Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Why doesn't it surprise me that the greatest players of Scrabble are mathmeticians and ESL people. I've always found it irrationally irritating that people pervert a simple vocabulary game for kids into some hyper-competitive game where most of the words played aren't just not in common parlance but complete loving gobbledygook.

I think it's a hangover from when I had a roommate who played Scrabble semi-competitively and forced everybody in the house to play one time. Everybody was having a good time playing regular words like dick and doublebutt while he was just throwing down qqrqwr arfsaf fsjetsd bullshit words and just referring us to his Scrabble dictionary, while having no idea what the words meant. He was a physics major too.

I guess what I'm saying OP, is never play Scrabble with normal people. Keep your perversion isolated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

I too hate when people have fun with a game in ways I don't approve of. I hate it! gently caress! drat!

Scrabble is gay enough already without turbonerds unravelling the english language into a nonsensical stream of q's and z's for their own sick amusement. Do it in the privacy of your own homes.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

actionjackson posted:

2. Why would you be upset at someone playing a word you don't know? That's not the game's fault, that's your fault for having a worse vocabulary. If you study, you will build up that vocabulary over time.

Food for thought: it doesn't count as vocabulary if you don't know what it means or can't deploy it in a reasonable grammatical sentence. It's more like parroting a string of numbers or symbols learned purely through rote. Given that many of the best scrabble players don't even speak English, I think that's a fair assessment.

I'm not upset over people playing words I don't know, I was making fun of the fact that lots of top scrabble players don't even know the meaning of the words they are using either. I also think it's super dumb that two letter words can get used, and things like BRRR or PSST.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

What's the deal with swearing in Scrabble then?

Any sweet games you've clinched by crushing them with a tripleword score "FUCKWIT"? Any players with a particular predisposition to rudeness?

In your position I'd be mounting psychological word warfare by using insults that obviously pertain to my opponent.

• Locked thread