Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

actionjackson posted:

Scrabble words are just words from a dictionary so I'm not sure what you mean.

On that, what's it like to play against someone who doesn't actually speak English?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

It's no different from that one guy who's awesome at Goldeneye but still takes Oddjob and uses the golden gun anyway because that's just the kind of "fun" that makes your friends want to play again and again. Unless you're all entomologists, there needs to be a house rule against busting out ZYZZYVA.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

actionjackson posted:

Yeah I understand that, I don't play anyone that isn't a competitive player as well. It wouldn't be any fun anyway.

That's kind of what I was driving at. Some people genuinely do think it's fun to play people well beneath their own level and stomp them into a fine paste. gently caress those people.

The object of the game is to choose words from the large book of legal words (which you aren't allowed to go riffling through during your turn) and spell them with the letters you have. People who know more of those words are going to have an advantage, so whatever. If you speak in grunts and your opponent got his logodaedalian scout badge at the age of nine, you're going to get pummeled. Either come up with a handicap rule or play something else. Who gets angry and flips scrabble boards anyway? Isn't that why people learn how to play Go?

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 19, 2015

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

actionjackson posted:

Some players like to play those much better than they are though as a learning experience.

The first time I saw someone play one word adjacent to another and rack up a bucket of points for all the two-letter words, I completely gave up on doing well and spent the rest of the game watching what the other guy was doing for amusement. I learned nothing, had fun anyway :)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Hey, speaking of chess, are there any mind games that go on during your opponent's turn? Shenanigans like wandering away from the table, singing idly, staring at the little clock (is there even a little clock?), clacking your remaining tiles around on your rack, that sort of thing?

What's with the gigantic ugly blue tiles that look like the numbers on my grandmother's phone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

actionjackson posted:

I've definitely heard people say "a slice of za"

They sound today like the people who say "hashtag" out loud will sound in ten years.

Do they ever remove words from that dictionary?

• Locked thread