Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

The defense attorney should have just read this to the jury. Would have really moved them.

It's not about a single case so much as what the system can inflict on any given person, innocent or guilty.

boston bomber? guilty idiot no denying.

are we willing to kill 1 innocent man just for the chance to kill 5 guilty men?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord
lol if you think he actually has a firm understanding of his alleged political / religious reasonss for murdering people

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

carrion kit posted:

lol if you think he actually has a firm understanding of his alleged political / religious reasonss for murdering people

I haven't bothered reading much about his ideology, but it sounded like the older brother planned it and he just helped follow through. Again, you're trolling, but he was going to a nice school so he probably wasn't stupid. I mean, that's the thing right? If he were some inner city kid or something it'd be one thing. But he seemingly was semi-intelligent and wanted to be martyred. Which the U.S. Justice system is now going to give him. Honestly, if cool heads were to prevail you'd be better incarcerating him for life as a message of "hey, you did a barbaric thing, but we're a liberal first world country and we're not going to stoop to your level". But we live in a country of semi-informed, temporarily disposed millionaires who get a whif of nationalism and go to town

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

killmeimmafailure posted:

I haven't bothered reading much about his ideology, but it sounded like the older brother planned it and he just helped follow through. Again, you're trolling, but he was going to a nice school so he probably wasn't stupid. I mean, that's the thing right? If he were some inner city kid or something it'd be one thing. But he seemingly was semi-intelligent and wanted to be martyred. Which the U.S. Justice system is now going to give him. Honestly, if cool heads were to prevail you'd be better incarcerating him for life as a message of "hey, you did a barbaric thing, but we're a liberal first world country and we're not going to stoop to your level". But we live in a country of semi-informed, temporarily disposed millionaires who get a whif of nationalism and go to town

It's important to make sure the punishment fits with PR goals.

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord

he was going to a nice school so he probably wasn't stupid

:yum:

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

It's important to make sure the punishment fits with PR goals.

Yeah, I'm more on what a liberal democracy should be doing in 2015 tip, but your point is valid. I'm back seat jury-ing

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Yeah, I'm more on what a liberal democracy should be doing in 2015 tip, but your point is valid. I'm back seat jury-ing

list_of_things_a_liberal_democracy_should_be_doing_in_2015.txt

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Kill all crimers.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

list_of_things_a_liberal_democracy_should_be_doing_in_2015.txt

1. killing innocent people through both judicial and extrajudicial means

wait

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

i'm against the death penalty because reasons, but also not exactly losing any sleep over this guy getting it, yknow?

yeah it's a waste of a life but the little bastard wasted it himself. kinda like he did the exchange student's and 8 year old little boy's lives

gently caress 'im

baalaagaa
Apr 9, 2004
I'm all for the death penalty, but we should do it ancient Rome style. Death row inmates in gladiatorial combat, wild animals tearing people apart & we could sell tickets to cover the cost of the trials.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

You guys getting riled up about him getting the death penalty should look at the broader picture. He's sentenced to death, which means that several appeals will come - thus pushing the execution date. If he's lucky, he'll be executed in 20 years or so; If not, he'll live the rest of his life miserably with the lingering thought that it all may end sooner rather than later.

Living in anguish for all that time is the real death penalty.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
lol the families of victims specifically asked for the death penalty to be withheld so that they wouldn't be forced to continuously relive the events through every appeal

gently caress them though right

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

lol the families of victims specifically asked for the death penalty to be withheld so that they wouldn't be forced to continuously relive the events through every appeal

They can never understand the pain of people who watched it on tv

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

It's like the terry shivo thing. Like, maybe the court of public opinion is just that. Like, 90% of news has to have some sort of political bent. I'm guilty of it too, but my excuse is nihilistic dread in the face of irrelevancy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I've never set foot in boston but as someone whose national pride was hurt by this act of violence even though americans murder each other over equally frivolous poo poo literally every single day and I am oblivious to it let me tell you stupid victims of the actual crime how we should handle this

• Locked thread