Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prof. Faggot
May 4, 2006

Working intently on advanced Faggo-dynamics

Also, you wouldn't even need a robots.txt if all URL endpoints that have side effects required a POST. Googlebot and other well behaved bots won't try to index with POST requests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Do they obey robots.txt these days then?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
1992 ruled.

I was a college radio dj and about as hip as you can get.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

EL BROMANCE posted:

Do they obey robots.txt these days then?

Yeah it's working

User-agent: *
Disallow: /midi/netsynth.php
My question on it was weather or not you can block certain GET variables, like ?action but not ?somethingelse with robots.txt but realized I can just block the whole file.

I'm using HTTP GET because 90% of the website is just a href's targeting a frame passing different actions to a single php file that redirects when done. Can't use POST with links - right?

Probably will recode it to use mostly HTML5/javascript sometime in the near future - maybe.

More pressing, need to add pages to the queue - getting too big, wasting a lot of bandwidth. Site uploaded like 130 gigs this week.

Also it's got a permanent place now in the basement, so will set up an actual webcam sometime in the near future.

The site's gotten a number of hack attempts too. So far the poo poo I have in place is stopping it - redirects aren't allowed to other sites to prevent XSS, parametrized SQL statements...filtering HTML characters from comments....a bit worried what I might be missing, or weird unicode poo poo that I don't know about.

Edit: But not this weekend. Needs more grilling and :cheers:

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 24, 2015

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

NihilismNow posted:

Why the parallel port hookup? It should have PCI and PCI ethernet cards are available for about $1 at a thrift store (well they were, might be all gone now).

There are ISA ethernet cards around, in both 10base2 and 10baseT. I even have a few that should work*; if anyone needs one for an old-school project like this - PM away.

*pulled from working systems, or worked last time they were used

glowing-fish posted:

I might be forgetting my timelines, but wasn't PCI mostly adopted around the Pentium era? I remember that even my Pentium-2 had 3 PCI and 2 ISA slots, so I think most 486s were all ISA...but I could be wrong.

Edit: PCI was introduced in 1992, so if this computer comes from 1994, it seems like it might have PCI slots.

PCI came out late in the 486 era. Before that, there was an intermediate PCI like step called VESA Local Bus. I used to have a few VLB 486 boards, but those are long gone. PCI did reach mainstream in the Pentium 1 days, so yeah you're spot on. I don't know if there were any 486 boards with PCI, but I'd guess there might have been some weird server class boards in existence to cater to odd needs.

Has anyone got some MIDI files that really show off the difference between the Roland and, say a good soundfont on VirtualMIDISynth (awesome software that installs as a MIDI device in windows, and works with everything including DosBOX)?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

why are you doing this to me OP

also memory and cache got a little faster since i bought that computer

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

error1 posted:

why are you doing this to me OP

also memory and cache got a little faster since i bought that computer

drat does that have one of those giant slot processors
What a good computer

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
Didn't think I'd be listening to a midi of Bowie today. Nice one OP!

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Any idea why it sometimes takes a 5 or so minute break between songs?

Also, what about allowing up and down votes to resort the queue?

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Bagarthach posted:

Any idea why it sometimes takes a 5 or so minute break between songs?

Also, what about allowing up and down votes to resort the queue?

Up and down votes to resort the queue would be feasible, but it's not like it's been backed up for hours lately. If it becomes a problem again, then yeah I'll add it.

The 5 minute or 15 minute gaps in silence is the various dos midi players making GBS threads themselves on various songs. I'm blacklisting those songs manually. Right now using PX for Soundblaster, and Megamid for MPU-401. Creative's Playmidi.exe circa 1992 was making GBS threads itself much more often.
I can't really do anything about it, shy of writing my own midi player for DOS or moving it off DOS to maybe Linux or Windows 2000.

I've been waffling back and forth on using the Raspberry PI to do waveform analysis to determine if a sound is stuck, or if it's silent, and then bit bang the PS2 port to hit ESC, CTRL-ALT-DEL, or use an SSR to pull the power. The level of effort for that borders on insanity, though electronics projects are fun.

I need to do some soul searching and figure out what I want to accomplish here. Play midis on real hardware? Could use something more modern, Linux, or something really modern with some sort of ISA bridge. I think even a few PCI cards have the OPL3 chip. It'd be stable. Could also heavily switch it to javascript + html 5 away from frames.

Does it need to run DOS? I feel like a dirty cheater if it doesn't - I don't think most people appreciate that anyway. It doesn't ACTUALLY matter. Why does this need to run 20 year old software? It doesn't. But I wanted it to. And this is what I get. Waking up at night in a panic, sweating, running to the basement to reboot a piece of poo poo, and my cats look at be like I am batshit.

I am broken. Why did I do this?

After the search feature is done, probably gonna leave it alone for a while, unless it blows up.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 25, 2015

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I wouldn't kill power to the computer over and over to reset it, thats a good way to break it. If it has a reset button just splice into the wire for the button and have the raspberry pi push it when it thinks playback is stuck. Ideally if it gets its own room in the basement you should set up a microphone to capture and stream all the clunks and whirrs while it is booting before switching over to the direct sound card output :haw:

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
holy poo poo ff7 music works pretty much perfect

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Bam. Searching. Just print out a list of UMRNs(unique midi routing numbers), and type in the easy to remember 256 character id.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

murex
Apr 30, 2009

by Lowtax

• Locked thread