wrong Guy is the funniest movie I've ever seen and no one has heard of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyXoM-62lX0

rich white faglord
May 13, 2015

by Ralp
Juno and Nick and Norahs Infinite Playlist were also good but I could do with less Kat "Katherine Litwack" Dennings (jewish)

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

THX 1138 and Duel (directed by Lucas and Spielberg) are supposed to be really good, but I have not seen them tbqh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/THX_1138

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duel_%281971_film%29

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
Tobe Hooper pretended to direct Poltergeist and it was the only good movie besides The Texas Chain Saw Massacre that he ever had anything to do with.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Mystery, Alaska. Russel Crowe, and the drunk Irish star trek guy gets cucked lmbo also a great movie

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Brendan Fraser starred in "Gods and Monsters", along with Ian McKellan and Lynn Redgrave. It's about the last days of James Whale's life (Whale directed the original "Frankenstein").

When you see Fraser's performance, you will forgive him any number of George of the Jungles.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
Motherfucker I have seen ALL of Kurosawa's movies and not only did I already know David Lynch directed Elephant Man I already knew that Mel Brooks produced it. In fact I know EVEN MORE then that because Mel Brooks decided to get David Lynch on as director for Elepheant Man after seeing Eraserhead in theaters. To the point where he supposedly came out of the theater saying to himself 'I've found the guy for Elephant Man' or something along those lines. so gently caress you buddy i know lots of poo poo

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
Orson Welles made a version of The Trial that is his best movie imo but literally no one ever seems to talk about it or remember it exists.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
people talk about nick cage a lot, like "oh he's so good" or "nah he's poo poo" and they start listing his movies but no one mentions wild at heart and i don't get it. do they just not know about it? like why talk about cage if you're not gonna talk about him wearin a cool snakeskin jacket and tryin sooooooo hard to be an elvis?

Davincie posted:

in the mouth of madness

yeah this movie is good as gently caress and no one remembers it :(

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

rich white faglord posted:

I could do with less Kat "Katherine Litwack" Dennings (jewish)

well yeah there is an awful lot of her (boobs) (jewish)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Kumo posted:

THX 1138 and Duel (directed by Lucas and Spielberg) are supposed to be really good, but I have not seen them tbqh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/THX_1138

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duel_%281971_film%29

THX 1138 is really bad. REALLY bad. In fact, so is American Graffiti.

Star Wars not being a pile of poo poo was a miracle of editing.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
star wars is an ok kids movie but not really that good

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
operation dumbo drop starring lloyud maronety4

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Dyna Soar posted:

star wars is an ok kids movie but not really that good

heh look at this dumb loving human being

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Peter Jackson also directed The Frighteners and it's surprisingly good.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
beautiful creatures is his best if you dont count bad taste or braindead

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

Cubey posted:

THX 1138 is really bad. REALLY bad. In fact, so is American Graffiti.

Star Wars not being a pile of poo poo was a miracle of editing.

i thought american graffiti would be like the cool fonzy show and no, no it wasn't

A Winner is Jew posted:

Peter Jackson also directed The Frighteners and it's surprisingly good.

gently caress yes really good flick

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
I've never heard anyone refer to True Lies as a James Cameron movie.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Duel was a really good Spielberg movie, but then everybody forgot about it once Jaws happened.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
Multi-talented composer/director/writer Alejandro Amenabar, who goons will likely associate with 'The Others', starring Nicole Kidman, also made a really good movie called 'The Sea Inside' starring Javier Bardem, who played the goon hero ugly sociopath in No Country for Old Men. It's free to stream on netflix and everyone should go watch it.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Re-Animator, the stupidly amazing 1985 adaption of a tragically racist HP Lovecraft story, was directed by Stuart "the guy who made Honey I Shrunk the Kids" Gordon.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Tiny Lowtax posted:

You should watch it with sound because it's a legit good movie

It [Staight Story] is on youtube, yay!

Getting a lot of good ideas from this thread, actually.

Re-Animator is amusing if you're in the right kind of mood. I gave it to someone with some other like-themed presents for Easter one year.

Dunno if this falls into the obscure catagory, but Nicholas Roeg's Castaway is beautifully filmed (bonus so if you're inclined to admire many, many shots of Amanda Donahoe's breasts).

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

How in the hell did I manage to post twice.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
idk man, weird poo poo

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009
It [Straight Story] is on youtube, yay!

Getting a lot of good ideas from this thread, actually.

Re-Animator is amusing if you're in the right kind of mood. I gave it to someone with some other like-themed presents for Easter one year.

Dunno if this falls into the obscure catagory, but Nicholas Roeg's Castaway is beautifully filmed (bonus so if you're inclined to admire many, many shots of Amanda Donahoe's breasts).

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Wanamingo posted:

Re-Animator, the stupidly amazing 1985 adaption of a tragically racist HP Lovecraft story, was directed by Stuart "the guy who made Honey I Shrunk the Kids" Gordon.

more people probably recognize his name from re-animator though

like who watches HISTK and is like oh wow stuart gordon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Ok, there's gremlins in the system or something.

• Locked thread