Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Sandbagger SA posted:

related image.

"Army now forbids Jeep from being jumped."

That's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I sent out some of these pics and got more good sperg back for you.

"It's a GPW Higgins rebuild ! That's cool ! Most likely a Combat bring-back for the re-build program like my Navy jeep."

Navy Jeep referred to:

"The front drivers wheel is a early Slat Grill rim and is worth money and the rear rim is a CJ2A rim and worth about $65."

I didn't even notice the front one was different when I made my "wrong wheels" comment. This is why I bring in the domain-specific autists.

"Back panel is VERY wrong"

"snot weld on fender to step might have been from the rebuild or after ."

spacetoaster posted:

The carberator has been found. And granddad already rebuilt it. :)

"8 patent numbers is correct on that carburetor and the throttle linkage should look like the letter K"

Sandbagger SA posted:

You would know better than me but I've also read that jeeps (GPW or MB) getting repair work at the depot often had engines swapped out for different makes because the government didn't care about every part being mfr. specific.

That and Willys made the majority of the crate engines iirc.

"With that recondition tag by Hagans he can repair his Jeep with Ford or Willys parts and it will be correct ! Because back then all they did was take good parts out of piles and put jeeps back together that were destroyed in combat . The vehicles and aircraft parts were brought back on liberty ships to be rebuilt here in the states then sent back to war"

"That jeep is worth ( if it has a WW2 engine and Trans ) about $4000 to $5000 as is . He has a great find !! Tell him to join and post pics on G503.com and he will get a lot of feedback /help from that crew"

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

InterceptorV8 posted:

I think I am going to buy stock in break-freeŽ BRB.

Jokes on you, I'm using spit. :v:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Motronic posted:

"It's a GPW Higgins rebuild ! That's cool ! Most likely a Combat bring-back for the re-build program like my Navy jeep."

Wait, what? Combat bring-back? My grandfather told me it was, but I didn't really believe that.

So that could have actually been a bullet hole through the drivers seat and floor pan? :stonk:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

Wait, what? Combat bring-back? My grandfather told me it was, but I didn't really believe that.

So that could have actually been a bullet hole through the drivers seat and floor pan? :stonk:

Seems like that could very well be the case based on the tag. Which means you should leave that hole there.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
This jeep just got a thousand times cooler.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Oh hell yes

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Motronic posted:

Seems like that could very well be the case based on the tag. Which means you should leave that hole there.

You've already noticed the seat/floor pan for the driver's side has been cut out. I'm guessing granddad did that to preserve the bullet holes (he opined to me about japanese snipers all the time). Which means I must find it somewhere on his rather large farm.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Keep in mind that "combat bring back" probably doesn't necessarily mean that it was doing sweet jumps and took a bunch of hella cool machine gun fire - just that it was used in theatre and probably was returned with deficiencies to the depot following the war. Deficiencies can be anything including a destroyed engine (hence a willys crate engine would be appropriate).

Actually- you can find out. Every willys engine has mfg. code right? You should be able to tell from that if it was a crate engine, pulled out of an MB or even (believe it or not), built for a CJ-2A.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 19, 2015

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Here's the wheels from the front. I take them to a tire shop to have the tire removed and then sandblast and prime? Or are they no good (pretty rusty).

Here's a closeup of the engine:

And here is the windshield. Do I remove the glass, wipers, etc and take to to get sandblasted and primed? It feels pretty solid.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
I really want to say that is a CJ2A engine or at least a post war crate engine.

I'd just wire wheel the poo poo out of those rims and repaint it then call it good.

Same with the windshield. Get all new rubber for it anyhow.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Sandbagger SA posted:

I'd just wire wheel the poo poo out of those rims and repaint it then call it good.

Same with the windshield. Get all new rubber for it anyhow.

I'd think that just taking the stuff to a body shop that can blast the parts and prime them quickly would be the way to go. Is there any reason that wouldn't be a good choice?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Sand blasting is the way to go, or if you want you can try some electrolysis rust removal. :science:

We did it on our CJ wheels and they came out great.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Electrolytic-Rust-Removal-aka-Magic/

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The wheels will be pretty durable, but for any body panels, ensure that the blasting is done by someone who knows what they're doing with thinner material like automotive panelwork. Being too aggressive with a blaster can damage things. If it's someone at a bodyshop or passed onto by one, they should be ok, but if they're used to dealing with bloody great lumps of iron casting, take care.

As Slow Is Fast says, electrolytic de-rusting is great, really works well.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

With the amount of rust on that thing, and the scope of your project, I'd be building the largest electrolysis bath I could manage.

When I was doing work on my cherokee, I built one for essentially free once I scrounged a 55gal plastic drum and a few pieces of scrap rebar. Used a battery charger to power it. It's super easy/cool/fun. Just pick a plastic container big enough to hold your largest part and buy bulk baking soda.

Can't wait to follow this thread! My granddad has some variety of old willys I've had my eye on.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Found the carb!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bam! There's your 8 patent numbers.

Correct for the vehicle.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Motronic posted:

Bam! There's your 8 patent numbers.

Correct for the vehicle.

Yep, it appears granddad was in the process of rebuilding it. It's got some shiny new parts in it, and there was a little baggie of the same parts (just worn out looking) with it.

I'm putting it all in it's own box with all the other little parts (Headlights, horn, blackout drive, etc) until I get down to the frame. Then I'll start rebuilding from the frame.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

spacetoaster posted:

Yep, it appears granddad was in the process of rebuilding it. It's got some shiny new parts in it, and there was a little baggie of the same parts (just worn out looking) with it.

I'm putting it all in it's own box with all the other little parts (Headlights, horn, blackout drive, etc) until I get down to the frame. Then I'll start rebuilding from the frame.

I'm not going to tell you what to do with your neato project, but I kind of think this is a bad idea. If you're like me, you'll get it all the way apart, realize how much work there is to put it all back together, and get really stressed out. I think it's better to work on one thing at a time. Get it running, then refresh the suspension (or whatever), then fix the tub (or whatever), and so on and so forth. That way each little success gets it closer to looking like a real vehicle, instead of a pile of parts.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Raluek posted:

I'm not going to tell you what to do with your neato project, but I kind of think this is a bad idea. If you're like me, you'll get it all the way apart, realize how much work there is to put it all back together, and get really stressed out. I think it's better to work on one thing at a time. Get it running, then refresh the suspension (or whatever), then fix the tub (or whatever), and so on and so forth. That way each little success gets it closer to looking like a real vehicle, instead of a pile of parts.
Yes, I'd say something similar, though you can still take this kind of idea and make it work while doing a full restoration. My approach would be to remove something, renovate it straight away (so it's only a small project), and then put the now-refreshed component in a box on the shelf. As you get further into it, and down to the chassis, it'll help keep you motivated to know that, yes, this current work is a bit of a bastard, but if you can just get past it, all you're dealing with is bolting together nice, "new" parts like assembling a kit.

I also say don't be too worried about things that aren't "correct". My dad's Austin has a lot of things on it that are "wrong" for the car as per its 1930s spec, but they were common modifications done by people in the sixties, so they're both part of the car's history and are themselves as old as most classic cars anyway. Were he to re-do it ground-up, he might take certain things back to standard because they have to come apart anyway, but other stuff like it having upgraded* brakes would be kept. It doesn't have to be completely correct for a '44 Jeep, because it's your Grandfather's Jeep, and it'll always be correct as that.

*This is when "upgraded" means "actually fitted with hydraulics rather than cable".

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Raluek posted:

If you're like me, you'll get it all the way apart, realize how much work there is to put it all back together, and get really stressed out.

Thanks for the advice, but I'm the kind of guy who removes everything from the garage/shed and then cleans it and puts it all back in neatly. And I'm going to be restoring parts as I get it down to the frame. I found a buddy with a sandblaster today. :)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

spacetoaster posted:

Thanks for the advice, but I'm the kind of guy who removes everything from the garage/shed and then cleans it and puts it all back in neatly. And I'm going to be restoring parts as I get it down to the frame. I found a buddy with a sandblaster today. :)

Well, you've already done more to it than I have on my project car in the last 5 years, so I guess you've got a pretty good chance.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

See if you can borrow that sand blaster.

I think you're doing this the right way. Take it apart and clean it up as you go. You aren't all that far away from having it apart - these things are about as complicated as lawnmowers.

Once you get it down to the frame you can clean it up and put some chassis saver on it, get your suspension right and then work on the tub. Or work on the tub and have it ready to put back on by the time the frame it done.

If you take pictures and notes of how things come apart you'll be pleasantly surprised as just how fast reassembly is (after you've gone through all the problems of taking apart the rusty stuff and cleaning it/replacing it.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Motronic posted:

See if you can borrow that sand blaster.

I think you're doing this the right way. Take it apart and clean it up as you go. You aren't all that far away from having it apart - these things are about as complicated as lawnmowers.

Once you get it down to the frame you can clean it up and put some chassis saver on it, get your suspension right and then work on the tub. Or work on the tub and have it ready to put back on by the time the frame it done.

If you take pictures and notes of how things come apart you'll be pleasantly surprised as just how fast reassembly is (after you've gone through all the problems of taking apart the rusty stuff and cleaning it/replacing it.

What's the hardest part of these Jeeps? Learning how to set the valves for a flathead engine? I bet they did piston clearance with a feeler gauge and a fish pull scale.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

InterceptorV8 posted:

What's the hardest part of these Jeeps?

Panel beating primarily flat panel bodywork to a point where it is actually flat, doesn't oil can and doesn't need a 55 gallon drum of bondo. Don't even think about doing any bodywork on these things without an O/A torch, shrinking hammer and flat dolly.

At least that's the hardest part of working on them.

The hardest part overall is if you're trying to make them period correct: finding the parts (and paying for them), depending on what you've got to start with.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Motronic posted:

Panel beating primarily flat panel bodywork to a point where it is actually flat, doesn't oil can and doesn't need a 55 gallon drum of bondo. Don't even think about doing any bodywork on these things without an O/A torch, shrinking hammer and flat dolly.

At least that's the hardest part of working on them.

The hardest part overall is if you're trying to make them period correct: finding the parts (and paying for them), depending on what you've got to start with.

Yeah, that's true. But aren't Jeeps like these suppose be bent? Hehe. Somewhere I have old as gently caress family photos with drat near everybody in Jeeps. Most people don't know this, but 4wd was rare as gently caress back in the day, so when Dodge came out with their powerwagon, it was a godsend for those with families.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

InterceptorV8 posted:

Yeah, that's true. But aren't Jeeps like these suppose be bent? Hehe.

Yes. Yes they are.

But understand that I'm coming from a point of view (driven by customers) where they want things looking like they came out of the factory. Or came out of the theater with the field upgrades but never damaged or even used in any way.

I get that even though I don't really care (and think well used properly beat up ones are way cooler) I'm falling into this purist mindset in my answers, but that's because of the people I'm working with (I'm getting infected).

It's all very interesting to me, not matter how much you get into it. It can be a little or a lot, but this shop caters to the "IT MUST BE RIGHT" purists (with cash). I'm working with a guy that gets asked to paint markings on historic planes and poo poo (navy jeep guy).

They are all so much more into it than I am. I just enjoy some panel beating, working on old poo poo and hanging out with friends. I'm paid in beer, pizza and most importantly knowledge (good jobs get cash though....I like cash).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
This is probably my favorite AI thread now. I'm definitely in the camp of people wondering why our grandpas didn't get Jeeps after the war. :(

I really think electrolytic de-rusting is going to be your friend. Maybe not for the huge parts like that windshield frame, but for smaller pieces like brackets and even bolts, it can be great. As ridiculous as it sounds, getting correct bolts and screws might be a huge pain in the rear end, and wire-wheeling that stuff sucks. Even if you don't reuse them all, someone out there might need them for another restoration. It's expensive enough trying to get this done for a 60s Chevy, I can't imagine how small the market is for this project.

Save and reuse EVERYTHING you can.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

This thread has taught me that there are car purists for every brand, and that car purists are terrible.

However, that's an awesome Jeep and I can't wait to see it finished. Best of luck to you in getting it looking good again!

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Godholio posted:

This is probably my favorite AI thread now. I'm definitely in the camp of people wondering why our grandpas didn't get Jeeps after the war. :(

I really think electrolytic de-rusting is going to be your friend. Maybe not for the huge parts like that windshield frame, but for smaller pieces like brackets and even bolts, it can be great. As ridiculous as it sounds, getting correct bolts and screws might be a huge pain in the rear end, and wire-wheeling that stuff sucks. Even if you don't reuse them all, someone out there might need them for another restoration. It's expensive enough trying to get this done for a 60s Chevy, I can't imagine how small the market is for this project.

Eh, my granddad got a bitchin' Japanese battle rifle after The War, so I feel like it's a wash. Spacetoaster, that jeep is awesome and you're awesome for taking on this project. I really hope you get to drive it on to base the day you retire. Oh, speaking of, if you don't mind me asking, what do you do in the service?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Eh, my granddad got a bitchin' Japanese battle rifle after The War, so I feel like it's a wash. Spacetoaster, that jeep is awesome and you're awesome for taking on this project. I really hope you get to drive it on to base the day you retire. Oh, speaking of, if you don't mind me asking, what do you do in the service?

I'm a strange one. I've got two MOS's. Military Police and Human Resources. I just finished 4 years of HR management for a two star command. I've now been reassigned as an operations officer for the MP corps again.

Godholio posted:

Ok. I can build that thing in a 5 gallon bucket, right? Does it do anything to old paint? A lot of the small parts are also covered in thick paint.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I think at this point you either slap the engine back together and drive or find an electrolysis tank big enough to park in.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Pfff. Just pay kevbarlas to fly over for a week 48 hours.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

After much cutting, breaking of bolts, and screaming. I got the fenders and the grill off.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Did the GPWs have those extra fun cage bolts holding the body together?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Sandbagger SA posted:

Did the GPWs have those extra fun cage bolts holding the body together?

Some were, some weren't. This thing is a mix of things I'm finding.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Now I've got a box of little stuff (lights and various electronics). Figured I'd take one apart to see what kind of job I have in restoring them.

It looks like some old version of a blackout drive light.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

It's storming outside right now, so time for some inside work.

I completely disassembled both headlights and both marker lights. Tomorrow I'm headed over to a friend's shop to use the abrasive cabinet to get the old paint and rust off. I'm assuming a coat of rustoleum primer will keep these bits protected until final painting and assembly?

I also contacted a local body shop today. The owner is going to talk more in depth with me tomorrow.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

spacetoaster posted:

It's storming outside right now, so time for some inside work.

I completely disassembled both headlights and both marker lights. Tomorrow I'm headed over to a friend's shop to use the abrasive cabinet to get the old paint and rust off. I'm assuming a coat of rustoleum primer will keep these bits protected until final painting and assembly?

As long as they're dry and out of the weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

I'm assuming a coat of rustoleum primer will keep these bits protected until final painting and assembly?

Yes, but before painting with "real" (catalyzed automotive paint) they have to be DRY DRY DRY, like a couple of weeks at least.

This shouldn't be an issue for you now, but just keep it in mind as you approach the time where you'll be putting final coats of paint on things.

• Locked thread