Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Father Frank

The priest stays quiet as the magic skull is revealed. He looks it over carefully, trusting Sam, but at the same time looking to verify.

We've got Occultism 13 and Religious Scholar! 14 to determine exactly what kind of magic is at work here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
Ground Level

"I was helpful, you guys refused accept my help. I was going to give you a heads up on the codes that they use on everything in the warehouse. That's passed now and I don't smoke. Not now anyways. Vices of life fail to excite me now that I'm dead." The skull stops speaking for a moment and then carries on.

"The U designation is that its in a unique holding situation. Its not a normal box on a shelf. The one means that its on the lowest floor of this structure. The Delta references the area of the floor where its stored. That floor has a lot of unique holding situations, so the normal shelf designations don't work for it. The size of it is up to 38 inches by 38 inches. I can't tell you if its dangerous though. They blocked that information out. Not everything on that level is liable to kill you, but whatever you have to get there is probably going to be a pain in the rear end to deal with.

The two D items are on display in the display floor, which is the second floor up from the bottom. One is the same size as the U item and the other one is smaller than two feet by two feet.

Don't know about your boy Roy. He's in a weird dimensional vortex that isn't very well understood. If you find him, then I'd assume he'd be in one piece. Not sure if he'd be alive though."

The skull moves over to stare at Father Frank.

"Yeah? Don't like this devil, black magic voodoo?"

The skull was referring to William before. William is pretty comfortable with all this weirdness.

What Father Frank discovers is that Freddie is probably what he says he is. A spirit/soul who is stuck in his skull. Some of the writing on the skull refers to the containment of spirits. In addition to Freddie, it appears that whoever bound Freddie's soul to the skull also attached a minor non-sentient air elemental to it. The air elemental is evidenced by the pale blue glow and the skull's ability to levitate in the air. When the skull stares at him, the Padre sees inside the skull. It appears that interior of the skull is covered in miniscule lettering etched into the skull and is inked as well.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Burke

Burke watched Freddy the skull float with a mixture of amusement and fascination. He was not entirely unfamiliar with things that made no scientific sense (he figured out some alchemy, after all!), but this was something else. Magic that could manipulate the dead and allow things that had no business flying to fly? How wondrous! Burke looked forward to seeing what W23 had as far as libraries were concerned.

He cleared his throat, "I believe the display floor seems to be the better option. Everybody ready to go?"

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Father Frank

"Listen, buddy, I didn't mean nothin' by it," Frank answers the skull, "You understand we gotta be careful about everything we meet in here, considerin'." The priest relaxes considerably once he's comfortable with exactly what Freddie is, "I'm Frank. It's nice to meet you, Freddie. And thanks for helpin' out. I'd shake your hand, but, you know."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Ground Level

"Padre, its only natural for you to be against something like me. Trafficking with spirits? Casting spells? That ain't kosher by Catholic standards. Unless things changed since last I got out of this place."

At Burke's suggestion, there are nods. When all the previous items have been off loaded, the group gets back into the elevator (along with a floating skull) and the button for the display floor is hit.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Burke

Burke decided to engage in some good ol' fashioned elevator banter, "So, uh, what's the deal with that creepy doll anyway?"

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

William

He sits on the floor of the elevator during the ride to the display level, chewing through a handful of jelly beans. He listens to the skull explain the details of the items left to gather, nodding as he takes in each piece of information. With the skull being this useful, he's glad it's accompanying them through the final levels.

Shrugging at his question, he looks up at Burke. "Whatever the deal with that doll is, I'm surprised it didn't even try to bite my ankles as we left."

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Burke

Burke held his hand out for a jellybean, "Right? I was expecting something out of one of those old Bruce Campbell movies at very least."

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Nick Brophy

"More like Chucky. Good thing it didn't have a knife, that we know of." Nick swaps to a fresh magazine. Not really enough time at the moment to refill, maybe in the next lull.

I'm going out of town on vacation for a week, feel free to NPC me around. Here's my combat block in case it's relevant. Catch y'all next week.

pre:
----- combat block -----

ST 12; DX 10; IQ 14; HT 12
HP 12; FP 12; Per 15; Will 15; Basic Speed: 6; Basic Move: 5
Thr: 1d-1, Sw: 1d+2, Punching(Boxing): 1d+1
Luck, Recovery, Fearlessness 3, Hard to Kill 3, Hard to Subdue 2

AC: 30 (Torso)

Guns/TL8 (Pistol)  14, Fast-Draw (Pistol)  10 (DX+0)
Boxing  14 (DX+4), Feint (Boxing)  15

MX Animal TASER skill 14/1d-3pi,HT-10(0.5) aff/Range 7/RoF1/Shots 2(3i)/Bulk -2
Glock 22 .40S&W skill 14/2d+1 pi+/Range 160/1800/RoF 3/Shots 15+1(3)/Bulk -2

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Elevator

"What they tell me is that it was to keep me company. You guys saw how much of a conversationalist it was. It'd be real fun talking to it. I think that doll was put there to keep anything from getting to me. Everything is creeped out by dolls, so worked as a good deterrent. What most people don't know is that it doesn't move. All she can do is talk and spook people."

Started a new temp job and I'm getting used to it. Also I'm still working on the display room, so I don't have much of anything right now. Either people can keep bantering in the elevator or wait for me to to post. I'm hoping the display floor will be interesting. A quick overview of it is that its a museum of things that shouldn't exist.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Display floor

The elevator dings and the door opens. As the doors open, the display room can be seen. It appears to be slightly smaller than the floors above it. It has the same length, but narrower. Along the walls rows of individual display cases. Dimly lit with brighter lights illuminating the displays. At the top of each of the cases is a large sign identifying what is kept in each case. The items are enclosed by glass and beneath the glass are plaques describing what is in each case.

"Look all you want down here. Most of the items here are safe, but there's always the small chance of something not being safe. All the items held here have their identification numbers displayed. When you find the ones you want, then you can open up the case to get the item. The boxes to carry them are in a cabinet underneath the display."

Towards the other end of the room one of the display cases is positioned in the middle of the room (unlike the others that are set against the walls). Due to the position of the case being directly in front of the elevator everyone can't help but see what is inside of it. The display case holds a three foot in diameter orb that has a face on it. The face is smiling, but it doesn't appear to be a friendly smile.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

B. Urke

Burke cleared his throat and spoke up, "Alright, from this floor, I believe we need a 'Rb2gCMi' and a 'Ev3B5pl'. Burke walked out of the elevator, looking at each of the cases he passed to see if they were the requested items. He stopped near the case containing the Angry Orb and read the sign.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

William

"Alright, let's start from the top of the list and work our way down." He gazes around the display floor, wondering when the next creature intent on killing them will make itself known. Following Burke, he too stops by the orb case.

"Hey," he says to their floating skull companion. "What's the deal with the sinister orb?"

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Nick Brophy

"It's probably safe, right Fred?" Nick takes position on the left of the group as they move into the room.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Father Frank

"Orbs usually have something to do with conquest, domination and power," Frank throws out academically from the back, trying to stay where it's safe, "Their shape symbolizes the world, with bonus symbolism that you can usually hold them in one hand."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Display level

"Its quite safe." Freddy said, "The thing just stares at you. If it weren't boxed in by glass, it'd follow you around staring at you. When they came upon, they were worried too. Until they realized it didn't do anything. Made capturing it easy."

Burke strode forth into the room. To either side of him were displays of various strange and possibly wonderful things. One of the displays catches his attention for a brief moment, but he doesn't dwell on it. He comes up to the strange org with a face. It stares at him as he reads the plaque for it.

quote:

Orb with face
Found 2001
This is a non-speaking orb with the approximate humanoid representation of a face on it. It does not appear to show any sapience. This orb makes no noises and appears to levitate by some unknown means. The sole purpose of this object appears to be watching and following people.
D2#4-##00.10BLUE10EAU:uh874u9

"What you're looking for is down at the end. The last case on both side should have what you want."

With my new job, I'm having trouble getting myself to post. But I will post.

Down the hallway are ten display cases with the orb face in the middle near the far end of the room. Here is a list of what is briefly seen in each case starting from the one closet to the elevator.

Displays on the the left:
#1: A pile of jelly beans spread out over a black velvet cloth. They look remarkably like William's.
#2: Green glowing orb sitting on top of a black stand.
#3: Human mannequin that has had its head cut into revealing electronics or something.
#4: Large black binder with a label on it that says "Directory of Criminals and Illegal Enterprises of the United States North East.
#5: Rusting metal spearhead

Displays on the right:
#1: Black crystal skull
#2: Painting of various blue hues.
#3: Wooden goblet without any apparent ornamentation.
#4: Desiccated small hand with a hairy wrist. The fingers are clenched in a fist, except for the middle one.
#5: WWII walkie-talkie

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Nick Brophy

"Let's get this over with" Nick headed down the aisle along with Burke, scanning the plaques as he went. His paced slowed slightly as each item passed raised his curiousity. Some of them seemed so esoteric that it was impossible to guess at their use or their threat. Jellybeans could be anything, and a painting should just be a painting, right? Where were the guided audio-tours that were always being pushed at museums? If they were here in this place they'd probably melt your skull. Other items looked far more interesting. He paused in front of the binder. He looked over the glass case without touching it, and read the baseplate. Then shifted over to read the baseplate on the spearhead. "That's easy to carry."

Resist curiousity: 3d6 12 Welp, gonna poke things! Or at least take some interest, how are the cases closed?

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Display Floor

Nick goes up- to the display case with the spear head. Tip of the spear appears to have a small amount of brown discoloration. It appears to be made of iron and very old. The plaque for the display reads:

plaque posted:

Heilige Lanze
This is the lance head used to pierce the side of one Joshua Ben Joseph who at the time was crucified with two criminals. Research has discovered many unusual qualities associated with the spear head. Not least of which is that the possessor of said spear is immune from defeat. However it seems that losing possession of the spear brings with it dire consequences. Proof of this power can be seen when operatives of the Warehouse gained possession of the spear head from a secure vault underneath Wewelsburg castle. The next day Allied forces landed on Normandy. Other powers and abilities of the spear head are located in the information file for this item.

D2#2-##00.70YELLOW46AKDMP:GVX5RbG

Looking around the case itself, Nick finds that there are no locks to prevent access to contents inside. Opening up a case looks like a simple task.

Basically, unless there's some reason for a different configuration, all the items on display can be accessed by a switch on the side. The switch opens up a glass panel on the side to allow access to item inside.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

William

He keeps pace with Nick and he too glances at each display they pass. The jelly beans earn a chuckle and he pops a few of his own into his mouth as he looks for any information regarding them. "Perhaps each colour makes one feel a different emotion," he muses to himself. "Or various forms of poison..." They do look delicious, but he knows better than to be tasting things like this out of curiosity, immortality or not.

Looking then at the display for the spear tip, he says to Nick. "If dire consequences come to those who give up possession of that spear tip, I would not pick it up with your hand, in case it takes effect when you have to hand it back over."

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Last few weeks of school were hectic, resuming regular posting schedule now.

Burke

While Nick and William focused on the left side of the room, Burke went down the right. He stopped to read the plaque for the Very Rude Hand before stopping at the display for the WW2 walkie talkie. What did it do?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Father Frank

Like a kid in a candy store, Frank lights up at the room full of relics displayed in the open for all (with Warehouse clearance) to see. "Now this is why I got into this business." He looks intently at the spear head, admiring its craftsmanship, mentally comparing it to every other early Imperial Era Roman spear he'd seen, while simultaneously taking in the religious significance of the artifact.

The priest then turns his attention to the wooden cup on the other side of the room with a pretty solid guess of what it might be.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Display floor

In the case with the walkie-talkie the plaque for the case says:

plaque posted:

The Radio of the Dead
A SCR-536, hand-held radio transceiver used by the US Army Signal Corps in World War II. It is popularly referred to as a walkie talkie, although it was originally designated a "handie talkie".

Discovered in an Italian castle during the post-world war II era, this portable radio transceiver was located in a crypt unopened since the Medieval ages. It doesn't need a power source to function. Research on the device revealed that depending on the proper tuning one can contact dead military leaders. Until more research is done on it, this item is not to be used.

D2#2-##00.10*BLUE10EU:Ev3B5pl

Hectic times for me. I'll post again with the other case contents, but wanted everyone to know I haven't abandoned this game.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Display Floor

The plaque for the case with jelly beans reads:

plaque posted:

Alchemical Jelly Beans
The provenance of these candy confections is currently unknown. The Warehouse discovered these altered candies after a batch of these were released to the public mixed in with normal jelly beans. The jelly beans alchemical properties were activated upon eating them. The strange effects of the candy came to the attention of a Warehouse surveillance team whom discovered that they were treated with alchemical preparations. All the jelly beans were collected and removed from public consumption. An investigation into the origin of the candy found the factory where they were created, but couldn't find evidence of when they were treated with alchemical elixirs. An investigation into the origin of these candies is ongoing.

Known effects of the candy are numerous. It appears that each flavor and color jelly bean produces a specific alchemical effect. The alchemical effect is only triggered post mastication of the jelly beans by a human. All scientific analysis of the candy only reveals that the candy is normal candy. For a list of known effects, please contact the Science department with the identification number.

D2#1-##00.*GREEN4ABDU:JBBKYnH

Father Frank goes over to the case where the wooden cup stands. The cup appears to be carved out of one piece of wood and very old. The plaque reads,

plaque posted:

San Graal
This plain wooden cup has been dated back to the 1st century A.D. The warehouse discovered it in a monastery in France. All investigations into it lead to it being the chalice used by Joshua Ben Joseph and a group of his acolytes during feast. A few days later blood of Joshua Ben Joseph had been collected in it. Historical records of it are nonexistent until it appears in French monastery.

Extreme care must be used when dealing with this artifact. Rumors of its powers are not exaggerated. It can bring the dead back to life, heal any wound, and it might be able to give anyone drinking from it immortality. Other powers are on record as well. While this artifact has amazing abilities, anyone using it would also suffer the after effects of it. Known after effects include hallucinations (both audio and visual), personality changes, and obsession with the artifact.

D2#2-##00.60GREEN6ABDCHs:Pge7fzx

I'll finish the rest later.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Burke

Burke read the plaque for the walkie talkie again. Dead military leaders, huh? He wondered if the radio contacted only currently dead military leaders or all military leaders who would ever die. The metaphysical implications were staggering either way. He felt around the bottom of the radio's podium for the compartment that contained the item's travel container. Once he found it, he boxed up the radio, making sure to follow any instructions that may have been included with the packaging.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Father Frank

His hypothesis soundly confirmed, the priest tries to contain his emotion as eye eyes the glorious grail. He crosses himself, but can't stop tears from streaming down his face.

He stands before the holy grail of Christian archaeology. Literally. Frank is utterly captivated.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

I think this game might be dead. Is there anyone else in the group besides Roland and Bloodnose? If I know there's more than two people posting, I'll keep the game going.

Also sorry about not posting for a while. I've began to get ready for a move across town and its taken up a lot of my energy.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Nick Brophy

"I don't think the things in here are directly dangerous, these boxes aren't even locked. See?" Nick goes to the case next to the spearhead, with the black binder and opens it. He pulls the binder out and leafs through a couple pages. "Father Frank here may be a better example of the danger of these objects. What they represent."

He sets down the binder back in the box, and heads to the spearhead. "We're keeping it in-house, if there's a curse it sounds like it works on a more organizational level." With that he removes the spearhead from the case.

I know what you mean, I've been remodeling my house and I am SAPPED at the end of the day.
Anyway, Nick will try to remember what he read off of the binder of crime lords, curiosity is one thing but I doubt I could justify walking off with it.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

My sincerest apologies for my lack of posting for so long. Life has gotten on top of me in a big way and because of this (and probably expected by my long absence) I'm afraid I will have to pull out of the game. The time and energy simply aren't there as much as I'd like them to be. Sorry to all you guys and especially Doc as I hate to let you guys down, but I feel this is better than me limping on as I have been up to now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

O.K. this thing is done. The move I'm in the middle of is taking up all my energy.

• Locked thread