Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Too late now I guess but I'm confused about black mana. You said it's not a wildcard, so what exactly does it power? Are there some rare black cards out there or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

CirclMastr posted:

gently caress it, I call end of round.

You can't - you can only call End of Round once you have no cards left in your deck. Until then, you have to play or discard one per turn, or if you have a lot of wounds it can be worth discarding a normal card to discard all wounds.

Opopanax posted:

Too late now I guess but I'm confused about black mana. You said it's not a wildcard, so what exactly does it power? Are there some rare black cards out there or something?

Spells (the cards in the top-left of the offer) have two versions: one that costs a colored mana on the top, and one that costs the same colored mana and a black on the bottom.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Hey guys. I'm off on a cruise and as such, will be off the Internet for the next week. I've sent in COs for the next two turns, so hopefully my absence will not be too much of an issue.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Ugh fine I just heal I guess. My hand is garbage.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Awesome, while he heals I'm going to challenge the fortified enemies. Play Improvisation and discard Threaten to block their attack, then grab a red mana die from the source and power Rage to kill them. Flex menacingly.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Goldyx rests, but needs to choose a card to discard along with his wound.

By CO, Arythea discards Promise to gain a green mana, and uses it to power Concentration to play Swiftness for 3+2 attack, killing the orcs outright.

It is Wolfhawk's turn.

Arythea (berenzen) - 5+1 hand, 0 deck, 1 keep.
Wolfhawk (Opopanax) - 4 hand, 0 deck.
Goldyx (CirclMastr) - 5 hand, 5 deck, rest discard choice.
Norowas (Captain Bravo) - 5 hand, 1 deck.
Unit Offer | Fame Tracker | City Status | Site Reference | Unit Reference

Stelas fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 6, 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I've got a question, can I pass through another player's keep? If I want to take the low road around the mountain and not bother with crossing those two walls, can I dip through that keep or do I have to fight to go through it?

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

You have to fight in their keep, getting half fame (rounded up) but taking the keep for yourself.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Walls only add +1 cost to the move, though. That'd be one hell of a low road.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Hand should be +1 from keep. My CO kinda depends on that.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Can I even do anything right now?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

You can declare End of Round?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Opopanax posted:

Can I even do anything right now?

Looking at your hand, not really - your only choice is pretty much to call End of Round, but I prefer to let people do that themselves rather than take it as read, since I've been surprised by players in the past.

berenzen posted:

Hand should be +1 from keep. My CO kinda depends on that.

Whoops, got it. You'd think adding those keep trackers would help me but nooo.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

i'll go ahead and call it then, I don't see a good plan B here

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

It is Goldyx's turn, but he still needs to nominate which card he's going to discard to rest with before I can give him a new hand.

Wolfhawk (Opopanax) - 4 hand, 0 deck, End of Round called!
Goldyx (CirclMastr) - 5 hand, 5 deck, rest discard choice.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Sorry for the delay. Discard Promise to heal.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Goldyx's hand is updated, and he can take his current turn! As a reminder, the round will end once we get around to Wolfhawk again.

Goldyx (CirclMastr) - 5 hand, 3 deck.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I'll use Crystal Joy and the red die for a red crystal, then both March cards and a sideways Rage to get to the maze via SE->E movement.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Goldyx also flips his Crystal Craft skill, before the round ends - no reason not to use it!

It is Norowas' turn.

Goldyx (CirclMastr) - 4 hand, 0 deck.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Ok, I'm going to play Mana Draw and take the Blue and the Red mana die from the source. I'll use the blue to power Stamina, spend two move to move northwest, and spend the other two move to reveal the space to the northeast. If there's nothing interesting there and it's a plains connected, I'll play Mana Bolt and Ritual Attack sideways for two move, then move onto the new tile. If I can't do that, then I'll just not play those two cards. Either way, I'm going to use Crystallize with the red mana die to gain a red mana crystal and end my turn.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Norowas uncovers a village, and moves onto it.

By CO:

berenzen posted:

Activate Prayer of weather. Discard threaten for a green mana. Power Ambush and move to the dungeon for move 3. Enter the dungeon.

(GM: Arythea encounters a Shadow:
  • Armor 4, Elusive 8. That means it has 4 Armor, but if it doesn't get to attack, or if its attack is not fully blocked, it has 8 Armor instead.
  • Arcane Immunity. Any card text that is not a pure number does not work.
  • Cold Fire Attack 4. Cold Fire attacks need both Ice and Fire to be used in order to block it, otherwise your block is at half strength.
)

If shadow, draw a red mana and play improvisation powered discarding march for block 9 (GM: 5, +4 from Ambush's effect). Play battle versatility unpowered and determination unpowered for attack 4, kill.

Arythea levels and gains a Command Token, bringing her default hand size to 6. Her reward roll for the dungeon is white: her choice from two Artifacts. She draws:
Horn of Wrath - Siege Attack 5. Roll a die - if red or black, take a Wound.
Banner of Courage - Assign this to a Unit you control. Once a round, except during combat, you may flip this Banner to Ready the unit.

The round will end after Arythea picks her reward. (It isn't exactly a hard choice.)

Arythea (berenzen) - 0 hand, 0 deck, 1 keep, artifact choice.
Goldyx (CirclMastr) - 4 hand, 0 deck.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Oh for gently caress's sake, the Horn of Wrath? drat!

On the plus side, I am glad that the round is over, so I can march through that forest in the day to claim my keep. :getin:

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Got some internet here on the ship. Gonna update with Taking the Horn of Wrath. Cause Arythea has got to toot her own horn. :v:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

And the round ends. Give me a while and I'll have the next round up and ready.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

imgur is officially running slow enough to screw up some of my scripts. Good job!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ROUND 2 END

The sun rises on the second day. The search for the cities is still underway.

Here is where I'm going to say something a little counter-productive to the players - in your first game of Mage Knight, don't worry about the score too much. It's really hard to beat an experienced player, or even one who's played before - the difference involved in knowing how a deck comes together or what tools are particularly useful for taking out cities is massive and the amount of time and card economy it saves you over the course of one game can be very significant. Not to denigrate berenzen's lead at all - it's a solid start off the blocks, and I'll be curious to see how people go about trying to catch Arythea up.

We're starting to see some players rapidly outpace others in terms of how fast they go through their deck. Remember, Mage Knight is all about how you use your cards to get the most out of them - and that doesn't just mean in terms of their effect, but also in how quickly you can get through your deck and force others to have to do the same. Controlling the pace of the game as a whole can be very beneficial. Finally, as a tip for new players - don't forget Units! They're exceptionally useful as they basically count as extra cards in hand and places to soak wounds with. If you've got free Command Tokens it's always a good plan to pick up a unit as you pass somewhere.

New acquisitions this round will be in bold.

Arythea - 24 cards in deck, 2 wounds

Cards: Ambush, Energy Flow, Snowstorm, Song of Wind, Diamond Ring, Horn of Wrath
Skills: Invocation, Prayer of Weather
Units: Savage Monks

An exceptionally solid round for Arythea, as she cements her position as artillery. Between Ambush's bonus, Snowstorm, and the Horn of Wrath, not to mention the Swiftnesses in her deck and Arythea's unique Battle Versatility card, she can pump out a great deal of ranged and siege damage. The Horn of Wrath deserves special note for being one of the finest cards in the game. 5 Siege Damage, no questions asked, and you might not have to pay a single drat thing for it. Prayer of Weather is a bit of an odd pick, but it's one of the stronger PVP skills - -2 to all movement costs for a turn is a big loving deal, and it can seriously slow down your opponents depending on what terrain they were hoping to go through. The only odd duck out in this collection of new skills is Energy Flow. It doesn't hurt to be able to bring the monks back online, but I don't really like many of the PVP spells compared to the normal ones.

Goldyx - 19 cards in deck, 1 wound

Cards: Fire Bolt, Golden Grail
Skills: Red Crystal Craft
Units: -

No new cards for Goldyx this turn, but a job lot of crystals - which is something that shouldn't be discounted, especially later in the game when you need to summon together all the mana you can. Goldyx is also doing pretty good for himself in the reputation stakes, and the minute he earns any Fame at all he's going to level and be pretty close to his next all at once.

Norowas - 19 cards in deck, 1 wound

Cards: Mana Bolt, Ritual Attack
Skills: Bonds of Loyalty
Units: Utem Crossbowmen, Herbalists, Illusionists

No new cards for Norowas either, but while Goldyx picked up crystals, Norowas picked up a couple of very important units. The Herbalists have the fairly unique ability to re-ready units after they've been used, granting a second chance at some ranged damage from the crossbowmen - or the Illusionists' ability to shut a combat right down. Turning off enemy attacks is very, very big and clever in this game - using white mana to do it blocks many of the resistances you'll see on more powerful enemies. As a bonus, getting them attached to Norowas' Bonds of Loyalty token means he can bring them into places no unit could normally go... such as dungeons, or tombs, or when blowing up monasteries.

Wolfhawk - 20 cards in deck, 3 wounds

Cards: Refreshing Walk
Skills: Know Your Prey
Units: Thugs

Thugs are very interesting troops. Sure, a negative reputation penalty might seem very dangerous, but by and large most Mage Knights will tend towards low reputation anyway. In return for not caring about being a goody-two-shoes, you get a pretty serious amount of block and an absolutely staggering amount of hitpoints for a Rank I unit - 5 HP will beat out most mid-game units, and having to pay two influence to make them take a wound for you is a pretty small cost to bear compared to the alternative.

Wolfhawk's gaining a lot of wounds - these will return during this upcoming round, so Wolfhawk will need to keep an eye on where they might be in her deck, and preferably prepare ways to remove them.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ROUND 3

Please pick Tactics in reverse Fame order; that is, Wolfhawk, Norowas, Goldyx, Arythea. Don't forget to look at your starting hands to see what would be most useful!

Hands and the Offer have been updated.

Wolfhawk (Opopanax) - 5 hand, 15 deck.
Norowas (Captain Bravo) - 5 hand, 14 deck.
Goldyx (CirclMastr) - 5 hand, 14 deck.
Arythea (berenzen) - 6 hand, 18 deck, 1 keep.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'll take mana steal and grab that gold dice

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Opopanax posted:

I'll take mana steal and grab that gold dice

Can't steal the gold (or black), has to be a basic colour.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

poo poo. Ok, Great Start then

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

The Right Moment

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Rethink, discarding the wound, Stamina, and March.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Sorry for the holdup, guys. I've PMmed berenzen to let them know they need to pick a tactic. In the meantime, how is everyone doing with the rules? Any strategy questions that need answering?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Sorry for the delay. Back in a civilization where I'm not paying 75c a minute for Kilobit/sec Internet speeds and can get free WiFi. Will take Early Bird.

Edit: And for my first move I'll unpowered Improvisation discarding Stamina to move onto that monastery and burn it to the ground.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 13, 2015

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Arythea finds friends.

Arythea (berenzen) - 4 hand, 18 deck, 1 keep.
Wolfhawk (Opopanax) - 5+2 hand, 13 deck.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Discard Detrrmination for a green mana. Power savage monks for siege 4 with it. Pull the gold mana for a white token and power Swiftness for 7 ranged total. Kill. Also I took prayer of weather to teleport across the map with song of wind.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

berenzen posted:

Discard Detrrmination for a green mana. Power savage monks for siege 4 with it. Pull the gold mana for a white token and power Swiftness for 7 ranged total. Kill. Also I took prayer of weather to teleport across the map with song of wind.

Your monks shall never side with you against their monk-y bretheren!

p.s. stelas flip the ruins

Istvun fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 14, 2015

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

As Istvun says, units will refuse to join you on a monastery assault (unless you're Norowas and have a Bonds of Loyalty'd unit.) And yeah I need to flip a ruin token.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

poo poo, right. Eat wounds, gold die, power swiftness, unpowered determination for attack 5. Kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Sorry about the delay, imgur is being slow as poo poo.

Arythea takes two wounds, and may choose between the Endless Gem Pouch (create 2 crystals) or the Shield of Fallen Kings (Block 6).

It is Goldyx's turn.

Arythea (berenzen) - 4 hand, 18 deck, 1 keep, artifact choice.
Wolfhawk (Opopanax) - 5+2 hand, 13 deck.

• Locked thread