Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tools and equipment
Feb 12, 2005

How on earth do I find a new home for my parents' kitty? He's a dear sweet cat, but they've tried everything. He's 5, neutered, indoor, has his claws. He doesn't get along with his sister which may be the source of the problem. He sprays and pees on EVERYTHING and they're going to relinquish him to the SPCA soon out of desperation if we can't rehome him, which makes us all really sad because he's a good boy. He's seen the vet several times about this. They've tried:

Feliway diffusers, collars and spray
Prozac
Rescue remedy
New cat litters
Cat litter boxes all over the house
Cleaning the boxes daily
Separating him from his sister and reintroducing them
Testing for UTI

What kind of home would possibly take him? I think he might do best as an "only cat". How do I find a good home for him, and not some crazy cat hoarder who will just stuff him in her creepy house of catshit carpets? :-(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mookerson
Feb 27, 2011

please work out
Talk to friends. Talk to neighbors. Talk to coworkers. Talk to relatives. Ask if anyone knows someone who knows someone. Use craigslist and insist on visiting the home first. If your city/town/neighborhood has a listserv, use that. Hang fliers in the neighborhood. Check with your local shelter and see if they have a public rehoming board or website. Post on PetFinder.

There are a lot of options for rehoming your cat, but I am going to be very very blunt. Your parents love this cat, have spent considerable time/money/energy into solving the problem, and are at the ends of their ropes due to this behavior. If you bring him to a shelter with severe letterbox issues, in most places he will be euthanized. If you come to adopt a cat and see 25 cats who won't spray all over their house, would you adopt the 1 who will? The reason your parents are looking to rehome him is the same reason he likely will not be placed up for adoption.

That is not to say this isn't fixable, or that you should stop trying. Just please understand the finality of bringing a cat with this kind of behavior issue to a shelter.

You've got a male cat living in a home with another cat he doesn't get along with. You have likely identified the problem already, but here are some questions to go on:
You say he's 5 years old, how long have your parents had him?
Where did they get him?
When did the spraying start?
Anywhere he won't spray?
Do they see him do it or is it only while they are away?

Worst case scenario, do you have a place he can stay for a few days? If you isolate him to a bathroom and away from all other cats and can demonstrate the reason for the spraying, if you still end up surrendering him you have a better chance of them being able to offer a solution that will keep him alive.

• Locked thread