Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

actionjackson posted:

2. Why would you be upset at someone playing a word you don't know? That's not the game's fault, that's your fault for having a worse vocabulary. If you study, you will build up that vocabulary over time.
I'll start with the most important thing which is: Jeza is an idiot. That said, if a friend offers to play a game of Scrabble, and you don't lead with "I have every 2 and 3 letter word memorized, also I have a dedicated program for studying 7/8 letter anagrams", you're being a dick.
edit:
538 did an article on Richards:
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-scrabble-king-is-dead-long-live-the-scrabble-king/

twodot fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

FactsAreUseless posted:

Why would you come into a thread about competitive-level Scrabble and complain that having a wide skill gap between the players makes casual play unfun? That's true for literally every game except actual roll-and-move board games or the card game War.
I think there is a pretty clear divide between games where there is a large skill divide, but a poor player understands what's happening, and where a poor player doesn't. For instance, I'm pretty terrible at chess, but there's no strategy so advanced that I wouldn't think it's legal. Then there's games like Magic where the rules are very complicated and advanced players routinely do things I think are illegal, or tell me what I'm doing is wrong. Scrabble is almost entirely about knowing what's legal better than other people (and rack management and board placement). An advanced Scrabble player is free to player gibberish against me, and I'm basically coin flipping on whether I should challenge or not.

That said obviously this thread is specifically about competitive play anyways, so whatever.

• Locked thread