Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morkies
Apr 19, 2015

by zen death robot
i drive the minimum speed limit at all times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
i go 5 over or maintain speed w traffic, as you are meant to do

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

thathonkey posted:

what is it like to be no fun at all?

Yeah man, cause having fun is all about going 61 in a 60... way to own yourself idiot.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
People that merge 20 under, then speed up after they've merged.

The gently caress.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Philthy posted:

The gently caress.

*trundle down the slip road at just over walking speed*
*naturally, don't indicate, YOU know where you're going, after all!*
*join the main road, expecting all the other traffic to get out of your way, as is your right*
*establish yourself in your chosen lane*
*begin to think about accelerating up to the speed of all the other traffic on the road*

(The driver in front of me every loving time I join a motorway)

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

75 is reasonable. It's the weaving in and out of lanes that is dangerous and I don't advocate that at all.

You're the one blocking traffic behind you and making the DMV tell people not to do that :shrug:

Either way if the limit is 65 you shouldn't be going slower than 60 in the slow lane unless it's because of traffic. If you drive 40-50 in the slow lane so people can merge you are causing poo poo tons of traffic and you're doing it wrong because the rules of the road specifically say the people merging need to get up to speed, not the other way around.

the DMV says never to drive over the speed limit, actually. they also advise you to drive with the flow of traffic. the unstated implication is that the flow of traffic will necessarily reflect the posted speed limit, but of course this is not always the case.

motorists as a group naturally tend to drive at the maximum safe speed, and a good speed limit will match what drivers actually tend to do in reality. the problem is a lot of speed limits don't do this, but of course this is not a thing the DMV is going to admit in their educational materials.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
diarrhea

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su

SHISHKABOB posted:

The stupid bitchy fuckers who drive right on top of your rear end when you get stuck behind one.

You just described every Maryland and New Jersey driver since the automobile was invented.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

grellgraxer posted:

You just described every Maryland and New Jersey driver since the automobile was invented.

heh :smug:

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Philthy posted:

The gently caress.

Seriously though, what is so goddamn hard about putting your foot on the gas pedal before getting on the freeway that so many people can't seem to grasp?

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Hobohemian posted:

Seriously though, what is so goddamn hard about putting your foot on the gas pedal before getting on the freeway that so many people can't seem to grasp?

People that merge traveling slower than the traffic they're merging into are loving idiot pussies. Grow some nuts and accelerate into your spot. Looking over your shoulder with your peripheral vision is the least athletic way possible to merge and you're just relying on oncoming traffic to drive for you. So then they get pissed and get into the left lane where only alpha males should be allowed to drive. Now we alpha males have to deal with some other human being because this dumb bitch in her mini van can't get her poo poo together.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

One time I was going to merge onto the interstate and there was an entire line of military vehicles in the right line, one after another, there were maybe 50 of them. Not a single goddamn one would move to the left lane so I literally had to stop on the on-ramp until this group of wanna be macho men passed.

In conclusion , we should keep invading random middle east countries because it just ends up killing more US soldiers and that is always a good thing.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

OctoberBlues posted:

I literally had to stop on the on-ramp until this group of wanna be macho men passed.

this is literally the exact, legal thing you are required to & it is reasonable to do in that scenario

drives me fuckin' crazy when onramp people act like it's my job to get out of their way. right of way, bitch.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like driving behind people who don't signal because they're bad drivers and that means they generally speed more than 5+ mph over the limit as well, so if I'm behind them then I end up going faster than if I were behind a reasonable driver that's not a shithead

Until they turn anyway, then it kinda sucks to be behind them, bad for the neck and all

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
throat cancer

Nuage
Jan 21, 2005
it's always hilarious if you are driving AT the speed limit, someone overtakes because they couldn't possibly wait two seconds, then at the next set of lights, they're right there next to you. They obviously gained so much in those few seconds!

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:

Nuage posted:

it's always hilarious if you are driving AT the speed limit, someone overtakes because they couldn't possibly wait two seconds, then at the next set of lights, they're right there next to you. They obviously gained so much in those few seconds!

Not in town where there would be stoplight, but on the country highways around here (1 lane each direction at 55) I will pass people if I know I'm moving to the head of the pack when there's a stop sign or speed zone coming. That way, when I've passed the village or whatever and the speed goes back to 55 I don't have to wait for everyone else to get back up to speed.

On these same highways, I've had really big issues with people not understanding you shouldn't turn your brights on if there's a car ahead of you, going the same direction, that's closer than ~1/2 mile. This is especially true when there's cars coming in the other direction, so it's BRIGHTS, brights off, BRIGHTS, brights off, BRIGHTS. I get incredibly mad when people do this to me. What's worse than a deer in the road? A driver, who you've blinded, hitting a deer in the road.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
"uh oh the light just turned green, what to I do? do I speed up? I guess I'll wait a few seconds then very slowly accelerate to 15 mph, god knows I have no place to be and the giant line of cars behind me get to enjoy this fine day with me."

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chonchon posted:

People can't be trusted to drive cars well, we should put such things in the hands of superior machine minds

this but unironically

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Nuage posted:

I make lights all the time by passing some nerd afraid to go over the limit. I live in a real city with tons of lights thoguh, so your expirence might not be the same in some suburban wasteland full of idiots with nowhere to get to.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
people that slam on their brakes as soon as the light turns yellow (instead of punching it, as you are supposed to do) deserve to get colon cancer.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

City of Tampa posted:

people that slam on their brakes as soon as the light turns yellow (instead of punching it, as you are supposed to do) deserve to get colon cancer.

i dont brake

ever

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

a bone to pick posted:

"uh oh the light just turned green, what to I do? do I speed up? I guess I'll wait a few seconds then very slowly accelerate to 15 mph, god knows I have no place to be and the giant line of cars behind me get to enjoy this fine day with me."

the people that start rolling forward before the light turns green but then the turn light turns green, so they have to stop again. then they start rolling again when they think it's about to change.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
People who say "I'm a good driver" are even bigger liars than anyone who's ever used the phrase "worked my rear end off".

fakeedit: I guess actual prostitutes might be allowed to use the phrase "worked my rear end off" but literally anyone else who says it is covering up for what a lazy gently caress they are.

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

this but unironically

I wasn't being cute and ironic all people are bad drivers

nextlevelstart
Feb 26, 2015
Tailgating is a literal death threat. Deal with it accordingly(don't).

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Chonchon posted:

I wasn't being cute and ironic all people are bad drivers

It's an open book test in Utah and people still fail.

The pedestrians are even more retarded. Someone's teaching them to cross against the light, stop in front of your car, turn to face you, then hold up their hand to tell you to stop. I've had them do this when the roads are covered with snow and other times when I'm about to get to an intersection and I'm doing 35 when I enter it. I've watched them shake their fist at me because you can't stop that fast for them, so I have to swerve around them.

There's PSAs explaining to people that the passing lane isn't the place to sit and drive slow in. I've also seen one telling people to not stop at the end of the on-ramp to wait for a break in traffic because they're supposed to be merging instead.

The Car is a movie that takes place in Utah where the car goes around killing people. After living in Utah for a year, I've come to realize that The Car is the true hero of that film.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Still not as bad as the people who wait for you to turn when they have the right of way. HURRY THE gently caress UP rear end in a top hat I AM AN IMPORTANT rear end DUDE

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
Where I live has the great combo of people never using their turn signal and using the right lane as the passing lane

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

chemosh6969 posted:

It's an open book test in Utah and people still fail.

The pedestrians are even more retarded. Someone's teaching them to cross against the light, stop in front of your car, turn to face you, then hold up their hand to tell you to stop.\

what the blue gently caress is this poo poo

that would very possibly get you your rear end kicked here

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Xaris posted:

i am gods loving greatest god drat gift to mankind at driving like holy poo poo im so good and everything else is loving GARBAGE god drat i just turn into a murderous homocidal maniac at how every single person besides me is SO BAD like jesus loving tap dancing christ on a pogo stick what the gently caress is wrong with everyone else, like if they had even 1% of my driving skills they'd be good but they dont

- me irl

same

Inverse
Jun 30, 2010

I just bike everywhere burn fat not gas.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
heart disease

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Fetus Tree posted:

what the blue gently caress is this poo poo

that would very possibly get you your rear end kicked here

If I didn't see it happen repeatedly, I would have thought it was just one idiot but I've seen it in different cities over there.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nuage posted:

They're in front of your slow rear end so they definitely gained something for sure

Cars are made for getting people to places quickly, if you are not driving as fast as you safely can without totaling your car or getting pulled over, you should stop driving and get a bike because you're not using the car for what it's made for

If you've got a nice car give it to me before you do that

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
high cholesterol

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

dad gay. so what posted:

high cholesterol

Who is high cholesterol?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
I'm the guy who waits that extra three seconds to accelerate away from a green light when the rear end in a top hat gently caress behind me starts honking at me to move the millisecond after the light changes. gently caress you New England. Every state was pure poo poo with shittier drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
Whenever I hear about road rage I assume the person who got shot was driving like an rear end in a top hat and deserved to die, hth

• Locked thread