Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah but just because someone is a woman doesn't mean she represents a feminist viewpoint.
Agreed. However, even among feminists, how many of them date men who dress in an unconventional way? Can you think of any examples from your personal experience?

quote:

A reasonable feminist (based on actual feminist leaders and their works) would say you should be allowed to wear whatever the gently caress you want regardless of sex or gender.
Also agreed. However, what are the chances of man dressing this way finding a partner, vs a woman who does the same?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Giblet Plus! posted:

Agreed. However, even among feminists, how many of them date men who dress in an unconventional way? Can you think of any examples from your personal experience?

i cannot even imagine a line of thinking that could result in you arriving at this conclusion :psyboom:

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
if you identify as an MRA you commit the gravest of sins, being fanatical about something

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

Giblet Plus! posted:

Also agreed. However, what are the chances of man dressing this way finding a partner, vs a woman who does the same?

Uh, literally like all my friends? Have you ever been to a large city? I have dude friends that wear some outlandish poo poo and are drowning in feminist pussy. Also, I know tons of non-gender conforming women who are swimming in dick too. Sorry you live in normcoreville USA i guess?

himajinga fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 14, 2015

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
assuming the weird internet nutjobs you occasionally see yelling about inane poo poo are representative of mras as a whole, the problem with mras is that they attribute problems caused by politicians and corporations to random, unrelated women, solely because they are sexually frustrated. hope this lazy seriouspost helps, op

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
hi im your genetic and intellectual superior so do you want to go out sometime?

why is every girl a goddamn feminazi bitch! friendzoned again!

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
OP: MRAs believe in a thought structure that utilized something called "Confirmation Bias" hope this helps good luck have fun

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

himajinga posted:

Uh, literally like all my friends? Have you ever been to a large city? I have dude friends that wear some outlandish poo poo and are drowning in feminist pussy.

How unconventional? Like skirts and leggings level unconventional? Or just different cuts and colors?

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
lmao are there actual mras posting itt. there are arent there

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Giblet Plus! posted:

a lot of bad outfits hth

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

like, the people who are most conservative regarding the way males dress are people who live in areas that also have conservative values regarding family life. feminists usually live in large cities where people care far loving less about how one another dress. go to portland some time, where every man dresses gay as poo poo and every woman is a giant feminist.

i just can't understand how someone can be this oblivious.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Unrelated to the discussion, the two years since I've been considering myself an active feminist have contained more sex-having than the entire time I was alive before that. It's weird how women want to gently caress you more when you treat them like equal human beings. The irony for me is that if MRAs accepted that equality is a good thing and treated women as peers instead of gently caress targets, they would start getting all this sex they have been denied their entire lives

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Giblet Plus! posted:

Can I see a picture of undateable unconventional guy clothing you'd like to wear? Also a pic of the women's that is acceptable. It will save this thread, promise.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Giblet Plus! posted:

How unconventional? Like skirts and leggings level unconventional? Or just different cuts and colors?

have you ever taken public transit in a city of any meaningful size

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Giblet Plus! posted:

I kind of see your point, and I will say that I think most 'feminists' are just white women who want to be able to have careers and don't give a poo poo about minority rights at all (my gf's mom is one of those).

However I might not be the best person to ask re unconventional dress because I live in CA and my friends are not really a conventional bunch to begin with. One of my friends (who is a girl) has had a birthday party which was a theme costume party and the theme was crossdressing. One of my guy friends got all weirded out and refused to go, most of us just wore some basic make up + a dress, a couple did it to the nines and shaved everything, wore women's underwear, etc.

It was all in good fun and no one gave a poo poo at all except the one dude who refused to just wear a wig and a dress over his regular clothes and all he got was some light friendly ribbing like you'd expect from a friendly game of Smash Bros or something.

It's just clothes :shrug: By the end of the night most of us were half naked in the pool (lotta tits on display :) )

If you're really concerned about being able to express yourself however you want I'd think you'd be on board with the feminist and/or LBGT (I always forget all the letters in that acronym) movement.

I mean yeah you're not going to attract conventional people dressed unconventionally (for the most part, some people just like different poo poo) but that doesn't necessarily mean boots jeans and a button up shirt either.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 14, 2015

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Giblet Plus! posted:

Yeah i have dude friends who sometimes wear dresses and drapey stuff with leggings or just leggings and like a gigantic slouchy tanktop, all kinds of poo poo\

but yeah, post something you'd like to wear that you feel like women are preventing you from wearing, I'm being serious here

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Ambrose Burnside posted:

have you ever taken public transit in a city of any meaningful size

lol poor

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

If I can't get laid wearing Wranglers and a flannel shirt something is deeply wrong with society.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Cubey posted:

go to portland some time, where every man dresses gay as poo poo and every woman is a giant feminist.

I took the empire builder there last summer and stayed at a tiny house. I didn't think men dressed particularly different there.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

If you're really concerned about being able to express yourself however you want I'd think you'd be on board with the feminist and/or LBGT (I always forget all the letters in that acronym) movement.

yeah, feminism literally wants you to be able to wear whatever the gently caress you want so idk why not being able to wear what you want because misogynists and homophobes will hate you or beat you up is a knock against feminsm

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ambrose Burnside posted:

lmao are there actual mras posting itt. there are arent there

Yes and we're going to try to understand. Sit down

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

himajinga posted:

Yeah i have dude friends who sometimes wear dresses and drapey stuff with leggings or just leggings and like a gigantic slouchy tanktop, all kinds of poo poo\
That's cool, the point I'm making is that those options should be available to everyone, not just younger men living in hip urban areas.

quote:

but yeah, post something you'd like to wear that you feel like women are preventing you from wearing, I'm being serious here

I would like to have shoulder length hair, but this would most likely block me from full time employment in my field of expertise. I would like to be able to wear things other than polos, long sleeve shirts, and dress pants in a work environment.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

himajinga posted:

Not to say that trying something outlandish clothing-wise isn't scary a little, I mean putting yourself out there is always scary, but I have a lot of respect for people that just do their own thing and try to live up to that standard when I can and be open to people trying new things especially since it's not hurting anyone

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Politics is to a great extent a zero sum game. If you grab good stuff for your own group someone else will have less.
If you want to be MRA you have to accept that your sucess can only come by making women`s life worse. It`s the same for feminist women but they have much worse starting point so it`s impossible to be upset about it. Can you live with it?

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
normcore MRAs with dadbods

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Giblet Plus! posted:

That's cool, the point I'm making is that those options should be available to everyone, not just younger men living in hip urban areas.

I would like to have shoulder length hair, but this would most likely block me from full time employment in my field of expertise. I would like to be able to wear things other than polos, long sleeve shirts, and dress pants in a work environment.

totally, I 100% agree with you and that's a thing that feminism addresses

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Giblet Plus! posted:

actual feminists feel the same way and want you to have those options

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Giblet Plus! posted:

Yeah but is that because feminists don't like it or because narrow minded bigots don't like it?

Dressing professionally for work is a different conversation imo and it varies wildly depending on the job or office you're at. At my office I wear sweat pants and sandals most of the time.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

City of Tampa posted:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Giblet Plus! posted:

its so weird how those hip male 17 year old corporate types get to walk around the office wearing only sheer bodystockings but i would get fired for it
real, definitely not fake problems

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

City of Tampa posted:

I think that's actually a show that's happening this weekend

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Giblet Plus! posted:

it isnt the long hair per se that looks bad during the hiring process- its the perceived inability to conform or resistance to collaboration

at the basest level it has nothing to do with gender issues

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

himajinga posted:

totally, I 100% agree with you and that's a thing that feminism addresses

Paineopticon posted:

actual feminists feel the same way and want you to have those options

So what's wrong with the MRA movement addressing it as well?

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah but is that because feminists don't like it or because narrow minded bigots don't like it?

Dressing professionally for work is a different conversation imo and it varies wildly depending on the job or office you're at. At my office I wear sweat pants and sandals most of the time.
At most offices, if a man wears shorts (equivalent to a women wearing a skirt), they will be talking to a woman in the HR office.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

it isnt the long hair per se that looks bad during the hiring process- its the perceived inability to conform or resistance to collaboration

at the basest level it has nothing to do with gender issues

If that's so, how come the same isn't true for women with short hair?

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Giblet Plus! posted:

If that's so, how come the same isn't true for women with short hair?

because it's common

are you being this dense on purpose

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Giblet Plus! posted:

they don't? pretty much every MRA anything I've ever read is more about saying that women either don't have it worse or sometimes have it better than men while conveniently ignoring that the problems men face about this issue are products of the patriarchy which MRAs purport does not exist

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Giblet Plus! posted:

go right ahead
and maybe the local skinheads can join in for their correct broken clock moment and it will surely show that there is some merit to their organization too

Giblet Plus! posted:

At most offices, if a man wears shorts (equivalent to a women wearing a skirt), they will be talking to a woman in the HR office.
opinion based on watching pirates of silicon valley on tbs
tbs -very funny

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

I kind of see your point, and I will say that I think most 'feminists' are just white women who want to be able to have careers and don't give a poo poo about minority rights at all (my gf's mom is one of those).

However I might not be the best person to ask re unconventional dress because I live in CA and my friends are not really a conventional bunch to begin with. One of my friends (who is a girl) has had a birthday party which was a theme costume party and the theme was crossdressing. One of my guy friends got all weirded out and refused to go, most of us just wore some basic make up + a dress, a couple did it to the nines and shaved everything, wore women's underwear, etc.

It was all in good fun and no one gave a poo poo at all except the one dude who refused to just wear a wig and a dress over his regular clothes and all he got was some light friendly ribbing like you'd expect from a friendly game of Smash Bros or something.

It's just clothes :shrug: By the end of the night most of us were half naked in the pool (lotta tits on display :) )

huh my crossdressing party ended up the same way

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

himajinga posted:

they don't? pretty much every MRA anything I've ever read is more about saying that women either don't have it worse or sometimes have it better than men while conveniently ignoring that the problems men face about this issue are products of the patriarchy which MRAs purport does not exist
I don't identify with all the MRA pet issues, however I do think they make some valid points on the length of the road remaining to true equality.

gary oldmans diary posted:

go right ahead
and maybe the local skinheads can join in for their correct broken clock moment and it will surely show that there is some merit to their organization
opinion based on watching pirates of silicon valley on tbs
tbs -very funny
Opinion based on the policies of my last full time job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
NAMBLA is part of MRA right? Or is that just NAMMLA

• Locked thread