Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
I love roly pollies and you should too

Armadillidiidae
Armadillidiidae is a family of woodlice, a terrestrial crustacean group in the order Isopoda. Unlike members of other woodlouse families, members of this family can roll into a ball, an ability they share with the outwardly similar but unrelated pill millipedes and other animals. It is this ability which gives woodlice in this family their common names of pill bugs, roly polies , or doodle bugs. The best known species in the family is Armadillidium vulgare, the common pill bug.

Ecology and behaviour
Woodlice in the family Armadillidiidae are able to form their bodies into a ball shape, in a process known as conglobation. This behaviour is shared with pill millipedes (which are often confused with pill bugs), armadillos and cuckoo wasps. It may be triggered by stimuli such as vibrations or pressure, and is a key defence against predation; it may also reduce respiratory water losses.

Relationships with people
Pill-bugs can be considered pests of homes and gardens. They are, however, cherished among children, who enjoy keeping them as pets. Keeping a pet pill bug requires a very moist habitat with limited light. They can live for about two to three years.
Owners of pet tarantulas sometimes keep pill bugs as cage cleaners in the same habitat. The pill bugs eat faeces, mold, and leftovers (sounds a lot like goons). They are sometimes caught and fed to pets such as lizards, but this is not recommended since those animals might become poisoned.

Here's a picture I caught of two of them loving (please don't ban me gnarleyhotep)

Here's a video I took of them doing roly poly stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMQZuY1ILHs

I hope this thread has greatered your appreciation of roly pollies and please share your stories and pictures of these fine little creatures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

those are some good pillbugs

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
those 2 bugs are loving

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

weebles wobble but they don't fall down

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Ahww, I like Roly Pollies too.

Theyre lil dirty buddies.

mucocele
Nov 3, 2012
Potato bugs in these parts.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

mucocele posted:

That ain't a potato bug a potato bug is light brown with black spots/stripes, a bug butt, and legs you can see.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

mucocele posted:

Same here. Or sometimes "sow bugs." When I hear "roly poly" I think of wooly bear caterpillars.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
are they going extinct, I remember they were all over the place when I was a kid and now I never see them

lordoftheT
Feb 2, 2015

Check out this cool dog!
These things are pretty cool but it's too dry or something where I live now. These bugs are no longer in my life and I am sad.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

jackyl posted:

are they going extinct, I remember they were all over the place when I was a kid and now I never see them

well this is a stretch but did you grow up in a rural/suburban area and then move to a larger city as an adult?

followup question; have you lost your sense of wonder and imagination?

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've never heard them called rollie pollies before. We called them pillbugs

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Apparently they have a shitload of common names:

Wikipedia posted:

Common names for woodlice vary throughout the English-speaking world. A number of common names make reference to the fact that some species of woodlice can roll up into a ball. Other names compare the woodlouse to a pig.

Names include: "armadillo bug",[2] "boat-builder" (Newfoundland, Canada),[3] "carpenter" or "cafner" (Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada),[4] "cheeselog" (Reading, Berkshire),[5] "doodlebug" (also used for the larva of an antlion),[6] "pill bug" (usually applied only to the genus Armadillidium),[7] "potato bug",[8] "roly-poly",[8] "sow bug",[9] "roll up bug",[10] "chuggy pig" (Devon),[11][12] "slater" (Scotland, Northern Ireland, New Zealand and Australia),[13][14][15] "gramersow" (Cornwall),[16] "butcher boy" or "butchy boy" (Australia,[17] mostly around Melbourne[18]) and "wood bug" (British Columbia, Canada).[19]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodlouse#Common_names

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
threw one in a spiders web before

the spider gave up and cut it out of the web after a few minutes

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Apparently they have a shitload of common names:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodlouse#Common_names

"butchy boy" eh? :bigtran:

Edit: but seriously, roly pollies are cool poo poo

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
☑ Unique ability
☑ They don't bite
☑ Mostly stay outside where they belong
☑ My food and their food are different
☑ Easy to catch
☐ Fun colors
☐ Useful

Pretty good bug over all I would say

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp
Some of them are myriapods, basically miniature millipedes. I have NO idea how to tell the difference.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

they are cool, they are fun, and they are my friends

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Devils Affricate posted:

☑ Unique ability
☑ They don't bite
☑ Mostly stay outside where they belong
☑ My food and their food are different
☑ Easy to catch
☐ Fun colors
☐ Useful

Pretty good bug over all I would say

uhh roly polys break up hard soil, help crops grow, and poop nitrogen. also you can paint them yourself

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

roly polys are like little warhammer figurines just waiting for racing stripes

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

shiksa posted:

well this is a stretch but did you grow up in a rural/suburban area and then move to a larger city as an adult?

followup question; have you lost your sense of wonder and imagination?

for the first I grew up in Denver and now I live in Louisville but KY not Louisville CO.

for the second yeah, probably

but still I'd like to see a roly poly roll up

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Pill bugs rule and are cute I had no idea they lived so long!

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

I guess I'd say the myriapods look like Tim Burton's Batmobile and the crustaceans look like Christopher Nolan's batmobile.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
That pill millipede is pretty darn cute.

:3:

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
What does a "roly-poly little bat-faced girl" mean and is it related to these bugs?

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
how did you make check marks

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
My coworkers call me "cheeselog" but the ladies call me "slater"

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

two forty posted:

What does a "roly-poly little bat-faced girl" mean and is it related to these bugs?

Incidental, accidental relationship only.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mucocele posted:

Sheep-Goats posted:

That ain't a potato bug a potato bug is light brown with black spots/stripes, a bug butt, and legs you can see.

Wrong :colbert:

naem
May 29, 2011

lordoftheT posted:

These things are pretty cool but it's too dry or something where I live now. These bugs are no longer in my life and I am sad.

Same, we have spooky desert versions of all the animals here on the west coast

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Sometimes my house gets these really intense infestations, like one time it was giant flies and another time it was all geckos all the time.

But one time it was roly pollies. :3: That was the best!

Right now it's ants. :argh:

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

artsy fartsy posted:

Sometimes my house gets these really intense infestations, like one time it was giant flies and another time it was all geckos all the time.

You should invest in Caulk and install said Caulk during the summer.

lordoftheT
Feb 2, 2015

Check out this cool dog!

artsy fartsy posted:

Gecko infestation sounds kinda cool.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

artsy fartsy posted:

lol your house rotates pests?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Jesus Christ!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

artsy fartsy posted:

Where the hell do you live? How does this happen?

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

CaptainSarcastic posted:

How does this happen?

Lack of proper weather proofing and caulk.

I tell you what.

:colbert:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

psyopmonkey posted:

I tell you what.

Yeah dude, fix your loving house before it's bees or snakes or some poo poo

lordoftheT
Feb 2, 2015

Check out this cool dog!

psyopmonkey posted:

I tell you what.

P. sure that is supposed to be WD 40 not caulk. I know all about caulk and it is not in this gif.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

psyopmonkey posted:

I tell you what.

:wink:

• Locked thread