Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
pick an animal and describe its umvelt
ant
tapir
dog
a majestic bald eagle
View Results

• Locked thread
baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
like you take your dog to the lake and there is this awesome view, but the dog just doesn't seem to give a poo poo about it. like i know he can see the view and his brain might even process it as something new but he seems more interested in a weird rock, so wtf

someone explain to me how animals view the world without using an internal monologue because they dont have that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
try to notice in yourself the difference between your perception and your conception. dogs dont have conception

baw
Nov 5, 2008

that helps a lot, tbqh, but it is still hard to emphatize with what a dog feels when it sees an awesome view but just dont care about it

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Dogs don't appreciate a great view the same way we do, but they really appreciate a great scent. Humans primary sense is sight, a dogs primary sense is smell.

That's why we make such a great team!

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
pulls off wife beater revealinb a tattoo of the shiba dogge* PUT YOUR POOP ON THE loving CURB

baw
Nov 5, 2008

that is a busted-rear end lake lol

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

baw posted:

that is a busted-rear end lake lol

dogs cant interpret busted rear end, they just want to pet the ducks

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Yes, but only in their last moments as the life is strangled out of them.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Cats do enjoy a great view OP. It's why they are better than dogs.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
well the view is probably not as awesome when its in weird black and white dog-o-vision or whatever. plus something way out in the distance may as well be another world for them when they're right there on the ground and there's a weird rock half a foot from their face. seriously just lie down on the ground sometime and try to fathom how different the world is from down there it's crazy.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Cats do enjoy a great view OP. It's why they are better than dogs.

Cats are just looking for things to kill because they are little shits.

And no, dogs cannot enjoy a beautiful view. They can enjoy a swim or fetching a ball though.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Mr. Unlucky posted:

seriously just lie down on the ground sometime and try to fathom how different the world is from down there it's crazy.

doing that att

yes it is weird and hard to type

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
my dog cant my dog is blind

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Sometimes I let my dogs outside and when I come back they're both sitting on the step together staring off into the distance, I think they appreciate the view beyond the front gate and also good company.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

baw posted:

like you take your dog to the lake and there is this awesome view, but the dog just doesn't seem to give a poo poo about it. like i know he can see the view and his brain might even process it as something new but he seems more interested in a weird rock, so wtf

someone explain to me how animals view the world without using an internal monologue because they dont have that

How do you know there is no monologue?

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
my dog stops being dumb for 10 minutes every day so he can climb on top of the couch and look out the window while the sun sets, i think he enjoys the view

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
you can see 7 times higher than the dog so probably not unless you trick the dog onto a mountain

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.
i think they notice it but maybe react differently to it

like you wanna sit there and take in the view and the dog is like "man thats a nice view lets go play in it"

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Naw they're too busy wondering why we don't appreciate beautiful scents to appreciate beautiful views. They're all like, "Human why are you looking over there? There's this dead, rotting corpse right here and it smells glorious! Come roll in it with me!"

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

WAR FOOT posted:

my dog cant my dog is blind
how does he smell?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

they probably can OK but a scent-based pack hunters idea of a beautiful view is different than a really tall scavenging savannah chimp's idea of a beautiful view, OP

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 15, 2015

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.

good dog

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

only works on mountains

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JakeP posted:

<lowtax
^gbs

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
the dog is looking down at the ground though
as long as they enjoy things thats the important part

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

a dog knows what it knows, and maybe that's enough

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i think the real question is can humans enjoy a beautiful butt smell

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

XMNN posted:

how does he smell?

like fritos, just like every other dog

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

press z or r twice

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Mr. Pumroy posted:

I know I can

FunkyFlashman
May 10, 2013
Of course animals have internal dialogue. Also a train of thought is a fundamental process that can happen with less complex thoughts as well i would bet. And i bet when a dog is sniffing something nice it doesn't go bee bop interesting smell idenitfied it is more like "woa wtf is that?" . They even have feelings, what can you say? omg

FunkyFlashman fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 15, 2015

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

baw posted:

they are intelligent, and bound to the earth, so they are part of the view, rather than observers of it

humans are clever, but are not intelligent like animals. their cleverness has unbound them from the earth.

lordoftheT
Feb 2, 2015

Check out this cool dog!

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Butt smell is the only thing that can get me started really.

Aryu Kiddimeh
Nov 9, 2012
idk why dont you ask him

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Enfield posted:

dogs cant interpret busted rear end, they just want to pet the ducks

My little sister had a baby duck for a school project or something right around the same time we had a pair of four month old puppies. One of the puppies would constantly harass the duckling and the other would defend it. Eventually the duckling would run away from the bully dog and hide underneath the other dog. The protector dog would lick the duckling and the duckling would nuzzle or nibble at the dog's snout. When the duck got older, my sister took it to a nearby pond and released it and it eventually joined the other ducks there. But whenever we took the dog down to the pond, we'd let her off leash and she'd go run after all the ducks and all but one would run or fly away, that one would go right up to our dog and the two of them would start playing on the edge of the pond.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

My Q-Face posted:

My little sister had a baby duck for a school project or something right around the same time we had a pair of four month old puppies. One of the puppies would constantly harass the duckling and the other would defend it. Eventually the duckling would run away from the bully dog and hide underneath the other dog. The protector dog would lick the duckling and the duckling would nuzzle or nibble at the dog's snout. When the duck got older, my sister took it to a nearby pond and released it and it eventually joined the other ducks there. But whenever we took the dog down to the pond, we'd let her off leash and she'd go run after all the ducks and all but one would run or fly away, that one would go right up to our dog and the two of them would start playing on the edge of the pond.

i didn't think it was possible, but this post literally killed me with cuteness. i'm dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

• Locked thread