Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Motronic posted:

Yes, but before painting with "real" (catalyzed automotive paint) they have to be DRY DRY DRY, like a couple of weeks at least.

Hey, I can throw them in a kiln. :woop:

I'm calling the body shop today about the fenders, grill, hood, windshield. Is there anything I should specify (I've never even been in a body shop before)? I'm planning on telling him not to worry about the dents, but to repair any rusted out areas and clean off the rust and paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

Hey, I can throw them in a kiln. :woop:

Sure, whatever. The idea is to get all of the stuff out that isn't paint, because when you mix types you'll often be sad. I found this out the hard way many years ago with rattle can primer and proper automotive paint - it made the primer start to sag and run. The guys at the paint shop pointed me to several things to read up on, and it comes down to incompatible solvents, so if all of the solvent isn't out of your base coat yet and you layer something incompatible on top it can do a variety of funky things.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Can anyone tell me what this is?

And how do I tell if it's still good?

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
No loving idea.

Fun guess: 12/6 voltage converter?

:v: well then.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 29, 2015

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

Can anyone tell me what this is?

And how do I tell if it's still good?

That is the starter solenoid and I'm guessing no. I mean....maybe....

but no.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Motronic posted:

but no.

Ok, I'll just make a note to buy one then.

Next issue. I'm ready to remove the tub, but I can't remove the steering wheel. There's a large nut on it that won't budge. The steering wheel keeps turning when I try to break it loose. Do I need a really strong friend to hold the steering wheel whilst I use the breaker bar?

Side note: This video has psyched me up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1RxGIishG4

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

Next issue. I'm ready to remove the tub, but I can't remove the steering wheel. There's a large nut on it that won't budge. The steering wheel keeps turning when I try to break it loose. Do I need a really strong friend to hold the steering wheel whilst I use the breaker bar?

Maybe try tying down the wheel with a ratchet strap or jamming it with some pipe?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That starter solenoid is like ten or fifteen bucks brand new and ones that look almost exactly the same are still available. As long as you aren't going for an absolutely perfect resto, you can probably get one at the parts store, and I bet the holes in the bracket even line up. In fact I could swear there's one in use on CJ5s and CJ7s, and possibly even the same one still on 4.2L YJs.

Awesome project!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

You need shop air and a rattle gun (or one of those new fangled electric impacts).

Then it will probably still be stuck on and you'll need a steering wheel puller.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Hell, if you're not going for period perfect, Ford used a very similar solenoid at least through the 1980s. I want to say even into the early 90s on their trucks, I remember my stepdad's 1992 F-150 with the 5.8 had one on the inner fender.

This one from a 1980 Pinto looks almost identical.

Part of me wants to say later Fords used a 3 wire instead of 4 wire, but I'm not entirely sure (Motronic would probably know better). But if you happen to drop into junkyards now and then, look through the older Fords for something that's a near match - they're generally mounted on the inner fender right by the battery. On RWD Fords they'll be on the passenger side inner fender; no idea on FWD.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 29, 2015

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Motronic posted:

You need shop air and a rattle gun (or one of those new fangled electric impacts).

Then it will probably still be stuck on and you'll need a steering wheel puller.

Beat me to it. I'll even go as far as to say it will definitely be stuck and need a puller. If you haven't already, hit it with some penetrating oil and give it a few taps with a hammer. You can get a puller at pretty much any place that rents tools.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Motronic posted:

I'll head to the pawn shop today and see if I can't find that.

some texas redneck posted:

Hell, if you're not going for period perfect, Ford used a very similar solenoid at least through the 1980s. I want to say even into the early 90s on their trucks, I remember my stepdad's 1992 F-150 with the 5.8 had one on the inner fender.

Ok, I'm going to stop by the war museum today. They've got 8 jeeps on display and the guys there refurbished them. I'll ask.

I've spoken to a body shop today. 45$ an hour for body work (sheet metal repair/welding/etc). That seems pretty fair, right?

I'm also going to start stripping the paint on the hood to see if I can find the numbers today.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Bought an electric impact wrench from the pawn shop. It worked like magic. I should have had one of these things already. :D

I started going through the layers of paint carefully. Nothing found so far. This grey/white layer I've found is pretty tough though.

Got down to the frame to find that serial number.

Looks like: GPW 0724

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

some texas redneck posted:

Part of me wants to say later Fords used a 3 wire instead of 4 wire, but I'm not entirely sure (Motronic would probably know better). But if you happen to drop into junkyards now and then, look through the older Fords for something that's a near match - they're generally mounted on the inner fender right by the battery. On RWD Fords they'll be on the passenger side inner fender; no idea on FWD.

My '84 Jeep SJ and '92 F150 had that.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

1973 CJ starter solenoid. Probably not original:

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.
Just a thought on the solenoids. Were these jeeps 6,12 or 24V? You would have to get an appropriate solenoid to match.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Sgt Fox posted:

Just a thought on the solenoids. Were these jeeps 6,12 or 24V? You would have to get an appropriate solenoid to match.

I met with some folks with the Military Vehicle Preservation Association today. They turned me over to a place near me that can take my old electronics and give me an answer on whether it's good to go, or not.

Can anyone tell me what to do to lift the body tub off? Remember I'm outside in my yard. Do I need to build a frame for a winch? Or is there some tool I can rent?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

spacetoaster posted:

Can anyone tell me what to do to lift the body tub off? Remember I'm outside in my yard. Do I need to build a frame for a winch? Or is there some tool I can rent?

Invite a couple of friends over and buy them beer.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

spacetoaster posted:

I met with some folks with the Military Vehicle Preservation Association today. They turned me over to a place near me that can take my old electronics and give me an answer on whether it's good to go, or not.

Yeah, either the friends thing or tip it off backwards or sideways. Works well for pickup beds, that tub ain't any bigger than that.

edit: or sling it and uese your engine hoist!

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 30, 2015

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Does anyone know how valuable that Higgins rebuild plate is? My cousin is giving my grandmother a sob story about how he understands that grandfather left me the jeep, but can he just have the Higgins rebuild plate to remember him by.

It's total BS, but I'm just wondering why he's going after that plate. (I've already removed all the plates and put them away until the rebuild is complete.)

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

Does anyone know how valuable that Higgins rebuild plate is? My cousin is giving my grandmother a sob story about how he understands that grandfather left me the jeep, but can he just have the Higgins rebuild plate to remember him by.

It's total BS, but I'm just wondering why he's going after that plate. (I've already removed all the plates and put them away until the rebuild is complete.)

You're doing all the work the cousin can come look at the rebuild plate whenever he wants.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

spacetoaster posted:

I assume you have the plates in a safe deposit box now where said cousin can't get at them?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

I assume you have the plates in a safe deposit box now where said cousin can't get at them?

spacetoaster posted:

(I've already removed all the plates and put them away until the rebuild is complete.)

They're in my gun vault.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spacetoaster posted:

They're in my gun vault.
"Great, now he's got my build plate and he's armed"

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

In unbolting the tub from the frame I've discovered why the back doesn't look right. My grandfather fabricated another tub that he welded on over the actual tub because it's rusted away in a lot of places.

I can't get the stupid steering wheel off. My neighbor is a mechanic, I'm going to see if he knows what to do.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
http://www.cj3b.info/Tech/SteeringWheel.html

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Oooh, I feel your pain. Decades of rust on a spline joint is always fun.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

That second one is the most overbuilt bearing puller I've ever seen. It's like the Swedish equivalent of Harbour Freight built it. The puller screw is drat near bigger than the loving steering shaft.

It seems like introducing a Jeep to that level of beef is just going to piss it off.

Hot Rod had a cool article on how to rebuild/refinish a vintage Ford Bakelite steering wheel recently, might come in handy for you to look it up.

Here's an older article from Mopar Muscle about a guy in Edmonton who rebuilds them: http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/interior-electrical/1407-restoring-factory-steering-wheels/

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 30, 2015

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

spacetoaster posted:

Not knowing your cousin, but the fact that he's pulling that crap tells me he wants to sell it or use it to make another jeep look as awesome as what you have. In short, gently caress kill your cousin.

People do this poo poo all the time with original VIN/trim tags from classic cars. Buy a VIN and/or trim tag, rivet/screw it onto a different car. Magically that $15,000 basket case base-model Corvette becomes an original 427 big block car that's worth 3x as much money even with a non-original motor, or that $10,000 Chevelle is suddenly an original SS.

Edit: Real quick googling suggests that Higgins rebuilt less than 2,000 of these. That makes that plate rare as hell by now.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 31, 2015

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Godholio posted:

In short, gently caress your cousin.

Be careful, that'd be illegal in most states.

Javid fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 31, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Javid posted:

Be careful, that'd be illegal in most states.

Yeah, I don't think he's advocating it.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
So I've got a complete L134 gasket set if you want it. I bought it for my CJ2A and never used it.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 31, 2015

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Sandbagger SA posted:

So I've got a complete L134 gasket set if you want it. I bought it for my CJ2A and never used it.

What is it for? Does it go with the engine?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Motronic posted:

but no.

I feel like I'm missing something because if you want to see if it works, apply appropriate B+ voltage (6/12/24, whatever the Jeep actually is) across the small terminals. You should get a loud click. Whenever you have voltage across the small terminals, you should have near-zero resistance across the big ones (and an open circuit across the big ones when no voltage is applied).

But, yeah, that would be easily substituted by just about any other starter solenoid if it is in fact 12V.

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.
So if you ever get bored with the whole stock classic jeep setup you could always throw in an LS1 like these guys. I think a death wish is a requirement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yewHnBSja8

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

spacetoaster posted:

What is it for? Does it go with the engine?

It's for an L134 Go-Devil engine. It's got a lot of bits including a head gasket, manifold gaskets, inspection port gasket etc.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 31, 2015

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

I've spoken to a body shop today. 45$ an hour for body work (sheet metal repair/welding/etc). That seems pretty fair, right?

Depends on the quality and speed of work, but that's a reasonable rate for professional level work.

spacetoaster posted:

A couple of 8' 2x4s and 4 dudes. They aren't that heavy.

You could probably do it with 2 guys, it's just big enough to be awkward.

spacetoaster posted:

Does anyone know how valuable that Higgins rebuild plate is?

For that Jeep - it's part of it. The more quality work and restoration you put into this jeep the more that plate is worth when attached to it.

spacetoaster posted:

In unbolting the tub from the frame I've discovered why the back doesn't look right. My grandfather fabricated another tub that he welded on over the actual tub because it's rusted away in a lot of places.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. I know we've ordered complete tail panels before and they weren't all that expensive. The rest is relatively flat metal and can be fabricated easily.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Motronic posted:

Yes, but before painting with "real" (catalyzed automotive paint) they have to be DRY DRY DRY, like a couple of weeks at least.

This shouldn't be an issue for you now, but just keep it in mind as you approach the time where you'll be putting final coats of paint on things.

What is the primer I want to use?

Slow is Fast posted:

Sand blasting is the way to go, or if you want you can try some electrolysis rust removal. :science:

We did it on our CJ wheels and they came out great.

Building a small electrolysis tank today for the bucket of small nuts, bolts, washers, and brackets I've gotten off the jeep.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 1, 2015

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

What is the primer I want to use?

If you don't want to worry about incompatibilities you don't start with that question. You start with "what paint am I going to apply as my final coat" and work backwards from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Motronic posted:

If you don't want to worry about incompatibilities you don't start with that question. You start with "what paint am I going to apply as my final coat" and work backwards from there.

Ok, what paint do I want to use as my final coat?

• Locked thread