Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Do you know anything about how Scrabble works in other languages? I assume the letter distribution is different, but are things like accents taken into account? Are there any specific languages that you know of that make for a particularly different game, in terms of strategy?

EDIT: I ended up getting curious about this and looking it up on my own. Accents and other diacritics matter in some versions, but not others, and it doesn't appear to be consistent between languages. Spanish doesn't use accents, but distinguishes between N and Ñ, and uses separate tiles for CH, LL, and RR -- those may not be spelled out using two individual tiles. In contrast, the Basque version has tiles with digraphs, but you are also allowed to spell them with single-letter tiles.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If a blank tile is played and is ambiguous (two or more letters would form a valid word), how do you keep track of what it actually is? Does this ever come up as a problem?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Hadaka Apron posted:

I always saw the V as the worst individual tile, since it's not in any 2-letter words so you can't dump it easily. On the other hand, the X is amazing since it's in AX, EX, XI, OX and XU. (These are all with the US dictionary)

C suffers from the same problem as V, but at least it's a little more common so it's easier to get rid of.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

How often have you seen words with two or three Zs played (using the blank tiles, of course)?

• Locked thread