Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hadaka Apron posted:

I always saw the V as the worst individual tile, since it's not in any 2-letter words so you can't dump it easily. On the other hand, the X is amazing since it's in AX, EX, XI, OX and XU. (These are all with the US dictionary)

V is the second worst. The last post mentioned C, which is actually one of the better tiles (it has a positive valuation as you can see) because it's in so many words.

For example in CSW, there are 7471 seven letter words with a C, and only 1727 with a V. I'm pretty sure more bingos start with C than any other letter.

For example take this website, and put a C on your rack. You will then see the two leave valuations with C and every other letter. Half are positive. If you use a V, there are no positive two tile combinations (excluding a pair with a blank of course).

http://cross-tables.com/leaves.php

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-33606449

I saw this and thought of this thread.

loving Nigel... he's taking the piss!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Lot 49 posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-33606449

I saw this and thought of this thread.

loving Nigel... he's taking the piss!

Yeah I've played Nigel and talked to him a decent amount. Dude is insane.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Does Kwyjibo anagram into something?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

No

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

actionjackson posted:

http://protiles.net/

The wooden tiles don't work because you can feel which letter is on each. Also you need a tile that is different on front and back so people can't put one on the board upside down.

Sorry to quote from a few days ago but this confused me! How can you feel which letter is on each wooden tile? Why does that mean they don't work? And why would anyone put a tile on the board upside down? Wouldn't it be immediately noticeable with any kind of tile regardless of colour?

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

The back of a wooden tile looks exactly like a blank tile. It could be played as a blank by a cheater or careless player.
The letters on a wooden tile are carved in to the front and filled with paint. While you are grabbing new tiles out of the bag, you can feel the face of the tile with your fingers and guess what letter it is. This is also cheating.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

actionjackson posted:

The Q is the worst individual tile so you should get rid of it asap, unless you have a very specific situation, like there is a favorable imbalance of U's remaining in the pool. The J is somewhat good, the Z is amazing, especially in the international dictionary.

As the Scrabble dictionary continues to evolve and include more and more loan words and internet shorthand, should there be a rebalancing of tiles values? With stuff like "bezzy" (sadly not "beezy") and "thanx" now being acceptable, shouldn't that make those letters more common and thus of lower point value?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Antifreeze Head posted:

As the Scrabble dictionary continues to evolve and include more and more loan words and internet shorthand, should there be a rebalancing of tiles values? With stuff like "bezzy" (sadly not "beezy") and "thanx" now being acceptable, shouldn't that make those letters more common and thus of lower point value?

A few words aren't going to make a notable difference in overall letter distribution because the number of total words length 2-15 is enormous (270K in the international word list that I use). An X is still much more rare to find in a word than an E for example.

There are 6922 words with an X, and 187,543 with an E.

The distribution of the number of each tile and point value is pretty fair in my opinion. The only exception that was made to the tile distribution is the S - since it is so incredibly powerful, there are much less of them than there should be.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
How often have you seen words with two or three Zs played (using the blank tiles, of course)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

PT6A posted:

How often have you seen words with two or three Zs played (using the blank tiles, of course)?

I don't know, maybe 2-3 times. I think I went out with ZUZ once. But it's rare to use a blank that's not for a bingo, and much rarer to have a double Z word even if you could do that. Actually in my club a couple nights ago my opponent almost had a good setup for ZIZIT (tassels on a Jewish prayer shawl). It would have been a triple word score with the Z doubled, making the second Z a blank.

• Locked thread