Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What determines if a word is English for the purposes of Scrabble? I've noticed the Scrabble dictionary is full of things like defunct foreign currencies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Jeza posted:

Why doesn't it surprise me that the greatest players of Scrabble are mathmeticians and ESL people. I've always found it irrationally irritating that people pervert a simple vocabulary game for kids into some hyper-competitive game where most of the words played aren't just not in common parlance but complete loving gobbledygook.

I think it's a hangover from when I had a roommate who played Scrabble semi-competitively and forced everybody in the house to play one time. Everybody was having a good time playing regular words like dick and doublebutt while he was just throwing down qqrqwr arfsaf fsjetsd bullshit words and just referring us to his Scrabble dictionary, while having no idea what the words meant. He was a physics major too.

I guess what I'm saying OP, is never play Scrabble with normal people. Keep your perversion isolated.
I too hate when people have fun with a game in ways I don't approve of. I hate it! gently caress! drat!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Actionjackson, you talked about prison Scrabble having special balance rules. Are there any commonly-known balance problems with Scrabble? Most games played at a competitive level have identified balance issues.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Why would you come into a thread about competitive-level Scrabble and complain that having a wide skill gap between the players makes casual play unfun? That's true for literally every game except actual roll-and-move board games or the card game War.

• Locked thread