Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
speaking of death, i still don't fully get the 'suicide is illegal' thing that some places have.

you can't prosecute the dead, and if you're trying to kill yourself, you most likely don't give a flying gently caress about the law if you fail.

basically in a nutshell: kill yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
It's more a way of forcing someone who attempted suicide to get help.

They don't prosecute with jail time just court ordered therapy.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Shadow posted:

It's more a way of forcing someone who attempted suicide to get help.

They don't prosecute with jail time just court ordered therapy.

Does it come up on criminal record checks etc?

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
probably, last thing you want to do is hire a mentally ill person lmao

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Boston has just executed Tom Brady. White America in shock

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

lorn Wayne posted:

Does it come up on criminal record checks etc?

Not sure. Depends on the extent of the check. You aren't convicted of a felony. You're just getting court ordered therapy.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

All life is precious. So when someone kills a bunchof people, it's important to use it as a teachable moment- turning a person with terrible messed up brains into a different kind of terrible messed up brains.

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

Frackie Robinson posted:

Where did this come from? The justice system is about punishment, because you can't have laws without consequences. Maybe some of the consequences are too harsh, but it's never in human history truly been about rehabilitation.

lol the justice system is often loving wrong

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

Frackie Robinson posted:

What other kind of justice is there?

jesus loving christ

mama mia here u go, locked and hidden deeply within the sealed archives of wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_criminal_justice

basement jihadist fucked around with this message at 14:08 on May 16, 2015

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

FuturePastNow posted:

I think we shouldn't use the death penalty except in cases where someone killed lots of people and there's no doubt about their guilt or sanity.

So

Like this guy

so if there's doubt about someone's guilt or insanity it's okay to convict and imprison them, just make sure they stay alive

unless you sentence them to life without parole in which case welp

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

It's good to keep brutal sick murderers alive, because some of the best comic books involve a bad guy fighting with the good guys for a while, and the bad guys always have really slick powers.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

If we can somehow turn him, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's powers could be our own. Imagine the sick ownage we could do on ISIL with some of his pressure cooker bombs?

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
He doesn't deserve death since he did us all a favor by ridding us of a few Bostonians. He deserves FREEDOM!

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
the sooner he dies the sooner people can profit from selling shirts that have his dreamy hunky face on them so ironic teenagers can feel snarky

Lil Bit O Vitriol
Jan 10, 2010

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

If we can somehow turn him, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's powers could be our own. Imagine the sick ownage we could do on ISIL with some of his pressure cooker bombs?

You do realise that they aren't really gonna kill him, right? The next ten years will be spent training him into a living weapon. Then on the day of his execution there will be a big show with all the victims brought in to see him die then the curtain closes and Agent Tsarnaev (Callsign: Pressure-Cooker) will be put on the first flight to Donetsk to show Ivan that taking the Crimea wasn't the best idea.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I understand the death penalty in countries where "life in prison" means no more than 18 years.

I'll put a hundred bucks towards that breivik is released during the next decade, as in before 2029.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Frackie Robinson posted:

What other kind of justice is there?
there is no justice, only human interaction

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Killing is wrong, so we're going to put you to death for your crimes. :rolleyes:

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

death is good. to die is highly desirable

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

He should be drawn and quartered. As should anyone who does a terrorist attack against God's America.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Killing is so wrong that if you do it, you don't deserve to live.

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
Sometimes I agree with the death penalty and other times I don't.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Has there been a reaction from his crazy tween fan club?

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Does he have one unironically?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Lil Bit O Vitriol posted:

You do realise that they aren't really gonna kill him, right? The next ten years will be spent training him into a living weapon. Then on the day of his execution there will be a big show with all the victims brought in to see him die then the curtain closes and Agent Tsarnaev (Callsign: Pressure-Cooker) will be put on the first flight to Donetsk to show Ivan that taking the Crimea wasn't the best idea.

A stark, Fincher-esque lock down tracking shot shows Putin milling about his Moscow highrise penthouse. He paces on his cell phone "Da! Da!...Nyet!....Da! hhahhahaha" while stopping momentarily to pick food off the plate on the dining room table. He pauses and looks over- where did that pressure cooker come fro-

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rMV-rWaU-c

Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

carrion kit posted:

it sets a terrible example, allows for innocent people to be put to death, costs more money and doesn't work to curb crime. but the city was traumatized by his actions and this was a knee jerk reaction, hopefully an appeal will save his life. it's incredibly precious, all human lives. i know that deep down he's a sweet boy who made some bad choices i know he regrets.

i forgive you Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, and i love you.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Boxing's boring we need something for ppv.

Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

Volume posted:

Lethal injection seems too peaceful. Can we drop him into a cage full of hungry tigers?

This, but with hippos instead of tigers.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

killing is only acceptable in self-defense so really if we can defend society from someone without killing them we should do that instead. to do otherwise is barbaric and immoral, hth.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

As a secular humanist...

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

jarofpiss posted:

killing is only acceptable in self-defense so really if we can defend society from someone without killing them we should do that instead. to do otherwise is barbaric and immoral, hth.

I disagree, in principle there are totally people who we are better off without allowing them to draw breath, this guy is almost certainly one such example

the problem though is that we have no method of arbitrating guilt and selecting punishment that is reliable and accurate enough to make such decisions without an unacceptable loss of innocent life, so in practise the death penalty is barbaric and immoral

Bolek
May 1, 2003

I think the death penalty is barbaric and nothing but vengeance writ law. This is why I'd prefer life in a cage because if you think about it, it actually makes them suffer more gives them a chance to redeem themselves, somehow...

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The problem is that with the death penalty is that someone has to pull the trigger (or syringe). No one should ever have that responsibility.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
they could easily have robots do that now. do they not?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Egbert Souse posted:

The problem is that with the death penalty is that someone has to pull the trigger (or syringe). No one should ever have that responsibility.

that is not the problem at all, actually. killing people is not a trauma people are incapable of withstanding and in the right context it's pretty mundane.

the problem is definitely that there is no objective standard for determining guilt or culpability so innocent people will get executed and guilty people will get executed or spared based on completely arbitrary factors.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:

Egbert Souse posted:

*Pop*

Too bad he didn't twitch.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Terrorists keep killing liberals, and Cons want to avenge them lol

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

he should have been kept in a soundproof cushioned white room, in a straitjacket, strapped to a bed and kept alive by IV drip for the rest of his life

loving unimaginative jury full of pussies

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
I am not sure why so many people here have a problem with the death penalty. The death penalty is basically the life penalty, but shorter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Chonchon posted:

he should have been kept in a soundproof cushioned white room, in a straitjacket, strapped to a bed and kept alive by IV drip for the rest of his life

loving unimaginative jury full of pussies

what about da pee & poop

• Locked thread