Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Just wondering, like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Takes me about five minutes, its actually the only pick up line i use.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
first time i bit into a double double

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Dollas posted:

You don't bite coffee, retard :canada:

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.
If you can say it without feeling like you're lying or putting on an act just to impress her(or him) then that's a good indicator.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
Are you in love, opus??

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Dollas posted:

this but animal style

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
When I can say the words without my voice cracking with insincerity.

Still haven't done it.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
After a few weeks, and when we save-stated through Battletoads, stopping at that level that they accidentally made impossible with two players.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy
So I was being introduced to a friend of a friend. When we shook hands, I had this weird flash of a feeling, like he was the only real, living person in a world of paper cut outs. I don't have better words for it; it was just a jolt.

I thought "huh, that's weird" and brushed it off.

Six years later, we got married.

I couldn't tell you when I fell in love, or when I knew it, because it was all a gradual slow process, but have a weird story about emotional static electricity anyway.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.

spacing in vienna posted:

So I was being introduced to a friend of a friend. When we shook hands, I had this weird flash of a feeling, like he was the only real, living person in a world of paper cut outs. I don't have better words for it; it was just a jolt.

I couldn't tell you when I fell in love, or when I knew it, because it was all a gradual slow process, but have a weird story about emotional static electricity anyway.

When people tell stories like this it really interests me. Like, what did your mind sense about this person? Was it simply a very strong physical attraction? (And then you got lucky and they turned out to have a compatible personality too?) Or was there something about they way the person carried themselves that alerted your brain that they had a personality that you would really like? Both? Neither? Coincidence? Cosmic destiny???

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

NationofCrustaceans posted:

When people tell stories like this it really interests me. Like, what did your mind sense about this person? Was it simply a very strong physical attraction? (And then you got lucky and they turned out to have a compatible personality too?) Or was there something about they way the person carried themselves that alerted your brain that they had a personality that you would really like? Both? Neither? Coincidence? Cosmic destiny???

I have a similar story. I arrived at college and my now wife of 16 years was behind the desk at my dorm checking people in. The second I saw her, I thought to myself, "I'm going to marry this woman". No spark of attraction other than the normal appreciation of an attractive woman. Nothing exciting. I just knew.

I was able to wear her down by the start of second quarter, freshman year and we're still together.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
It sounds really cheesy, but when we first met something in my brain went "if we start dating we'll end up married". We met in 2010 and got engaged after dating for a little over 2 years and survived graduating college, moving halfway across the country away from everyone we knew, and transitioning into becoming "real adults" together before getting engaged in 2012. We got married a little under a year and a half ago. Neither of us is the super sappy romantic type so it was a long time before either of us said "I love you" to the other, even though it was understood for a longer than that I think.

There wasn't any sort of instant sparks or butterflies in my stomach or anything, it was just a feeling of being comfortable around him and compatibility I'd never experienced with anyone else. I've never had to pretend to be someone else or felt the need to go out of my way to impress him like I've felt with other people I've dated. It helps that we met through a mutual friend who knew both of us and thought we'd get along (said friend who introduced us is currently 2/2 on introductions turning into marriages), so we didn't just blindly meet out of some weird cosmic destiny so we had a bit of a leg up for that aspect. Funnily enough my husband was the second guy my friend called up to be my date for the evening after the first guy chickened out. I don't think we would've met it the first guy hadn't decided not to come out.

Weirdly enough I absolutely didn't like the instant "we're going to get married!" feeling I got when I first met him since I had just gotten out of a relationship and was enjoying being single, and being faced with the end-game of singledom wasn't too appealing. I actually blew him off for a couple months after we met because of that, but eventually we started dating and here we are. I've apologized for being a dick to him at the beginning several times, but I really wasn't ready for dating much less dating the dude my brain was telling me was going to be my future husband while I was still recovering from a lovely breakup.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Dollas posted:

surc posted:

this but animal style

my dudeeeeeess

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Probably the closest I've come is when I went to my cousin's wedding. The MC was a friend of hers and was the focus of all this. We were all from out of town, so we were all staying in the same hotel and we kind of ran into each other and spent some time there. I got maybe a little jolt when we met and she just gave me a little smile. We went walking together a few times, and talked, and it just kind of got worse. There was one night where I just cried for like half an hour, not because I was sad or anything, but because I was just so overwhelmed I didn't really know what else to do with all that emotion. During the wedding reception I went out and danced with her for a while. I do not dance, but I did then. I couldn't bring myself to tell her until I was at the airport for my flight home, but I called and told her. I even almost felt my knees give out while I was doing it.

It was a week until I heard back, and it gave me a little time to think. Something she had said had given me the impression that she had a child from someone. I had never even thought about being a father figure before, but I was ready to try and make it work. Yes, I'm in one of the southwestern most states and she's in one of the northern most ones. I didn't care, I'd move. That week was probably the single happiest week I've ever had in my entire life, and I've never felt that way before or since, nor have I really felt that way about anyone else. I don't know when I figured out it was true, or even if it was, but there it is.

Anyway, she called back and we got to talking, and over a few different conversations I got that she liked me too, but we're like half a country apart and besides she's in the middle of moving in with her current boyfriend.

Oh. Oh, good, alright then.

It still took me six months before I removed her contact information from my phone.

FTGE.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
No such thing as true love OP but I'm telling my story anyway.

Met my guy on an internet dating website that we gays sometimes use. I chatted to him one evening online and decided internet chatting was for chumps so I arranged to meet him for a coffee and a chat like a proper grown up person. Somehow felt like I already knew him when I met him and proceeded to do the same every day for the next week.

Eventually we discovered we had the same birthday, our mother's first and middle names were the same (different people, I can assure you) and we both always order the same thing from Subway.

It's been 5 years now so I guess we did something right.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I'd say it took me a few months to know it was love.

I knew it was true when something happened that upset him a lot (something pretty serious to do with his family) and my feeling of wanting to protect him and anger at the people who had made him sad was as intense as when something happened to one of my children or siblings.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
When I measure the skin, and it turns out to be the exact right dimensions for that lamp I was thinking of making

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.
Someone post the thermostat conversation.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
I crushed hard on my wife when we first met but love didn't really happen until our first kiss. Holy crap that memory is still so vivid to this day. :kimchi:

Context edit: we dated starting in 2007, married just short 2 years ago thanks to goons in the SAMart funding our wedding.

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 26, 2015

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy

Well, it's a weird case in my example, because while I didn't know him, I knew OF him, and I didn't like him. As I said, he was a friend of a friend, and the extended group had just gone through major, extremely stupid drama (we were in college, so, yeah). Nobody had the full story, events were being garbled, blah blah blah, but because of some misunderstandings, I was convinced this Scott guy was a tremendous douchebag.

So I was very "ugh, why is HE here" that night but decided I'd be polite, and shook his hand. Then bam, weird jolt.

My immediate response obviously wasn't "MY SOULMATE" since I still thought he was a tool. But I was suddenly sure that I'd misjudged him somehow, that he wasn't who I thought he was. Maybe it was something in how he carried himself, I'm not even sure.

And then I got pissed, because I was already having a bad night, and uggggh here I was having to be mature and face up to misconceptions about that Scott rear end in a top hat when I really just had been planning on getting drunk and bitching with my friends. (I had just gotten dumped, and ... I mentioned this was college, right?)

So I tried being cranky at him, but I failed, and I just ... Couldn't stop talking to him. And the more I talked to him, the more I realized he was just a genuinely good person, and not an rear end in a top hat, which was seriously just ruining my attempt to get a good antisocial sulk on.

And then he was telling someone else about his major, which was the same as my ex, and I remember thinking "how cliche, another one, really?" ... And that was how I actually consciously realized I was into him. It had not even hit me until that moment.

We finally broke off from the group and spent most of the night talking and snuggled up together, because seriously, this story needed another cliche in it, I guess? Anyway. We started dating that night. I don't know when it was love, or what that flicker meant, but I thought I'd share.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
We both immediately noticed that we were intoxicated by the scent of the other, like we sensed on a chemical level that we should be together. The wedding is next month!

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

spacing in vienna posted:

I know that feeling.

I met my guy online through a mutual friend, and at first we were just pals. Then I heard him talk on voice chat, and I felt this weird tingle running over my skin. I don't know if it was really love at the first word there, but a few months later I flew across the country to see him.

When he kissed me, I knew I was in love. The week we spent together was honestly the best time of my life til then.

I moved 1200 miles to be by his side, and it's been five years. I've never been so happy :kimchi:

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

A friend called me to hang out and said he had a guy he really wanted me to meet, even though he knew I wasn't looking to date anyone at the time. So I go out and hang with them and a couple other people all day, and it turns out that my friend was right and we really got along. We did the whole number exchange/awkward goodbye thing and made plans to see each other the next weekend.

I ended up really sick with strep later that week and this new guy keeps texting me while I'm at the hospital and trying to cheer me up, which I thought was sweet as hell. He pretty much made sure that every time I woke up there was something happy to read. It ended up that we had a ton in common. We both got this weird attached companionship feeling, like being together was what we were supposed to do or something.

We spent the entire next weekend together. I joked about running off to Vegas to get married since we got along so well... he said "Why not?" So less than three weeks later we went to a courthouse and got married. It'll be six years at the end of June.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
My wife and I fell pretty hard and fast, but I don't think there was any sense of love at first sight. Our first date wasn't even that spectacular, it was just a pretty good first date that led to even better dates and just sort of snowballed from there. I think we both kind of knew within a month and a half, although I remember we both waited another month before saying "I love you" just to be sure.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
It came over me slowly over the course of our first month together, but there was a moment when I knew I was falling for him hard. His best friend had gotten sick that last night, and while I was at work my boyfriend spent the day making his friend chicken noodle soup (and then forcing him to eat it).

It seems so small, but his kindness and the way we went out of his way to do that really touched me.

He also sent me a good morning text every single morning when he was away doing army stuff the next month we were together, which made me want to stick around. Even short-term long-distance is improved by doing sweet stuff like that. :)

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I was actually best friends with my fiance for the first 3.5 years of college. We just always hung out together and were truly friends, but we had this tinge of continuously, and I mean even like daily, challenging each other (we are were both alphas) so there was a very strong and unique bond, but really no friend zoning or awkward longing to be a couple...well then senior year we cuddled for a few nights, then started getting physical. She laid down the hammer and said its date or no date...so we started dating!

It was kinda strange at first but, as someone earlier brilliantly stated, we transitioned into normal adult life and got on the mostly the same page in terms of wants and needs. I think my favorite part is, although we can still butt heads, we still find each other interesting and genuinely like being around each other for many hours every day.

So yea sometimes love comes through a weird and long form of friendship...

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

I can remember the exact moment I fell in love with my husband. It was not nearly "at first sight." It was maybe six months or more after we had first met. When we met, we lived in two different cities. I was in a relationship with someone else. I didn't think much of him at the time because of that. He was someone I was meeting and would likely not see again. But the friend who introduced us insisted that she had noticed a spark and we would be great together. I blew her off since I was with someone else. When I was single again, she started pushing it again because of that "spark" and would do things like put him on the phone when I called her (they were neighbors). Eventually we started talking on our own and emailing, and decided to meet up again in person when he came to visit a friend in my town.

It turned out the friend he was staying with lived only three blocks from me, so we agreed that he would hang out at his friend's place for a while, then come get me and bring me to his friend's party to hang out and meet all his friends. When he knocked on my door, I opened it and he was all out of breath. I asked him why, and he told me that when he had left his friend's house he had suddenly gotten really nervous about seeing me, so he ran all the way to my place to try and work off the nerves. I found that so loving adorable that I fell in love with him on the spot.

Knowing that I would marry him took a lot longer. I can't point to any one thing that made me know it ... but he has told me that he knew he would marry me when I had this exceptionally bad day. My car got towed right before I was supposed to leave on a cross-country flight and it was one of those "anything that can go wrong, will" kind of days. I was talking to him throughout the day as I was taking care of things and re-arranging things, and the way I just took everything in stride and didn't externally fall apart or freak out, just handled it all, one thing after another, convinced him I was a lady he wanted to marry, apparently.

It turned out to be a good decision, we've been married for 13 years now.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
It's endurance. People call it love when they feel good. When you can live through the bad poo poo and laugh about it later, that's love.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

a dog from hell posted:

It's endurance. People call it love when they feel good. When you can live through the bad poo poo and laugh about it later, that's love.

This is the correct answer, it's endurance and being free and open and not holding grudges.

Galileo Fingers
Jun 28, 2008
I knew I was in love with my fiance about a year into our friendship. We would always just go walking around lots of places, and at the time we lived very close to the beach. We were both in college so we were awake at all hours - and one night after spending most of the last few days on final projects, we decided to go for walk on the beach. I remember talking to him, and thinking to myself how easy it was to just be there with him, and let my guard down about everything. I knew I was in love when he looked at me, and it seemed like he was really looking at who I was, and was happy for it. For me at least, realizing I was in love had everything to do with the idea that I could go anywhere and be in any situation, and it would always be improved by him being there with me. At the same time, I think people realize they are in love over and over again in different situations, and sometimes its just a quiet realization, and other times it's like someone hit you over the head with it.
He passed away seven weeks ago after being together for five years. All of those little moments are what I remember most.

Mirrors
Oct 25, 2007
When she smiled at me and my heart pretty much stopped, and when I tried to leave without getting her number after talking for hours (because I was convinced she was out of my league) and she said "don't you want to find out if I'm the one?"

Hell yeah I wanted to find out. Still no way to be sure but it's gone good so far.

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!
I don't know if true love exists, but I knew with my finance after only being together a short three months or so.

It's hard to explain, we started dating really slowly and just sort of grew together. Suddenly there was a point when I just had this overwhelming feeling that I couldn't live without her. It happened at a really random moment. I think we were lying in bed watching something. I looked at her, she looked at me and without even saying a word I knew that she felt the same way.

It's now a year later and I've put a ring on her finger.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Execu-speak posted:

I don't know if true love exists, but I knew with my finance after only being together a short three months or so.

It's hard to explain, we started dating really slowly and just sort of grew together. Suddenly there was a point when I just had this overwhelming feeling that I couldn't live without her. It happened at a really random moment. I think we were lying in bed watching something. I looked at her, she looked at me and without even saying a word I knew that she felt the same way.

It's now a year later and I've put a ring on her finger.

Why did you put a ring on her finger? I don't get it. Can she take it off if she wants?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Back To 99 posted:

Why did you put a ring on her finger? I don't get it. Can she take it off if she wants?

Cause he liked it.

Surfboard.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
She asked me if I wanted a lap dance, and I said "yes."

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

The second I saw her. Them moment I spoke to her.

17 years ago.

Vigilante Banana
Jul 28, 2010

Low five! Yaaaaaay
I knew I was falling in love with him the first time we kissed, but the first time I said "I love you" was a few weeks in to being an "official" couple. We were at a store, and I was nerding out about a display or something while oblivious to a family with small children trying to get around me. He shushed me, took me by the shoulders, moved me out of the way, and apologized to the people behind me. Just calm and gentle. I laughed out loud, asked him what the gently caress just happened, and then I couldn't hold it in. I kinda just blurted it out. He smiled and told me he loved me too, and that was it.

Vigilante Banana fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 4, 2015

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I envy the people who fell in love and are still are with that person.

I was seeing a girl that I knew was in a long distance relationship. I don't know how long we had been seeing each other when this happened, but one day at work I started thinking about how I wanted to be her boyfriend officially. The thought of her being with someone else suddenly made me physically sick. I really felt like I was going to throw up and thankfully I wasn't working alone because mid conversation with my coworker I just turned around and rushed to the back and started dry heaving in the backroom leaving them to watch the store. I stayed back there like 10 or 15 minutes crying and dry-heaving on the floor. It finally passed when I decided that I was going to make her dump the other guy. Then I felt much much better, but very nervous and really anxious to see her again.

I'd had girlfriends before this, but that was my 'first love' I guess. Added bonus, when we didn't work out I was even more physically sick about it.

The second time was a real mind-gently caress because with the girl above we had a pregnancy scare once and all I could think was that my life was over and that I wasn't ready. When the new girl told me she had a miscarriage I was really devastated by it and I felt like I really missed out on something and I wasn't any more ready then than I was before. That's when I really knew I was in love with her, and wanted a future with her and kids and all that poo poo. It wasn't a scary idea to me, it made me happy. poo poo didn't work out with her either ultimately and I had to have some serious counseling after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BagOfDucks
Nov 9, 2009
I once told a girl "I love you" but she got upset about it and broke up with me. She didn't want any emotional bond I guess.

• Locked thread